Thai Parents Risk Jail If Children Misbehave

george

Thai parents risk jail if children misbehave during Songkran festival

BANGKOK: -- Thai parents risk being jailed or fined if they allow their children to misbehave during next week's traditional new year as police crackdown on bad behaviour and sexual harassment at the festivities, officials said on Tuesday.

Throwing water and talcum powder in the streets is a major part of celebrations for the Songkran festival, but authorities are taking action against people who use filthy canal water or molest female bystanders.

"Parents can get three months in jail or a 30,000 baht (US$770) fine if they allow their children to play Songkran with dirty water or use talcum powder as an excuse for sexual violation," police said in a statement.

In previous years, women have complained that during the riotous festival young men have used the traditional practice of smearing talcum powder as an

excuse to molest them.

Police are now trying to ensure better behaviour during the festival by enforcing new legislation which makes parents legally responsible for their childrens' bad behaviour.

They said checkpoints would also be set up to check for drunk drivers and petrol stations on busy roads leading out of the capital would be asked not to sell alcohol.

"Police will also strictly ban the throwing of water at motorists which might cause an accident," the statement said.

More than 500 people died and more than 37,000 were injured during last year's six-day celebration, many in alcohol-fuelled traffic accidents.

Security is also being stepped up in Bangkok ahead of Songkran as concerns grow that militants in the Muslim south who have waged three months of violence there could mount a major terrorist attack in the capital.

Tourist districts, embassies, hotels, bridges and popular gathering spots will be under tight guard, including Khao San Road which teems with foreign

backpackers, and the Patpong red-light district.

-- AFP 2004-04-06

Only one way for me during Songkran since I am not owning a car: filling well the fridge before and don`t move out of the house for three days just in order to keep me out of trouble. This behaviour has proved to be the safest way to "survive" the festival.

In previous years, women have complained that during the riotous festival young men have used the traditional practice of smearing talcum powder as an

excuse to molest them.

This happened to me when I was a young teenager in Thailand. During Songkran, my sister & I went to get some food and a gang of young men surrounded us. It was a terrifying experience. Although we screamed for help, no one did anything...perhaps people thought the men weren't really doing anything. I remembered just trying to hug myself tightly so they wouldn't be able to touch me. It wasn't until my older sister started to fight back, kicking them, and made a big scene that they backed off, leaving us crying and running back home. The men just laughed as if they had done nothing wrong.

These men were allowed to molest us in broad day light while loads of people were around and they obviously operated in gangs. It was disgusting & it gave me nightmares for ages. I even felt like throwing up now thinking back. Some people think it is just a trivial thing but it is not. It did effect me for a long time then. I wasn't surprise to hear that a few years back, a guy & his relatives threathen to beat up a group of young men who molest his daughter in the same way.

I doubt that anything will be done to stop it. Since that experience, I just don't go out of the house around Songkran time unless I really really had to. Songkran had changed a lot. Lots of people just use it as an excuse for violence and nasty behaviour. I had ice & water threw at me a few time (and that hurt!). Some people mix mud & other sh*t with their water. I had water mixed with sand thrown at me. My dad had water mixed with talcum powder threw at his windshield while he was driving (I was in the car, it was f***ing scary when you can't see a thing). I had fun throwing water around with friends near my house but would never ever go out and participate in public after all I've been through.

Hope you enjoy Songkran & celebrate it as safely as possible.

excuse to molest them.

This happened to me when I was a young teenager in Thailand. During Songkran, my sister & I went to get some food and a gang of young men surrounded us. It was a terrifying experience. Although we screamed for help, no one did anything...perhaps people thought the men weren't really doing anything. I remembered just trying to hug myself tightly so they wouldn't be able to touch me. It wasn't until my older sister started to fight back, kicking them, and made a big scene that they backed off, leaving us crying and running back home. The men just laughed as if they had done nothing wrong.

These men were allowed to molest us in broad day light while loads of people were around and they obviously operated in gangs. It was disgusting & it gave me nightmares for ages. I even felt like throwing up now thinking back. Some people think it is just a trivial thing but it is not. It did effect me for a long time then. I wasn't surprise to hear that a few years back, a guy & his relatives threathen to beat up a group of young men who molest his daughter in the same way.

I doubt that anything will be done to stop it. Since that experience, I just don't go out of the house around Songkran time unless I really really had to. Songkran had changed a lot. Lots of people just use it as an excuse for violence and nasty behaviour. I had ice & water threw at me a few time (and that hurt!). Some people mix mud & other sh*t with their water. I had water mixed with sand thrown at me. My dad had water mixed with talcum powder threw at his windshield while he was driving (I was in the car, it was f***ing scary when you can't see a thing). I had fun throwing water around with friends near my house but would never ever go out and participate in public after all I've been through.

Hope you enjoy Songkran & celebrate it as safely as possible.

I had no idea of such behaviour D80. I may be a bit dumb, but I thought it was all good fun stuff. Take care.

Knowing what I know after 12 years of being here, I welcome this ATTEMPT by the government to rein in the Songkran activities. Constraint and self-control are not local long suits, most especially during Songkran. If folks could only involve themselves with others who want to participate in that manner and not interfere with those who prefer a more traditional holiday that would be cool, but they do not.

I have enjoyed some totally out of hand times during the day in Nana plaza 7 or 8 years ago and in Chiang Mai too. In Chiang Mai however I remember that it all ceases at 6PM, everyone would go home and shower and change and then come out for a nice time in the evening without fear of being doused again until morning.

