New Zealand man missing in Thailand after trip to Koh Samui

webfact

Police confirm Wellington dad Andrew Missen, missing in Thailand, found

A Wellington man who was reported missing in Thailand sparking pleas for help from his daughter to find him has returned home safely, police have confirmed.

Andrew Missen, a designer who has created furniture for iconic Wellington eateries, failed to return at the expected time to New Zealand after a trip to the Thai island of Ko Samui.

Police confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that Missen had returned safely to Auckland earlier that morning.

A spokesman at police national headquarters said it was not appropriate to comment on where he had been or what his condition upon return was.

Family said his hiatus was related to a flight delay.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/72542385/police-confirm-wellington-dad-andrew-missen-missing-in-thailand-found

When travelers arrive in Thailand, they need to complete an arrival card which gives the address of where the person is staying. His Daughter should ask the New Zealand Embassy, to request the Thai Royal Police in the first instance to check out that address and from there start a trace to try and locate him. Furthermore, the place wherever he stayed is required to report arrivals to the local Immigration Office and that is also worth a try to start a trace. Hopefully, he is just too busy enjoying Thailand and all that it has to offer and will appear very soon and put his Daughters understandable concerns to rest.

Immigration dont study that card to see what people have written, i always write Pattaya and i am never asked to verify anything more. If he moved around then he would not put multiple hotels down

"he never arrived at the airport in Thailand."

Has this been confirmed with the airlines? If so maybe he was never in Thailand.

The family should in any file a missing persons report with NZ authorities and contact NZ consulate in Thailand who in turn can contact Thai Immigration to check on entry and stay information.

I thought he never arrived for the return flight

Facebook and smart phones have created such dependence, its almost like crack.

I miss the days when a man could just up sticks and truck off into the wilderness or wherever for a bit of 'me' time.

I can only imagine the travails of living with a 15 year old teenager and her Facebook updates/selfies. And now you have to keep family informed every time you need to take a shit.

Good on Andrew for giving them all the finger. Hope he gave his silly (but well meaning) daughter a dressing down for interfering with a few pacemakers on TV.

He got weighted down with all the plans and designs of the Issan house he is going to build. He also needed to be sure his new fiance owned the land he will be building on. I guess he will be back soon after loose ends in NZ are taken care of. Maybe we will here from him soon asking about his visa and sin sot.

'A spokesman at police national headquarters said it was not appropriate to comment on where he had been or what his condition upon return was.'

I guess It's not good to mention bar names, massage shops and girly shows. Any spokesman wouldn't want to say he was exhausted and sore upon his return. Being up all night for 10 days can do that to a person ..... whistling.gif

Have periodically retired from society myself in days before this ever connected planet had us so leashed.

But you can still sms from a smelly, flea bitten mattress in whatever jungle delayed him. Deserves a smack but good news!

Fantastic news that he has turned up healthy, but in my opinion he has some explaining to do.

He is not a young person or a child, even if he is on holiday and having the time of his life he should still have maintained contact with his family (at the very least with his child)

In my honest opinion it appears to have been selfish and inconsiderate of him to go off the radar in such a way, ten days of drinking or debauchery are not worth this kind of anguish for the daughter.......

I miss the days when a man could just up sticks and truck off into the wilderness or wherever for a bit of 'me' time.

I can only imagine the travails of living with a 15 year old teenager and her Facebook updates/selfies. And now you have to keep family informed every time you need to take a shit.

Good on Andrew for giving them all the finger. Hope he gave his silly (but well meaning) daughter a dressing down for interfering with a few pacemakers on TV.

Nothing to do with smartphones or facebook...

It has everything to do with parental responsibility and consideration for family members who care (even if that care seems to be wasted)

By the look of it you are out of the same mould, irresponsible and uncaring, pity you're family too.......

'A spokesman at police national headquarters said it was not appropriate to comment on where he had been or what his condition upon return was.'

I guess It's not good to mention bar names, massage shops and girly shows.

Any spokesman wouldn't want to say he was exhausted and sore upon his return.

Being up all night going for it for 10 days can do that to a person ..... whistling.gif

UPDATE

A Wellington man who was reported missing in Thailand sparking pleas for help from his daughter to find him has returned home safely, police have confirmed.

Andrew Missen, a designer who has created furniture for iconic Wellington eateries, failed to return at the expected time to New Zealand after a trip to the Thai island of Ko Samui.

Police confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that Missen had returned safely to Auckland earlier that morning.

A spokesman at police national headquarters said it was not appropriate to comment on where he had been or what his condition upon return was.

His family hadn't heard from him for more than 10 days.

Well updated news is he arrived back in auckland this morning safe and well. Bit rude to not tell his daughter or family if he was dead or alive for 10 days. He must have some issues going on in his life.

oh good news, but not good he had family worried.

so we can probably say he'll be moving to Thailand soon to get married and build the house in Isaan.

I hope it is Isaan and not down South where it seems too many foreigners are losing all property and cash to black widow wives, like Ian Rance did.

You find such stories in Isaan too! sad.png

From Link in thaivisa

"Missen's website says he is based in the Wellington suburb of Newtown, and lives with his daughter Teal and his dog Honey"

So, if he lives alone - with his daughter with 15, she has every right to be concerned!

And you much to harsh with her, her fb page is harmless and completely different as you described it at least for non-friends.

https://www.facebook.com/teal.missen?fref=ts

UPDATE
His family hadn't heard from him for more than 10 days.

As he is no longer missing and has returned home:

Closed

Archived