Confusion about combined salary and money in bank for marriage extension of stay

I have just returned from Laos with my non O visa and I am getting ready for the extension. Here comes the tricky part. On a famous Thai law firm website I read that I could have a combination of salary and money in the bank.

I call them for all the details and I am told that the salary has to be earned in Thailand and paid in a Thai bank account, and I will only qualify for the combination of salary and money in bank for 2 months if I meet this requirement.

Normally I would receive 400 000 a year if my countries currency had not taken a nose dive... but now it is just a tad under 400 000 and that is why I thought I would qualify for the combination of money in bank and salary from home country. I have an

affidavit from my embassy attesting my OVERSEAS INCOME and I have bi-monthly bank statements I can print off the internet. If push comes to shove I can show my online account to immigration officers.

My problem: Immigration here in my province have said that I need 400 000 in the bank and I feel that this final... despite what I have read that states otherwise.

My questions:

1. Do I qualify for the combination of salary and money in bank if my salary comes from overseas?

2. Does the money from abroad have to be deposited in a Thai bank account, if so for how long do I have to show that the money is being deposited?

3. Will the affidavit from my embassy suffice?

4. If my province's immigration office ( I am not in BKK) don't agree do I have the recourse to go to BKK immigration?

I really am confused and I can't find a straight answer. The date stamped on my non O expires on the 20th of December... so I have 2 months 3 weeks to get organised.

This is what I had found on a law firm's website,

Must meet the financial requirement:

• Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai bank account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
  • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income; or
  • Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income - with the total of 400,000 THB. <----- this is the part that really is unclear to me

Little help, please.

If this "famous site" really wrote this (combination method for marriage extension), it is crap.

For extension based on retirement the combination is perfectly OK (65k/month, 800k in account or combination).

400 k in the Thai bank account for two months before applying for extension.

Two months: for first application. Repeated extension: three months.

If this "famous site" really wrote this (combination method for marriage extension), it is crap.

For extension based on retirement the combination is perfectly OK (65k/month, 800k in account or combination).

400 k in the Thai bank account for two months before applying for extension.

Two months: for first application. Repeated extension: three months.

It's two months seasoning for every extension based on marriage.

Sophon

• Like 1

• No you can't use a combination of income and money in the bank for an extension based on marriage.
  • Yes you need to deposit a min of 400k in a Thai bank for at least 2 months before applying for the extension.
  • Yes
  • No

Using a combination of income and cash in the bank is only available for extensions based on retirement.

Here is the criteria from from clause 2.18 of Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 which relates to a marriage extension.

..the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency.....

The "other funds" (could be income from abroad) can be evidenced with an affidavit from your embassy (relevant agency).

Edited by elviajero

Thanks for the swift replies. I wish you were all wrong but I guess I should have done my homework better.

Thanks again.

FYI. You can get a 60 day extension at the end of your current 90 day stay without the need for financials. That'll give you another couple of months to sort out the 1 year extension.

After that if you're not in a position to go for a 1 year extension you could go to Savannakhet, Laos and get a 1 year multi entry visa without financials. With that you can also extend any of the 90 day stays by 60 days. So although you have to do border hops they can be as much as 5 months apart.

• Like 2

Yes Faz, you hit the nail on the head. Very misleading!!!

elviajero (or anyone else who knows how) thanks for the info on the extension of 2 months information. However, I was told I could only extend for 1 month. Sorry for my lack of knowledge in these matters, but how do I approach immigration with this? How would I formulate such a request?

Questions:

1. Do I simply ask for a 2 month extension?

2. Do I do nothing and on the 20th of December (deadline for non O) go and ask for extension?

3. Do I specify longevity of requested extension or will it be 2 months automatically?

4. Is the fee the expected 1900 bht?

5. Any details I forgot to ask that might be helpful?

Once again. thanks a lot to everyone!

Edited by LazySlipper

Not just misleading it is just plain wrong in more ways than one.

From clause 218 of the police order.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

There is also no requirement to prove the funds came from abroad.

Plus a medical and police certificate would never be required.

• Like 1

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU
No. 327/2557

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:
Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days.

(1) There must be proof of relationship.
(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto.

elviajero (or anyone else who knows how) thanks for the info on the extension of 2 months information. However, I was told I could only extend for 1 month. Sorry for my lack of knowledge in these matters, but how do I approach immigration with this? How would I formulate such a request?

