secular buddhism

zazeel

I don't know about Chiang Mai but a good online site is eckharttolletv.com I like the way he explains philosophical concepts, especially Buddhist ones, without the dogma and esoteric jargon which so often accompanies Buddhism. If you're into secular Buddhism, I think that you'll like it. So many religious Buddhists turn me off with their obscure references to Pali writings and Zen sayings and concepts. Eckhart Tolle provides the great spiritual philosophies in terms that the ordinary westerner can understand. Check it out!

I don't know about Chiang Mai but a good online site is eckharttolletv.com I like the way he explains philosophical concepts, especially Buddhist ones, without the dogma and esoteric jargon which so often accompanies Buddhism. If you're into secular Buddhism, I think that you'll like it. So many religious Buddhists turn me off with their obscure references to Pali writings and Zen sayings and concepts. Eckhart Tolle provides the great spiritual philosophies in terms that the ordinary westerner can understand. Check it out!

Buddhist teachers impart their knowledge for free. Tolle, Dyer and Chopra make themselves fabulously wealthy paraphrasing concepts developed by others

yes thanks 'dog', i'm a big follower of E.T...have read 'a new earth' several times over and its continually with me when i need a little help letting go of ego...

i watch his stuff daily on youtube...

as you say he puts the old teachings together so well for todays world....

but what i'm looking for is a meditation group that is buddhist based but without all the religious dogma and chanting etc....

Buddhist teachers impart their knowledge for free. Tolle, Dyer and Chopra make themselves fabulously wealthy paraphrasing concepts developed by others

buddhist teachers are wonderful....but they're not for everbody....and most i know in the west charge for their services in some way.....not sure they would get far walking around with a begging bowl where i come from!! here in thailand buddhist monks have a huge set up behind them....they are supported in many ways by the community.....not too many live on fresh air....and i've seen a lot with very expensive mobile phones...

not saying theres anything wrong with all that...they live in the 21st century just like the rest of us....just saying that 'free' is a relative term.....

and i really havent contributed too much to the wealth of the authors you speak of apart from buying one or two books...the same as i've bought books by people such as tich naht hahn....

and the teachings of all the authors you speak of are free to watch on youtube....frankly i need the paraphrasing they offer for the world i live in...

theres room for all.....

buddhist teachers are wonderful....but they're not for everbody....and most i know in the west charge for their services in some way.....not sure they would get far walking around with a begging bowl where i come from!! here in thailand buddhist monks have a huge set up behind them....they are supported in many ways by the community.....not too many live on fresh air....and i've seen a lot with very expensive mobile phones...

not saying theres anything wrong with all that...they live in the 21st century just like the rest of us....just saying that 'free' is a relative term.....

and i really havent contributed too much to the wealth of the authors you speak of apart from buying one or two books...the same as i've bought books by people such as tich naht hahn....

and the teachings of all the authors you speak of are free to watch on youtube....frankly i need the paraphrasing they offer for the world i live in...

theres room for all.....

tich naht han doesnt keep the money rather he uses it for his charitable work. buying one or two books times the millions like you is exactly the point! and the teachers in the area I live in share their wisdom freely.

yes thanks 'dog', i'm a big follower of E.T...have read 'a new earth' several times over and its continually with me when i need a little help letting go of ego...

i watch his stuff daily on youtube...

as you say he puts the old teachings together so well for todays world....

but what i'm looking for is a meditation group that is buddhist based but without all the religious dogma and chanting etc....

Hi Z (not sure if pronounced Zee or Zed smile.png )

I must admit, I'm not big on the chanting.

When on retreat, I avoid the chanting sessions by remaining in the meditation hall.

At Wat Suan Mokkh in southern Thailand they offer the option.

Which dogma do you have an aversion too?

Archived