Why do I always burn the rice in the rice cooker?

SS1

I'm being told that rice cookers are the simplest things in the world to use.. but yet somehow I always manage to burn the rice using them. What could I be doing wrong? I usually cook small amounts at a time for one meal.

First I had a really cheap rice cooker, that burned a 1cm layer of rice to the bottom every single time I used it. After trying different amounts of water and rinsing the rice more thouroughly with no help, I threw it away and bought a new one.

This new rice cooker is a better one from Electrolux with a teflon surface. With this one, the rice doesn't get stuck but it still burns and I get a yellow layer near the bottom!

What am I doing wrong? Here is what I normally do:

1. Rinse the rice with tap water thoroughly at least 2 times

2. Add water (ardound same amount as rice or more)

2. Dry the bottom of the pan from any dirt/water

3. Put it on.

If I decrease the amount of water, I get drier rice with a yellow bottom, and if I incrase it I get rice porridge with a yellow bottom.

Did your rice cooker come with a measuring cup for rice and water (most do), use it!

It's possible that you are cooking too little rice for the cooker, get a smaller cooker, one-person units are readily available and cheap.

Even I can't burn rice in a rice cooker.

Did your rice cooker come with a measuring cup for rice and water (most do), use it!

It's possible that you are cooking too little rice for the cooker, get a smaller cooker, one-person units are readily available and cheap.

This must be it! It's a regular-sized one and I'm cooking very small amounts at the moment as I'm on a diet.

How often do you eat rice ?

Myself always cook the same amount, 3 cups of rice and up to the 4 mark on the pot.... I always mix white and brown rice together so needs extra water....

it then goes into a rice lidded container and put in the fridge, take out what I need for a meal and pop in the microwave for 1 min = perfect the pot of cooked rice last 5 - 7 days

Feel sure if I was going to cook just 1x small portion at a time would do it in the microwave or on the stove

Myself always cook the same amount, 3 cups of rice and up to the 4 mark on the pot.... I always mix white and brown rice together so needs extra water....

it then goes into a rice lidded container and put in the fridge, take out what I need for a meal and pop in the microwave for 1 min = perfect the pot of cooked rice last 5 - 7 days

Feel sure if I was going to cook just 1x small portion at a time would do it in the microwave or on the stove

I eat rice every day, so that's a good idea! I'll just make more portions each time and keep the rest in the fridge.. saves electricity too.

"2. Add water (ardound same amount as rice or more)"

I use at least twice the amount of water as rice. i.e., two measures of rice (using the small measuring cup that came with the rice cooker) and a bit more than 4 measures of water for long grain Jasmine rice (Khao hom mali) in a small cooker.

Also when you set the container in the cooker you need to spin it around a bit so it sits properly on the the spring device in the cooker or it won't cut off as soon as the temperature starts to rise after the water is cooked off. The bottom of the container should be dry and clean when you put it in the cooker too.

Even with a mini-cooker I think two rice measures should be the minimum even if it's more than you need for a meal. You can reheat leftovers quickly in the microwave for use later in the day and rice that was cooked the previous day works better for fried rice or khao pad.

I learned to coo rice in 1963 in Okinawa and have never failed.

This is the way they have been cooking rice for an eternity. The common people do it this way. You can even cook rice in a hubcap if you do it this way.

Put the rice in the pot, any amount, you don't need to measure. In Asia you should rinse the rice, removing any bugs or small rocks. Pour in water and measure with your index finger from the top of the rice to surface of the water at the first knuckle. At sea level you just simply stick your finger in and the water level should be at the first joint. I live at 8000 feet elevation so I go to the second knuckle.

Cover the pot with a lid, (I used a wooden lid as they did in Okinawa) but any lid will do. Bring to a boil then turn down to a slow simmer. A few minutes. When you see little holes in the top of the rice (steam vents) turn off the heat and let the rice rest while it steams with the lid on. The lid is important for the steaming. Let it sit for 20 or more minutes.

