No fail grading system.

padkrapow

Whenever this is brought up its always good for a huge laugh. Usually, its frustrated teachers who 20-40 years ago would have been failing themselves. Thus may not be the op, jus sayin...

In the US many, many students are passed thru levels who go on to graduate and are functional illiterates. Why not here? Judging by the genius UK teachers I've taught with only one graduated university, that's about 7%.

So why the stress bro? Education isn't really important to you either.

Further, how, where is this third world education system going to provide remedial services and whose paying? No one ever brings up this gem.

Moreover, I hate blaming the system, I won't, but here I cut some slack. These kids have poor teachers, crap books, one hundred white faces, Filipino and N English accects, 40C heat in the class, poverty, family issues, peer pressures...and you want to shitcan their grade because they did not do X and Y in your class. Hope you have a ton of professional experience to make that assessment. Your tests and teaching, etc...not saying here it was you but maybe in part it was. First year teachers Im lookjng so hard at you. The tefl flunkies.

Why NOT give them the minimum grade I mean you're not a real teacher? You never had a lick of interest in teaching until now. This is just some job that keeps you in Thailand. Pretty disingenuous really.

Thailand wants them to pass. Pass them fools,

Finally, the system allows you to enter a grade of 50%, how much more of a fail do you need to brand on these children dear "teachers"?

Utter tripe from you as usual. Almost nothing you say is intelligent or informed. Your habitual attacks on native speakers teaching in Thailand are disgusting ignorant rants that serve to make things more difficult for everyone else, including the students. Thai education is all the better for every moment you keep your ill-informed mouth shut.

I've been out here for decades, lived and traveled to tens of countries and spoken to ten thousand non native speakers of English. You know who are the worst? Those from Northern England, Scotland, N Ireland and East London. Its not just the pronunciation, its all the atrocious slang that they seem clueless to strip from their speech.

When I listen to these plebs, I honestly have no idea what they are saying half the time and therefore if I have no idea, how possibly can their students?

Its really no why American English is now target language choice from MENA to Korea and all nations in between, including Hong Kong which has forgotten the British entirely.

As for my attacks on native speakers, if the shoe fits...

1. I can think of no English person save one that I have ever worked with that has had a BA. All contractors or on a diy B visa.

2. Most Europeans and even South Africans have a more lovely accent than those from UK I had mentioned. Ouch, sorry.

3. I've always been totally unimpressed with the work ethic, but there are plenty of lazy teachers.

4. I have never understood through other teachers, Thai teachers or students that these persons were good teachers.

5. Government is starting to require background checks on UK individuals. Why? There must be a reason.

At the end of the day, objectively speaking these people are not persons anyone should be modeling their speech on, quite simple really.

Funny, because Thailand throughly does not understand English, it hires these people thinking they are getting a Welsh accent but alas, its just "Brummie". Everything spouted from their mouths is some sort of indecipherable regional slang spoken with with this atrocious tongue. They simply cant help it, no education, no clue.

I'm calling bs on it.

Did you know many English persons also go to English language schools to reduce their insufferable accents so they may obtain employment in greater England? No joke. So why are you in my face about pointing this out?

The lovely accent that used to be known as the Queen's English is now known in the gutter as "posh English" - the plebs berating their own offical, proper langauge. Again - posh...slang. The slang is just absolutely never ending with the lower classes in this country. It spews forth endlessly, they can't even contain it in an office environment even when the office is dedicated to the English language.

Given the general lack of diploma, speech, criminality, drinking issues its only a matter of time before Thailand wakes up.

Yeah, the Visayan Filipino accent is awful and what Asian wants to be taken for a nation commonly referred to as the "sick man of Asia".

Does anyone think that a Thai student speaking with an Cockney, Birmingham, Liverpool or Manchester accent could be a good thing? Ever? Ever? No. Not ever.

"How's the flat you're living in in Sisaket, Jock?" asks his mother when he calls home to Aberdeen.

"It's okay," he replies, "but the woman next door keeps screaming and crying all night and the guy on the other side keeps banging his head on the wall."

"Never you mind," says his mother, "don't you let them get to you, just ignore them."

