Thai Cambodia crossing on bike

jayci

I was wanting to cross into Cambodia at the the Chong Chom/o'smach crossing on a thai registered bike.

Is this a easy thing to do or not? Can anyone give me a quick run down on the procedure?

I will be wanting to take my bike back to Thailand after the visit.

Thanks

It's extremely easy if you take the bikes registration book and that is in your name.

If you bikes headlight is "on" during the day, you will have to find a way to hide/cover it too. Also something very easily remedied.

I went over there last December and the whole process inc YOUR visa being processed probably took under an hour.

Be aware that since Sep 16 the visa processing rules changed sling Thai - Cambo boarder. While it still may be easy to take the bike out and in, it now may be impossible to get yourself back into the country after going to Cambodia.

Is that for any sort, or size of bike?

This is a good question .. As in Laos, I think there has been difficulty with smaller bikes i.e 150cc and under.

Maybe if the OP is a little more specific then someone with some hands on experience can help.

I also read in other forums over the years that at some of the smaller crossings a little tea money will help assist on the Cambodian side.

I took my 650 to Laos a couple o'weeks ago, the Thai immigration / customs were great - With a bike I avoided standing in a long queue with the foot traffic, when it was time to complete the paperwork they invited me sit in the air-con booth, when i couldn't find a document they had issued on the way out and it wasn't a problem to replicate it - 10 out of 10 for the guys at Chong Mek. It wasn't until I went over the border that time started to be wasted, I would gladly have paid another couple of hundred to speed things up on the other side.

Anyone taking a bike over, I would make sure you have multiple copies stapled together of

1. Every page of you green book, and if you have one, the translation document from DLT along with the originals.

2. Your passport / current visa sticker and both sides of driving licence ( if its a 5 year )

I don't know if this was all completely necessary, I just handed over the two packs when requested and they took it all and it was plain sailing. No need to run about looking for a photocopy shop.

Also, don't be put off when they ask for your vehicle passport, they just don't know what they are talking about - cars have a purple passport, bikes don't, but it didn't stop them from asking.

Sorry I just had to comment "I also read in other forums over the years that at some of the smaller crossings a little tea money will help assist on the Cambodian side".

A little tea money, fantastic, offends absolutely no one.

Am I right in assuming that if you have a one year licence that is no good?

Sorry I just had to comment "I also read in other forums over the years that at some of the smaller crossings a little tea money will help assist on the Cambodian side".

Sorry, you lost me there on the tea money ..

Yeah, as far as I am aware a 1 year temporary Thai license is not accepted a full license out of the country. A full license can be exchanged for an IDP, a one year license cannot.

We know that it's not totally necessary to hold an IDP, but you should have a 5 year license if you want to ride abroad. This info has been posted in this forum several times.

Saying that, does anyone care ? Unless you got into an accident. I'm just trying to think if I was required to produce it to get insurance in Laos. I don't think so.

In Malaysia they do care, first you need to get insurance and for that I needed to show my Thai license and my green book, as this caused problems, my license has Mr Christian Middle Surname and the green book Mr Surname Christian Middle. The translation isn't always required, but as I had it the girl took it to complete my bundle for the Malay authorities.

You have never crossed borders Alan ?

Is that for any sort, or size of bike?

Anyone taking a bike over, I would make sure you have multiple copies stapled together of

1. Every page of you green book, and if you have one, the translation document from DLT along with the originals.

2. Your passport / current visa sticker and both sides of driving licence ( if its a 5 year )

I don't know if this was all completely necessary, I just handed over the two packs when requested and they took it all and it was plain sailing. No need to run about looking for a photocopy shop.

Also, don't be put off when they ask for your vehicle passport, they just don't know what they are talking about - cars have a purple passport, bikes don't, but it didn't stop them from asking.

All good but you lost me with the translation document. Can you tell me what is translated and how to get it done?

Thanks

David

Yeah, as far as I am aware a 1 year temporary Thai license is not accepted a full license out of the country. A full license can be exchanged for an IDP, a one year license cannot.

We know that it's not totally necessary to hold an IDP, but you should have a 5 year license if you want to ride abroad. This info has been posted in this forum several times.

In Sihanoukville the only drivers license that is accepted is the so called International Drivers License. If you drive your motorbike down there 100% chance that they will stop you and if you are all legal except for your IDL they will want a $10 to $15 fine. Bikers have been griping about it for years since under ASEAN a Thai driving license should be acceptable. They will usually settle for between $1 to $3 but it is a hassle and they threaten you with everything from jail to impounding your bike trying to get a few more bucks. Just stand your ground. Sihanoukville is the only city where this happens in Cambodia on a regular basis to my knowledge.

