bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Chiengmaijoe can drive past and gather the info, I am sure the BIB can do the same as part of their job. Chiengmaijoe is just making an observation which anyone could also do with half an eye open.

But he mentioned "looking behind the scenes", not just driving by, as the Police do

If Chiengmaijoe can drive past and gather the info, I am sure the BIB can do the same as part of their job. Chiengmaijoe is just making an observation which anyone could also do with half an eye open.

But he mentioned "looking behind the scenes", not just driving by, as the Police do

You really do have your finger on the pulse. Well done. You're naturally funny too.

You really do have your finger on the pulse. Well done. You're naturally funny too.

If keeping quiet about places that stay open on the quiet and not naming them on a public forum is to be having "ones finger on the pulse" . then yes , I do

If keeping quiet about places that stay open on the quiet and not naming them on a public forum is to be having "ones finger on the pulse" . then yes , I do

Clueless, more-like. But funny, too. I'll bet I'm not the only one having a little chuckle. Keep 'em coming, as they say.

OK we can differ on opinion.

In my opinion I feel that its not a good idea to name bars that stay open late illegally, where as you think that its a good idea.

Lets leave it at that .

My regular place stays open until sunlight , as I want to keep it that way, I shall not name the place on a public forum

This raises an interesting ethical question. If you know that someone is doing something illegal (whether or not you are participating), is it your civic duty to report this behavior?

If you knew someone was in Thailand illegally, having snuck across the border with Cambodia and is working illegally teaching English to children, would you feel compelled to report this?

If you knew someone was making fake passports, would you report this?

If you knew a company was illegally dumping construction debris in your neighborhood, would you go to the police?

Where do you draw the line? Because you are benefiting from a shop's illegal activity, does that mean you are absolved from notifying the authorities?

This raises an interesting ethical question. If you know that someone is doing something illegal (whether or not you are participating), is it your civic duty to report this behavior?

If you knew someone was in Thailand illegally, having snuck across the border with Cambodia and is working illegally teaching English to children, would you feel compelled to report this?

If you knew a company was illegally dumping construction debris in your neighborhood, would you go to the police?

Where do you draw the line? Because you are benefiting from a shop's illegal activity, does that mean you are absolved from notifying the authorities?

It's certainly a slippery slope, isn't it? There are quite a few farangs in Thailand (and on TV) who will preach and preach about "rule of law" and "corruption" and the western sense of fairness and integrity. Yet, if they had a friend doing something unethical, or if they disagree with a law, or if they're benefiting for just being a farang, then their "unshakable" sense of ethics goes out the window. Funny that.

It's certainly a slippery slope, isn't it? There are quite a few farangs in Thailand (and on TV) who will preach and preach about "rule of law" and "corruption" and the western sense of fairness and integrity. Yet, if they had a friend doing something unethical, or if they disagree with a law, or if they're benefiting for just being a farang, then their "unshakable" sense of ethics goes out the window. Funny that.

I expect that most felangs in Thailand would react in Thailand exactly the same way they would do back home .

And yet how many long termers have got to the point where when pulled over the BIB and clearly in the wrong (no helmet etc) actually initiate the on the spot "fine" payment before the BIB even suggests it (as a simple cost of operating and no desire to waste time going to station). Makes it difficult to complain about BIB corruption when so many pay on the spot, and are happ(ier) to do so than go the station.

And yet how many long termers have got to the point where when pulled over the BIB and clearly in the wrong (no helmet etc) actually initiate the on the spot "fine" payment before the BIB even suggests it (as a simple cost of operating and no desire to waste time going to station). Makes it difficult to complain about BIB corruption when so many pay on the spot, and are happ(ier) to do so than go the station.

And many would gladly do the same back home

Depends if it was a law beneficial to most people or a BS law enforced by an agency with no understanding of 'public service'.

For what it's worth:

Earlier this week I spoke with a Thai friend who works at a bar atop Maya, he told me they are now closing at 1am as the police are slightly more lenient. Good news I guess...at this rate closing times will be back to normal around 2019 blink.png

I drove past President Hotel last night, which used to house Fabrique, and it was strange to see it deserted at just after midnight. i can only assume they have closed. I noticed the police at Spicey, but whether or not they were closing it or collecting donations, I don't know. What is known as Jacky's van , next door has now got a net hiding it from the street, but a peek behind reveals that they are open. I also noticed a bar that was openly open in Moon Muang Soi 2 at about 1am a week or so ago. So, some relaxation, in that area, but not much.

Fabrique has been closed for months for 'renovations', and I don't blame them. It was one of my favourite late night clubs, but in the current environment, likely not financially viable.

"Duty".. that's not a concept I relate to. Morals: sure. Consequences of one's actions: also sure. But 'duty'.. . drawing a blank here.

No. Not just based on this by itself.

> If you knew someone was making fake passports, would you report this?

Maybe. A passport in itself is a document that facilitates government control of people, and separating people based on lines on a map. Then again, fake passports aren't used by people just because they want to go on a holiday, but potentially for harmful activities. So I might report it.

> If you knew a company was illegally dumping construction debris in your neighborhood, would you go to the police?

