bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

LOL So you are saying that the people upholding the law will get booted.

LOL LOL LOL

If it is illegal activities being accepted that turns you on try Burma.

Edit

I just wet through the whole thread out of 105 posts there was only 50 posters and they were not all that bent out of shape about it. Some thought it was a good idea and some were indifferent to it.

Not going to read them all but I would bet that half of them that are concerned about it are not that upset by it.

Where have I said that "illegal activities turn me on". Don't be absurd.

I'm simply saying that in most countries in the world, there are not these ridiculous laws, such as not being able to buy alcohol from 2-5 *unless* you buy in bulk, or not being able to buy alcohol 300m from a university, or not being able to have a drink because midnight is soooooooooooooo late.

So until the chumps screwing it up are gone (and they will be eventually), I'll just go somewhere where they aren't so dumb.

I'll still go to Pattaya for golf though, that doesn't appear to be run by morons.

Just stop bitching about the laws being up held and dragging in the rest of the world rite back to the 1980's.

If I needed a drink as bad as it seems many on this thread do after 12:00 I would be out of here like a flash. I have no proof of it but I would say that less than one tourist in 100 comes to Chiang Mai for the night life. Hint you don't like the night life in Chiang Mai and you seem to prefer the Golf courses in Pattaya which has all the night life one can handle plus...............

You proudly say you havent read all the thread, cant be bothered to look but that you "would bet that half of them that are concerned about it are not that upset by it".. Erm OK..

Its not about being desperate to find a drink, which can be done.. its about having social venues, and places to go.. Having some fun clubs and places to hang out.. Music venues.. Places to watch the EPL.. For Thais also.. Not having clubs close down, people be put out of work and a big knock on for all those late night carts and vendors which are a large unofficial economy... Its about an already bad economy being given a further nudge into the red..

Saying "its the law" when that law isnt administered this way anywhere else.. Or at any other time.. Is very much missing the point.. For a start we are living under article 44.. There is no law only what they say is law.. If its the firm hard law lets see them shut Bangkok Phuket and everywhere down ?? Ohh no that would be both economically unwise and socially unwanted. Think of the jobs.. Etc etc ... Why is it so strange to point out that the same effects are happening here.

When the police tried to operate the usual policy of leniency, they got instantly transferred.. Why only here ??

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try telling the young Europeans, that come here in droves, that they don't need a night life!

NJ sorry to tell you that your statement "that not one out of a 100 tourists comes here for the night life" is simply ridiculous.

Younger people (ie not retirees, like you and me) come here for the total holiday experience, day and night.Its nothing to do with being desperate for a drink. Its about having fun,cameraderie, new friendships,perhaps you have forgotten what is was like to be youngish and active.I haven't.

The alcohol "laws" here are simply a joke.I missed the 2pm deadline to buy a bottle of wine the other day,

saved me from becoming totally irresponsible.My visitor from Oz couldnt believe that rule applied.

Just stop bitching about the laws being up held and dragging in the rest of the world rite back to the 1980's.

If I needed a drink as bad as it seems many on this thread do after 12:00 I would be out of here like a flash. I have no proof of it but I would say that less than one tourist in 100 comes to Chiang Mai for the night life. Hint you don't like the night life in Chiang Mai and you seem to prefer the Golf courses in Pattaya which has all the night life one can handle plus...............

It's past your bedtime, you shouldn't be up feverishly typing on threads that don't concern you.

Now turn the light off and go to sleep this minute.

It's past your bedtime, you shouldn't be up feverishly typing on threads that don't concern you.

his posts get more and more bizzare by the day,jn fact more weird than his alter ego hello dolly.poor nj.must be his age,

his posts get more and more bizzare by the day,jn fact more weird than his alter ego hello dolly.poor nj.must be his age,

Not weird at all. I live in Chiang Mai and have a hard time understanding why two hours a day with out your usual alcohol place is so hard on people. Alcoholics I understand but not regular people.

You think I am weird read the one where the guy is talking about leaving Chiang Mai and referred to the bars being open real late in a part of London in the 1980s. I could be wrong maybe it is just a sign of his desperation.

In my life time I have drank my share and enjoyed the living hell out of it but never had to go to a night club to enjoy it We just had huge house parties minimal of one a week. Any kind of music we liked. Occasional we would go to a bar with music but it was always to loud to enjoy the people we were with. If there was a lot of us we would go to a bar where they didn't have music. We enjoyed the company we were with and didn't have to have a drink to do it.

As long as your not living near a nightclub.. How in any way does it effect you..

I dont try to regulate the opening times of yoga centers, health food stores, or when joggers should be out and about..

