Yacht port confirmed to be built in Samui to attract tourists

webfact

Yacht Port Confirmed to be Built in Samui to Attract Tourists

KOH SAMUI: -- Jula Sukmanop the General Director of the Harbor Department has revealed plans to built yacht ports in Krabi and Samui. The Government will carry out a study to choose the most suitable location for the ports, once a decision has been made private organizations will be invest in the project and share their experience in attracting tourists.

Plans are also afoot to adjust the regulations with regards to facilitating foreign yacht and super yacht owners in a bit do attract them to Thailand. Plans include changes in the taxations levied and the period of time yacht owners might be allowed to stay in Thailand longer.

“At the Thailand Yacht Show that will be held on 8-14 February 2014 in Phuket, products and services will be showcased as well as leisure activities such as yacht hire. This will be the first yacht festival in Southeast Asia.”

Mr. Sukmanop went on to say says that the government has supported the project with 15 million Baht with the goal to set Thailand as the center of ASEAN marinas. It is expected that 40 foreign super yachts, 300 yachts, and more than 3,000 people will attend the event.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-09-23

“At the Thailand Yacht Show that will be held on 8-14 February 2014 in Phuket, products and services will be showcased as well as leisure activities such as yacht hire. This will be the first yacht festival in Southeast Asia

Wasn't 8-14 february 2014 last year? Why is it news now?

“At the Thailand Yacht Show that will be held on 8-14 February 2014 in Phuket, products and services will be showcased as well as leisure activities such as yacht hire. This will be the first yacht festival in Southeast Asia

Wasn't 8-14 february 2014 last year? Why is it news now?

Copy and paste from a previous article oblivious of the finer points of verb tenses? Look at the standard of English in the rest of the article. BTW Ocean marina in Jomtien has had a boat show for 2 years now, and I cannot believe there haven't been others previously in Singapore. Probably not the first in S.E. Asia at all.

4 Years ago I was paid to conduct a dive survey on the proposed site of the new marina to make sure there was nothing of any significance at the site. I was even given copies of the plans to conduct the survey with and it turned out to be nothing again

There has been talk of a marina in Samui for years but for reasons unknown the powers that be wont allow it

Whatever happened to the ski slope that was planned for Chaweng hills ? Or the huge water park or the condo development on the island of Chaweng lake ?

4 Years ago I was paid to conduct a dive survey on the proposed site of the new marina to make sure there was nothing of any significance at the site. I was even given copies of the plans to conduct the survey with and it turned out to be nothing again

There has been talk of a marina in Samui for years but for reasons unknown the powers that be wont allow it

Whatever happened to the ski slope that was planned for Chaweng hills ? Or the huge water park or the condo development on the island of Chaweng lake ?

Or the airport on Koh Phangan?

personally and judging by their maritime skill set, I would not moor any boat of mine ( if I had one ) anywhere near a Thai port or its facilities. I have travelled on some of their ferries and even looked at hiring a boat for a short time. After the RN taught me all I needed to know about boats etc , I felt driving or flying to places was a lot safer and now even flying is a tad iffy. Their maintainence skills are almost zero.

With this news, now all Samui has to do is figure out a way to upgrade it's services. It has been striving to become a five star island for years now. But, the broken Ring Road, the congestion, the lack of public transport, the sewer smell, the poor quality of the sea water, the taxi mafia, and the general lack of much that is fun, or exciting to do on the island continues to be an issue. When the Central Festival opened many hoped it would become sort of a mecca for people to come and hang out. But, the lack of indoor areas with AC, the fact that the cinema never opened, the lack of public seating within the mall, and the poor selection of restaurants have held the place back and disappointed thousands. Also, Samui continues to be one of the least progressive places in Thailand, when it comes to innovative design, traffic mitigation ideas, desalination, implementation of green energy, access to organic food, bakeries, dessert availability (the French Bakery does not count), vegan food, and more.

There was talk of upgrading the govt marinas in koh phangan too- i've seen grandiose plans for Thong Sala and a plan was being developed for Ban Tai also. I am hoping they will come to fruition. I haven't been able to find decent haul out facilities locally (with proper balanced slings similar to Ocean Marina) where my insurance will still be valid.

(boat 13 tons) Anyone know of current facilities in the koh samui area?

That aside any development should look to promote water based activities in general as its a huge industry that blends well with the south thailand image of being an area of recreation.

sailing clubs,rowing,windsurfing,kite surfing, the list is endless and growing all the time..

Lets hope they are designed well and enhance the beauty of the area by being landscaped professionally-in a similar way to the airport "boutique style" that seems to work well for this region..

There was talk of upgrading the govt marinas in koh phangan too- i've seen grandiose plans for Thong Sala and a plan was being developed for Ban Tai also. I am hoping they will come to fruition. I haven't been able to find decent haul out facilities locally (with proper balanced slings similar to Ocean Marina) where my insurance will still be valid.

(boat 13 tons) Anyone know of current facilities in the koh samui area?

That aside any development should look to promote water based activities in general as its a huge industry that blends well with the south thailand image of being an area of recreation.

sailing clubs,rowing,windsurfing,kite surfing, the list is endless and growing all the time..

Lets hope they are designed well and enhance the beauty of the area by being landscaped professionally-in a similar way to the airport "boutique style" that seems to work well for this region..

The very idea of promoting water based activities flies right into the face of the lazy, lethargic, do nothing local administration and the profound lack of creativity and pride, on the part of the Samui locals. Also it is a progressive and creative idea. Those two concepts do not exist in Samui. They never have.

Of course it is never too late. But Ramnate would need to be replaced as he has never had the juice. Someone open minded could come in, and set the place on the right path towards real progress and sustainable growth. The complete absense of that now, is a shock to the senses, to anyone who knows and loves Samui. My greatest fear, is that Samui will resemble the blight zone of SW Bali, within 10 years.

Or the airport on Koh Phangan?

That is its own thread (or two) and if the airport is ever finished the story would make a good lakorn (just add a love story and remove some of the really unbelievable parts).

All I will say is that all details of the airport have disappeared from kan air's website.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived