bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

*BUMP*

Hi All!

One last update 2 weeks before heading for Chiang Mai? Did anything change regarding bar/club closing time? Anything open after 2? We'll be there during Songkran, does that change anything?

Warm up?

Spicy?

Zoe?

Infinity?

Fabrique îs closed?

Thanks for all the helping informaiton given in this thread during the last few months. Can't wait to set foot in CM.

Cheers

If you look you can probably find a quiet lock-in at a small bar, but if you're looking for a serious party place after 1 a.m., I know of nothing. I don't know if the rules will be relaxed for Songkran.

Thanks ! They'll hopefully be more relaxed for SongKran... If not, we'll wander around and try our luck!

Few years ago Fabrique and Spicy were open until 4... But looks like this was the golden age.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

*BUMP*

Hi All!

One last update 2 weeks before heading for Chiang Mai? Did anything change regarding bar/club closing time? Anything open after 2? We'll be there during Songkran, does that change anything?

Warm up?

Spicy?

Zoe?

Infinity?

Fabrique îs closed?

Thanks for all the helping informaiton given in this thread during the last few months. Can't wait to set foot in CM.

Cheers

If you look you can probably find a quiet lock-in at a small bar, but if you're looking for a serious party place after 1 a.m., I know of nothing. I don't know if the rules will be relaxed for Songkran.

Thanks ! They'll hopefully be more relaxed for SongKran... If not, we'll wander around and try our luck!

Few years ago Fabrique and Spicy were open until 4... But looks like this was the golden age.

Did they relax the rules for Songkran? How depressing, Spicy closed at 1am??

CM has a population of about 1 million....

Chiang Mai province has a population of about 1.7 million. Chiang Mai Metropolitan around 1 million, which includes the connecting districts, Chiang Mai city under 400k. Need to be more specific when quoting population of places in Thailand. smile.png

Not sure what it has to do with bar closing times though.

With the possible exception of Warm-Up, bars on Nimmanhamin stop serving by midnight. Some will allow people to buy up to midnight and stick around a little while after to finish them. I haven't checked out the sois for a while, maybe they're quietly pushing the limits.

Speaking of soi bars, does anyone know the status of the new Blar Blar? According to true blue they were going to re-open somewhere near tawan dang, but I haven't seen anything in the soi 6 area that looks promising.

With the possible exception of Warm-Up, bars on Nimmanhamin stop serving by midnight. Some will allow people to buy up to midnight and stick around a little while after to finish them. I haven't checked out the sois for a while, maybe they're quietly pushing the limits.

Speaking of soi bars, does anyone know the status of the new Blar Blar? According to true blue they were going to re-open somewhere near tawan dang, but I haven't seen anything in the soi 6 area that looks promising.

started building on the old blar blar bar Site, think boss said it was going to be a up market restaurant????

Chiang Mai province has a population of about 1.7 million. Chiang Mai Metropolitan around 1 million, which includes the connecting districts, Chiang Mai city under 400k. Need to be more specific when quoting population of places in Thailand. smile.png

Why has CM been selected for early closing ? In other parts of the country, according to friends, 2am seems the average.

Is this some sort of punishment ? Doesn't effect my life but younger European tourists are here to enjoy their holiday, not to be told ta 11.30pm "last drinks" I doubt they will be back.

Why has CM been selected for early closing ? In other parts of the country, according to friends, 2am seems the average.

According to the law, alcohol beverages can only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 am every day, with the exception of international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues.

So the question should be why the law is not enforced everywhere. Some places are likely registered as entertainment venues/zones where others “support” the local authorities to get more lax enforcement.

I don’t think the authorities really care about young Europeans who wants to party after midnight, in fact, I am quite sure that their ideal tourist is not the young European backpacker who comes here to party.

started building on the old blar blar bar Site, think boss said it was going to be a up market restaurant????

Best of luck to him if he thinks that will work, but I'm not really interested in an up market restaurant. I'd like something like the old Blar Blar. Do you know if anything is planned for the soi 6 area?

According to the law, alcohol beverages can only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 am every day, with the exception of international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues.

So the question should be why the law is not enforced everywhere. Some places are likely registered as entertainment venues/zones where others “support” the local authorities to get more lax enforcement.

I don’t think the authorities really care about young Europeans who wants to party after midnight, in fact, I am quite sure that their ideal tourist is not the young European backpacker who comes here to party.