Yes I would. That harms the neighborhood and the environment.

> Where do you draw the line? Because you are benefiting from a shop's illegal activity,

> does that mean you are absolved from notifying the authorities?

I go by my own morals. An activity that isn't harmful to me or anyone else is not really a concern.

For what it's worth:

Earlier this week I spoke with a Thai friend who works at a bar atop Maya, he told me they are now closing at 1am as the police are slightly more lenient. Good news I guess...at this rate closing times will be back to normal around 2019 blink.png

It hasn't chuffed all the residents in the area from what I hear.

The music rather carries from the rooftop by all accounts.

^^

I wouldn't report anyone to anyone about anything.

I've learnt to keep my nose out of other people's business.

And so you dont complain or get pissed off when things dont turn out as you expected them too? I have absolutely no problem at all in reporting those that have zero understanding or acknowledgement of common decency society accepted laws.

Or to put in in other words....Im not a dead fish and wont go with the flow. If something is not right then I tend not to turn a blind eye to it. Or as we were taught in the military.... to let a crime go unpunished is to have done the crime yourself.

.....maybe that means in order to live in a civilised society that sometimes you need to grow some balls and defend/stand up for what you believe is proper.

But then this is only but my opinion....one in which Im happy to defend

For what it's worth:

It hasn't chuffed all the residents in the area from what I hear.

The music rather carries from the rooftop by all accounts.

maya is still going well past 2am.must have a micky mouse watch your mate

^^

I wouldn't report anyone to anyone about anything.

I've learnt to keep my nose out of other people's business.

And so you dont complain or get pissed off when things dont turn out as you expected them too? I have absolutely no problem at all in reporting those that have zero understanding or acknowledgement of common decency society accepted laws.

Or to put in in other words....Im not a dead fish and wont go with the flow. If something is not right then I tend not to turn a blind eye to it. Or as we were taught in the military.... to let a crime go unpunished is to have done the crime yourself.

.....maybe that means in order to live in a civilised society that sometimes you need to grow some balls and defend/stand up for what you believe is proper.

But then this is only but my opinion....one in which Im happy to defend

Considering I’m not even a citizen of Thailand and unlikely ever will be, I prefer to stay out of things unless it becomes personal to me and my problem. It’s just that I want to live long and prosper and not get scoped up with other people’s piles of s**t in matters that don’t concern me.

Declaring war on immorality and opposing it in Thailand will not win me favour at immigration or give me any special privileges over and above all the other Farlangs with the Thais in general and why I would never stick my nose out or give a darn. People that do are sanctimonious fools.

I figure in reality - everyone would report certain crimes and everyone would let others go. If you're going to start reporting traffic violations, for example, in Chiang Mai - you're going to have very little time left to say brush your teeth or dress yourself. However, walking away when witnessing a murder of an innocent would take a certain meanness of spirit too.

Grassing up bars for failing to keep a curfew imposed by a distant authority without their consent seems to fall in the traffic violations category; it's petty and mean spirited rather than morally virtuous. If you don't like bars being open while you're sleeping; do what I do and don't live near any bars. I picked my home location because while everything is a short tuktuk ride away - nothing is on the doorstep and it's also not on the flight path from the airport. It's really not hard to do that and it saves whining and pettiness later on down the track.

Sanctimonious fools huh? I must add that to my CV.....

However you do raise some good points and I understand your personal reasoning behind them. Its not as if I go looking for trouble or hunting for law breakers, but if its in my face then (And its a personal thing) I feel it correct to do something about it.

A discussion could go on for ages about if one should or shouldnt get involved. Culture and upbringing vary greatly from one country to another...and perhaps that what shapes who we are and how secure/advanced society is.

Maybe these are just Western values? Why have any laws at all? And whats the point having laws/rules if they are not enforced? I dont need replies to these questions as I already know the answers (As would most educated people).

Its not about sticking ones nose out, nor is it to attain special priviledges. But as I mentioned before, to do nothing is just as bad as the crime itself. IMO

Generally speaking in Thailand have learnt to keep out others affairs. Unless it is something directly affecting me it can be best to turn a blind eye. Thailand is not the best place in the world to take the stance of being an Ethical warrior.

If were talking someone harming another then yes of course one would step in and help. However something like another bending a law; unless I had good reason to always best to keep out. Won't get any favors from immigration and would alienate yourself in the farang community.

Oxide Pub are doing a promotion,

Singha Light .... 3 large for 144bht.

This week only.

https://www.facebook.com/OxidePubChiangmai/?fref=nf

Or opposite in T-bar,

Tiger Beer ....... 3 large for 150bht.

Better still, The Smith Residence, 3 large cans of Chang @135 baht. Chilled well, glasses in the freezer, no problems driving home....

This week only.

Or opposite in T-bar,

Better still, The Smith Residence, 3 large cans of Chang @135 baht. Chilled well, glasses in the freezer, no problems driving home....

We'll all be round ...... but you have to serve the beer wearing hot pants or a beer dress.

This week only.

Or opposite in T-bar,

We'll all be round ...... but you have to serve the beer wearing hot pants or a beer dress.

Sorry mate, only got a Sloggi thumbsup.gif

Archived