Heard From A Thai That a Facebook Posting Is Claiming That Two Passports Are Now Allowed

After many years of Thailand being a grey area for having two Passports? i.e One Thai Passport and one other Country of your country choice,as I understand it this question has never been resolved satisfactorarily,so I am asking if any other members have heard of this! what might turn out to be just another rumour?

Edited by MAJIC

They have traveled in and out of Thailand using both passports, no problems with dual citizenship unless it has changed in recent weeks.

Where did you get the idea that it has been a "grey area for years"?

Edited by sipi

They have traveled in and out of Thailand using both passports, no problems with dual citizenship unless it has changed in recent weeks.

Where did you get the idea that it has been a "grey area for years"?

Because of uninformed, moronic statements to the contrary that Thaksin made back when he was PM. Thailand recognizes dual citizenship with dozens of countries, has for decades and is bound by ratified treaty.

Edited by BudRight
  • Like 2

whistling.gif Depends on your country and agreements between it and Thailand.

Dual nationality has been recognized between U.S.A. and Thailand for many years.

I personally have seen many Thai born people with U.S. passports at Chanengwattana immigration waiting for 90 day reporting with their U.S. passports.

Not sure why they chose to use their U.S passport over their Thai passport, but they did.

Thailand has allowed dual nationality for many, many years.

My wife and daughter have been dual Thai/British nationals and held both passports for over 10 years.

The confusion, I understand, arises because of poor wording in Thai nationality law. Whether that is poor wording in the Thai original or in translations of same I can't say.

The appropriate section can be read as meaning child dual Thai/other nationals have to decide at the age of 21 which nationality to keep; but in practice it's they may renounce their Thai nationality and keep the other at age 21 if they wish to so do.

Some countries do not allow dual nationality and so may require a Thai to renounce their Thai nationality if they whish to become citizens of that country. But that is their law, not Thailand's.

The point is, u are in way obligated to tell another country, which passports you hold......

In some cases, you even have to report having another nationality. I believe that is the case with Russia.

When you apply for a British passport, you have to at least state which other countries' passports you hold. For an application from the UK, you are supposed to submit them.

The nationality questions when registering to vote in the UK can be interpreted as requiring one to report all one's nationalities. I've a feeling that a British dual national householder over 18 in the UK is required to report that he appears to be eligible to vote, but is not required to register to vote.

When you apply for a British passport, you have to at least state which other countries' passports you hold. For an application from the UK, you are supposed to submit them.

It's compulsory to submit the foreign passport that an applicant resides on in the UK. Fortunately, IPS accept a facsimile as long as every page is copied. That's 52 pages of passport at two pages per side of A4 for a Thai passport. A tedious task photocopying 26 pages but preferable to sending the passport.

Edited by wooloomooloo