Is Building Work Complete Opposite Duan+suriw Hotels,& What Is It?

Chiangmai Foxy

Iv just had my reservation confirmed for the suriwongse hotel at xmas,now i was just wondering,has all the building work been completed opposite this hotel and diagonally opposite the duangtawan.I remember it was going on last xmas and also still at songkran.

btw what have they built? is it a new shopping centre

thanks

Iv just had my reservation confirmed for the suriwongse hotel at xmas,now i was just wondering,has all the building work been completed opposite this hotel and diagonally opposite the duangtawan.I remember it was going on last xmas and also still at songkran.

btw what have they built? is it a new shopping centre

thanks

Pleased to see that you managed to get a reservation at your preferred hotel.

Regarding your question.....

The building work is not completed (they are still constructing the shell)

It cannot be a shopping centre (it's already up to about 25 floors which would make it the largest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere)

It might be a mix of shops, offices and a major hotel (but I don't know for certain. My money is on a hotel)

At the rate they are going they will still be working there come Xmas 2007 (albeit that, by then it might be internal fit out)

Have a good holiday :o

Shangri-La Hotel and Spa - end-2007

Mariott Hotel - mid/end-2007

So I guess Changklan Road is gonna become a 'rich' farang district huh? Prices will go up, because the rich farangs will be paying for many expensive beers, food and clothes.

Changklan road is already expensive...

compared to what??

could you be more specific?

Starbucks coffee is the same price as the other 3 stores, so are the other western take out places, the night market stalls- prices are negotiable, so it really depends on the shopper to a degree and their bargaining skill. The only shop I could possibly think that may be expensive might be the new Lacoste store.

The reason why more hotels are going up along and around Changklan rd, is more to do with the popularity of the shopping area of the night market, it wont be a rich farang district due to a few more hotels, but it will be more crowded and much more dynamic. The prices wont go up too much due to the fact that if there are more places to go to drink and eat, bars and restaurants will need to be competitive to survive. Supply and demand...simple.

So I guess Changklan Road is gonna become a 'rich' farang district huh? Prices will go up, because the rich farangs will be paying for many expensive beers, food and clothes.

compared to what??

Most of the independent farang restaurants in the night bazaar are normally something like 40% more expensive than the same quality in other areas (German restaurants, Red Lion, Indian places, etc.).

That qualifies as expensive in my book. :o

compared to what??

Most of the independent farang restaurants in the night bazaar are normally something like 40% more expensive than the same quality in other areas (German restaurants, Red Lion, Indian places, etc.).

That qualifies as expensive in my book. :D

i agree,some restaurants/hotels do seem more expensive in this area.i sometimes eat at the red lion,solely for decent english food.cant comment on the german ones.

maybe you do pay more for the location is some respects.

in my opinion though,this is arguably the best area to stay for a tourist,due to close proximaty of everything you could need.also situated away from the many budget backpackers :o

only a short walk at night to the bars/clubs(loh kroh,kotchasarn,moonmuang etc.also very close to horizon,hotshots,the peak etc and of course a minute away from maccie d's and pizza hut lol

for me it is worth paying slightly more to stay in this area as opposed to places like in the top north hotel area.

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy