bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

Where abouts in Chiang Rai is that ?

I lived there for a while and didnt even know that it existed

The road that leads past the temple, JetYod Road, 19.903632, 99.831648

Loads of bars, much younger bar girls than Loi Kroh in CM.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that an old photo ?

Isnt it all closed down now and derelict ?

Is that an old photo ?

Isnt it all closed down now and derelict ?

Don't know, I've not been there for 2 or 3 years now.

Looked on Google maps, and Cat Bar is still there, google street view is usually pretty up to date.

It's not Chiang Rai, it's Cha Am. Soi Bus Station near the beach.

Overall Cha Am is a really nice, quiet small town though. With a beach and a handful of bars.

60 thb smalls at the beer bars in HH, and much more of a buyer's market in general. Cha'am is a bit peculier...there are good things and bad things about it not developing like HH, but apparently nightlife isn't one of the good. It does look an awful lot like Chiang Rai...maybe it's the same girls.

60 thb smalls at the beer bars in HH, and much more of a buyer's market in general. Cha'am is a bit peculier...there are good things and bad things about it not developing like HH, but apparently nightlife isn't one of the good.

Midnight closing too.. Some go to Hua Hin after midnight. (Which is a bit of a drive)

60 thb smalls at the beer bars in HH, and much more of a buyer's market in general. Cha'am is a bit peculier...there are good things and bad things about it not developing like HH, but apparently nightlife isn't one of the good.

Midnight closing too.. Some go to Hua Hin after midnight. (Which is a bit of a drive)

why not go there first,not a bad night life there,

Must admit, unless just sat drinking beer and gazing at not a lot going on is your thing, or maybe talking to some well past sell-by date dogs, aside from the closing at 12 aspect, biggest problem with LK is that it's as dull as dishwater for a night out. Totally lifeless and boring beyond belief. Largely consign myself to the fact that if a night out in that type of environment is required, jump on a plane and get to BKK, Pattaya or Phuket. In CM I'd rather opt for other types of entertainment and venue simply because the thought of a night on LK is downright bleeding depressing.

Sent using Tapatalk

Heads-up to everyone who likes sidewalk drinking on Nimmanhamin. A waitress at OMG told me that the sidewalk OMG, which is very popular (mostly with Thai people) will close after May 10. The upstairs OMG will remain.

I don't think this affects the sidewalk drinking in front of the bottle shop on Nimmanhamin, which is more popular with westerners. It may become more crowded.

Loads of bars, much younger bar girls than Loi Kroh in CM.

Spent 3 days drinking on Jet Yod Road a couple of months back. Much younger bar girls than Loi Kroh? Try, no bar girls at all except for two of the ropiest slappers I've ever seen anywhere on earth. Lots of pretty ladyboys though; if that's your cup of tea.

Apparently, it must be yours if you spent three days there. Bruce, bottle shop appears to be for lease, with a big sign overhead, and it also looks like they bailed on the place next door. I posted a photo of it a few weeks ago, but didn't get much info, other than they were still selling. Also, Move-Up is for sale...as if a business with prohibitively expensive rent is worth anything.

Must admit, unless just sat drinking beer and gazing at not a lot going on is your thing, or maybe talking to some well past sell-by date dogs, aside from the closing at 12 aspect, biggest problem with LK is that it's as dull as dishwater for a night out. Totally lifeless and boring beyond belief. Largely consign myself to the fact that if a night out in that type of environment is required, jump on a plane and get to BKK, Pattaya or Phuket. In CM I'd rather opt for other types of entertainment and venue simply because the thought of a night on LK is downright bleeding depressing.

Its bad, but its not perhaps as bad as all that.. I mean, often is smaller towns you need to ake youw own fun, kick the party up a bit and get them laughing and going.. OK I readily accept CNX 'should' be a bit more lively.. And to me seemed to be only 3 or 4 years back.. But still theres a few bars with lively sorts in, D-fly, couple of bars in soi boxing..

Its poor, but maybe overstating how poor..

Apparently, it must be yours if you spent three days there. Bruce, bottle shop appears to be for lease, with a big sign overhead, and it also looks like they bailed on the place next door. I posted a photo of it a few weeks ago, but didn't get much info, other than they were still selling. Also, Move-Up is for sale...as if a business with prohibitively expensive rent is worth anything.

could be wrong,But I think some big money going in to nimman,maybe investors are looking for space and the bars are a easy target.to shut down and open up a retail store,or something.??

maybe more of that multi-level retail that is popular around there. I don't think that lot is deep enough for a condo block. Probably 200K per TW along there, and really not much for sale. That little rat infested restaurant shack next to Tesco might be worth 15 million+.....that's some very affluent rats.

Its bad, but its not perhaps as bad as all that.. I mean, often is smaller towns you need to ake youw own fun, kick the party up a bit and get them laughing and going.. OK I readily accept CNX 'should' be a bit more lively.. And to me seemed to be only 3 or 4 years back.. But still theres a few bars with lively sorts in, D-fly, couple of bars in soi boxing..

Its poor, but maybe overstating how poor..