Sorry, you lost me there on the tea money ..

Saying that, does anyone care ? Unless you got into an accident. I'm just trying to think if I was required to produce it to get insurance in Laos. I don't think so.

In Malaysia they do care, first you need to get insurance and for that I needed to show my Thai license and my green book, as this caused problems, my license has Mr Christian Middle Surname and the green book Mr Surname Christian Middle. The translation isn't always required, but as I had it the girl took it to complete my bundle for the Malay authorities.

You have never crossed borders Alan ?

I didn't write it, but "Tea Money" is, I aasume.....whisper! "a small bribe"

Also I am not the OP, but like him I have never taken a bike across a border, but hope to this year. Have to get a 5 year licence first, last time I renewed they said no to a 5 year, something to do with my visa.

That said, not sure if my NV400 is suitable for northern Laos roads, heavy and road tyres with 2up and may hire a bike instead..

Also I am not the OP, but like him I have never taken a bike across a border, but hope to this year. Have to get a 5 year licence first, last time I renewed they said no to a 5 year, something to do with my visa.

That said, not sure if my NV400 is suitable for northern Laos roads, heavy and road tyres with 2up and may hire a bike instead..

What visa do you have bud ? If you have a non-immigrant visa you can get a 5 year ticket.

The website doesn't specify the duration of the visa.

Print off this page and take with ..

When I went from a 1yr temp to a 5yr full with the intention of using abroad the DLT tried to fob me off with another temp until I produced the printout and they relented and made a call.

According to my local office, the computer will let you 'upgrade' 2 months prior to expiry, I was there kicking in their door on the exact day of expiry ( 10 months ) as I wanted to go riding with my mates in Malaysia the next day.

I'm not too sure on the minimum times on the new two year license, so you need to be a bit careful, otherwise you may end up waiting a lot longer for your chance.

Yes, the NV400, I dunno mate, depends what damage you are prepared to take .. Some roads are pretty new and nice, I remember before going in the dry season and the roads were flat, compact and graded mud, this last time around, I had to turn back, the road was just a collection of boulders and loose rocks. Maybe research your route before hand.

I will outline hire vs own bike.

1. It's not your bike, so it doesn't matter if you drop it. Like Clarkeson once said, "a hire car is the fastest car in the world"

2. I just spent 3 days with a cup of diesel pulling off tar marks from my white Versys and blasting out red dust from places I didn't know existed.

3. All this Charlie and Ewan stuff is great until it's time for a service. I had it done before I left, 5,000b and now after 10 days it's nearly time for another visit to Kawasaki.

What visa do you have bud ? If you have a non-immigrant visa you can get a 5 year ticket.

When I went from a 1yr temp to a 5yr full with the intention of using abroad the DLT tried to fob me off with another temp until I produced the printout and they relented and made a call.

According to my local office, the computer will let you 'upgrade' 2 months prior to expiry, I was there kicking in their door on the exact day of expiry ( 10 months ) as I wanted to go riding with my mates in Malaysia the next day.

I'm not too sure on the minimum times on the new two year license, so you need to be a bit careful, otherwise you may end up waiting a lot longer for your chance.

Yes, the NV400, I dunno mate, depends what damage you are prepared to take .. Some roads are pretty new and nice, I remember before going in the dry season and the roads were flat, compact and graded mud, this last time around, I had to turn back, the road was just a collection of boulders and loose rocks. Maybe research your route before hand.

Damage to the NV? <deleted> the bike it is me me me..and MrsB. I went down one muddy road once stayed on by the sheer grace of the gods. No skills on a 200kg+ bike with 43hp and road tyres.. and the Missus shaking on the back, yelling "let me get off you bar-steward".

That is why I am thinking of a Lifan...but will probably hire for this trip, especially with the licence issue, renewal is February next and planned the trip for later this year.

Damage to the NV? <deleted> the bike it is me me me..and MrsB. I went down one muddy road once stayed on by the sheer grace of the gods. No skills on a 200kg+ bike with 43hp and road tyres.. and the Missus shaking on the back, yelling "let me get off you bar-steward".

That is why I am thinking of a Lifan...but will probably hire for this trip, especially with the licence issue, renewal is February next and planned the trip for later this year.

LOL .. Yeah, you had better rent one then.

Have you ever thought of leaving the missus at home ? I know it gets a bit boring in the evenings, but theres nothing like a solo trip.

LOL .. Yeah, you had better rent one then.

Have you ever thought of leaving the missus at home ? I know it gets a bit boring in the evenings, but theres nothing like a solo trip.

No she won't do that, she say she "wants us to die together"!....Must be a Buddhist thing? Plus she is my interpreter, Isaan girls speak Laos most of the time.

Archived