"not to lump everyone together who has a weight problem"

Jingthing

What a load of rubbish.

If you see a heavy person on the street, you know NOTHING about their personal struggle.

Bottom line, yes I know there are lots of heartless mean spirited bullies out there and for the most part they don't have the slightest interest in "helping" overweight people. They clearly do enjoy feeling SMUG and SUPERIOR that they don't have the same problem. It happens to be a socially sanctioned kind of bullying and discrimination and it shouldn't be.

But for the small minority of fat shamers who actually do care about the health of overweight people and are bullying to be "helpful", there is no evidence that bullying helps them and lots of evidence that it hurts them and contributes to social isolation and even more weight gain. So don't do it. EVER.

I see this robblok character openly ADMITS he DOES shame overweight people who are above the limits that HE sets up in his own mind. Like he's a God of acceptable heaviness limits or something. WOW. That deserves to be condemned in the strongest terms possible.

I am not surprised, but that attitude has no place on a health forum intended to be supportive to people dealing with HEALTH problems.

If you were overweight and had the willpower to change that, than you have every right to feel superior to people who didn't have the willpower. What is wrong about being proud of your achievements?

And no question it is better to look at a fit slim body, than at a overweight one. No political correctness can help that fat people don't look good.

Of course that should not mean that bullying fat people is the right thing. The opposite, these who did well already should lend the fat one a helping hand. Give tips and tricks and moral support, help them in every way. Cheap jokes about fat people, or telling them that they look ugly is sure the wrong thing. But telling them everything is perfect and good is also wrong.

Of course a fat person who is proud of being fat can't be helped.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way I can lose weigh is to become totally obsessive about exercise and diet. I get tired of being totally obsessive and go back to eating and living like a average person and the weight comes back. If I ate like some of my thinner friends I would become enormous.

I get Robblock thinks he understands how it works for everybody because he has had success, but part of his success is he has remained obsessive.

Eat healthy and you maybe have a 5-10 kg too much, but you won't get huge. With a normal healthy diet and 3 meals per day no one can get really fat. It needs lots of calories. 1 kg fat is about 7000 kcal which you must eat additionally. 10 kg overweight is 70.000 kcal extra food, that will be hard to eat on a healthy diet.

What a load of rubbish.

If you see a heavy person on the street, you know NOTHING about their personal struggle.

Bottom line, yes I know there are lots of heartless mean spirited bullies out there and for the most part they don't have the slightest interest in "helping" overweight people. They clearly do enjoy feeling SMUG and SUPERIOR that they don't have the same problem. It happens to be a socially sanctioned kind of bullying and discrimination and it shouldn't be.

But for the small minority of fat shamers who actually do care about the health of overweight people and are bullying to be "helpful", there is no evidence that bullying helps them and lots of evidence that it hurts them and contributes to social isolation and even more weight gain. So don't do it. EVER.

I see this robblok character openly ADMITS he DOES shame overweight people who are above the limits that HE sets up in his own mind. Like he's a God of acceptable heaviness limits or something. WOW. That deserves to be condemned in the strongest terms possible.

I am not surprised, but that attitude has no place on a health forum intended to be supportive to people dealing with HEALTH problems.

If you were overweight and had the willpower to change that, than you have every right to feel superior to people who didn't have the willpower. What is wrong about being proud of your achievements?

And no question it is better to look at a fit slim body, than at a overweight one. No political correctness can help that fat people don't look good.

Of course that should not mean that bullying fat people is the right thing. The opposite, these who did well already should lend the fat one a helping hand. Give tips and tricks and moral support, help them in every way. Cheap jokes about fat people, or telling them that they look ugly is sure the wrong thing. But telling them everything is perfect and good is also wrong.

I agree about the bullying, some jokes with family members or close friends but not too much. But like you said there should be no taboo on discussing the weight of people and helping them. Often I see topics as this as a way to muzzle people making it taboo to even tell people they should change.

Maybe I just look at it wrong.

What a load of rubbish.

I agree about the bullying, some jokes with family members or close friends but not too much. But like you said there should be no taboo on discussing the weight of people and helping them. Often I see topics as this as a way to muzzle people making it taboo to even tell people they should change.

