No fail grading system.

padkrapow

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2015 at 6:02 AM, lostoday said:

For all you experts. Finland is in the top 1 to 5 education systems in the world.

Finland does not give their kids standardized tests.

It is not mandatory to give students grades until they are in the 8th grade.

Finnish schools don't assign homework, because it is assumed that mastery is attained in the classroom. thumbsup.gif

http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-finland-phenomenon-inside-the-worlds-most-surprising-school-system-588.php

Top Education systems

1. South Korea
  2. Japan
  3. Singapore
  4. Hong Kong
  5. Finland

http://www.edudemic.com/learning-curve-report-education/

I read some of your posts. I'm sort of out of the education game here but what you're saying makes a ton of sense to me. If I think about why children were historically given tons of homework, it's more about adults and the fact that they want their kids occupied. Same with school hours, keep them there as long as possible. I think as a society we're very good at sort of masking the actual truth as to why certain policies come about. Rationalize them even: oh yes they really do need all that homework. Kids just get sick to death of school. I believe starting later, leaving earlier, less homework, less grade pressure would all produce better education systems. Yet unfortunately that's not what is important to us, even though we tell ourselves otherwise. I am speaking about the US here. 

On 2/16/2017 at 10:43 AM, manarak said:

this one:

" The truth is that it  is  aimed to ensure that only the  currently wealthy or the  incredibly  lucky acquire the  decreasing  number of  necessarily  qualified occupations  due to  computerization and automation. "

Please note that I 90%  agree with what you say on the effects, but I do not agree that such effects are the deliberate goals of a planned policy by the elites (3 necessary elements).

I rather think such effects are the natural consequence of a failing system, where dumbing down is the only solution seen by egalitarists to ease things for both students and teachers.

It's the same as the effects of high taxes in France and other countries - they were thought to redistribute wealth, but the effect was to increase wealth disparities.

As  you say: the effects of  high taxes were thought to redistribute  wealth but....

An applied  policy.

The policy applied overall to  standards in  education   uses  a similar application.

The  rhetoric of justification exactly the same.

As with  many tax  "reforms" the advantage  almost invariably favours  the  wealthy.

The problem  with the   "effect" in the  question of education is that it ignores  the greater problem of  what is  happening  to the redundant generation. 

A  common converse comment puts  the cause  on  the uneducated as if it  is  self inflicted !

When it comes  to  left or right it generally the  same because it is on  political party affiliation rather than policy differentiation which mostly cites "human rights "  or other wholistic "social inclusions" as justification rather than  agenda. 

I agree wholeheartedly: pronunciation is the hardest part to get right for me

I speak with RP pronunciation (Oxford English), but I had to change one aspect of my pronunciation concerning the 'bath' set.  I was brought up to say 'barth' and 'glarss' etc. That sometimes causes confusion with my students who all seem to have been taught to say 'bath' and 'glass'.

So for my younger students, I 'force' myself not to say 'barth', and for my older students, I don't change my pronunciation, but explain the 'bath' set to them!

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I speak with RP pronunciation (Oxford English), but I had to change one aspect of my pronunciation concerning the 'bath' set.  I was brought up to say 'barth' and 'glarss' etc. That sometimes causes confusion with my students who all seem to have been taught to say 'bath' and 'glass'.

So for my younger students, I 'force' myself not to say 'barth', and for my older students, I don't change my pronunciation, but explain the 'bath' set to them!

I think I understand your  comment. How  do you  cope with bathe? And  what will you do  with  bark , barque or  Bach? :stoner:

Archived