Questions:

2. Do I go do nothing and on the 20th of December (deadline for non O) go and ask for extension?

3. Do I specify longevity of requested extension or will it be 2 months automatically?

1/3 It is a 60 day extension to visit you wife. On the TM7 application form you put 60 days for the length of extension and for the reason you put to visit your Thai wife. Form download and print 2 sided . http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

2. You can apply for the extension about 2 weeks before you current entry ends up to the last day if you want to.

4. 1900 baht.

As said you wife will need to be with you.

You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy. Copies or your wife's house book registry and ID card. You may also be asked proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.

• Like 1

Questions:

2. Do I do nothing and on the 20th of December (deadline for non O) go and ask for extension?

The real question is whether you can meet the financial requirements for an extension based on marriage in the near future.

Either 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account OR an income of 40,000 per month.

If you can't, then I wouldn't waste time and money applying for a 60 day extension to your current Visa.

Go to Savannakhet in Lao and apply for a multi entry Non Imm O based on marriage.

That will at least buy you 12 months to sort out your financial affairs, but you will have to exit and re-entry at a Border crossing point every 90 days.

1,900 baht for 60 day extension.

5,000 (?) baht for 1 year multi entry Non Imm O.

"2. You can apply for the extension about 2 weeks before you current entry ends up to the last day if you want to."

You can apply up to 30 days before your current permission to stay ends. Some offices allow up to 45 days early.

No penalty for applying early.

"2. You can apply for the extension about 2 weeks before you current entry ends up to the last day if you want to."

You can apply up to 30 days before your current permission to stay ends. Some offices allow up to 45 days early.

You really need to learn to use the quote button. The way you are quoting part of my post takes it out of context.

The 30 days is normal for one year extensions. For shorter extensions some offices will not do them that early. My reply was in relation to getting a 60 day extension.

• Like 1

That is to renew extensions.

The OP was being advised how to apply for an extension to his Visa on the basis of having a Thai wife.

Usually 14 days before expiry of Visa.

Thank you all for the help. I hope I am not taxing your patience nor you good will.

I cannot use the quote button effectively so I am copy-pasting member faz's reply,

"The real question is whether you can meet the financial requirements for an extension based on marriage in the near future.
Either 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account OR an income of 40,000 per month.
If you can't, then I wouldn't waste time and money applying for a 60 day extension to your current Visa.
Go to Savannakhet in Lao and apply for a multi entry Non Imm O based on marriage.
That will at least buy you 12 months to sort out your financial affairs, but you will have to exit and re-entry at a Border crossing point every 90 days.
1,900 baht for 60 day extension.
5,000 (?) baht for 1 year multi entry Non Imm O."
I have a single entry visa non O based on marriage and I am currently looking at another option. However, I would need to get an extension in order to organize the other option.
Questions:
1. How many extensions can I get on a single entry visa? (Paying the 1900 bht fee is not an issue)
2. Will I need to exit the country if I do extend?
Once again thanks!
Edited by LazySlipper

He was suggesting you go to Savannakhet to get a multiple entry non-o visa instead of the 60 day extension if you will not be able to meet the 400k baht requirement when the 60 days end.

Edit: You can only get one 60 day extension per entry. You will have to leave the country for a new visa at the end of the 60 days unless you can apply for the one year extension.

I won't be able to meet the requirements just yet. I was misled by the lawyer firm and I did not do my research very well... Idiot am I!

Still...

1. How many times can I get extensions on my single entry visa?

2. Will I have to exit the country to get extensions?

My darned canuck passport only has 33 pages and I am already at page 20 so I want to limit the number of visas from bordering countries....

Cheers

See the edit in my last post in response to the edit you did of your last previous post.

If 90 days would give you enough time to get things sorted you should go to Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang to get a new single entry non-o visa . If needed you could get another 60 day extension for that entry. If those 150 days are not going to be enough you should get the multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet..

• Like 2

3 options:

1. Extend your current permission to stay that your current single Non Imm O Visa gives you by 60 days at local Immigration, AND/OR

2. Go to the Thai Embassy in Lao and get another single Non Imm O Visa for 90 days, then repeat step 1, AND/OR

3. Get a 1 year multi entry Non Imm O Visa instead.

If you can't show the funding by virtue of a monthly income, then I doubt 60 days will be sufficient.

Using the funds in the bank method the funds must be in the account for 2 months prior to making an extension based on marriage.

EDIT: To use the 'quote' function, click on the quote button at the bottom of whichever post you wish to quote.

A new reply box will open with the members quote within a box. You reply underneath that box.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2