Maybe I just look at it wrong.

Everyone is fat because he/she ate too much. Being fat because of medical conditions may exist, but when I was young, on the country side (where I come from), people either farmer or work in the steel factory exactly zero of 500 people were fat. Conservative society....

They ate traditional, high carb, high fat, had between light (housewomen) and heavy work (making wood, steel factory) and the worst you could see some elderly people with maybe a 5, maybe even a 10 kg too much.

Meaning is: No magic pills necessary, no disease is the reason. The only one who did it, are the fat people by overeating.

I acknowledge, that people who got fed fat as child have it very hard to get that weight down again. But it is doable. And it is a problem for spoiled first world people. Have a look at the problems in Africa/Syria, etc etc....these people have problems. The uncontrolled urge to eat whatever you see is a comparable minor problem.....Just don't do it; problem fixed. Being hungry: That is no problem, Millions of people are hungry....

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a diet for the first time in my life because I eat way too much sugar. It is a very difficult thing to do. A by product is losing 2 kilos in weight even though I am slim muscular anyway.

It is tough, on a par with giving up smoking. My sympathies to anyone.

So, yes I won't cricise people who are clearly over weight, but neither could I pay too much heed to claims of being different in some way.

There are conditions that lead to weight gain such as hypothyroidism but other than that metabolic rate doesn't difer so much.

Best just to deal with the real problem, most likely like me an addiction to sugar, or for others alcohol maybe.

The only way I can lose weigh is to become totally obsessive about exercise and diet. I get tired of being totally obsessive and go back to eating and living like a average person and the weight comes back. If I ate like some of my thinner friends I would become enormous.

I get Robblock thinks he understands how it works for everybody because he has had success, but part of his success is he has remained obsessive.

Yes I remain obsessive, meaning I cook my own foods and make sure I exercise enough (3 times a week of heavy lifting). make no mistake I have seen my weight go up at times too (recently marriage was falling apart, now I accept that I will get divorced, but during that time I did eat more exercise less and saw my weight go up). Then acceptance came and I went back at it and it slowly went away again. We all have those problems its how we handle them that makes the difference between success and failure.

It would be a lot harder if I was as food obsessed as JT, but that is a choice he made. (no insult just stating facts)

Thing is the problem is the foods that you eat, you just can't eat like everyone else (neither can I). That is something you either accept or get fat. Its the foods that are available and eaten (and alcohol) that cause the problem. Some can handle it others can't.

Not a disease at all.. just bad genes and can be overcome if you really want it but it takes effort.

The average person in my age category of friends have gotten quite a bit fatter since when they were young because of the foods they eat. That is a choice, the choice of easy nice tasting food, staying lean requires an other choice, preparing your own foods knowing what is good for you and doing some exercise.

Its not just me who has success but others too who put their mind to it, the ones who fail are the ones that are unwilling to change their food intake and think that the average diet is good. (i do eat out too at times just not often). I have over the years learned a lot about food and my own body and now can keep in shape though it will never be 100% easy.

Its frustrating to see some of the thinner people eating more as you (I know the feeling all too well), but its like intelligence, height , looks for a large part determined by genes. Nobody would dare to call short people sick or less intelligent people sick, they just have to live with what they got. So do we.

In your case, I would advise not being too obsessive (or only for a limited time) and then go to a food program that you can maintain. The hardest part is loosing the weight, once you lost it maintaining is a bit easier and you can relax a bit more. It will mean that you can't eat what you like. If that is not what you wan't then don't Nobody is forcing anyone.,

JT accuses me of fat shaming because I have teased my dad and brother (they did the same with me). I would not call that bullying or fat shaming but motivating. It depends on how it is done and should not be done with strangers or people who are emotionally not strong. It can help them to get started with their weight loss program. I would only do this with family or close friends, because then you know how someone would respond. In my life I have never bullied anyone, when younger I was bullied because I was the smart kid with glasses and not skinny and not born in the small town I grew up(not real fat either certainly not compared with kids today)

I just don't like to accept my lot if I can do something about it, there are people who have conquered far harder things as fat loss, and its amazing what humans can do if they really want it.