I'm under the impression that there are laws against almost everything in Thailand. What matters is when and how these laws are enforced.

Chiang Mai seems to be getting much more rigorous enforcement than the rest of the country. In absence of a credible reason, people tend to speculate that it has to do with vindictive attitudes in Bangkok.

Agreed Beer Lab, Beer republic.. Etc etc... 11:55 and its last orders.. If that..

Loy Kroh is pushing that extra 30 - 45 minutes, but its still a by the minute thing and ready for fast shutters to come down.

Is this some sort of punishment ? Doesn't effect my life but younger European tourists are here to enjoy their holiday, not to be told ta 11.30pm "last drinks" I doubt they will be back.

The losing end of color coded politics..

To think otherwise is naive..

Well it seems their ideal tourist isn't a Chinese tourist who's prepaid and eats and drinks in the hotel either.

Perhaps their ideal tourist is not going to come in big numbers just because they try and overcharge Chinese tourists and close bars early.

You can't have it both ways: If you want people going outside their hotels, don't close the nightlife down you dimwits.

Chiang Mai seems to be getting much more rigorous enforcement than the rest of the country. In absence of a credible reason, people tend to speculate that it has to do with vindictive attitudes in Bangkok.

There might be something to it, but at the same time, it’s funny in a tragic kind of way that enforcing the law in Thailand makes people think that there is foul play going on. Should be the other way around.

Perhaps their ideal tourist is not going to come in big numbers just because they try and overcharge Chinese tourists and close bars early.

I am sure different people in the government have different ideas about what the ideal tourist is, but if you look at the benefits of the Thailand Elite program, it’s golf, spas, and discounts at upscale shopping malls, not discount coupons for the local bars.

If you look at the price of the better resorts and hotels, many have a starting price of 10-20,000 baht/day and 30-50,000 baht/day accommodation is certainly not a rarity.

This segment vastly outspend the bus filled with Chinese tourists or the group of backpackers, and they are rarely a hassle for their surroundings.

So my money would be on this segment being what Thailand would prefer to attract.

I am sure different people in the government have different ideas about what the ideal tourist is, but if you look at the benefits of the Thailand Elite program, it’s golf, spas, and discounts at upscale shopping malls, not discount coupons for the local bars.

If you look at the price of the better resorts and hotels, many have a starting price of 10-20,000 baht/day and 30-50,000 baht/day accommodation is certainly not a rarity.

This segment vastly outspend the bus filled with Chinese tourists or the group of backpackers, and they are rarely a hassle for their surroundings.

So my money would be on this segment being what Thailand would prefer to attract.

And the amount this benefits small Thai businesses is sod all.

But it's great for the crooked "officials" who own the upmarket resorts and hotels.

But it's great for the crooked "officials" who own the upmarket resorts and hotels.

I agree. I like the small places where the staff will BS with me, work permitting, and the owner checks to see if everything is OK. They're the ones getting killed in the "new and improved" Thailand. With them go a lot of jobs--small businesses employ a lot more people than the high end places in Thailand.

I agree. I like the small places where the staff will BS with me, work permitting, and the owner checks to see if everything is OK. They're the ones getting killed in the "new and improved" Thailand. With them go a lot of jobs--small businesses employ a lot more people than the high end places in Thailand.

I myself have no need for them. How ever it does burn my but to see Thailand trying to price itself out of the average families budget for touring. There are many families that would come to Thailand if there was more modestly priced resorts and in the city's modestly priced places for them to seek entertainment or just a conversation.

Small business like the massage parlours which do not pay their staff any salary versus the “upscale” spas that do?

Another example is the last restaurant I ate at, the waitress’s salary was 17,000 baht/month which is probably twice of what a waitress typically get in a budget tourist restaurant. So does the budget restaurant hire twice as many waitresses? On the contrary, it is the upscale place that hires more waitstaff because each servant gets assigned less tables.

I’m not a proponent of trickle down economics, and I don’t doubt that the business owner sees the lion’s share of the extra money spent, but the upscale places do generally pay their staff better, and with Thai salaries being what they are, this is something I am very happy to support.

Small business like the massage parlours which do not pay their staff any salary versus the “upscale” spas that do?