Not weird at all. I live in Chiang Mai and have a hard time understanding why two hours a day with out your usual alcohol place is so hard on people. Alcoholics I understand but not regular people.

You think I am weird read the one where the guy is talking about leaving Chiang Mai and referred to the bars being open real late in a part of London in the 1980s. I could be wrong maybe it is just a sign of his desperation.

In my life time I have drank my share and enjoyed the living hell out of it but never had to go to a night club to enjoy it We just had huge house parties minimal of one a week. Any kind of music we liked. Occasional we would go to a bar with music but it was always to loud to enjoy the people we were with. If there was a lot of us we would go to a bar where they didn't have music. We enjoyed the company we were with and didn't have to have a drink to do it.

Again and again.. Its not about that last 2 hours desperate for a drink.. its about social venues being open to have somewhere to be out and about in town.. Its about having places to go to 'enjoy the company of the people we are with' or to meet people..

Midnight is a very early time to shut down a city as large as this entirely.. Early globally, and early for Thailand.. Hell 10 - 15 years ago there were clubs till dawn and secret clubs that would be going until 8 or 9 am.. Under exactly the same 'its the law' that people keep referring to..

Supporting LivinginLOS 100% for saying exactly what I have also been saying these past few weeks. There seems to be a particularly weird and perverse group on here who equate wanting to have the human right to meet with friends even if it goes on past midnight as being a group of old drunk alcoholics desperately in need of a drink or a hooker.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I m rarely out after midnight, maybe twice a month, and I dont drink to excess, and I dont go with hookers, but I try to live in a civilised 21st Century with freedom of expression and freedom of human rights to decide if I want to go to a late bar or a nightclub.

What these few strange people are missing is that the whole point of a "nightclub" is exactly that, its a place to go to after pub hours if (heaven forbid!) you fancy an extra hour or so. Nightclubs, for that is what they are, the clue is in the name, exist in most Countries in the World be it China, India, USA, UK, etc etc etc and on and on.

Far be it from me to allude as to why we are getting this ridiculous reaction from a few, but as a practising agnostic ( not atheist ) I am beginning to wonder if the strange views on here may be being expressed by members of the ( sadly ) vastly increasing christian missionary bible belt people who it seems are growing in number in Chiang Mai from month to month?

Just a thought!!!!!

When you say "rarely" and "twice a month", I wouldn't exactly use the term "rare." I do it once or twice a year, which is still not that rare. I"m not sure of word(s) between rare and never. lol. i'm kidding.

nothing good happens after.....we all know the next word.

i want people home before midnight because of the following:

1. get up early to go to wat

2. good role model for family, neighborhood

3. get up early to help the locals do early morning gardening

4. yes, go to church!!!! haha

i don't care if a guy is out until 4 a.m. every day of his life, drinks 100 beers an hour, and has 213 hooker girlfriends.

just don't wake me up.

coffee1.gif

nobody 'has' to go to a nightclub. and nobody is making you do so. but in chiang mai at the moment when you're having a nice night out with a group of friends and it gets to 11.30pm and a few people decide they'd like another drink or two and a further chat and laugh or heaven forbid maybe a dance, it is annoying for all bars and clubs to then begin rolling down the shutters. it stifles fun and hurts businesses.

Supporting LivinginLOS 100% for saying exactly what I have also been saying these past few weeks. There seems to be a particularly weird and perverse group on here who equate wanting to have the human right to meet with friends even if it goes on past midnight as being a group of old drunk alcoholics desperately in need of a drink or a hooker.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I m rarely out after midnight, maybe twice a month, and I dont drink to excess, and I dont go with hookers, but I try to live in a civilised 21st Century with freedom of expression and freedom of human rights to decide if I want to go to a late bar or a nightclub.

What these few strange people are missing is that the whole point of a "nightclub" is exactly that, its a place to go to after pub hours if (heaven forbid!) you fancy an extra hour or so. Nightclubs, for that is what they are, the clue is in the name, exist in most Countries in the World be it China, India, USA, UK, etc etc etc and on and on.

Far be it from me to allude as to why we are getting this ridiculous reaction from a few, but as a practising agnostic ( not atheist ) I am beginning to wonder if the strange views on here may be being expressed by members of the ( sadly ) vastly increasing christian missionary bible belt people who it seems are growing in number in Chiang Mai from month to month?

Just a thought!!!!!

I actually had the same thought the other day; if bible thumpers were posting on this thread. Wonder what they would think if the current repressive regime decided to clamp down on non-buddhist religions.

Seems to me that in the matter of people opining about laws, those that don't affect are fine and those that do are an abomination.

I don't go out late at night anymore but seems there should be at least some options for those that do. Regardless we have no input on how things are run.

I don't go out late at night anymore but seems there should be at least some options for those that do.

