No fail grading system.

padkrapow

Hi

I am a new teacher working for a Government primary school teaching English. I receive very little information or help regarding the grades & curriculum despite my efforts to request it!

I have been told that the students 'can't fail'. I don't really understand this and I'm not getting any clarification. Can any teachers shed some light on this in regards to grading the students.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the same in many schools (certainly mine)

I give the honest mark to the best of my knowledge and simply explain that I won't be changing it. What they choose to do with that grade is entirely up to them.

As sad as this sounds, don't fight it. It would be like banging your head against a brick wall.

"You think too much, na. Too seriut"

Whenever this is brought up its always good for a huge laugh. Usually, its frustrated teachers who 20-40 years ago would have been failing themselves. Thus may not be the op, jus sayin...

In the US many, many students are passed thru levels who go on to graduate and are functional illiterates. Why not here? Judging by the genius UK teachers I've taught with only one graduated university, that's about 7%.

So why the stress bro? Education isn't really important to you either.

Further, how, where is this third world education system going to provide remedial services and whose paying? No one ever brings up this gem.

Moreover, I hate blaming the system, I won't, but here I cut some slack. These kids have poor teachers, crap books, one hundred white faces, Filipino and N English accects, 40C heat in the class, poverty, family issues, peer pressures...and you want to shitcan their grade because they did not do X and Y in your class. Hope you have a ton of professional experience to make that assessment. Your tests and teaching, etc...not saying here it was you but maybe in part it was. First year teachers Im lookjng so hard at you. The tefl flunkies.

Why NOT give them the minimum grade I mean you're not a real teacher? You never had a lick of interest in teaching until now. This is just some job that keeps you in Thailand. Pretty disingenuous really.

Thailand wants them to pass. Pass them fools,

Finally, the system allows you to enter a grade of 50%, how much more of a fail do you need to brand on these children dear "teachers"?

There's not much you can do really. I fail them, and they come for a retest. They end up with a 50%. And anyone knows a 50% was a fail. Noone in the Thai system is fooled by this. Everyone knows, including universities who recruit students for their courses. A GPA less than 2 really does not get any student into a decent course in this country anyway, so it should not be our main concern. I take great pleasure in retesting students during their vacation (I'm at work anyway).

Whenever this is brought up its always good for a huge laugh. Usually, its frustrated teachers who 20-40 years ago would have been failing themselves. Thus may not be the op, jus sayin...

In the US many, many students are passed thru levels who go on to graduate and are functional illiterates. Why not here? Judging by the genius UK teachers I've taught with only one graduated university, that's about 7%.

Further, how, where is this third world education system going to provide remedial services and whose paying? No one ever brings up this gem.

Moreover, I hate blaming the system, I won't, but here I cut some slack. These kids have poor teachers, crap books, one hundred white faces, Filipino and N English accects, 40C heat in the class, poverty, family issues, peer pressures...and you want to shitcan their grade because they did not do X and Y in your class. Hope you have a ton of professional experience to make that assessment. Your tests and teaching, etc...not saying here it was you but maybe in part it was. First year teachers Im lookjng so hard at you. The tefl flunkies.

Why NOT give them the minimum grade I mean you're not a real teacher? You never had a lick of interest in teaching until now. This is just some job that keeps you in Thailand. Pretty disingenuous really.

Finally, the system allows you to enter a grade of 50%, how much more of a fail do you need to brand on these children dear "teachers"?

Utter tripe from you as usual. Almost nothing you say is intelligent or informed. Your habitual attacks on native speakers teaching in Thailand are disgusting ignorant rants that serve to make things more difficult for everyone else, including the students. Thai education is all the better for every moment you keep your ill-informed mouth shut.

You can't "fail" a student and you should give at least a 2.5, even to those who never attended class.

Would you fail students, you'd make yourself jobless.

Please see attached files.

A good tip: Please do not waste too much time with grading. It's wasted time. thumbsup.gif

P.S. The maximum a student can achieve in one academic school year is 100 points.

Usually divided into two 50 point units. 30 points maximum for tests, achievements, etc,, plus max. 20 points for the midterm, as well as the final examination.

Hope that helps.

post-158336-0-25153000-1443789699_thumb.

The perfect system.doc

Utter tripe from you as usual. Almost nothing you say is intelligent or informed. Your habitual attacks on native speakers teaching in Thailand are disgusting ignorant rants that serve to make things more difficult for everyone else, including the students. Thai education is all the better for every moment you keep your ill-informed mouth shut.