Don't get me wrong. Plenty about the CM social scene that I do like. It's just that if I fancied the type of night out that might entice me to LK, I'd just rather not bother. To me it just has a completely flat feel about it. I always end up feeling <deleted> am I doing here.

• 2 weeks later...

Heads-up to everyone who likes sidewalk drinking on Nimmanhamin. A waitress at OMG told me that the sidewalk OMG, which is very popular (mostly with Thai people) will close after May 10. The upstairs OMG will remain.

I don't think this affects the sidewalk drinking in front of the bottle shop on Nimmanhamin, which is more popular with westerners. It may become more crowded.

The downstair OMG, that immensely popular patio area across the street from Tesco on Nimmanhamin, is now closed. A friend told me the rent for the patio area in front of the shops from 6pm to midnight, plus a small kitchen in the corner, was 100 thousand baht a month. Insane. The newer upstairs OMG is open and doing a good business, but it doesn't have the sidewalk food vendors that were the real attraction of the closed area.

The sidewalk tables at the bottle shop on the west side of Nimmanhamin and a little north of soi 6 is still open, but has only a quarter of the seating of the downstairs OMG.

Everything I consider interesting is still closing at midnight around Nimmanhamin. Maybe there are some 1am places on soi 6, but the fact that no one has clarified this indicates that there is little interest in these places.

A friend from Ireland turned up in Chiang Mai last week, an old mate I met in Chiang Mai yonks ago and haven’t seen him for the last for 6 years and the first time he’s been back to Thailand since then. He’s roughly my age and a bit of a lad, loves the good times, drinks and girls.

We arranged to meet in town at 7. 00 evening last Monday 9th. We met up, great to see each other again and he asked; OK, take me somewhere new, where the action is? And guess what? I seriously did not know where to take him. It was stifling hot, LK was dead and that was that. We ended up going for a meal and having a few drinks, spoke about the good old days, by 10. 30 everything was dead and then we parted ways and the next day he checked out of his hotel and went down to Bangkok. Next year he intends to visit Thailand again but he’ll be giving Chiang Mai a miss and I’ll probably fly down to meet him next time.

A friend from Ireland turned up in Chiang Mai last week, an old mate I met in Chiang Mai yonks ago and haven’t seen him for the last for 6 years and the first time he’s been back to Thailand since then. He’s roughly my age and a bit of a lad, loves the good times, drinks and girls.

We arranged to meet in town at 7. 00 evening last Monday 9th. We met up, great to see each other again and he asked; OK, take me somewhere new, where the action is? And guess what? I seriously did not know where to take him. It was stifling hot, LK was dead and that was that. We ended up going for a meal and having a few drinks, spoke about the good old days, by 10. 30 everything was dead and then we parted ways and the next day he checked out of his hotel and went down to Bangkok. Next year he intends to visit Thailand again but he’ll be giving Chiang Mai a miss and I’ll probably fly down to meet him next time.

Ok, wait: 7pm, on a Monday, in May....

When was that ever a good time to party? ;)

Trouble is I'm not sure it'd be any better around LK at 8pm on a Friday.

Sent using Tapatalk

If we agree that say 8pm to 12 midnight are the trading hours where you might expect to see some volume of customers at LK how can you possible make a living from

4 hours x 7 = 28 hours a week ?.............................Answer you can't

When was that ever a good time to party? wink.png

A few years ago it was a great time to stay out as late as you liked without dealing with weekend or high season crowds. The beer kept flowing and the pretties kept serving and there was less competition for their attention.

Now, whether you like your nightlife crowded and noisy or relaxed and with elbow-room, the party ends at midnight.

A friend from Ireland turned up in Chiang Mai last week, an old mate I met in Chiang Mai yonks ago and havent seen him for the last for 6 years and the first time hes been back to Thailand since then. Hes roughly my age and a bit of a lad, loves the good times, drinks and girls.

We arranged to meet in town at 7. 00 evening last Monday 9th. We met up, great to see each other again and he asked; OK, take me somewhere new, where the action is? And guess what? I seriously did not know where to take him. It was stifling hot, LK was dead and that was that. We ended up going for a meal and having a few drinks, spoke about the good old days, by 10. 30 everything was dead and then we parted ways and the next day he checked out of his hotel and went down to Bangkok. Next year he intends to visit Thailand again but hell be giving Chiang Mai a miss and Ill probably fly down to meet him next time.

When was that ever a good time to party? wink.png

A few years ago it was a great time to stay out as late as you liked without dealing with weekend or high season crowds. The beer kept flowing and the pretties kept serving and there was less competition for their attention.

Now, whether you like your nightlife crowded and noisy or relaxed and with elbow-room, the party ends at midnight.

and in lots of bars /resturants,11-30 is the optimum time to start closing down, So as to be sure shutters down by midnight.

Exactly. Visited Oxide at the weekend. Bit more lively than most, pleasant surroundings too, but the shut down started about 11:45. I'd agree with the dull comments too. Chiang Mai's great for many reasons, party or even reasonably entertaining nights out on the town ain't one of them. Meal and a few drinks is about the best to hope for, unless the likes of Zoe or Whats' Up appeal.

Archived