Thai Visa 2 stroke gurus...

thaiguzzi

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thaiguzzi , i will be seeing Sammy Miller in a couple of weeks . Now theres a rider .

Bring me a pair of tires back in your suitcase please. Square you up this end c/w postage to Udon, and a nice drink on top.

I,d be glad too , but with the internal flight baggage limit of 15KG (Thai Lion Air) , i struggle myself . Im after a set of tires for my everyday run-around , a Platinum PX 250 supermotard , which im after some 17" dual sport tires for. Similar tread pattern to a Keeway / Lifan dual sport bikes , but 17" .. I will ask here , and in another thread.

Unnerstan.

Thanx.

No 17" tyres for your application? Try perhaps big bike shops Kawa/BMW etc.

I can get 17" rears in the correct size , 4.60 , but the fronts are 3.00 , and i can only find rears in that size . Only 17" fronts are 70 width. If you find a picture of the standard PX , you will understand the tire problem. Best bet so far is IRC Trails - not trials - GP1. IRC also do Trials tires , available from 29 tires , Bangkok.

Any trials competitions coming up?

In Thailand.

From what little i know of the scene over here, it appears the NW is the main trials area in Thailand, both Felang and Thai riders and competitions. Weather and landscape (mountains, rocks, streams etc) are ideal for the sport.

I can get 17" rears in the correct size , 4.60 , but the fronts are 3.00 , and i can only find rears in that size . Only 17" fronts are 70 width. If you find a picture of the standard PX , you will understand the tire problem. Best bet so far is IRC Trails - not trials - GP1. IRC also do Trials tires , available from 29 tires , Bangkok.

Unnerstan.

Thanx.

No 17" tyres for your application? Try perhaps big bike shops Kawa/BMW etc.

Jeff,

you got contact details or phone number for this 29 tires shop?

Do you know if i can get Pirelli MT43 trials tires from the Pirelli shop?

Apparently the best Michelin modern tubeless tires are not that great on the older rims designed to run tubes.

Just been in my favourite corner bike shop. Bloke, his daughter and two sons, always very polite and helpful. No basic work is done here like tyre changing, oil changes etc. Rebores and headwork, lathe work yes but, the place is more like a wholesaler, ie other small shops use him for parts. The bloke has EVERYTHING. I brought my parts book with me today, asked him you got all the gaskets, clutch plates, big and small ends, pistons, rings etc etc. Yep on every single item. Asked him if he could get big bore kits in from BKK, he said why, we just re-sleeve in Udon, rebore to size here, what size do you want? 57, 58, 59 or 60mm, can do it all and supply suitable pistons WITHOUT modifying the head. Piston + rebore 550 baht, add 1k if a sleeve is needed inc port work. Stunned. Flabbergasted. Chuffed.

Ordered Boyesen dual stage power reeds for the Yamaha RXZ 135 engine listed on their website in the USA. Apparently they will fit a multitude of air cooled 2T Thai/Malay 125ish style bikes if anyone is interested. Part no. #752. Price is $32.95 + $10.00 tracked shipping. Not too shabby. Local shop has fibre reeds for 90 baht per petal ie 180 baht per set, but these are are pretty much the same as std.

Plastics back from the paint shop Friday.

The RZX has about the same torque as the Phantom 150 but at 1500 rpm less so my original thoughts are flawed, especially for trials.facepalm.gif

You can get your RZX to 147cc by using a RX King 1mm oversize 59mm piston but I noticed yours has 140 on the tank so it may already has a stock RX King 58mm piston at 142cc, so there goes another of my ideas.

Stock RXZ only has a 7:1 compression so there is a bit of wiggle room there, but if yours has a 58mm piston it may also have a modified head already.

Had the head off the other day. It is in fact 58mm, so 142cc. I was under the impression the previous owner had bored it to 57mm. Jolly good.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates.

Paint back from the paint shop, very nice. Stickers made up and fitted, understated and excellent. Best of all, same day as i was fitting the above, the Boyesen Dual stage Power Reeds turned up in the post. I CANNOT BELIEVE the difference in throttle response from the std petal reeds, which were maybe tired but in good condition. 3 ft Wheelies in 1st, 10" wheelies in 2nd, when it would'nt before, all on throttle and body position, no clutch needed. Immense control and torque off idle, screams top end power, and the whole carburation is so fantastic (it was'nt bad before). Best $32 worth of tuning i've ever fitted to any bike. Now writing a thanx letter to Boyesen. One of those products that does do what it says on the tin.
Pics to follow in a new thread. really chuffed how it turned out.

# No, KTMJ. Lampkin, has, and always will have more talent in his little finger, than i have in my complete body, re trials riding skills.

# Boyesen reeds - yeah, just an unbelievable power, and more importantly, throttle response improvement. Just off idle, the difference is insane.

# Std gearing for an approx 100kg odd RXZ is 15/36. This thing is 12/51. Acceleration is as quick as you can change gears. I dunno what the top speed is (80-90?), but it gets there at the drop of a hat. But what is also so impressive is the low speed pull, machining and fitting a flywheel weight is now on the back burner...

# Oh, and got the weight down to 81kgs (178 lbs in old money), no fuel but inc. 600ml of 30w oil, now no reg/rectifier, only 5 wires on the bike, and the std thick as my thumb harness binned.

post-139129-0-16769300-1446952654_thumb.post-139129-0-76923000-1446952778_thumb.

• 6 months later...

Any trials competitions coming up?

In Thailand.

From what little i know of the scene over here, it appears the NW is the main trials area in Thailand, both Felang and Thai riders and competitions. Weather and landscape (mountains, rocks, streams etc) are ideal for the sport.

