"not to lump everyone together who has a weight problem"

Jingthing

Laislica,

Willpower has something to do with it in healthy adults (not ) sick people. I always thought that obese was 20 or more kg overweight. But I just found out that I am obese too. My BMI is too high over 29. So I would be counted with those obese even though i got visible abs. So I guess there might be a definition problem.

I have always gone against BMI (and so do many others now) but seems that obese is based on BMI. Then I was wrong I was talking about people who are more as 20 kg too heavy.

It still means that two thirds are not obese.. and willpower comes into play when you eat. Sure I can understand people being overweight.. that is normal now. But 20 kg or more.. at that point i really start to blame the person not the environment.

I read something that our grandfathers had a lot higher testosterone as we did. So we did change a bit .. but mainly the environment.

I am not your age, but I seen changes too. When i was 12-16 we biked to school 20km a day. Now many kids consider that too far. When I was younger it was rare to go and eat at a snack bar and stuff like that. Now kids go there a lot.

Maybe I should not have written willpower, but its willpower plus education (plus some money as cheap foods are usually bad). Point is that if your getting fatter and fatter at some point the blame can't be just the environment. Otherwise 100% would be obese. Some people just abuse foods a lot more as others. When your 20 kg or more too heavy your certainly doing something wrong yourself.

Up to 20 kg.. genetics, environment ect. People should take charge of themselves at some point. Weight does not magically appear especially not with young people. Your age.. good excuse, but that is not really what I am talking about.

A BBC progrom involved a young female surgeon who was slim and very fit.

She was invited to eat from a buffet of many varied and delicious foods.

After the meal she was told that she could not eat again for 24 hours.

She said that she would have eaten more if she had known that.

The program then watched as her hormones took her over and made her crave for food.

The program showed that you can't beat your hormones.....

They are active 24x7.

If they are out of balance and cause a food craving - how can you resist?

This was a severe case but if you scale it down to the point where a person's hormones always want them to eat - how can they resist.

A study in the 80's I think, showed that the average Brit male gained 800 gr per year after the age of 35.

So every 10 years 8 Kg, sound about right?

Say at 35 he weighed 75Kg then

at 65 100Kg? Maybe this is a bit high but I can say that my weight went like this!

With a constant battle on an hour by hour basis, my "wontpower" has driven the 100Kg back below 80 Kg.

My God, what a struggle, what a life!!!!!

With age we lose testosterone and muscle mass which makes it even easier to gain body fat.

The body wears out making it harder to exercise - too much pain.

Anyway, exercise is a fine way to increase your appetite!

I gave up smoking and could give up booze because I can live without them, but I cannot give up food!

As I said before, let a few more years pass by and see how well willpower works then he he.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laislica,

Willpower has something to do with it in healthy adults (not ) sick people. I always thought that obese was 20 or more kg overweight. But I just found out that I am obese too. My BMI is too high over 29. So I would be counted with those obese even though i got visible abs. So I guess there might be a definition problem.

I have always gone against BMI (and so do many others now) but seems that obese is based on BMI. Then I was wrong I was talking about people who are more as 20 kg too heavy.

It still means that two thirds are not obese.. and willpower comes into play when you eat. Sure I can understand people being overweight.. that is normal now. But 20 kg or more.. at that point i really start to blame the person not the environment.

I read something that our grandfathers had a lot higher testosterone as we did. So we did change a bit .. but mainly the environment.

I am not your age, but I seen changes too. When i was 12-16 we biked to school 20km a day. Now many kids consider that too far. When I was younger it was rare to go and eat at a snack bar and stuff like that. Now kids go there a lot.

Maybe I should not have written willpower, but its willpower plus education (plus some money as cheap foods are usually bad). Point is that if your getting fatter and fatter at some point the blame can't be just the environment. Otherwise 100% would be obese. Some people just abuse foods a lot more as others. When your 20 kg or more too heavy your certainly doing something wrong yourself.

Up to 20 kg.. genetics, environment ect. People should take charge of themselves at some point. Weight does not magically appear especially not with young people. Your age.. good excuse, but that is not really what I am talking about.