Learn to do it this way then you can go to a rice cooker.

Nasi Lemak is the Malay name, I forgot what it is in Thai. This is heavenly. Pour in a can of Coconut milk and top off with water to the above instructions. Cook as you would normal rice. It is soooooo good!

My wife throws in a couple eggs to hard boil them.

Throw in some vegetable, Chicken, Pork or beef bullion for flavored rice.

I always use Jasmine but you can use any kind of rice as long as you follow the basic rule. First knuckle, use a lid.

Put the rice in the fridge and use it the next day for fried rice.

Rice pilaf is a little different in cooking but still basically the same.

Good luck.

I find that they do not cook small amounts very well, ie not single serving.

You may also be a little short on water.

2:1 works for me.

Don't put it on too long before you need it, up to an hour.

I also add just a little olive oil and mix it in, seem to get less sticking problems.

first, you never know if your cheap rice cooker is calibrated correctly at the factory in China !

I use 2 cups rice and 4 1/4 cups water as I want the rice to stick in clumps , not be "dry" like was how it was cooked when I was younger ,

also I put some garlic powder in the water , or sometimes curry powder !

I'm continuously having problems as well. I felt like I was the only person in Asia that couldn't cook rice. Got me a top-of-the-line rice cooker (I never saw any smaller ones where I shopped but will keep an eye out in the future). I normally use the Hong Thong mixed rice and cook 1/2 to 1 cup at a time.

I found with my cooker that I have to go 4-1 (water to rice), or even 4 1/4 to 1. Anything less and the rice seems to be only about 3/4's cooked. Too much more and it starts looking like porridge. It really sucks when trying to make just a half cup. I'll add 2 1/2 cups of water and I find often I've got to add at least another 1/2 cup (and reset the "cook" button again). I think it's because the water boils off too quickly with only a small amount of rice in the pot.

Next time I'll try the "first knuckle" measure and maybe try cooking a little more and refrigerating the excess. Right now what I tend to do is eat half of what I cook for supper and putting the rest in a bowl, adding some raisins, cinnamon, a wee bit of sugar and some coconut milk. Stir it up and throw it in the fridge then in the morning nuke it for 2 minutes and breakfast is served !

Having read some of the replies, especially the ones advising using the refrigerator for storage after cooking the rice, made me want to go online and see if it was only an old wives tale I had listened to years ago.

This following text is taken from NHS.UK website.

Can reheating rice cause food poisoning?

Yes. You can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. However, it's not the reheating that causes the problem but the way the rice has been stored before it was reheated.

How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.

If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.

Symptoms of food poisoning

If you eat rice that contains Bacillus cereus bacteria you may be sick and experience vomiting or diarrhoea about 1-5 hours afterwards. Symptoms are relatively mild and usually last about 24 hours.

Tips on serving rice safely

ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked

if that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour)

keep rice in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating

when you reheat any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through

do not reheat rice more than once

Been cooking rice to perfection for years...it is a simple formula really...

One does not have to use a rice cooker...any pot large enough to hold the rice and water will do...

2 to 1 ratio...two cups water...one cup rice...you can not go wrong...

If cooking in a pot...bring to boil...reduce heat...check to see if water is all out by lifting pot and turning to one side...if no water appears and the rice does not slide to the side...then it is done...

Try not to over cook...you can use a little olive oil or butter to help keep it from burning...

Enjoy!

Having read some of the replies, especially the ones advising using the refrigerator for storage after cooking the rice, made me want to go online and see if it was only an old wives tale I had listened to years ago.

Yes. You can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. However, it's not the reheating that causes the problem but the way the rice has been stored before it was reheated.

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.

If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.

If you eat rice that contains Bacillus cereus bacteria you may be sick and experience vomiting or diarrhoea about 1-5 hours afterwards. Symptoms are relatively mild and usually last about 24 hours.

if that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour)

when you reheat any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through

Makes you wonder how entire countries have got around this? Thailand being 1 of them, I've seen some leave the rice sitting on the table from morning and can still eat it that evening without a problem..