Excuse me? Does that mean that an attack on NNEST( Non native English speaking teachers) seem to be okay for you? Just curious. facepalm.gif

"Native speakers." A native ability or quality is one that you possess naturally without having to learn it. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 5 education systems in the world.

Finland does not give their kids standardized tests.

It is not mandatory to give students grades until they are in the 8th grade.

Finnish schools don't assign homework, because it is assumed that mastery is attained in the classroom. thumbsup.gif

http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-finland-phenomenon-inside-the-worlds-most-surprising-school-system-588.php

Top Education systems

1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland

http://www.edudemic.com/learning-curve-report-education/

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 3 education systems in the world.

Finnish schools don't assign homework, because it is assumed that mastery is attained in the classroom. thumbsup.gif

http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-finland-phenomenon-inside-the-worlds-most-surprising-school-system-588.php

Thought this is the Thai Visa Forum? Sorry, logged into the wrong forum. My mistake.

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 3 education systems in the world.

Thought this is the Thai Visa Forum? Sorry, logged into the wrong forum. My mistake.

No problem. I'm used to teachers with low reading skills. The topic is no fail grading system and a sucessful example of no fail grading in fact no grading at all is Finland. wai.gif Thailand could learn a lot from Finland as they went from a poor to a great education system and one of the tools used was eliminating grading.

*Deleted posts edited out*

In respect to not grading Thailand may have a head start on many Western education systems. I have found it is mostly inferior teachers who are hung up on giving grades. My suggestion to the OP is to use the no fail system to his advantage as many advanced school systems use the no grade system as does Finland. Not grading just gives him an advantage over many primitive education systems are still struggling with grades.

If you would like any other hints on improving the Thai education system and cutting costs feel free to ask.

I response to the OP 'padkrapow' (cool username by the way!), the only clarification I can give is that Thai students are graded in Thai schools. Without knowing your particular school, I write from the experience of having two Thai step-kids. They are teenagers now but they most certainly did have school grades whilst at Primary school. The only thing I can think of is that the 'no fail' situation pertains specifically to their English grades.
To understand this, you might look at modern solution to grading such as JumpRope. Of course this is American and I'm not suggesting for one second that it should or would be used in a Thai primary school, it's just an example. If you look at the JumpRope homepage, you'll notice that students can receive a 'Meets' if they are meeting a certain standard, 'Exceeds' if they exceed or 'Developing' if they are working towards it. I just use that 'developing/meets/exceeds' as one example of a 'no fail' grading scenario. My guess is that something like this is being used and no-one has the English skills to explain it or they can't be bothered.

What I understand is that basically all students will pass ANY test, nobody will ever fail in Thailand!

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I teach M1-3 students on Saturday but two of them have failed. I won't ask them

which grade they had to do for 2 years, though. Yes, some students in Thailand

will, unfortunately.

It's not just the 'no fail policy' that's the problem. At the 'SS' the minimum passing grade was 50%. Imagine trying to teach a G7 student secondary English when they've only achieved 2% (on a multiple choice test) for 6 years.

At a Nontaburi school not unaffiliated with the person who guards the gates to heaven, the minimum score was 60%.

At the government EP I have had the misfortune to teach at recently, named after the BTS station that connects to the Airport Link, all students score 70% minimum.

The parents get what they pay for...no wonder the 'best' Thai universities require a 100% entrance exam.

At what point did you decide to not say anything serious and just be a d***?

I've been out here for decades, lived and traveled to tens of countries and spoken to ten thousand non native speakers of English. You know who are the worst? Those from Northern England, Scotland, N Ireland and East London. Its not just the pronunciation, its all the atrocious slang that they seem clueless to strip from their speech.

When I listen to these plebs, I honestly have no idea what they are saying half the time and therefore if I have no idea, how possibly can their students?

Its really no why American English is now target language choice from MENA to Korea and all nations in between, including Hong Kong which has forgotten the British entirely.

As for my attacks on native speakers, if the shoe fits...

1. I can think of no English person save one that I have ever worked with that has had a BA. All contractors or on a diy B visa.