A BBC progrom involved a young female surgeon who was slim and very fit.

She was invited to eat from a buffet of many varied and delicious foods.

After the meal she was told that she could not eat again for 24 hours.

She said that she would have eaten more if she had known that.

The program then watched as her hormones took her over and made her crave for food.

The program showed that you can't beat your hormones.....

They are active 24x7.

If they are out of balance and cause a food craving - how can you resist?

This was a severe case but if you scale it down to the point where a person's hormones always want them to eat - how can they resist.

A study in the 80's I think, showed that the average Brit male gained 800 gr per year after the age of 35.

So every 10 years 8 Kg, sound about right?

Say at 35 he weighed 75Kg then

at 65 100Kg? Maybe this is a bit high but I can say that my weight went like this!

With a constant battle on an hour by hour basis, my "wontpower" has driven the 100Kg back below 80 Kg.

My God, what a struggle, what a life!!!!!

With age we lose testosterone and muscle mass which makes it even easier to gain body fat.

The body wears out making it harder to exercise - too much pain.

Anyway, exercise is a fine way to increase your appetite!

I gave up smoking and could give up booze because I can live without them, but I cannot give up food!

As I said before, let a few more years pass by and see how well willpower works then he he.

You should read what i put in the topic appetite, that shows the differences.

Yes let a few years pass and see how I go so far I cant complain.. kept the fat off but its constant vigilance.

I saw the same show and I have problems at times too.

For people who are really overweight, like 25 kg or more overweight they don't deserve respect. At those levels there is always room for improvement. Of course its hard for people to loose weight but you got people dining in all kind of fastfood restaurants and then complaining about their weight problem.

You can't expect everyone to be slim but people should not be more as 10-15 kg overweight. Recent studies shown that some people burn more but that would only count for 5-10 kg max. if you get above that you got yourself to blame. Some people just want don't want to change and that is fine. Their life but don't moan about your weight then.

I will not shame anyone been 25kg overweight and now kept it off for over 4 years so i got right to speak. People who are overweight by choice (keep drinking alcohol and dining at the wrong places) will not be shamed by me unless they start complaining about their weight and are not willing to make changes.

Nobody ever said it would be easy its a life long commitment once you got the weight off, so I got utmost respect for those that lost their weight and kept it off. Everyone can do it as long as they are willing to change, they might not become super slim but they will improve on themselves. The moaners who think its all to hard and then don't do anything or use these kind of articles to do nothing get no respect from me.

For people who are really unable to spell, like 3 words or more misspelled in a short post like this, they don't deserve respect. At those levels there is always room for improvement. Of course it's hard for people to spell correctly and use proper grammar, but you have people trying to sound intelligent, but then they can't even spell correctly in their posts.

You can't expect everyone to be smart but people should not misspell more than 2 words in a short post. Recent studies have shown that some are just naturally stupid but that would only count for 1 misspelling max. If you get above that you have yourself to blame. Some people just want don't want to change and that is fine. Their life but don't moan about how dumb you are then.

I will not shame anyone, I too have been an uneducated moron, and now I've kept smart for over 40 years so I have a right to speak. People who are poor spellers by choice (keep watching TV and doing sports and wasting time and not studying) will not be shamed by me unless they start complaining about their stupidity and are not willing to make changes.

Nobody ever said it would be easy, it's a life long commitment once you get rid of your stupidity, so I have utmost respect for those that lost their stupidity and keep it off. Everyone can do it as long as they are willing to change, they might not become super smart but they will improve on themselves. The moaners who think it's all too hard and then don't do anything or use these kind of articles to do nothing get no respect from me.

For people who are really overweight, like 25 kg or more overweight they don't deserve respect. At those levels there is always room for improvement. Of course its hard for people to loose weight but you got people dining in all kind of fastfood restaurants and then complaining about their weight problem.

You can't expect everyone to be slim but people should not be more as 10-15 kg overweight. Recent studies shown that some people burn more but that would only count for 5-10 kg max. if you get above that you got yourself to blame. Some people just want don't want to change and that is fine. Their life but don't moan about your weight then.

