Curcumin (Turmeric) in Pill Form ?

freedomnow

Interesting that you're looking for it. I'm down to my last half bottle and have taken it for years. I need to get some, too. Tried to find Niacin last week, no luck at all. So if anyone knows who carries these sorts of supplements, spill the beans, OK. Thanks.

My massage therapist got some for me from a place described as the vegatarian food restaurant near the airport. There are lots of herbal supplements there also, I plan on checking it out when I have time. Could be this one

In the spring of 2014 Pun Pun opened our newest project located near Airport Plaza on Hang Dong Road. This project is a new restaurant and natural food store on a piece of land that also allows us to grow gardens and host events and workshops in the same space.

http://www.punpunthailand.org/index1766.html?page_id=21

http://www.veggieinchiangmai.com/#!pun-pun/ceeo

Cost me 45B for 50 vegan caps

Doug

I use the Curcumin/tumeric powder form on my cereal. Buy it bulk at Macro. As said you can purchase capsules and make them up your self.

For Niacin I get it from iHerb in the states. inexpensive and if you keep your orders around$40 no duty on them. Right to your door delivery. Never looked there for the Curcumin/turmeric.

• Like 1

great article, this is the original one http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/600-reasons-turmeric-may-be-worlds-most-important-herb and another article

https://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/turmeric

this is the group who make the brand I have http://www.asoke.info/01Religion/Santi_Asoke.html - really interesting. I now have a bulk bag of 300 capsules for under 200B.

Doug

Edited by muskoka
  • Like 1

Turmeric (kà-mîn ขมิ้น) is available at Pharma House Pharmacy next to CM Gate Market. It is a local Thai brand of herb - on the top shelf to the left as you walk in the front door - I think in a bottle of 100 capsules. As Cheesecraft mentioned, the bioavailability is greatly increased if taken along with Thai black pepper.

Found them in a few chemists here in Phuket so they should be available in CM. They are the GMP brand and known as "Kamin-Chun" and is Curcuma Longa Linn.

Small container of 100 caps of 500mg......sometimes they seem to affect my reflux, anyone else had this problem?

Turmeric (kà-mîn ขมิ้น) is available at Pharma House Pharmacy next to CM Gate Market. It is a local Thai brand of herb - on the top shelf to the left as you walk in the front door - I think in a bottle of 100 capsules. As Cheesecraft mentioned, the bioavailability is greatly increased if taken along with Thai black pepper.

LOL , is that the pharmacy just outside the gate renovated in the last year where the owner picks his rip-off price for touristas. Every time I bought something in there it was 50% more than other places.

I buy it at the Vegetarian Society. Many options: capsules, powder, compressed pills. etc. I get the compressed pills. Its 200 (400mg) pills for around 60B

On road to airport just off south-west corner of moat ?

Edited by freedomnow

Yes.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Vegetarian+Society/@18.7761179,98.9757557,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xc291806b48780569

I buy it at the Vegetarian Society. Many options: capsules, powder, compressed pills. etc. I get the compressed pills. Its 200 (400mg) pills for around 60B

On road to airport just off south-west corner of moat ?

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking for the same. I talk to my GF about Curcumin, and she says "Oh, you can get that in the market, it's very cheap". I say no, Kaminn is Turmeric (not to be confused with Kumin either).

They don't seem to have a word in Thai for Curcumin. I'm looking for C95 preferably micronised, or if a ready made product then something like the Solgar brand ($54.95 at i-herb for 60 caps). The latter sure works, but it's only 40mg of actives (the main 3 curcuminoids), the rest is the carrier. There is another brand called Metacurcumin that appears to be roughly the same, with a few extras like Tween 80 (polyscorbate 80) for slower absorption and release in micelles for greater Area Under the Curve (AUC), as regular Curcumin (even the 95% with piperine) has ridiculously low bioavailability and is quickly excreted (probably not a bad thing if you want it just to go to the colon or something). I've used it with DMSO in which it is several hundreds of times more bioavailable (if not 1000's) - I think EtOH (Ethanol to the rest of us) is similar, but saturates at about 1mg/ml, which still only registers as µg levels in blood/serum - still, at least it registers, which regular curcumin is so low it's very hard to detect. Various oils (it is somewhat oil soluble) helps, but you quickly get bored of that.