I just think becoming obsessive over anything sows the seeds of failure. I reckon you have to slowly work a regime in to your life so that it can be sustained.

I tried a diet for the first time in my life because I eat way too much sugar. It is a very difficult thing to do. A by product is losing 2 kilos in weight even though I am slim muscular anyway.

So, yes I won't cricise people who are clearly over weight, but neither could I pay too much heed to claims of being different in some way.

There are conditions that lead to weight gain such as hypothyroidism but other than that metabolic rate doesn't difer so much.

Best just to deal with the real problem, most likely like me an addiction to sugar, or for others alcohol maybe.

I think it is worse than stop smoking.

Smoking is just a yes or no......But you can't stop eating and get used to it in a week. It is more like permanent limit your smoking to 3 cigarettes per day.

Smoking is just a yes or no......But you can't stop eating and get used to it in a week. It is more like permanent limit your smoking to 3 cigarettes per day.

Agreed, well said. Moderation is certainly beyond me, but you can't take or leave food. This is why dieting is so difficult.

Agreed, well said. Moderation is certainly beyond me, but you can't take or leave food. This is why dieting is so difficult.

Sorry but we can't discuss moderation here.

I just stopped eating food that makes me fat, beside beer, which is difficult.....

And I exercise in an amount that some would consider crazy. In Bangkok more muscle building on the country side bicycle only.

If you don't eat sugar and quick carbs, you aren't as hungry, which makes things easy.

The majority of obese people are obese because the won't stop shovelling food down their gullets.

They need to develop some self-respect and learn to control themselves.

but telling them this fact is considered very rude laugh.png

Yes I remain obsessive, meaning I cook my own foods and make sure I exercise enough (3 times a week of heavy lifting). make no mistake I have seen my weight go up at times too (recently marriage was falling apart, now I accept that I will get divorced, but during that time I did eat more exercise less and saw my weight go up). Then acceptance came and I went back at it and it slowly went away again. We all have those problems its how we handle them that makes the difference between success and failure.

It would be a lot harder if I was as food obsessed as JT, but that is a choice he made. (no insult just stating facts)

Thing is the problem is the foods that you eat, you just can't eat like everyone else (neither can I). That is something you either accept or get fat. Its the foods that are available and eaten (and alcohol) that cause the problem. Some can handle it others can't.

Not a disease at all.. just bad genes and can be overcome if you really want it but it takes effort.

The average person in my age category of friends have gotten quite a bit fatter since when they were young because of the foods they eat. That is a choice, the choice of easy nice tasting food, staying lean requires an other choice, preparing your own foods knowing what is good for you and doing some exercise.

Its not just me who has success but others too who put their mind to it, the ones who fail are the ones that are unwilling to change their food intake and think that the average diet is good. (i do eat out too at times just not often). I have over the years learned a lot about food and my own body and now can keep in shape though it will never be 100% easy.

Its frustrating to see some of the thinner people eating more as you (I know the feeling all too well), but its like intelligence, height , looks for a large part determined by genes. Nobody would dare to call short people sick or less intelligent people sick, they just have to live with what they got. So do we.

In your case, I would advise not being too obsessive (or only for a limited time) and then go to a food program that you can maintain. The hardest part is loosing the weight, once you lost it maintaining is a bit easier and you can relax a bit more. It will mean that you can't eat what you like. If that is not what you wan't then don't Nobody is forcing anyone.,

JT accuses me of fat shaming because I have teased my dad and brother (they did the same with me). I would not call that bullying or fat shaming but motivating. It depends on how it is done and should not be done with strangers or people who are emotionally not strong. It can help them to get started with their weight loss program. I would only do this with family or close friends, because then you know how someone would respond. In my life I have never bullied anyone, when younger I was bullied because I was the smart kid with glasses and not skinny and not born in the small town I grew up(not real fat either certainly not compared with kids today)

I just don't like to accept my lot if I can do something about it, there are people who have conquered far harder things as fat loss, and its amazing what humans can do if they really want it.

I just think becoming obsessive over anything sows the seeds of failure. I reckon you have to slowly work a regime in to your life so that it can be sustained.