Now Pattaya is another story. I lived and worked for a pair of hotels there for several years. I would not go off property unless I had too. I would carry my work clothes in a plastic bag when traveling between the two hotels that I was employed by and change upon arrival. One time however I was in a big rush and was unable to change. Needless to say I was doused with water and powder and that suit still hangs in my closet, never to be worn again. I keep it to remind to stay in.

Another year in Pattaya, after the "festivities" were all over I left the hotel to go to a beer bar near by and have my first relaxing drink in over a week, having sequestered myself for that period of time. It was not Songkran anymore according to the calendar, and that is the extended calendar they use in Pattaya, which as we all know differs from everywhere else. (Sort of like moving Christmas to February just to have a shopping binge again and reap more revenue.) As I was enjoying my drink a pick-up truck drove up to the front of the bar and I was thoroughly covered with water from a large tank in the back of it. A few days later I developed a rash that was so bad I had to go to the doctor. The first thing he asked was did I get wet during Songkran. Then he explained that it was most likely klong water and that I have a condition that was going to be very hard to get rid of. I spent the next 8 months itching and peeling the skin off of my hands and feet. Being a chef and working in a hotel you can imagine what that did for my ability to work and to show my hands to the guests. Further it cost me quiet a bit of money to go to the doctor once a week for 8 months too.

Once while working at the hotels a European couple approached be one evening in the hotel. They had just come back form trying to enjoy an evening out. They did not understand what was happening. They had just gone through three days of Songkran in Chang Mai and thought it was over. They were enraged that they could not go out and enjoy their holiday and pissed that the brochures and reservations people had not told them they would be subject to such lunacy. I doubt they ever returned to Thailand.

Also in Pattaya I have had the displeasure of riding a motorcycle with my girlfriend's young son on the bike with me and being hit with 5 gallon buckets of water from passing trucks on Sukhumvit Road. I was always lucky that we were not injured. When you talk to locals about this most just laugh and say "Farang think too much", but 500 dead a year is proof that I was not being a tight *ss about this and just wanting to stay alive.

And my final rant on this subject: Locals use this time to seek revenge and get back at farangs for any percieved injustices that have been dealt them in the past. It is spiteful and retaliatory behavior for abuses that they feel they have had to suffer despite the fact that the major part of the economy in places like Pattaya are Farang generated.

Again, I will state, sure do it but only with those want to and not where it will hurt or bother others. But that is not an option really now is it?

I will stay home for the entire time as I do every year now, or leave the country.

It only takes a little intelligence on the part of everyone to enjoy songkran - but I guess that is asking for a lot in a country where most kids are allowed to do what they want, to whom they want whenever they want.

Unfortunately this is not only restricted to the kids, as we see every day when the big kids "get off" major crimes because somebody has some influence somewhere - no wonder the younger generation is developing the way it is.

Call me a Scrooge or even a Grinch, I don't care. I hate Songkran. I stay in doors and only venture out if I've run out of food or other rations. Usually I'm well stocked up and don't get caught short. My wife thinks I'm a freak this time of the year. Loy Kratong is a much more pleasant holiday.

"Parents can get three months in jail or a 30,000 baht (US$770) fine if they allow their children to play Songkran with dirty water or use talcum powder as an excuse for sexual violation," police said in a statement.

If the Thai Government had the same approach towards the education of the Nation's children, then there might just be a chance that within a generation Thailand might move away from the current state of ignorance, poverty and racial hatred.

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND'S New Year holiday road death rose to a record 857 today, with 42,000 injuries, the health ministry reported near the end of an eight-day official tallying period. :o:D

Lets hope it dosnt happen again this year :D

my comment was'nt concerning songkran, it is about the fact that these dangerous little idiots fly about riding badly, stealing, whilst pissed. surely thats got to be dealt with all year round

Thailand seems like a big zoo. Now I enjoy visiting a good zoo from time to time. The monkeys are always interresting and they are also very dangerous, deceptively so. When you're feeding them they are your best friend but when the food is gone they have no use for you. So it is good to be cautious around them.

The Thais are similar, it is a good policy to use caution around them.

....Especially after feeding.

my comment was'nt concerning songkran, it is about the fact that these dangerous little idiots fly about riding badly, stealing, whilst pissed. surely thats got to be dealt with all year round

Thailand seems like a big zoo. Now I enjoy visiting a good zoo from time to time. The monkeys are always interresting and they are also very dangerous, deceptively so. When you're feeding them they are your best friend but when the food is gone they have no use for you. So it is good to be cautious around them.

The Thais are similar, it is a good policy to use caution around them.

....Especially after feeding.

Arnold, I can not say what I want, otherwise the admins. will erase my comment,

to put our hosts and monkeys on the same level,

you should actually be expelled from this forum!!!

You wanna meet my wife, a monkey-girl ?

:o

Arnold, I can not say what I want, otherwise the admins. will erase my comment,

to put our hosts and monkeys on the same level,

you should actually be expelled from this forum!!!

You wanna meet my wife, a monkey-girl ?

No harm meant, just an observations. I have extensive background in anthropological sociology. My comments were not meant to be insulting, certainly not to your wife. There are, in fact, recoginized and studied behavioral correlations amongst the various primates, including SE Asians. The matter is well discussed in the literature.

If you have something to add, by all means feel free.

Chookdee krup