Most of the Thai motorcycle trials events are based around Chiang Mai .If you use facebook there are many pages with trials information including: trials club Thailand and CTS (the rest in thai script)most of the top riders have pages too but most is in thai.CTS sponsor some events .There is a small group using some land just outside Mimburi .They are fortunate enough to have a young spainish guy help train them,though I think he's back home at the moment.I myself have recently acquired a Honda TLM260r very cheaply.Its a bit rough as expected but it runs very nicely and a set of new tires would improve it greatly.

post-2215-0-66236200-1462824912_thumb.jp

Not so rare even in Thailand,though they were mostly sold in Japan and they are more often seen in 200 220 and 250cc guise here.Built by HRC from about 89-94 all TLM.s were 2 strokes.

In the uk they ar fetching silly money now.The 260 Is sort after and nicely restored fetch from £2000 to even £5000 in showroom condition a few photos of mine,and a few of how they should look plus a few special restorations though mine is I suspect an early model as I have never seen another one with that lower type exhaust and heat shield.post-2215-0-02250100-1462866909_thumb.pn

Having trouble getting more photos to load will try again in next post

As you can see from the photo I only paid 22000b which is a good price even for here.

Try load the other photos nowpost-2215-0-68782600-1462868022_thumb.pnpost-2215-0-16437300-1462868096_thumb.pnpost-2215-0-78667100-1462868175_thumb.pnpost-2215-0-82481000-1462868221_thumb.jp

Luckily it's a runner and started second kick after shipping from Chiangmai Mai because I suspect spares aren't going to be easy.

Need a new petrol tank cover and mudguard as have been extensively repaired and each now weigh several kilos extra. Both are available in the Uk .May bring over sometime myself,but for now they will do.I have not attended any of the northern events as I based east of Bangkok but did go to watch one of Eduards training sessions at Mimburi

Haven't managed to source a set of decent tyres yet either. 14 years ago I bought a very rough Honda TLR200 here and never managed to get tyres for it . I asked a Thai guy at the training session about tyres and he admitted his were 4 years old so I think not too easy to get but probably in Chiangmai Mai as that's the main area for trials events here.

I have done no work on it except to lightly strip it for obvious damage the worst thing I found was the alloy subframe will need welding but that's no problem here.

post-2215-0-01133400-1462870447_thumb.jp

# Very nice! Especially at that price!

# UK tank shelter/covers and seats, i presume you mean the work of Paul @ Shedworks? Top notch stuff.

# Your TLM have an alloy tank under the plastics?

# Those Rothman Honda RTL's (4 stroke) fetch absolutely stupid money in the UK these days, stunning bikes to look at, but apparently a TY250 or Fantic was a better bike to ride for your average clubman.

# I know Mr. Sochiro or Mr. Honda always disliked two strokes immensely, i don't think they ever made a 2T road bike, and although they made moto cross and GP 500 race bikes in two stroke format just to keep up with the Joneses (Suzuki and Yamaha), for all the years they were the only ones pushing 4 strokes in the trials scene inc the last of the line fabulous RTL's, it must have made the top brass pretty sick to have to revert to offering a 2T smoker...

Yes ,Shedworks is the place to go for the tank cover and mudguards.Mine has a plastic tank underneath.

Always prefered 2 strokes for their instant power delivery though have owned trials Tiger cubs and even a Honda TL125 or two.

Dont compete anymore as getting or have got too old but enjoy a trail ride and occasional practice session still.

Just purchasing a old Honda Tena that has offroad tyres and even a green book for 5000b .Planning on rebuild and maybe better forks and bigger wheels for that.

Probably enjoy the conversion work as much as riding now.post-2215-0-86853700-1462986130_thumb.jp

Back in UK for a few weeks and will be watching my son compete on his Fantic in some twin shock nationals plus more modern events if his Vertigo comes soon.

Bring some tyres back from the UK in your suitcases.

There is a Thai glass fibre guy in CM who does good work apparently. He's doing me a mold and then some TY seat bases, not cheap, but then quality work never is.

I've got a big shopping list for my TY250's too, when i'm back in the UK later this year. Doing up two bikes simultaneously...

Gasket sets, oil seal sets, cables @ nearly a 1000 baht a pop, Renthal bars, footrest bling...

9000 baht for an o/s piston kit... yikes!

post-139129-0-37090500-1463035301_thumb.

# I know Mr. Sochiro or Mr. Honda always disliked two strokes immensely, i don't think they ever made a 2T road bike, and although they made moto cross and GP 500 race bikes in two stroke format just to keep up with the Joneses (Suzuki and Yamaha), for all the years they were the only ones pushing 4 strokes in the trials scene inc the last of the line fabulous RTL's, it must have made the top brass pretty sick to have to revert to offering a 2T smoker...

Being a big fan of the 2 strokes I have to correct you on that one TG: Besides the GP and MX bikes Honda made one of the most popular 2 stroke road bikes back in the late 80's early 90's

The Honda NSR250 ( MC16-MC18-MC21-MC28), besides those 250's the less popular NSR400 triple road bike.and numerous baby NSR's like: NSR's 50cc-80cc-125cc-150cc.

Ok ok. Alright alright... apart from water cooled NSR's, what has Honda ever done for the 2T road market?

Back in the post air cooled days, i remember the Yamaha LC 350 being the 2T bike to have in the UK, followed by the Aprilia 125/250's being very popular. I never seemed to remember 2T Hondas on the road, probably did'nt take much notice at the time, my 2T days were over by the late 70's

The glory 2T air cooled days of my spotty teenage days, bikes like the Yamaha RD twins, the Suzuki GT twins and triples and to a lesser extent the Kawasaki KH triples ruled the roost.

Archived