But what I do can be sustained otherwise the weight that i lost would have been back by now. It has not and been almost 5 years now.

With obsessive I mean that I make sure i keep to the program (of course i got my ups and downs just like everyone else)

But what I do can be sustained otherwise the weight that i lost would have been back by now. It has not and been almost 5 years now.

With obsessive I mean that I make sure i keep to the program (of course i got my ups and downs just like everyone else)

Like on everything else:

Even if you want to be a good chess player you have to continue your training all the time.

You are doing a great job to be in perfect shape. But if someone only want to be OK, normal weighted someone only need to eat like the grandparents (or depending on the area/age +1-2 generation). With that you may be 5kg overweight but not crazy fat. And they never thought about eating less. Alone sticking to eating 3 times per day without eating between and sweet things only at celebrations is keeping your weight moderate

Rather than bothering to start a new thread, I'd like to share this link here which I think has some interesting and useful information:

washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-on-dieting-and-weight-loss/2015/10/15/3f05f3b2-71e4-11e5-8248-98e0f5a2e830_story.html

In truth, the dreaded weight plateau is much more likely the result of a gradual loss of adherence to the original plan — people are actually eating many more calories when their weight loss stalls than when they started to diet. Why this happens is not fully understood, but biology probably plays a major role. For example, we know that weight loss results in hormonal changes that influence feelings of hunger and fullness, as well as alter how the brain responds to food cues in the environment. Food may actually become more rewarding. These changes influence overall food intake and may occur below our level of conscious awareness. People, therefore, may honestly report that they are sticking to their original diet when the weight plateau occurs, but objective measurements demonstrate otherwise.

More relevant info from same link:

Having a healthy body weight is all about personal responsibility and willpower.
People of normal weight sometimes like to take credit for avoiding obesity, suggesting that fatness arises from some combination of gluttony and sloth. As all those medical experts on Internet comment sections recommend, just eat less and exercise more!
Alas, if only such advice were effective. Consider exercise. Even when people participate in a supervised exercise program, weight loss is much less than would be expected from the calories burned during exercise. On average, exercising women experience no weight loss, and many people actually gain weight. This may be the result of compensatory decreases in other physical activities — such as collapsing on the couch for a few hours after a 30-minute run. Alternatively, hunger may increase, and it doesn’t take much food to offset the calories expended during exercise.
Why not just count calories and eat less? Unfortunately, even with the best diet-tracking apps, people tend to greatly underestimate how much food they consume. Furthermore, calorie intake tends to fluctuate widely, with swings often exceeding 1,000 calories from one day to the next. How would someone know if they made a dent in their calorie intake using such imperfect tools? Of course, making large calorie cuts would be easier to detect, and this is what most people do when they “go on a diet” to lose weight. When this happens, biology resists weight loss by increasing appetite and hunger.

More rubbish and nonesence from some source or other (next time provide a link), presumably from a like minded soul who doesn't thing that obesity is his/her fault and is out of his/her control. Goodness me, when ever will people stop trying to blame other things for their own behaviour.

"Why not just count calories and eat less? Unfortunately, even with the best diet-tracking apps,..". You don't need an app, you just need to stop eating sdo much and do some more exercise, what could possibly be more simple than that.

Rather than bothering to start a new thread, I'd like to share this link here which I think has some interesting and useful information:

washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-on-dieting-and-weight-loss/2015/10/15/3f05f3b2-71e4-11e5-8248-98e0f5a2e830_story.html

In truth, the dreaded weight plateau is much more likely the result of a gradual loss of adherence to the original plan — people are actually eating many more calories when their weight loss stalls than when they started to diet. Why this happens is not fully understood, but biology probably plays a major role. For example, we know that weight loss results in hormonal changes that influence feelings of hunger and fullness, as well as alter how the brain responds to food cues in the environment. Food may actually become more rewarding. These changes influence overall food intake and may occur below our level of conscious awareness. People, therefore, may honestly report that they are sticking to their original diet when the weight plateau occurs, but objective measurements demonstrate otherwise.

No it is fully understood. After a while people loose willpower and eat more. Nothing to do with biology, beside that you are hungry when you don't eat enough....