"Aye, that I do," he says, "I just keep playing my bagpipes."

One two three four five, sex......thumbsup.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I understand is that basically all students will pass ANY test, nobody will ever fail in Thailand!

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I work in a university and I fail students frequently, as do the other lecturers. The standard isn't as high as it should be but it does exist. I don't know about the schools though.

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 5 education systems in the world.

Finland does not give their kids standardized tests.

It is not mandatory to give students grades until they are in the 8th grade.

Finnish schools don't assign homework, because it is assumed that mastery is attained in the classroom. thumbsup.gif

http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-finland-phenomenon-inside-the-worlds-most-surprising-school-system-588.php

Top Education systems

• South Korea
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • Hong Kong
  • Finland

http://www.edudemic.com/learning-curve-report-education/

And how much homework do the top countries give? Ans assessment?

Finland is in the top countries and they don't give any.

I agree with you 100% that Thai students shouldn't be given any homework. Why bother as they're not going to do it anyway. One or two of the smarter kids will do it while the others will just copy it from them, usually during class.

I taught in a government primary (prathom) school for two years teaching grade 5 and 6.

I was never told not to fail any of them, but I suspect, I emphasis the word suspect, that the

Head of the English Department may have altered the marks.

What I understand is that basically all students will pass ANY test, nobody will ever fail in Thailand!

Having taught in both Prathom and Mattiyom schools, I have never been told I must pass all the students.

However, I do know of a fellow Farang teacher who gave a lot of failures, and one of the Thai English teachers made it obvious

she wasn't pleased with him, probably because she would have to correct the failures.

Whenever this is brought up its always good for a huge laugh. Usually, its frustrated teachers who 20-40 years ago would have been failing themselves. Thus may not be the op, jus sayin...

In the US many, many students are passed thru levels who go on to graduate and are functional illiterates. Why not here? Judging by the genius UK teachers I've taught with only one graduated university, that's about 7%.

Further, how, where is this third world education system going to provide remedial services and whose paying? No one ever brings up this gem.

Moreover, I hate blaming the system, I won't, but here I cut some slack. These kids have poor teachers, crap books, one hundred white faces, Filipino and N English accects, 40C heat in the class, poverty, family issues, peer pressures...and you want to shitcan their grade because they did not do X and Y in your class. Hope you have a ton of professional experience to make that assessment. Your tests and teaching, etc...not saying here it was you but maybe in part it was. First year teachers Im lookjng so hard at you. The tefl flunkies.

Why NOT give them the minimum grade I mean you're not a real teacher? You never had a lick of interest in teaching until now. This is just some job that keeps you in Thailand. Pretty disingenuous really.

Finally, the system allows you to enter a grade of 50%, how much more of a fail do you need to brand on these children dear "teachers"?

You were an English teacher???????

Utter tripe from you as usual. Almost nothing you say is intelligent or informed. Your habitual attacks on native speakers teaching in Thailand are disgusting ignorant rants that serve to make things more difficult for everyone else, including the students. Thai education is all the better for every moment you keep your ill-informed mouth shut.

I've been out here for decades, lived and traveled to tens of countries and spoken to ten thousand non native speakers of English. You know who are the worst? Those from Northern England, Scotland, N Ireland and East London. Its not just the pronunciation, its all the atrocious slang that they seem clueless to strip from their speech.

When I listen to these plebs, I honestly have no idea what they are saying half the time and therefore if I have no idea, how possibly can their students?

Its really no why American English is now target language choice from MENA to Korea and all nations in between, including Hong Kong which has forgotten the British entirely.

1. I can think of no English person save one that I have ever worked with that has had a BA. All contractors or on a diy B visa.

2. Most Europeans and even South Africans have a more lovely accent than those from UK I had mentioned. Ouch, sorry.

3. I've always been totally unimpressed with the work ethic, but there are plenty of lazy teachers.

4. I have never understood through other teachers, Thai teachers or students that these persons were good teachers.

5. Government is starting to require background checks on UK individuals. Why? There must be a reason.

At the end of the day, objectively speaking these people are not persons anyone should be modeling their speech on, quite simple really.

