Five children slain in Chiang Mai

metisdead

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FACT: Mental illness in Thailand is growing
Its also very shunned and much like the UK no one likes to talk or dwell about it much, psychiatrists here are virtually non existent and those that do exist are just too Thai to be good at their job.
When people get mental problems they are told to go to the temple for a few days to meditate or let some monk cast a spell of protection on them...
There is also a lack of nurses or professionals that want to look after them. There are psychiatric units here in Thailand that resemble Insane asylums from the 1920's, its basically lock them in a cell and throw away the key.. there is no rehabilitation. the problem needs to be addressed as society becomes more and more stressed and capitalist.

In the US, the gun nuts would say, "take away all the knives". What this issue really highlights is mental health, and the lack of available help. Such a shame this happened to those poor children, but good on the vigilantes to beat him AFTER they knew their own safety wasn't in jeopardy any more. Real heroes they are....

It's the same guys that gave that other nutter a beating and kicking the other week after he stabbed his gf to death in the shopping mall. They waited until someone unarmed him and then they all laid into him. In the meantime the poor lady was bleeding out. I guess it's finally a chance for the locals to let off some steam and stress as they always have to remain calm not to lose face.

As usual, tons of idiotic posts. Mental illness is a tough one to grasp for people who have never witnessed it first hand. If you're not familiar with schizophrenia, you can google it for your own research.

From knowing someone with schizophrenia, I will say it's a tricky one. They can be quite fine and functioning within society, but then the symptoms will show up later, and you're dealing with a different person.

Obviously this is a terrible tragedy, but the typical thai visa posts of recommending he get a medieval torture treatment are beyond stupid.

Death penality only

Rest IN Peace Litle Angel <3

This is a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the families.

Please bear in mind though that it's called mental illness for a reason. This is not the dark ages.

Absolutely correct......and just as a person cannot cure himself of cancer....neither can a sick mind cure a sick mind.... It is hard to understand sometimes how people can accept a physical illness without any problem and have symphony for the one who has it, but when it comes to "mental illness" the person who has it is seen as evil in many cases.....most people do not choose to have an illness....the illness choses them..

May the spirits of these beautiful children be in the arms of God tonight.

A person can cure himself of cancer, IMO.

I am surprised that these type of attacks do not happen more often here when you think about it. We had a few cases in Bangkok were strangers have been attacked for no reason by mentally unstable persons. Really sad. RIP.

FACT: Mental illness in Thailand is growing

Its also very shunned and much like the UK no one likes to talk or dwell about it much, psychiatrists here are virtually non existent and those that do exist are just too Thai to be good at their job.

When people get mental problems they are told to go to the temple for a few days to meditate or let some monk cast a spell of protection on them...

There is also a lack of nurses or professionals that want to look after them. There are psychiatric units here in Thailand that resemble Insane asylums from the 1920's, its basically lock them in a cell and throw away the key.. there is no rehabilitation. the problem needs to be addressed as society becomes more and more stressed and capitalist.

Wow, so you've made a medical breakthrough, linking schizophrenia with stress and capitalism.

When will you be publishing your paper?

blink.png

This is a very tragic story especially when such young lives are brutally ended but to end his life for this act is wrong. As one commenter mentioned, "it is an illness" just like any other illness but this affects thoughts which leads to action that is difficult to control. Should we incarcerate a person with TB if they spit close to another person who then becomes infected?

The government should be looking into the reason for his release, tests done prior to release from hospital, meds given on release, was he taking them,etc.

My question is this, Is there a forensic psych hospital in Thailand where he can be sent ?

Yes he may need to be locked up indefinately and sedated for some time but that is how things are these days, not lynched or at the mercy of the aggrieved family. ......Passion

Two hundred years ago the well to do would pay a penny to watch the insane people at the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital in London. This is where the word "Bedlam" came from (Just a side note that has nothing to do with this case)

This is a very tragic story especially when such young lives are brutally ended but to end his life for this act is wrong. As one commenter mentioned, "it is an illness" just like any other illness but this affects thoughts which leads to action that is difficult to control. Should we incarcerate a person with TB if they spit close to another person who then becomes infected?

The government should be looking into the reason for his release, tests done prior to release from hospital, meds given on release, was he taking them,etc.

My question is this, Is there a forensic psych hospital in Thailand where he can be sent ?

Yes he may need to be locked up indefinately and sedated for some time but that is how things are these days, not lynched or at the mercy of the aggrieved family. ......Passion

Two hundred years ago the well to do would pay a penny to watch the insane people at the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital in London. This is where the word "Bedlam" came from (Just a side note that has nothing to do with this case)

What would YOUR reaction be to coming home and finding your kids and wife carved up, what would be going on in your gray cells...?

You have a point and I honestly don't know but consider this. The psychiatric hospital released an obviously very disturbed and dangerous individual and so should be held accountable for their actions.

Death penality only

Rest IN Peace Litle Angel <3

This is a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the families.

Please bear in mind though that it's called mental illness for a reason. This is not the dark ages.

Not the Dark Ages ? Looking at the news day after day, I often wonder ... Reading the posts here on TVF I often wonder ...