I will not shame anyone been 25kg overweight and now kept it off for over 4 years so i got right to speak. People who are overweight by choice (keep drinking alcohol and dining at the wrong places) will not be shamed by me unless they start complaining about their weight and are not willing to make changes.

Nobody ever said it would be easy its a life long commitment once you got the weight off, so I got utmost respect for those that lost their weight and kept it off. Everyone can do it as long as they are willing to change, they might not become super slim but they will improve on themselves. The moaners who think its all to hard and then don't do anything or use these kind of articles to do nothing get no respect from me.

For people who are really unable to spell, like 3 words or more misspelled in a short post like this, they don't deserve respect. At those levels there is always room for improvement. Of course it's hard for people to spell correctly and use proper grammar, but you have people trying to sound intelligent, but then they can't even spell correctly in their posts.

You can't expect everyone to be smart but people should not misspell more than 2 words in a short post. Recent studies have shown that some are just naturally stupid but that would only count for 1 misspelling max. If you get above that you have yourself to blame. Some people just want don't want to change and that is fine. Their life but don't moan about how dumb you are then.

I will not shame anyone, I too have been an uneducated moron, and now I've kept smart for over 40 years so I have a right to speak. People who are poor spellers by choice (keep watching TV and doing sports and wasting time and not studying) will not be shamed by me unless they start complaining about their stupidity and are not willing to make changes.

Nobody ever said it would be easy, it's a life long commitment once you get rid of your stupidity, so I have utmost respect for those that lost their stupidity and keep it off. Everyone can do it as long as they are willing to change, they might not become super smart but they will improve on themselves. The moaners who think it's all too hard and then don't do anything or use these kind of articles to do nothing get no respect from me.

I hope you write your second language as good as I write English. Shall we put it to the test ? Or perhaps Ill ask you to write in my native language. The loose / lose mistake oh bummer.

What's all that spelling crap about then...facepalm.gif ...blink.png

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/loose-vs-lose/

I should be shot by the grammar nazi's, its unforgivable for a non native speaker to make such a mistake.

What's all that spelling crap about then...facepalm.gif ...blink.png

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/loose-vs-lose/

I should be shot by the grammar nazi's, its unforgivable for a non native speaker to make such a mistake.

I use a British English spell checker because the American spelling drives me crazy 555

Will everyone Please Stop Feeding the Troll?

I hope you write your second language as good as I write English. Shall we put it to the test ? Or perhaps Ill ask you to write in my native language. The loose / lose mistake oh bummer.

Sigh. I should have known better than to try to be subtle on ThaiVisa.

By copying your words exactly and sending them right back at you, changing only your fat-shaming and blaming of overweight people for their situation with a criticism of your misspellings, I was trying to show you how petty and ridiculous you were being, and especially, how ridiculously insensitive and offensive you were being.

As an earlier, well-thought-out response to you in this post noted, you know nothing of the battles and struggles every individual goes through.

Guess that all went over your head.

By copying your words exactly and sending them right back at you, changing only your fat-shaming and blaming of overweight people for their situation with a criticism of your misspellings, I was trying to show you how petty and ridiculous you were being, and especially, how ridiculously insensitive and offensive you were being.

As an earlier, well-thought-out response to you in this post noted, you know nothing of the battles and struggles every individual goes through.

Over my head too.

Courtesy and politeness doesn't cost a penny!

You can catch more flies with honey etc.

Oh, you obviously never really read all my posts. I have never shamed people I don't know (and will never do that its just rude). I just feel that once over a certain extra weight (I put it at around 25 kg) i feel that people (healthy ones) are for a large part responsible themselves.

At those weights everyone can improve on themselves if they take some action. Normal overweight below 25 kg too heavy can be attributed to the differences in metabolic rate and appetite. However if someone chooses to eat what they like and not change a bit.. you won't hear a thing from me, only those complaining about their weight and not changing a thing and blaming it all on external factors will get replies from me.

I know all too well how hard it is to lose weight as I have been in the same situation. My thyroid is low and when I take medicine.. then my sleep cycle gets disrupted. So I choose for my sleep, this means I need to go to extremes to stay as lean as I am now. My point is that everyone can improve on themselves.. but the moaners that constantly hide behind excuses get not much sympathy from me. Those who genuinely try and have problem do get all my sympathy.