I've also found a 100% water soluble version...but... it too is ridiculously expensive and contains only 2mg per 1000mg of product, with the rest being their 'secret' proprietary formula. I have quite a lot of experience with Liposomal carriers too, but it just wouldn't be viable in this particular case, so plain 95% extract is what I'm looking as I have some ideas for making a carrier, if anyone has any ideas. Failing that it's off too Aliexpress or Alibaba.

Edited by Shiver
  • Like 1

So the Curcurmin you want is a part of Turmeric and you want to buy it isolated out of the Tumeric rather than eat Tumeric to get it?

Yes that's correct. Ideally I'd like Tetrahydrocurcumin (a metabolite of one of the curcuminoids), but I'm not holding my breath.

The speed at which it can arrest proliferation of some cancers (particularly MGF-7 in breast cancer) as well as trigger apoptosis whilst leaving 'healthy' cells alone is astonishing...just days. It has value in cancer in other parts of the body too, but perhaps a little too technical a topic for this particular thread which is/was about sourcing. But..no patent no research (as usual - meaning mouse models but not human, which are not the same at all).

My own use is for the liver and its anti-inflammatory properties, preventing fibrosis (a good pre and post alcohol measure), and ...theoretically... over what I'm guestimating to be several years, actually reverse fibrosis.

There are endless other applications for it too, all of them good.

Interesting that you're looking for it. I'm down to my last half bottle and have taken it for years. I need to get some, too. Tried to find Niacin last week, no luck at all. So if anyone knows who carries these sorts of supplements, spill the beans, OK. Thanks.

http://www.iherb.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw5cG8BRDQj_CNh9nwxTUSJAAHdX3f-fKSQltojd7q4_SZM5QDi7zR3CaGQ09DEjjbqIlPOhoCf3vw_wcB

iHerb remember the shipping cost and their 2Kg limit. I wanted a particular type of tea from there and had to place multiple orders because of weight.

For some reason, if I eat a lot of certain things (melon being one), I get a mild version of a niacin rush. I haven't bothered to look at what is in it and whether that is what is causing it, but might be worth a bit of research and see if it is available in powder form perhaps for smoothies or something within Thailand. I know cantaloupe powder is available, but I was referring to the red centred one.

If by the real thing you mean Turmeric, then it has a fairly small percentage of what we're looking for (not useless, but tough to take enough, especially if you don't enjoy taking many tablespoons per day - many tablespoons).

The extract is easier, but even then, because it isn't water soluble 'as is' makes that too a limited functionality. If it were injected IV or inter peritoneal then it's a different story, but I've never heard of that being available. I'm looking for an orally active component of something relatively potent, and the only way I can see of doing that is to use a carrier (lots of studies on that in mice, but no 'aha' moments so far for human use).

So, I'm looking for Curcumin 95%+ without piperine or any other adulterants to experiment with. Shouldn't be hard to find in Thailand (as it grows here) rather than importing it back here from another country.

• 1 year later...

Curcumin herbal  capsules are sold in the health store/pharmacy opposite Tops inside the Central Plaza mall . 100 baht for 100 capsules. 

Edited by balo

On 15/08/2017 at 0:52 PM, eezergood said:

any new updates for curcumin sources - preferably in tablet form

As others have recommended above, I am ordering curcumin from iHerb in the USA. Shipping cost is very reasonable and as long as I keep each order value below about 1000 baht, my shipment is not caught up by Customs.

BTW, and also as others have mentioned in the thread, curcumin is very poorly absorbed by your digestive system. Consider curcumin phytosome, which is the fat soluble form that has been shown have better bioavailability and absorption. 

Reference: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24461029