Thai Visa 2 stroke gurus...

thaiguzzi

Resurrecting an old thread.

More advice/info please.

Glutton for punishment.

So i don't have enough hours in the day for my current projects and still want another one.

Still rebuilding my '79 Triumph T140 motor, modifying the rear end of the bike. Just started a full restore on two 1984 Yamaha ty250 mono's (from a choice of 4 i have). These will be identical bar the paint jobs. Brought back hundreds of pounds worth of parts last month from the UK. Two of everything...

Anyway, now fancy a 2 stroke road bike project. All plastics removed, stripped down, custom seat, single headlight etc etc. Shop in my town has tatty NSR 150's always for sale, can get anything in to order, with book, i asked him to get a TZM 150 in for me to look at. These are the biggest in physical size i'm led to believe. I'm 6'3" and 100kgs. However, after reading up on TZM's, TZR's, KRR's, NSR's etc, this power valve thingey is putting me off. You may know i'm already a Luddite, and i presume a battery and decent charging system must be in place for servo's etc to actually work. More stuff to go wrong or pretty reliable?

One of my staff has a water cooled Honda Beat attached to a sidecar, and this did'nt look too bad as a donor bike. I think it's 110cc, but no power valve. He say's it used to do 140 before it was retired as a work hack and chair. Somebody else mentioned the KIPS system is mechanical and no electronics nor servo motor?

Or is there an air cooled motor on a bike with a deltabox type frame available? I have just searched and they are all pretty much underbones or std type tube chassis.

My main choice would be Yamaha (wot i had as a kid) and because i like speed block paint jobs...

Thanx in advance.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want a road bike, do you mean hiway ? City ?  I spent many hours welding expansion chambers in my 2 stroke racing days, never had a power valve motor, but understand for a street bike they are the way to go, as you vary the exhaust timing but for a bike for the hiway, where you run 100K plus more or less constant, a properly designed and built exhaust will get you by. Did Yamaha ever import RD's here ?  Never seen one. Or Suzuki had the ATC (?) system, never seen one of them here neither.

No, not highways, got my Guzzi for that and touring up here in the NE and NW. Got my T140 for that too and more local roads. More of a light fun bike for local use. Something a tad different, and smart. Ca'nt even imagine me nipping 80 kms to Nong Khai and 80 kms back.

If the displacement - bore and stroke - stock, then the stock pipe dimensions are probably as good as it gets. Increase diameter of exp. chamb. to move peak power up the RPM band, narrow and lengthen to provide more of a 'torque' type powerband. If you use the stock pipe, might be a good idea to cut it in half lengthwise, remove the accumulated carbon sure to be there, and reweld back together. If the pipe is not so thin with use over the years that it is hard to butt weld. In that case get a strip of thin flat bar and weld that to the EC, keeping the original cut line in the middle of the new flatbar. This will keep you away from the edge and allow for enuf heat to be used. Hopefully.

On 12 May 2016 at 2:08 PM, Dutchbike said:

Being a big fan of the 2 strokes I have to correct you on that one TG: Besides the GP and MX bikes Honda made one of the most popular 2 stroke road bikes back in the late 80's early 90's

The Honda NSR250 ( MC16-MC18-MC21-MC28), besides those 250's the less popular NSR400 triple road bike.and numerous baby NSR's like: NSR's 50cc-80cc-125cc-150cc.

Beat me to it . Those NSR 250's were gorgeous back in the day, only available as a very pricey grey import in the UK.

NSR 400, first road bike to have nickasil (sp) bores, if I remember right.

Would love to have my old LC 350 and RGV 250 over here.

Two strokes ROCK!!

On 1/8/2017 at 2:05 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Anyway, now fancy a 2 stroke road bike project. All plastics removed, stripped down, custom seat, single headlight etc etc. Shop in my town has tatty NSR 150's always for sale, can get anything in to order, with book, i asked him to get a TZM 150 in for me to look at. These are the biggest in physical size i'm led to believe. I'm 6'3" and 100kgs. However, after reading up on TZM's, TZR's, KRR's, NSR's etc, this power valve thingey is putting me off. You may know i'm already a Luddite, and i presume a battery and decent charging system must be in place for servo's etc to actually work. More stuff to go wrong or pretty reliable?

I would think that a NSR 150 and a TZM are about the same size. Not very big. 

If upcountry and just want to zoom to 7-Eleven then there are many Yamaha Belles in various guises. Honda Beat/Dash would be OK but yes small. They are a blast when they come on the pipe. There is a faired version of something very similar here that all the street racer guys use but again small. 

Power valves are reliable. But yes it is electrics and servos. 

Cool at the moment seems to be Kawasaki GTO there are a few around me. All tricked up with perforated swing arms and pipes etc. Not Cafe racer exactly but classic looking just the same.

That could be an interesting project, I envy you TG having so much time for your projects, I have my Lifan project gathering dust for over a year now ah well.