Funny, because Thailand throughly does not understand English, it hires these people thinking they are getting a Welsh accent but alas, its just "Brummie". Everything spouted from their mouths is some sort of indecipherable regional slang spoken with with this atrocious tongue. They simply cant help it, no education, no clue.

I'm calling bs on it.

Did you know many English persons also go to English language schools to reduce their insufferable accents so they may obtain employment in greater England? No joke. So why are you in my face about pointing this out?

The lovely accent that used to be known as the Queen's English is now known in the gutter as "posh English" - the plebs berating their own offical, proper langauge. Again - posh...slang. The slang is just absolutely never ending with the lower classes in this country. It spews forth endlessly, they can't even contain it in an office environment even when the office is dedicated to the English language.

Given the general lack of diploma, speech, criminality, drinking issues its only a matter of time before Thailand wakes up.

Yeah, the Visayan Filipino accent is awful and what Asian wants to be taken for a nation commonly referred to as the "sick man of Asia".

Does anyone think that a Thai student speaking with an Cockney, Birmingham, Liverpool or Manchester accent could be a good thing? Ever? Ever? No. Not ever.

I will just say one thing, I am Scottish, when I spoke in the classroom, I did not speak the same way as I would when I was with my Farang mates.

I spoke very slowly and clearly, and I suspect that most of the British teachers did the same.

Here is the answer I got a few years ago,

"If you are a good teacher you will teach the students who failed until they can understand and pass."

Loved all the innuendos...

1. Work for free on your own free time to explain things to kids who just don't care.

2. Do like the Thai teachers and just give them a passing mark.

Some of them would never be able to understand and pass, and even if they did, the teachers contract would be up by then.

It's amusing and astonishing to see teachers in this discussion thread berating each other. The amusement comes from observing the typographical errors, misspellings, grammar and outright ignorance of logical argument. The astonishment comes from the loss of focus on the welfare of the children you are allegedly teaching.

Call yourselves teachers? Pig's arse. You are teaching here because you wouldn't make the grade in any Western country.

I have got to admit that this is true, because Thailand will not pay enough for good qualified English teachers.

A repost of mine:

There are basically two types of schools in Thailand (and I've worked at both): those that follow the rules and those that don't. The ones that follow the rules are GENERALLY international schools. They pay relatively well, they have decent benefits, and most importantly THEY WILL FAIL STUDENTS WHO DON'T PERFORM.

Those that DON'T follow the rules will hire just about anybody. I won't go into details, there's not enough room on the internet to post all their faults. They DO pay crap, the benefits are as little as they can get away with, and they adhere to the NO STUDENT LEFT BEHIND policy of all pass system.

This is an absolute - I worked at five different cities of the same school name (they used me to open new schools because I play guitar in all my classes) we were NEVER ALLOWED TO FAIL A STUDENT. I had one student who was a blithering idiot, and I had to give him a passing grade for filling in his name (spelled incorrectly!). The answers to his entire midterm exam were either left blank or filled in with hieroglyphics.

This is a very good post, and so true. I had some students, all boys I might add, giving me completely blank exam papers.

I just passed them on to the Head of the English Department. No prizes for guessing where they ended up.

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 3 education systems in the world.

Finnish schools don't assign homework, because it is assumed that mastery is attained in the classroom. thumbsup.gif

http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-finland-phenomenon-inside-the-worlds-most-surprising-school-system-588.php

Thought this is the Thai Visa Forum? Sorry, logged into the wrong forum. My mistake.

No problem. I'm used to teachers with low reading skills. The topic is no fail grading system and a sucessful example of no fail grading in fact no grading at all is Finland. wai.gif Thailand could learn a lot from Finland as they went from a poor to a great education system and one of the tools used was eliminating grading.

You might be used to women with low loving you skills. I think I've got you on that. Psychology is my favorite one. But don't worry, you're not alone.

I'm calling bs on it.

