Why do I always burn the rice in the rice cooker?

SS1

Firstly, let me say that rice is a natural product. That means it has rice weevil eggs which will hatch into rice weevils in your rice. For no bugs, always cycle your rice through the freezer for 24 hours and then store in the fridge. Freezing bursts the weevil eggs.

For just two or three of us, a 1.8 litre rice cooker is ideal. Whether you use white rice or not (we use brown rice with a couple of handsful of red or black rice), the first knuckle method always works.

Furthermore, we leave the rice cooker on 24/7 so a hot meal is always waiting.. Sometimes we don't finish that last scoop of rice for up to ten days, with no loss of flavour, though it can get a little crunchy around the edge. The trick here is always to serve from the centre of the pile of rice and pull in the edges to moisten them up again

We tried at least half a dozen brand-name rice cookers. Using the method above, every one of them turned the rice mouldy after several days, meaning the moisture was being retained instead of evaporating off slowly.

Sharp. Served up fresh, hot rice for 20 years. Yum!

If you are living on your own in Thailand i would recommend the baby rice cookers.Try different types of rice and find the one you like the best.( most markets will sell you 5 baht's worth of rice )

Rinse the rice well to start with.Use clean bottled water always and for every cup of rice you use then add twice the amount of water.Always use cold water (not hot) switch on the rice cooker and close the lid and switch the on/off switch to " ON " and leave it. NEVER OPEN THE RICE COOKER UNTIL THE END OF THE PROCESS.

The baby rice cookers make loads of rice!!

Viewers! for a delicious homemade rice pudding add to the cooked rice a can of coronation milk and brown sugar but watch carefully as this can burn your rice cooker!

The Galloping Gourmet ....clap2.gif x

If you are living on your own in Thailand i would recommend the baby rice cookers.Try different types of rice and find the one you like the best.( most markets will sell you 5 baht's worth of rice )

Rinse the rice well to start with.Use clean bottled water always and for every cup of rice you use then add twice the amount of water.Always use cold water (not hot) switch on the rice cooker and close the lid and switch the on/off switch to " ON " and leave it. NEVER OPEN THE RICE COOKER UNTIL THE END OF THE PROCESS.

Viewers! for a delicious homemade rice pudding add to the cooked rice a can of coronation milk and brown sugar but watch carefully as this can burn your rice cooker!

facepalm.gif As rice pudding has a nice brown top on it, how does that work in a rice cooker ??

Always cooked it in the oven, maybe that is not the done thing these days ?

The first reply is accurate - only thing is I add a small amount of butter in the mix - and a dash of salt.............I have a family of seven with a gigantic Rice Cooker, have never seen a burnt kernal in years of use.............wai2.gif

Firstly, let me say that rice is a natural product. That means it has rice weevil eggs which will hatch into rice weevils in your rice. For no bugs, always cycle your rice through the freezer for 24 hours and then store in the fridge. Freezing bursts the weevil eggs.

For just two or three of us, a 1.8 litre rice cooker is ideal. Whether you use white rice or not (we use brown rice with a couple of handsful of red or black rice), the first knuckle method always worksarrow-10x10.png.

Furthermore, we leave the rice cooker on 24/7 so a hot meal is always waiting.. Sometimes we don't finish that last scoop of rice for up to ten days, with no loss of flavour, though it can get a little crunchy around the edge. The trick here is always to serve from the centre of the pile of rice and pull in the edges to moisten them up again

We tried at least half a dozen brand-name rice cookers. Using the method above, every one of them turned the rice mouldy after several days, meaning the moisture was being retained instead of evaporating off slowly.

Sharp. Served up fresh, hot rice for 20 years. Yum!

I am always told the weevils polish the rice for you and the weevil poo is flavoring, leave them be!!

Really? This is what we have come down to? Cooking rice? Well here's my 10 cents.

Option 1: Try reading the manual and DIY.whistling.gif

Option 2: Find a woman DI4U (Option 2 would be the best, you should have just enough time for a quick one while the rice is cooking) thumbsup.gif

option 3 , do you have the manual for Option 2 smile.png and how do I know she can cook rice and not just buy a cooked "bag" at the street stall ?

I am so confused !

Sorry, no manual for option 2 its not very hard in this country though.

Let her try cook it the first time, if she burns it your quick one wasn't quick enough, try a 2nd time..

If she burns it again all you lost was 2 cups of rice and you got a couple a quick one's out of it.. thumbsup.gif

When I first moved to Bangkok I was pretty much starting out. I learned how to use my trusty old rice cooker to make meals. Its really just a slow cooker. Made all kinds of great meals. There were very few Western chains here then But the big hotels had killer buffets for next to nothing.......

facepalm.gif As rice pudding has a nice brown top on it, how does that work in a rice cooker ??

Always cooked it in the oven, maybe that is not the done thing these days ?

There are hundreds of things you can cook in a rice cooker! you can even make your own bread! for just 300 baht they are more usefull than a microwave oven! Trust me the rice puddings are delicious oh and sprinkle a bit of nutmeg just to taste.........x

When I first moved to Bangkok I was pretty much starting out. I learned how to use my trusty old rice cooker to make meals. Its really just a slow cooker. Made all kinds of great meals. There were very few Western chains here then But the big hotels had killer buffets for next to nothing.......

Yep, I make a great beef bourguignon in my rice cooker (slow cook setting...3 hrs) then strain off the "gravy" and reduce it in a pan after further adding an oxo cube.

Pair it with a nice Aussie red and "heaven" (French red too expensive and not the choice).

Archived