Life is not fair, genetics play a part but that still does not mean things are impossible. A big problem is just that to stay lean you really need to change what you eat and drink and most are not willing to do that. You might still be overweight if you change your eating habits.. but not 25 kg.

Thing is they point at people who can eat what they want and say look that is the norm.. while those are just lucky. Its like me not doing my weight lifting because I can never be like Arnold. Giving up because it will be hard.

Again.. I have nothing against those who give up only to those who give up and blame it all on external factors and put no blame on themselves. We are not 100% slave of our genes we can improve on ourselves in almost any field (within our limits). But to do so for weight loss hard choices have to be made. I would love to eat as much as some can do and love to visit Swensons, Haagen Dass, Coldstone ect ect a lot but I would get fat again. Its a choice some choose one thing.. others choose an other thing and some lucky b.stards can do both.

There will always be a few people who really can't lose the weight because of external factors.. but that group is far smaller as people claim it to be. Recently I gained a 2-4 kg (my love for chocolate won out) or so and now I am fighting to lose it again.. is it nice to deprive yourself.. no its not.. its also not nice to be hungry and thinking of food. But it can be done.

Its harder if you got a lot to loose.. the 25kg i lost took me a year !!!!! that is hard mentally now I just have to be tough on myself for 1-2 months and then go back to a semi normal diet. As long as I eat loads of veggies and no processed food deep friend crap or drink alcohol I can stay on weight quite well. It just does not work if i go out to restaurants too much.

Point is choices choices and choices.. don't moan about the choices you make. People make their own bed.. and should lie in it.

If your over 25 kg too heavy and your still drinking alcohol, soft drinks and eating deep fried food and much processed food.. then yes your (partly)responsible for your own problem.

13173656_10154048443375479_2190593388242

Ha ha, I would love to!

The problem is that with extra weight my blood pressure goes up to off the clock.

My wife says that I am not too fat and that is almost true. I am only a little fatter than when I retired in June 2000. My work suit still almost fits.....

BP is my bugbear and it is a constant struggle to balance enjoying life and controlling my weight which seems to get harder with every year that passes.

Rob is quite right, it can be controlled but F F S, it's bloody hard and makes me wonder if it's really worth the deprivation!

13173656_10154048443375479_2190593388242

Ha ha, I would love to!

The problem is that with extra weight my blood pressure goes up to off the clock.

My wife says that I am not too fat and that is almost true. I am only a little fatter than when I retired in June 2000. My work suit still almost fits.....

BP is my bugbear and it is a constant struggle to balance enjoying life and controlling my weight which seems to get harder with every year that passes.

Rob is quite right, it can be controlled but F F S, it's bloody hard and makes me wonder if it's really worth the deprivation!

And that is the choice we all have to make.. is it worth the deprivation. That is a question that is really personal, I think people misunderstand me when I say I have no respect for people who are hugely overweight. I mean.. when they are hugely overweight and complaining about their weight but not taking action. Talking how it is impossible ect. I would never judge someones choice only when they complain about how impossible it is.

Also if someone tries and really puts effort in it but does not succeed I respect them a lot.

I think there is one problem that us westerners have that live with Thais, i saw a friend of mine yesterday during fishing and he gained quite a bit of weight. I asked him about it because last time he was losing weight he told me the new gf bought loads of food. We are used to eating what is on our plates (me too but I live alone now and before i was alone a lot too so i cook for myself and can control it). When in a restaurant I always finish it all so I have to watch out what I order.. its just unthinkable for me not to finish my plate (unless it really tastes like crap or is really far too much)

But Rob, I am only slightly overweight. Still fitting into a work suit from 16 years ago - OK I need a shoe horn, but what the hell.

In 2010 I walked my daughter down the isle in it!

Next month I will weare it to a Christening..... (It will be tight but wearable!)

Less than 77 Kg but my BP reacts badly......

It also gets worse with age.....

Just wait n see 555

As I have said, it's an hour by hour fight and bloody boring!

Where's the balcony.....