When I meet and talk with fellow Brits they often ask where I'm from because I have no easily recognisable accent. It's because I was born in a small village of 500 people in rural Warwickshire, not too far, but far enough not to have a Brummie/Coventry accent. I believe the village is now deserted because all the former residents have gone away to teach in the 'no accent' schools you feel are so necessary for the 'ideal (no accent) teaching posts abroad!

I never, ever wanted to be a teacher, and after reading some of the posts in this thread, I think I made the right decision.

Actually, I worked for a financial institution for many years, and was heavily involved in arranging loans to all all and sundry. When discussing work issues with colleagues, we always agreed that our least favourite customers were teachers, because more often than not they talked down to us as if we were in their classroom instead of our office. I see it's the same on TVF!

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 3 education systems in the world.

Thought this is the Thai Visa Forum? Sorry, logged into the wrong forum. My mistake.

No problem. I'm used to teachers with low reading skills. The topic is no fail grading system and a sucessful example of no fail grading in fact no grading at all is Finland. wai.gif Thailand could learn a lot from Finland as they went from a poor to a great education system and one of the tools used was eliminating grading.

You might be used to women with low loving you skills. I think I've got you on that. Psychology is my favorite one. But don't worry, you're not alone.

No, your flame, however funny is not accurate. I taught on a college level in Thailand and encountered many future teachers with low reading skills. Grading students in the primary grades in good school systems like Finland is a thing of the past. You might want to look into the merits of improving education and try to help your students get better.

I don't know; are you a professional teacher or a backpacking person here for a few months?

The OP brings up an interesting point. Most advanced educators decided long ago that grades were counterproductive to learning but the OP has not figured this out or maybe never knew or maybe never took a decent education course to get a decent education degree.

In any event it is an interesting topic for those of us who have been exposed to adcanced education theory and practice. It would be nice to discuss it without all of the insults.

It's amusing and astonishing to see teachers in this discussion thread berating each other. The amusement comes from observing the typographical errors, misspellings, grammar and outright ignorance of logical argument. The astonishment comes from the loss of focus on the welfare of the children you are allegedly teaching.

Call yourselves teachers? Pig's arse. You are teaching here because you wouldn't make the grade in any Western country.

Too right Bazza. Teaching brings in enough for the grog and the occasional root.

The attitude seems to be Native English Speaking teachers up front, but in reality it seems to be more English Speakers teaching natives. Gotta love the old country and the colonial attitudes that still prevail.

I have taught many apprentices over the years and if they didn't learn that was my fault as a poor teacher. I had to adjust to their needs to ensure that eventually they did learn and I'm quite proud of that. I never had a failure.

I also find it very funny that this particular group of employees carry on like bantam roosters when the reality is they earn maybe 30 to 40,000 baht a month. Wow they've really hit the big time.

Excuse me? Does that mean that an attack on NNEST( Non native English speaking teachers) seem to be okay for you? Just curious. facepalm.gif

"Native speakers." A native ability or quality is one that you possess naturally without having to learn it. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

No I won't excuse you: don't be so stupid in your personal agendas that you are blinded to your putting of words into the mouths of others.

I could have put this more respectfully but your idiotic line of 3 smilies like dullards overuse exclamation marks has completed your movement in rubbing me up the wrong way. I despise behaviour like yours. Keep your ignorant projections away from me and choose an appropriate target in future for whatever rant you want to go on.

I can assure you, if you want to pick a fight with me on this subject based on something I haven't implied in any way whatsoever, nevermind said, you most certainly will get one and you won't win. I suggest you respond to the points I actually make rather than casting me in some random light of your own making like some frustrated Philipina wench clinging to a government school job. Such is the non-native speaker with an inferiority complex you've now cast yourself as.

What a completely random turd you just threw at me, effectively calling me a racist out of nothing.

I'll be waiting for your response.

"Philipina wench"? Sounds pretty racist to me, not to mention misogynist...

I am amazed at the purile garbage spewed by such a group of losers as in this thread. No wonder foreign teachers are regarded so poorly in Thailand.

Astounding, really...

