Eye surgery at Queen Sirikit Hospital Sattahip

Jingthing

Specifically for cataracts.

I've read that for the many people living in Pattaya, the best choices for cataract surgery are not in Pattaya, but rather in Bangkok or alternatively at Queen Sirikit Hospital Sattahip.

Which of course is much more convenient for people in Pattaya ... no need for multiple trips to Bangkok staying in hotels.

It's very easy to find out about the great eye surgeons in Bangkok, but here I am asking for specific information about eye surgeons in Sattahip.

Also the special issues of using Queen Sirikit Hospital being a non-Thai speaker.

So if people have such information, please share it.

Thank you.

To add: not seeking info here on Pattaya or Bangkok based eye surgeons.

Note: if moderation thinks this topic is better in the Pattaya forum, OK with me.

I have been down that road, don't waste your time in Satterhip. Get it done in BKK.

Why avoid Queen Sirikit exactly for eye surgery?

I think that our esteemed moderator here, Sheryl, has suggested this hospital as a decent option for eye surgery.

Why put the question here, just ask Sheryl.

I gave you my opinion based on my experience at that hospital.

Fine. I think you are saying without saying that you know nothing about the eye surgeons there though. That's cool. If it's true they have excellent surgeons and the right equipment, the only reason not to use them would be the special problems of using a hospital not really geared to foreigners. I recognize that issue but not sure yet if that means the option should be ruled out.

As far as just asking Sheryl, yes I hope she has something to add, but as this is a forum actual patients of eye surgeons there might have something to add too! The more info the better.

Queen Sirikit is a viable alternative for those who cannot afford a private hospital. But, like in all government hospitals (except those that have a dual track private channel), you cannot choose your doctor. So it's luck of the draw, and much of the care may be provided b residents in training.

I am also not sure how much range they offer in terms of lenses. Type of lens is an important decision (with cost implications) in cataract surgery.

• 1 month later...

Jingthing, did you go down there? If not where did you go?

My wife has been blind in one eye since she was 4 years old. She was playing with a friend and got hit on the head with a garden hoe. I believe the nerve was cut in her head that helped her eye grow and function. I don't really know to be honest - she did not want to talk about it too much.

She is 43 years old now and would suddenly like to do something about it. I have been married to her for 13 years and this is only the second time she has mentioned trying to have it operated on. The first time was when we first met and at that time she went to the hospital on her own and was told there was nothing that could be done. I was new to Pattaya at the time and did not realise just how different the quality of care was between different hospitals, so it may have been the hospital did not really have anyone with the right expertise. I think it was Pattaya Memorial.

To be honest, I don't want to get her hopes up, I am not at all hopeful that this can be operated on, as I was told the nerve was cut in the head. Still maybe science has moved on in the last 13 years or so.

I know about Rutnin Eye hospital in Bangkok, a friend of mine went there recently. However, it got quite difficult going there each time and if there is a place near Pattaya that we could go for an initial check/diagnosis then that would be a great help.

Thanks

Jingthing, did you go down there? If not where did you go?

My wife has been blind in one eye since she was 4 years old. She was playing with a friend and got hit on the head with a garden hoe. I believe the nerve was cut in her head that helped her eye grow and function. I don't really know to be honest - she did not want to talk about it too much.

She is 43 years old now and would suddenly like to do something about it. I have been married to her for 13 years and this is only the second time she has mentioned trying to have it operated on. The first time was when we first met and at that time she went to the hospital on her own and was told there was nothing that could be done. I was new to Pattaya at the time and did not realise just how different the quality of care was between different hospitals, so it may have been the hospital did not really have anyone with the right expertise. I think it was Pattaya Memorial.

To be honest, I don't want to get her hopes up, I am not at all hopeful that this can be operated on, as I was told the nerve was cut in the head. Still maybe science has moved on in the last 13 years or so.

I know about Rutnin Eye hospital in Bangkok, a friend of mine went there recently. However, it got quite difficult going there each time and if there is a place near Pattaya that we could go for an initial check/diagnosis then that would be a great help.

Thanks

You could take your wife to the eye centre at the Bangkok (Pattaya) hospital.

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/healthcare-services-en/eye-center-en.html

The cost of an outpatient consultation will not be exorbitant.

If your wife is Thai then the Queen Sirikit hospital would be a viable alternative for her.

After 39 years of blindness I think you are correct in not wishing to raise your wife's hopes/expectations.

oncearugge, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am not that hopeful. I discussed this with the doctor back in 2003, I am sure he was an eye expert and we had lots of tests carried out. Still medical advances are happening all the time. I have had a bad experience with Bangkok Pattaya hospital in the past so tend to avoid them nowadays. I thought the Queen Sirikit just as a first point of contact to discuss what could be done. I do not necesarily think they would take on a difficult operation, but they would at least know just what the state of play in the medical field for this sort of eye problem currently is.

Sheryl, thanks for telling me that. I was not that hopeful, but I will certainly still look into what can be done, but without getting her hopes up too much.

I think a trip to Queen Sirikit to have her checked out and diagnosed would be well worth it, so at least I can understand the situation as well.

Thanks again

oncearugge, thanks for the reply. Yes, I am not that hopeful. I discussed this with the doctor back in 2003, I am sure he was an eye expert and we had lots of tests carried out. Still medical advances are happening all the time. I have had a bad experience with Bangkok Pattaya hospital in the past so tend to avoid them nowadays. I thought the Queen Sirikit just as a first point of contact to discuss what could be done. I do not necesarily think they would take on a difficult operation, but they would at least know just what the state of play in the medical field for this sort of eye problem currently is.

I think what you mean is you experienced a "problem" with one or a few people who work at BPH not every member of the clinical staff.

IMHO rejecting in total what a hospital offers, based on one poor personal experience, could be a mistake.

Sheryl, thanks for telling me that. I was not that hopeful, but I will certainly still look into what can be done, but without getting her hopes up too much.

I think a trip to Queen Sirikit to have her checked out and diagnosed would be well worth it, so at least I can understand the situation as well.

Thanks again

If it is a severed optic nerve(which seems to be what you describe) , nothing can be done. Research on possible treatments is still in the stage of experiments on animals..

Archived