Another example is the last restaurant I ate at, the waitress’s salary was 17,000 baht/month which is probably twice of what a waitress typically get in a budget tourist restaurant. So does the budget restaurant hire twice as many waitresses? On the contrary, it is the upscale place that hires more waitstaff because each servant gets assigned less tables.

I’m not a proponent of trickle down economics, and I don’t doubt that the business owner sees the lion’s share of the extra money spent, but the upscale places do generally pay their staff better, and with Thai salaries being what they are, this is something I am very happy to support.

Small businesses that, collectively, hire far more people than the upscale places, and that give jobs to college students and people without degrees. How many of these upscale places are going to give jobs to the massage parlor staff that you are concerned about?

I have no problem with Thailand attracting big spenders to support high end resorts. I have a problem with a government that makes life difficult for small businesses and that scares off the tourists that can't afford or don't wish to be insulated/isolated in high end resorts.

How many of these upscale places are going to give jobs to the massage parlor staff that you are concerned about?

In Chiang Mai, I have met people in their twenties who were unable to read and write (Thai people, not Burmese migrant workers), that is a big failing.

The massage parlor staff which work without a base salary is possible partly because of this.

So to me, I do not at all see it as a goal (for Thailand) to keep these jobs around, rather, the goal should be to make these low-wage (or no-wage) jobs a thing of the past.

There are undoubtedly many opinions as to how the system can be improved, but everywhere I look, I see things being underfunded. Now, corruption and incompetence is likely to play a role, but lack of funds is undoubtedly also a big part of it, and to get more funds, you need more taxes, and for more taxes, you need people to have proper salaries and/or businesses with good revenue.

I would not be surprised if a place like Dhara Dhevi, 137 Pillars, Four Seasons, Tamarind Village, or any of the many other high-end resorts in Chiang Mai contribute more in taxes than all the bars and massage parlours on Loi Kroh Road combined.

How many of these upscale places are going to give jobs to the massage parlor staff that you are concerned about?

In Chiang Mai, I have met people in their twenties who were unable to read and write (Thai people, not Burmese migrant workers), that is a big failing.

The massage parlor staff which work without a base salary is possible partly because of this.

So to me, I do not at all see it as a goal (for Thailand) to keep these jobs around, rather, the goal should be to make these low-wage (or no-wage) jobs a thing of the past.

There are undoubtedly many opinions as to how the system can be improved, but everywhere I look, I see things being underfunded. Now, corruption and incompetence is likely to play a role, but lack of funds is undoubtedly also a big part of it, and to get more funds, you need more taxes, and for more taxes, you need people to have proper salaries and/or businesses with good revenue.

I would not be surprised if a place like Dhara Dhevi, 137 Pillars, Four Seasons, Tamarind Village, or any of the many other high-end resorts in Chiang Mai contribute more in taxes than all the bars and massage parlours on Loi Kroh Road combined.

"So to me, I do not at all see it as a goal (for Thailand) to keep these jobs around, rather, the goal should be to make these low-wage (or no-wage) jobs a thing of the past."

I hope you are dodging the issue of employment for people without degrees. Are you suggesting the the jobs they currently hold be eliminated? If so, what do you propose doing with the people holding them? They need to eat now, they can't wait for some hoped for future with better education and job options.

Regarding taxes, forget it. Bangkok keeps them, or they kept 72% of them in 2012 http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2012/05/10/thailand-public-finance-management-review-report . According to The Economist, that's a significant improvement over 2000, when Bangkok kept 90% of taxes.

If the draft constitution is approved, you can forget about better education as well. Free education will end at age 15 http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1458044056&typecate=06&section= , meaning more Thais without degrees. Do you think encouraging high-end tourists (what is this encouragement and how many high-end tourists has it brought in?) is going to improve this sad state of affairs?

Small business like the massage parlours which do not pay their staff any salary versus the upscale spas that do?

Another example is the last restaurant I ate at, the waitresss salary was 17,000 baht/month which is probably twice of what a waitress typically get in a budget tourist restaurant. So does the budget restaurant hire twice as many waitresses? On the contrary, it is the upscale place that hires more waitstaff because each servant gets assigned less tables.

Im not a proponent of trickle down economics, and I dont doubt that the business owner sees the lions share of the extra money spent, but the upscale places do generally pay their staff better, and with Thai salaries being what they are, this is something I am very happy to support.

17000 is a lot. what restaurant is that please? i can feel a rush of job applications coming their way...

Archived