I'd say you're just another anonymous keyboard warrior looking for potshots who doesn't know the teaching scene here. Do a search on ajarn forum for Philipinna English teachers and you'll find I was using a known cliche to mirror lostinisaan's bizarre outburst towards me. There's no reason why I should stand for being abused like that from one who inserts his own agenda thus:

"Does that mean that an attack on NNEST( Non native English speaking teachers) seem to be okay for you?"

I shall not treat him with any more respect than I percieve he treated me, so he got flamed like he deserves.

Now, you choose nasty language too, to portray our posts as "spewed" and to name call us as "losers". In my defence I was responding to a completely unwarranted attack, you have no defence. Purile huh? You're a typical internet hypocrite calling people names after that content-free rant of yours where you join the throng of ignorant mouths beating down with generalizations about people, many of whom have tried to do the best they can for the students in an horrendous situation.

People like you and the crazy drunken OP do nothing to help that situation at all.

You are wrong, so I correct you as requested. I have given my share of F's. But then, I teach at universities and don't know what is happening at primary and secondary schools. But your generalisation still remains wrong.

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 5 education systems in the world.

Top Education systems

• South Korea
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • Hong Kong
  • Finland

I'd love not to give grades. But this is an idea that is very difficult to realise: It means teachers have to motivate students to learn, to make them interested in their subject. This is much more difficult than to rattle down your stuff and then just grade the final exams. I always try to make my classes as interesting as possible and encourage them to participate - ask questions. You cannot learn if you don't ask questions, as every educator knows. If the students ask questions, the likelihood that they fail that class is very small.

Top Education systems

• South Korea
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • Hong Kong
  • Finland

I'd love not to give grades. But this is an idea that is very difficult to realise: It means teachers have to motivate students to learn, to make them interested in their subject. This is much more difficult than to rattle down your stuff and then just grade the final exams. I always try to make my classes as interesting as possible and encourage them to participate - ask questions. You cannot learn if you don't ask questions, as every educator knows. If the students ask questions, the likelihood that they fail that class is very small.

I got fired from a teaching job in the USA because I gave all of my students A's. It was in the 1960's. I was ahead of my time. Now it's quite common.

Top Education systems

1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland

for 15 y.o for the countries mentioned, average weekly homework, in hours, is as follows:

South Korea 2.9

Japan 3.8

Surely it is an advantage to expose learners to the many varieties of English? It would be irresponsible not to....

This is what they'll encounter in the real world.

Why are people talking as if there is one Scottish accent - the natives of Glasgow and Edinburgh live less than 50 miles from each other yet speak with starkly different and immediately recognisable accents. Somebody mentioned a yarn about an Aberdonian piper - Aberdonians don't speak English like that, to be honest I find all that 'phit like quinie?' a bit hard to understand myself. Yet about 100 miles east in the fine city of Inverness, the capital of the Scottish Highlands, the folk are reputed to speak the purest form of English.

Your accent has nothing whatsoever to do with your ability to teach, likewise your academic credentials.

Man why am I even bothering. I am on holiday. I have a three week break. And Scotland v South Africa in the Rugby World Cup from Newcastle is on live - I'm going to get a life!

Top Education systems

1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland

Maybe if they gave standardized tests and homework, they could finish higher than fifth since countries 1 to 4 give out homework.

You are wrong, so I correct you as requested. I have given my share of F's. But then, I teach at universities and don't know what is happening at primary and secondary schools. But your generalisation still remains wrong.

Thanks for the update, so basically students at your University will fail if they don't pass the exams?

A post has been removed:

While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, l33tspeak, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.

50% was the lowest grade I ever gave, but I told the students before hand this is a fail in my grading system. Some were still very happy with their 50%.

I don't think it was fair of you to say that to them.

Well I did.

50% was the lowest grade I ever gave, but I told the students before hand this is a fail in my grading system. Some were still very happy with their 50%.

I don't think it was fair of you to say that to them.

Well I did.

Well don't do it again.

what is good for the goose is good for the gander. look at it like crime reenactments. you just do it. as long as the children do the wai, wear their uniform every day and hand in homework and tests.. why give different scores? not only do students get easy passes, folks who want to be a teacher also get an easy pass.. if you adore the students, and set a good example of someone who goes along with everything... that's great!

Archived