No the hormones don't influence the food intake. We take our hands and shovel the food into our mouth. If we don't do it, we don't do it no matter some hormones.

If they report that they are sticking to the original diet plan, but don't report the chocolate bar they washed down with the coke, than they lie, or have a mental problem.

More relevant info from same link:

Having a healthy body weight is all about personal responsibility and willpower.
People of normal weight sometimes like to take credit for avoiding obesity, suggesting that fatness arises from some combination of gluttony and sloth. As all those medical experts on Internet comment sections recommend, just eat less and exercise more!
Alas, if only such advice were effective. Consider exercise. Even when people participate in a supervised exercise program, weight loss is much less than would be expected from the calories burned during exercise. On average, exercising women experience no weight loss, and many people actually gain weight. This may be the result of compensatory decreases in other physical activities — such as collapsing on the couch for a few hours after a 30-minute run. Alternatively, hunger may increase, and it doesn’t take much food to offset the calories expended during exercise.
Why not just count calories and eat less? Unfortunately, even with the best diet-tracking apps, people tend to greatly underestimate how much food they consume. Furthermore, calorie intake tends to fluctuate widely, with swings often exceeding 1,000 calories from one day to the next. How would someone know if they made a dent in their calorie intake using such imperfect tools? Of course, making large calorie cuts would be easier to detect, and this is what most people do when they “go on a diet” to lose weight. When this happens, biology resists weight loss by increasing appetite and hunger.

And what would be the problem with increased appetite and hunger? We aren't 100% instinct driven.....You can train a dog to not eat some food if not allowed to. So if a dog can do, I assume most humans can do as well.

More rubbish and nonesence from some source or other (next time provide a link), presumably from a like minded soul who doesn't thing that obesity is his/her fault and is out of his/her control. Goodness me, when ever will people stop trying to blame other things for their own behaviour.

"Why not just count calories and eat less? Unfortunately, even with the best diet-tracking apps,..". You don't need an app, you just need to stop eating sdo much and do some more exercise, what could possibly be more simple than that.

I think no link is needed.

summary is: it is the hormons

if we get hungry we must shovel everything into us, resisting is impossible.

And the best for fat people is to tell them 10 times a day that they aren't wrong and that dieting away the fat is anyway impossible. The only hope would be some super expensive surgery.

Everyone who did a successful diet is obsessed.

Important: at no time tell them that it is possible and encourage them to do it.

I don't have the slightest interest in engaging in any way with people with a totally closed mind about learning more about the complexities of obesity in human beings. You know, people who think it is always about morality, 100 percent, for all people. That is obviously total RUBBISH so arguing with people who actually believe that is like arguing logically with a hard core fundamentalist Christian fire and brimstone preacher. The believe they know it all for all of time. Waste of time.

Just thought the info would be of interest to some, as I assume other people than the usual posters actually might READ this forum.

Restaurant reviews and an inability to lose weight seem to not fit well together, what do you think!

JT actually told over years in very insulting ways that diet doesn't work, that willpower is no solution and that exercise is anyway just for crazy people.

Over the years he reduced his weight a lot, kept the lower weight and exercises (if it is true what he is posting) and tells he beat the odds. He still hates Roblok and myself for telling him. But at least he was successful after following Robloks advice (of course he would never admit that).

Anyway it seems he has done it very well.

I don't have the slightest interest in engaging in any way with people with a totally closed mind about learning more about the complexities of obesity in human beings. You know, people who think it is always about morality, 100 percent, for all people. That is obviously total RUBBISH so arguing with people who actually believe that is like arguing logically with a hard core fundamentalist Christian fire and brimstone preacher. The believe they know it all for all of time. Waste of time.

Just thought the info would be of interest as I assume other people than the usual posters actually might READ this forum.

Eat too much and don't move: get fat

eat less and/or exercise and get slim, side effect hunger

That is the complete scientific explanation.

Ah! not obsession at all just diligence.

But do you mind me asking, is there a chance you have a thyroid problem ?, if only a very small one, you see differences in metabolism between individuals is really quite small.

If so, then surely the best solution would be treat that. That way you wouldn't have to jump through hoops to stay in trim.