2. Most Europeans and even South Africans have a more lovely accent than those from UK I had mentioned. Ouch, sorry.

3. I've always been totally unimpressed with the work ethic, but there are plenty of lazy teachers.

4. I have never understood through other teachers, Thai teachers or students that these persons were good teachers.

5. Government is starting to require background checks on UK individuals. Why? There must be a reason.

At the end of the day, objectively speaking these people are not persons anyone should be modeling their speech on, quite simple really.

Funny, because Thailand throughly does not understand English, it hires these people thinking they are getting a Welsh accent but alas, its just "Brummie". Everything spouted from their mouths is some sort of indecipherable regional slang spoken with with this atrocious tongue. They simply cant help it, no education, no clue.

I'm calling bs on it.

Did you know many English persons also go to English language schools to reduce their insufferable accents so they may obtain employment in greater England? No joke. So why are you in my face about pointing this out?

The lovely accent that used to be known as the Queen's English is now known in the gutter as "posh English" - the plebs berating their own offical, proper langauge. Again - posh...slang. The slang is just absolutely never ending with the lower classes in this country. It spews forth endlessly, they can't even contain it in an office environment even when the office is dedicated to the English language.

Given the general lack of diploma, speech, criminality, drinking issues its only a matter of time before Thailand wakes up.

Yeah, the Visayan Filipino accent is awful and what Asian wants to be taken for a nation commonly referred to as the "sick man of Asia".

Does anyone think that a Thai student speaking with an Cockney, Birmingham, Liverpool or Manchester accent could be a good thing? Ever? Ever? No. Not ever.

I've been out here for decades, lived and traveled to tens of countries and spoken to ten thousand non native speakers of English. You know who are the worst? Those from Northern England, Scotland, N Ireland and East London. Its not just the pronunciation, its all the atrocious slang that they seem clueless to strip from their speech.

When I listen to these plebs, I honestly have no idea what they are saying half the time and therefore if I have no idea, how possibly can their students?

Its really no why American English is now target language choice from MENA to Korea and all nations in between, including Hong Kong which has forgotten the British entirely.

1. I can think of no English person save one that I have ever worked with that has had a BA. All contractors or on a diy B visa.

2. Most Europeans and even South Africans have a more lovely accent than those from UK I had mentioned. Ouch, sorry.

3. I've always been totally unimpressed with the work ethic, but there are plenty of lazy teachers.

4. I have never understood through other teachers, Thai teachers or students that these persons were good teachers.

5. Government is starting to require background checks on UK individuals. Why? There must be a reason.

At the end of the day, objectively speaking these people are not persons anyone should be modeling their speech on, quite simple really.

Funny, because Thailand throughly does not understand English, it hires these people thinking they are getting a Welsh accent but alas, its just "Brummie". Everything spouted from their mouths is some sort of indecipherable regional slang spoken with with this atrocious tongue. They simply cant help it, no education, no clue.

I'm calling bs on it.

Did you know many English persons also go to English language schools to reduce their insufferable accents so they may obtain employment in greater England? No joke. So why are you in my face about pointing this out?

The lovely accent that used to be known as the Queen's English is now known in the gutter as "posh English" - the plebs berating their own offical, proper langauge. Again - posh...slang. The slang is just absolutely never ending with the lower classes in this country. It spews forth endlessly, they can't even contain it in an office environment even when the office is dedicated to the English language.

Given the general lack of diploma, speech, criminality, drinking issues its only a matter of time before Thailand wakes up.

Yeah, the Visayan Filipino accent is awful and what Asian wants to be taken for a nation commonly referred to as the "sick man of Asia".

Does anyone think that a Thai student speaking with an Cockney, Birmingham, Liverpool or Manchester accent could be a good thing? Ever? Ever? No. Not ever.

Although I agree with you, your post has nothing to do with the topic. If I graded I'd give you an F.

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 5 education systems in the world.

Top Education systems

1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland

And how much homework do the top countries give? Ans assessment?

Here is the answer I got a few years ago,

"If you are a good teacher you will teach the students who failed until they can understand and pass."

Loved all the innuendos...

1. Work for free on your own free time to explain things to kids who just don't care.

2. Do like the Thai teachers and just give them a passing mark.

I'm calling bs on it.