There's not much choice if you want a aircooled engine in a deltabox frame, I can't think of any bike in that configuration available in Thailand.

and yes all those 150cc have some kind of powervalve/rc valve system which needs a servo/battery, and in a naked bike a watercooled engine looks a bit outta place.

A couple of years back with my limited technical skills I made a low budget cafe racer out of a TZR, which after a couple of years still runs well  but now only could use a new paintjob and replacement of some cheap copy parts such as the headlight.

As you like Yamaha I would go for a RXZ which could be a nice base for a project,  you are familiar with the engine, or else a Kawasaki GTO.

Good luck.

DB1100 (1).jpg1100 (2).jpgDochaki-Blade-Yamaha-RXZ-4-speed-Cafe-Racer-Modified.jpgtzr before.JPG

TZR after.JPG

Thanx for the replies guys. I've spent (too) much time researching this the last few days. Time to get back to reality and get my hands grubby, and finger nails black... Forget about it for a while till something shows up.

Researched all the archived TV 2 stroke threads inc DB's cafe project above. Would be something similar to what he finished up with, just better detailed, no disrespect intended. Have workshop here (lathe, mill), have contacts in the States that make a plethora of various fibre glass clubman, tz etc seats, have a good local paint shop and custom sticker shop (gotta have speed blocks!)...

Saw a Kawasaki Serpico yesterday in town. Impressed. 97k kms on the clock (that's 60,000 miles !!) and it was immaculate, obviously well loved by it's owner. Tried to have a good look at the power valve system, under the fairing, it appeared to have no cables going to it, and was mechanically driven? That's a bonus, i was hoping to have minimal electrics/electronics, and possibly run batteryless.

Yam RXZ, Kawa GTO etc are just too much like a 125 street bike for learners, er, because they are a 125 learner bike/ 3rd world transport. Got to be deltabox frame for the look i want.

Maybe a legit TZM with an RXZ lump shoe horned in... The Kawa motor yesterday looked good...

Those Indian RX bikes have a different motor to the Thai/Malay bikes, different bore and stroke and much less power. The RXZ-S available here is 20bhp and a 6 speed...

I forgot one  bike you might want to have a look at: the naked Kawasaki victor ( a couple of years back the Thai police used them)

Looks like a better starting point then a  Serpico/KRR  and plenty of fast parts available.

4v-o.jpgimg3.jpgKawasaki_Victor_L_1.jpg

Thank you DB. That's more like it.

No fairing to throw away, already got a single headlight. Just need a little bikini fairing or headlight top shroud to hide the hideous clocks. Those gold/bronze engines look really good, noticed that on the Serpico i looked at. Indeed, our local plod in my nearby town have a couple of those. I will enquire further.

Any comments on the KIPS power valve system?

"Kawasaki KIPS

Kawasaki uses a power-valve system called KIPS (Kawasaki Integrated Powervalve System) on their two-stroke bikes. The KIPS utilizes both alterations in port height, closing of the secondary port ducting, and a resonant chamber. KIPS is operated by a mechanical governor on single cylinder machines .The twin cylinder bikes have an electric motor transferring movement via cable and linkages"

No personal experience with the KIPS system but I heard they are pretty reliable. and no (expensive) servo.

Some years back when I needed a document  from the local police station I had a look at the back yard and there were about 30 retired police Kawasaki victors  parked, last time I was there they were gone and replaced by a bunch of retired Police Tigers ( they all have CBR's now) Not sure what happens with those old bikes maybe they go on public sales? I now wish I would have asked them about the victors.

Well guys, i've gone off the idea now.

Had two of my staff come round on payday the other day. One thing led to another, and before i know it, a box of Chang has been polished off. Honda Beat with sidecar attached parked nearby. Kids come home from school. I go and sit on said motorcycle. Son takes a photo of me.... Fortunately...

Jesus H. Christ with a midget in each pocket. Giant Circus Man on a Mini Bike!! Buffoon. Ridiculous tall man on a pocket/monkey bike. Laughing stock! Etc etc...

Just too bleedin' small.

So, forget that one...

Now, if someone spots a legal plated, with book, one of the following, please get back to me;

Suzuki GT 380/550

Yamaha RD 350/400

Kawasaki KH 500

Adios, fellow 2 stroke lovers.

On 15/1/2017 at 0:52 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

I'm have thinking of buying an NSR150sp as a back up bike or project bike.

Can probably buy an okay one for 20-40k thb. The SP is, I believe, the much better and faster model than the NSR150R, and packs about 40hp.

spfrontright.jpg

I built one out of two, added a yss shock, and pipe, cracking fun bike! Will be selling them both soon, only due to to many bikes and getting some 2 stroke off road bikes. (love that 2 stroke powerband). PM if interested and i can give the full details and pics.

Are parts still easily available for them. They must be at least 15 years old. I think production stopped in 2002.

I had an old TZR150 in Thailand 10 years ago. It was fun above 7000rpm but dead below that. Wasn't one for commuting. 

• 8 months later...

Archived