If not, then there is a food issue of some sorts. The thing is we all eat so much, we've lost track of what is normal. It could be what you feel is a defecit is actually just normal and you have lost sensitivity to what is average.

I understand what you mean when you see people stuffing their faces freely without consequence. I am one of those people. But I am quick to point out people don't see when I am at home not eating for 3,4, sometimes 6 waking hours, or going to bed hungry.

It's not rocket science so stop making excuses and looking for other reasons why, simply, if you're fat and overweight, stop eating and exercise more, end of!

About the way it is for most people.

I would add my own opinion, and say if you can't then seek help. This is very do-able.

Ah! not obsession at all just diligence.

But do you mind me asking, is there a chance you have a thyroid problem ?, if only a very small one, you see differences in metabolism between individuals is really quite small.

If so, then surely the best solution would be treat that. That way you wouldn't have to jump through hoops to stay in trim.

If not, then there is a food issue of some sorts. The thing is we all eat so much, we've lost track of what is normal. It could be what you feel is a defecit is actually just normal and you have lost sensitivity to what is average.

I understand what you mean when you see people stuffing their faces freely without consequence. I am one of those people. But I am quick to point out people don't see when I am at home not eating for 3,4, sometimes 6 waking hours, or going to bed hungry.

I am sure Rob has no thyroid problem, because for sure he had already done 5 lab tests on it, true Rob? laugh.png

If it is a small problem, I would say DON'T treat it. Live with it.....your engine runs at a lower rpm and consume less fuel....no problem.

What is normal: My grandparents ate 3 meals per day...breakfast-lunch-dinner and never ate anything between. When grandpa stole a cookie when grandma is backing for christmas he got scold. And drink water. The real hard working people who made wood or work on the fields (pre-tractor times) had two small meals between. But the burned a lot.

That is what is normal. The only fat were women who cooked and ate between....(and not really fat by todays standard)

Not eating for 3-6 hours. That is normal. For some time I only ate in the evening....so 24 hours between meals. It is surprising how easily you get used to that. Funny enough in my country they call it "eat like a dog" as you give food for the dog only once a day. But we also feed our dogs all the time now.....

Food available always and everywhere is not normal. I recall that restaurants only offered food like 11.30-13.30 and 18.00-20.00 (with variations)

It's not rocket science so stop making excuses and looking for other reasons why, simply, if you're fat and overweight, stop eating and exercise more, end of!

I would add my own opinion, and say if you can't then seek help. This is very do-able.

unless you are sick, everyone can. The question is if someone want.

It comes with some sacrifice, specially on the beginning. Do you want to sacrifice the food you like for your body shape? Or better enjoy the food and be fat?

Be slim and eat burgers, ice cream, cake and microwave pizza + wash it down with coke just won't work.

So either slim and the lean pork with a glass of water and a cucumber or fat and all you want.....everyone can choose.

unless you are sick, everyone can. The question is if someone want.

It comes with some sacrifice, specially on the beginning. Do you want to sacrifice the food you like for your body shape? Or better enjoy the food and be fat?

Be slim and eat burgers, ice cream, cake and microwave pizza + wash it down with coke just won't work.

So either slim and the lean pork with a glass of water and a cucumber or fat and all you want.....everyone can choose.

I would say wrong, the nature of addiction seems to rob people of personal choice. there are times when people need help.

As to what you wrote in an earlier posting about normal, normal is what maintains a healthy body weight and is between 1500 and 2000 calories a day, that roughly equates to 3 square meals a day, made up of protein, complex carbohydrates and fruit/veg. That's an accepted norm in the west. If someone is leaving the table still hungry they haven't eaten enough, or enough of the right food, probably not enough complex carbs.

Logically either a person has some medical condition that is causing them to overeat, or has some sort of overeating problem. It can be both. It can be one or the other. It can't be neither.

You write, "If it is a small problem, I would say DON'T treat it. Live with it.". I would say sometimes but definitely not as a rule, small problems can have big implications, and what starts small can worsen with age. Early intervention often saves a bigger problem somewhere down the line "a stitch in time saves nine".

Archived