Does his family have enough influence/money for him to become a monk for a few months?

coffee1.gif

RIP little ones.

An odious comment not ameliorated by faux concern for the dead.

As always some just try to think how they can turn it even more negative, work the 'anti-Thai' angle on it!!.. (shows what 'true concern' they feel with a <deleted> coffee drinking/paper reading emoticon then adds 'RIP' as an after-'thought'!!!) Personally I think such nobody's such <deleted> back to the slime they crawled out of!!! As for the killer, 'illness' or not, he should have been left to the mob.. no treatment could ever undo this, I'm afraid!!... but RIP the 5 murdered children.. sincere and genuine condolences to those families... sad.pngwai.gif

Does his family have enough influence/money for him to become a monk for a few months?

coffee1.gif

RIP little ones.

What a stupid reply

Actually, it's quite the norm for killers with influence/money behind them to leave to join the monkhood, until it (is paid to) boil over.

coffee1.gif

RIP little ones.

You`re sick.

A horrible tragedy.

True.

There's a consensus here that Happy Grumpy is a sicko from Scotland who likes to "BLETHER".

Put the guy on ignore if you don't wish to see more of his trolling, racism and stupidity.

I meet up with HG most weekends, and he certainly isn't from Scotland, or a sicko. :D

What would YOUR reaction be to coming home and finding your kids and wife carved up, what would be going on in your gray cells...?

In a case like this, the (even hateful) 'passion' of those harmed, affected, by such an horrific act which should win through, I believe.. I know what my own true feelings and actions would be in response, for sure!!.. even, objectively, com-passion for the dangerously insane is just misguided once there is a realisation that such an absolutely unacceptable (as THIS!!) point could possibly be reached.. Nor is it acceptable to ask or just to expect someone with such a potentially dangerous condition and (any) risk to others to 'Please keep taking your tablets' when such naive, ill-thought out action/ inaction is so tragically highlighted by this outcome.. execution (even at the hands of a lynch-mob!) may not be the 'love thy neighbour' way, but this is no longer within the simple realms of simple objective 'Whadya say neighbourino?' consideration!!!.. forever locked doors, I'd personally advocate.. at best.. if my 'own' were involved, harmed or killed, then those doors would be burned to the ground, a simple truth of my own 'passion'.. there just is no 'fixing' this.. no treatment or cure to undo or make okay what's done.. 'all bets are now off'... ps, wanderingstray: thanks for telling us where 'Bedlam' came from, by the way.. not exactly an unknown, and actually pointless info other than, along with your other words, to try to show yourself in the light of some knowlegeable soothsayer.. bit late for that is my point... wai.gif

RIP little ones... what a tragedy !

cutting onions here... what a senseless loss of beauty and life... I'm afraid that death penalty would be in place... for one, the sense of justice for the ones left behind, the rights to closure by the ones left behind takes precedence for his right to continue living, secondly, to prevent it from happening again in a society where they can't cope with mentally deranged, and thirdly, for his own sake, when he is deranged, it doesnt make a difference, but in his few moments of clarity, he will have to come to terms with his actions, a faith possibly worse than death, and lastly, for the culprits family's sake, I know that no door in Thailand will be open for him after this, and it will bring relieve to his relatives too if he is taken away so they dont have to live with the stigma and dilemma... I believe he should be allowed to commit suicide or strongly encouraged to do so, and if he refuses, he should be put to sleep, he is one sick puppy, and that is what needs to be done with sick puppies !

I don't often agree but this is a seriously damaged unit, he needs to be put down! sad.pngbah.gif

Who allowed those appaling photo's of the dead children to be posted on here

Maybe ThaiVisa is owned by a thai nowadays, since it allows these photos... typical thai.. hide cigarettes, kisses, and knives in photos and movies.. BUT have absolutely no problem showing off dead humans, body-parts and so on..

Strange, I agree..

Glegolo

When the RTP should really do their job (i.e. Koh Tao case, Bkk bombing, southern terror, etc.) they don't. But in a case where you wish they wouldn't do their job (where in this case first priority was protecting that child murderer swine from being beaten to death by an angry mob), they perform perfectly... :( If I were officer in charge, I would have fed that bastard to the mob, no matter at what cost.

Saddest to read about this whole story to me is that - even for a most despicable atrocity like this one - at least one apologist stands up and babbles something about "sickness" and "having to understand" such people should receive the same sentence the culprit they try to defend gets.

:coffee1:

RIP little ones.

Five young children have died, and you try to make humor of the situation, along with your normal emoticon of a supposedly your attitude to all this, just a layed back coffee sipper. Please look in the mirror and get advice on what is respectable in these situations.

My condolences to all the families and friends of these young children.

:coffee1:

RIP little ones.

You`re sick.

A horrible tragedy.

True.

There's a consensus here that Happy Grumpy is a sicko from Scotland who likes to "BLETHER".

Put the guy on ignore if you don't wish to see more of his trolling, racism and stupidity.

I meet up with HG most weekends, and he certainly isn't from Scotland, or a sicko. :D

Like minded people like to seek and meet up together. People judged by the company they keep. Says much about you two.

Archived