This must be it! It's a regular-sized one and I'm cooking very small amounts at the moment as I'm on a diet.

Nothing better for your diet then burning your food and making it inedible.

Really? This is what we have come down to? Cooking rice? Well here's my 10 cents.

Option 1: Try reading the manual and DIY.whistling.gif

Option 2: Find a woman DI4U (Option 2 would be the best, you should have just enough time for a quick one while the rice is cooking) thumbsup.gif

option 3 , do you have the manual for Option 2 smile.png and how do I know she can cook rice and not just buy a cooked "bag" at the street stall ?

I am so confused !

Makes you wonder how entire countries have got around this? Thailand being 1 of them, I've seen some leave the rice sitting on the table from morning and can still eat it that evening without a problem..

But you don't know how many people get sick do you? The UK (and EU in general) are a bit nanny when it comes to these things but better to take precautions rather then sped 24 hours of unpleasantness.

Yes rice is THE major cause of travellers' diarrhea!!

As for the amount of water to add.......well the cooking bowl has markings on it so if you use the measuring cup for the rice then put in the amount of water marked on the side of the bowl; simple really. And you might want to add a teaspoon of coconut oil to it, nice fragrance/taste and stops sticking.

I find that they do not cook small amounts very well, ie not single serving.

You may also be a little short on water.

2:1 works for me.

Don't put it on too long before you need it, up to an hour.

I also add just a little olive oil and mix it in, seem to get less sticking problems.

Second this one, not possible to cook single servings. You might consider using a coffee percolator for this purpose. This will also remove a lot of the Arsenic in the rice. With a coffee percolator however, you will need to run through a lot of water until the rice is cooked. But very well cooked it will be and good taste without Arsenic too.

I eat rice every day, so that's a good idea! I'll just make more portions each time and keep the rest in the fridge.. saves electricity too.

+1...Good idea.

I learned to coo rice in 1963 in Okinawa and have never failed.

This is the way they have been cooking rice for an eternity. The common people do it this way. You can even cook rice in a hubcap if you do it this way.

Put the rice in the pot, any amount, you don't need to measure. In Asia you should rinse the rice, removing any bugs or small rocks. Pour in water and measure with your index finger from the top of the rice to surface of the water at the first knuckle. At sea level you just simply stick your finger in and the water level should be at the first joint. I live at 8000 feet elevation so I go to the second knuckle.

Cover the pot with a lid, (I used a wooden lid as they did in Okinawa) but any lid will do. Bring to a boil then turn down to a slow simmer. A few minutes. When you see little holes in the top of the rice (steam vents) turn off the heat and let the rice rest while it steams with the lid on. The lid is important for the steaming. Let it sit for 20 or more minutes.

Learn to do it this way then you can go to a rice cooker.

Nasi Lemak is the Malay name, I forgot what it is in Thai. This is heavenly. Pour in a can of Coconut milk and top off with water to the above instructions. Cook as you would normal rice. It is soooooo good!

My wife throws in a couple eggs to hard boil them.

Throw in some vegetable, Chicken, Pork or beef bullion for flavored rice.

I always use Jasmine but you can use any kind of rice as long as you follow the basic rule. First knuckle, use a lid.

Put the rice in the fridge and use it the next day for fried rice.

Rice pilaf is a little different in cooking but still basically the same.

Good luck.

Dun eat too much Nasi Lemak Bro you get heart attack very fast is already proven 20+years ago thats Too much cholesterol for you.

Here is an easy one.....

1c. rice.

2 and a quarter c of water with 1 chicken knoor cube.

half of a small can of tomato paste. 3oz.

2tb olive oil.

1diced onion.

1diced tomato.

2cloves mashed garlic.

a few chilis and some red pepper flakes.

dash of pepper. .

Spanish rice.

Archived