Need Restaurant / Food Stall Recommendation

chanchao

I'm stuck on a few types of food for which I can't find one restaurant or food stall that really stands out. Strangely one is a very common one: Phad Thai fried noodles. But I can't think of a place that either does an exceptionally good version of it, and/or, a good version AND in a setting that's nice for some reason or another. Any thoughts?

Other one is for Southern Thai food, like the spicy curry shops. Used to be a good one near Talad Payom Market, but that seems to have gone missing or moved. Any ideas on this one? (Ask your significant other if you have to... )

Then: Late night Khao Tom... looking for a *clean* and nice place that does a good job at this. Ask your significant others please... ;-)

Finally: Is The Gallery the only place in town that does Fried Icecream deserts?

Cheers,

Chanchao

hi'

on the way down ratchamanka rd heading to monmuang, right after the corner turning left

a small( but many tables) noodle-stall ... a real nice one the soup is delicious, I have to say that it's quite rare that you don't need to add anything to the soup before, like chili, sour or sweet ...

koeyteo, lek, nua sot, namtok .. hmm mmmm :o)

cheers

francois

It's been awhile since I've been there, but on the south side of the street on Th. Ratwithi, just west of Th. Rathchaphakinai in front of a law office there was a food stall run by an elegant older lady that did amazing Phat Thai.

Her version used chicken and bean sprouts, with a side of crisp green beans, cabbage and lime wedges. What makes this interesting is she used two woks, one for the noodles and the other for a thin egg crepe that she made as the Phat Thai was just done. She then added the noodles to the crepe and folded it like a French style omelet. Haven't seen this anywhere else, breaking open the top of the pseudo omelet and getting a whiff of the steaming Phat Thai enclosed was a culinary treat for me. My only complaint was she didn't have goong hang to add to it :o .

She alternated the space with a curry stall though, so not there every day. I salivate about tasting this again in November, when I return.

For southern Thai, the best I've found is Phuket Laikram, opp the south side of CMU on Suthep Rd. The Thai menu has loads of southern dishes listed, and the steam table out front always as two or three southern curries. Even the khiaw-waan is done southern style, with added turmeric and young coconut shoots.

I've not yet found any good phat thai in Ch Mai. The type described by CNX guy is actually pretty common, called phat thai haw khai, ie phat thai wrapped in egg. In many middle-class BKK restaurants, if you order phat thai that's what you get ...

Yes, I very much like Phuket Laikhram. It's a bit more of a Chinese-Southern place though, they don't have many of the SERIOUSLY spicy southern fare. (Some, but not many). I have a short and very favorable review & pictures of Phuket Laikhram on that food site.

There's a Southern food place close by in a soi off the along the Canal road (perhaps the first soi after clearing Payom market) That one is more what I mean to find, with lots of very spicy curries.

That said, I'm just back from Malaysia and Southern Thailand, so I'm a bit curried-out for the time being. ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

There's a Southern food place close by in a soi off the along the Canal road (perhaps the first soi after clearing Payom market) That one is more what I mean to find, with lots of very spicy curries.

I've tried that place and yes the curries are spicy but I find them much less authentic in flavour/seasoning than Phuket Laikhram.

Just back from Phuket old town myself, where I had splendid southern curries at Kaew Ocha, Jee Nguat and other classics. About time for another Malaysia sojourn, too ...

Finally:  Is The Gallery the only place in town that does Fried Icecream deserts?

Cheers,

Chanchao

The Brassery also does fried ice-cream desserts.

Thanks..! I've also found a cheapo fried icecream at the Som Tam Yok Khrok outlets.. There's one on Huay Kaew before you get to CMU. Cheap (30 baht or so?) but not a particulary good version of it..

I've tried that place and yes the curries are spicy but I find them much less authentic in flavour/seasoning than Phuket Laikhram.

Tried yet another Southern food shop today.. ;-) This one on the city moat, on the Western side on the inside of the moat, not too far after Jaeng Hua Rin corner. Called Lung Jit, but sign is only in Thai.

Better than a lot of others I tried recently. Funny how people in Southern Thai restaurants always worry over you, thinking that a Farang can't eat this spicy and start trying to push non-spicy stuff or otherwise warn me or discourage me from ordering particular things.. ;-) Frankly I take spicy fatty stuff like curries a lot better than spicy non-fatty things like very spicy som tam or soups or salads.

Not sure if this place warrants uploading to my Fotopages page.. Did have a large variety, and no complaints about the things I ordered.. )but being by myself, the sample was rather small..)