You are so very funny, and so elitist. Most English Southerners have strong accents too. Not even most programs on the BBC have "Queen's English". For a lot of English history the Royal family and their lackeys have spoken French, Dutch and recently German. Queen's English is an invention of the "would be elite", of which you sir obviously have pretensions to join. I have met Swedes who talked with Geordie accents, Chinese with Scouse accents, Indians with Brummy accents, amusing yes, wrong NOT. One of the main reasons that English is accepted around the world is because it's flexible and doesn't have the strict rules many other languages have. So please keep your racist and elitist comments to yourself.

Top Education systems

1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland

And how much homework do the top countries give? Ans assessment?

Finland is in the top countries and they don't give any.

It's amusing and astonishing to see teachers in this discussion thread berating each other. The amusement comes from observing the typographical errors, misspellings, grammar and outright ignorance of logical argument. The astonishment comes from the loss of focus on the welfare of the children you are allegedly teaching.

Call yourselves teachers? Pig's arse. You are teaching here because you wouldn't make the grade in any Western country.

Don't forget the quality of invective like, "Pig's arse."

...you are the only one that can be failed.....

Do you know how to use the quote function so people understand who you are talking to? I get it. You failed the quote function posting test and you is a typo. Sorry. If you need help I'm sure there are instructions somewhere on how to post. smile.png

I'm calling bs on it.

Gee what a ponce of a prick you are!

You should write to the BBC. Talking about "Queens English" - most presenters on BBC World these days have foreign or Australian accents and some cannot even enunciate R's correctly - Oh Weally.

What do you really expect to attract to Thailand with the salaries these schools offer?

I'm just thankful I didn't have to rely on a career as a teacher in a developing country with my tamed Norther accent.

What is the real issue here? I detect a chip. Doesn't look like your accent has elevated you anything. LOL

A repost of mine:

There are basically two types of schools in Thailand (and I've worked at both): those that follow the rules and those that don't. The ones that follow the rules are GENERALLY international schools. They pay relatively well, they have decent benefits, and most importantly THEY WILL FAIL STUDENTS WHO DON'T PERFORM.

Those that DON'T follow the rules will hire just about anybody. I won't go into details, there's not enough room on the internet to post all their faults. They DO pay crap, the benefits are as little as they can get away with, and they adhere to the NO STUDENT LEFT BEHIND policy of all pass system.

This is an absolute - I worked at five different cities of the same school name (they used me to open new schools because I play guitar in all my classes) we were NEVER ALLOWED TO FAIL A STUDENT. I had one student who was a blithering idiot, and I had to give him a passing grade for filling in his name (spelled incorrectly!). The answers to his entire midterm exam were either left blank or filled in with hieroglyphics.

I taught anthropology for 23 years in the US but moved to Thailand early this year to teach. So far it has all been a wonderful adventure. A big part of the adventure has been learning Thai culture and adjusting myself to the many differences between Thailand and America. One adjustment has certainly been accepting the no fail grading system. I teach science, math and English at a private secondary school that has a policy of not giving any student lower than a 3.0. At first I was a bit disturbed by this, but the more I have learned about Thai culture and teaching Thai students, the fewer qualms I have about it. Social promotion is very common in American schools, and as a college professor I admit I awarded many "gentleman Cs" over the years. I see the no fail grading policy as just another form of social promotion.

Excuse me? Does that mean that an attack on NNEST( Non native English speaking teachers) seem to be okay for you? Just curious. facepalm.gif

"Native speakers." A native ability or quality is one that you possess naturally without having to learn it. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

No I won't excuse you: don't be so stupid in your personal agendas that you are blinded to your putting of words into the mouths of others.

I could have put this more respectfully but your idiotic line of 3 smilies like dullards overuse exclamation marks has completed your movement in rubbing me up the wrong way. I despise behaviour like yours. Keep your ignorant projections away from me and choose an appropriate target in future for whatever rant you want to go on.

I can assure you, if you want to pick a fight with me on this subject based on something I haven't implied in any way whatsoever, nevermind said, you most certainly will get one and you won't win. I suggest you respond to the points I actually make rather than casting me in some random light of your own making like some frustrated Philipina wench clinging to a government school job. Such is the non-native speaker with an inferiority complex you've now cast yourself as.

What a completely random turd you just threw at me, effectively calling me a racist out of nothing.

I'll be waiting for your response.

"Philipina wench"? Sounds pretty racist to me, not to mention misogynist...

I am amazed at the purile garbage spewed by such a group of losers as in this thread. No wonder foreign teachers are regarded so poorly in Thailand.

Astounding, really...

Archived