But Rob, I am only slightly overweight. Still fitting into a work suit from 16 years ago - OK I need a shoe horn, but what the hell.

Next month I will weare it to a Christening..... (It will be tight but wearable!)

Just wait n see 555

Where's the balcony.....

Wow that is tough luck.. only slightly overweight and your BP reacts crazy. I won't know what is comming but if I am anything like my dad I am not worried. He is now working in Thailand (after his retirement) installing an installation a Dutch company sold to a Thai / Norwegian company. He seems fit enough.. even fell of a ladder yesterday (not that that is a good thing but at least he is resilient). He is just doing it to prove something to himself.

The problem with being only slightly overweight is that the last kilo's are the hardest to go. When your really overweight its easy to lose weight (that is why I keep saying 25 kg too heavy change is dob-able). How does sports influence your blood pressure (swimming might be an option).

And the balcony thing won't work your in Spain.. Thailand is the balcony place for us foreigners.

Just wait n see 555

Where's the balcony.....

Wow that is tough luck.. only slightly overweight and your BP reacts crazy. I won't know what is comming but if I am anything like my dad I am not worried. He is now working in Thailand (after his retirement) installing an installation a Dutch company sold to a Thai / Norwegian company. He seems fit enough.. even fell of a ladder yesterday (not that that is a good thing but at least he is resilient). He is just doing it to prove something to himself.

The problem with being only slightly overweight is that the last kilo's are the hardest to go. When your really overweight its easy to lose weight (that is why I keep saying 25 kg too heavy change is dob-able). How does sports influence your blood pressure (swimming might be an option).

And the balcony thing won't work your in Spain.. Thailand is the balcony place for us foreigners.

555 we're on the 9th floor and we all use the flat roof to dry clothes.

I have a new angle - boredom!

How many farang actually live/interact with people who speak their own native language well enough for them to have an intellectually stimulating conversation?

Try this, for many they wake up and speak broken English about daily things, where to eat, shopping etc and English may not even be their native language.

What does a retired person do at this point - eat breakfast, and then?

Unless it's 6 am it's too hot to be out walking. Sit and troll on TVS for a while?

Maybe meet up with the wife's friends or family and take some form of transport and go and see a Wat or waterfall or??

Then a restaurant, home by 6 pm (ish)

All day listening to Thai and probably not understanding all that much.

Now either have a drink at home or go out to drink, there's not much else to do.

No one to have a stimulating conversation with, so watch the TV on the internet.

Go to bed.

I have tried to have an intellectually stimulating conversation with a Spanish man and I can tell you that after a short time my head hurts.

All the thinking that is necessary to find the words you need to use and to translate and interpret what your friend is saying.

My command of Thai is nothing like as expansive as my Spanish, so in Thai, I quickly get stuck at a very basic level.

Learning to read Thai was easy but it doesn't help with understanding.

It helps with pronunciation but so what.

To speak a language well, one needs a large vocabulary and that involves learning by rote!

Also less easy with age 555

My point is that with boredom comes idleness - less exercise and more chances to snack on the delicious local fruit and other goodies.....

More chance to consume a few more calories than you need.

It only takes a few extra calories on a regular basis to pile on the Kg's over the long term.

So if you have boredom on your back, along with broken hormones demanding more food/drink to satisfy the needed high - just how well will willpower work now?

Aside from doing my best to keep away from excess weight gain, I'm also trying to get both my blood pressure and cholesterol down. The doctor has had me on pills for both for well over a decade now. At least she cut the dose of the cholesterol pill in half last visit when my blood tests came in showing it was now extremely low. The blood pressure is still a work in progress. The diastolic always seems to be under 80, but the systolic in the mornings seems to be mostly in the 120's - 130's. In the evening it's usually below 120. At least I don't seem to get the spikes into the 140's - 150's I used to get. Just trying to eat more healthfully than I used to without being perfect. A half hour of aerobic exercise most mornings as well. Nothing too strenuous.

Apparently they now reckon that the types of bacteria in your pooh can dramatically affect your weight retention.

remember you can't get fat off thin air - you have to eat and eat enough to keep more than you use, but in a modern society, we all do that.

Archived