I go out rarely.. 1 or 2 times a week.. But when I go out, it all seems a bit early and abrupt, and clearly judging by the amount of customers still out, I am not alone.. To be shutting the whole place down.

Its not like its going to have me moving off to pattaya or anything daft, its still the best place to live in Thailand IMO.. it just seems unfair and frankly a bit strange to be turning down such custom. Its for sure a kind of a negative.

You wont convince me all Thais want to be tucked up in their own bed at 12:30 on a friday ??

And also spare a thought for the service staff working shift in hotels, restaurants, bars, hospitals, firestations, shops, etc. who might just fancy a post work beer.

According to the coffin dodger, that makes them desperate alcoholics.

gigglem.gif

I have a hard time understanding why two hours a day with out your usual alcohol place is so hard on people. Alcoholics I understand but not regular people.

Actually alcoholics are drinking at any hour. A proper alcoholic is done well before midnight. So you can stop trying to make it sound like everyone who enjoys a night out is an alcoholic.

I'm usually home early too, but not too thick to realize that the bars and pubs that I do enjoy are there because it's a worthwhile business. If you squeeze out profitable hours (even when I'm not there) then businesses close, are less vibrant, etc. And once that kills whole segments of nightlife (like the reggae music bars) then you cause a decline in younger tourists. This in turn impacts not just bars further, but many other businesses as well.

Understand now? And that it's a bigger picture type of discussion, not really about how you had a perfectly good time with friends at home 40 years ago? Good.

One viable loophole may actually be hotels; hotel bars tend to get exempt from a lot of the bullshit, however not many hotels in Chiang Mai are making good use of that.

Remember in the dark old days of past military governments and curfews, as lock-ins in places like the Grace in Bangkok.. they got away with it then because they're hotels, and possibly there is an opportunity here again in current desperate times.. many hotels are in a perfectly fine location for a late night party. I wonder if they need to make a legal effort to get it explained to police that a place like Bubbles or Fabrique should be exempt, because part of a hotel. And there are plenty other hotels in good locations that could start something up.. Raming Lodge for example, Amora hotel, etc. Get in the late night crowd, also for sports events, etc.

I m rarely out after midnight, maybe twice a month, and I dont drink to excess, and I dont go with hookers,

You sound like a lot of fun ......... NOT!

Drinking to excess and going with hookers is FUN.

(OK so I'm too old to do both at once, but I can still do one)

One viable loophole may actually be hotels; hotel bars tend to get exempt from a lot of the bullshit, however not many hotels in Chiang Mai are making good use of that.

Remember in the dark old days of past military governments and curfews, as lock-ins in places like the Grace in Bangkok.. they got away with it then because they're hotels, and possibly there is an opportunity here again in current desperate times.. many hotels are in a perfectly fine location for a late night party. I wonder if they need to make a legal effort to get it explained to police that a place like Bubbles or Fabrique should be exempt, because part of a hotel. And there are plenty other hotels in good locations that could start something up.. Raming Lodge for example, Amora hotel, etc. Get in the late night crowd, also for sports events, etc.

Hot shots should/would have been able to stay open, as they were in the hotel.

Bubbles was outside the hotel, in the car park.

I m rarely out after midnight, maybe twice a month, and I dont drink to excess, and I dont go with hookers,

You sound like a lot of fun ......... NOT!

Drinking to excess and going with hookers is FUN.

(OK so I'm too old to do both at once, but I can still do one)

Blimey. You should work for The Daily Mail or The Sun. Talk about taking a few words out of context. Did you ACTUALLY READ my post, all of it? If you did you will note that I am one of those IN FAVOUR of later nights and freedom to choose.

Perhaps on the other hand you struggle with more than fifteen words in a straight line!

Yeah I was wondering about that myself..

I dont know if they actually have a legal dispensation, or if its the fact that a hotel can simply legitimately be open, while a bar has no reason to be open other than selling drinks..

Hot shots should/would have been able to stay open, as they were in the hotel.

Bubbles was outside the hotel, in the car park.

It's in the basement.. the toilets down from the hotel lobby have a door to the main Bubbles area. (I know because that's how I used to dodge the cover charge.. ;) )

(So if they wanted to the could redesign the main entrance from inside the hotel, too. What you see out in the parking lot was added to accommodate a separate / prominent entrance; notice how it snakes towards the hotel, then down some stairs. )

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe (fingers crossed) they are relaxing on this BS. A few places in the old city seem to be getting away with pushing the limits a bit. On Nimmanhamin things still lock up at midnight, except Tawan Daeng which stays open and loud until 1 a.m., and maybe open and quiet after that--I haven't checked.

Bars in the UK close at 11 PM .

The UK also has noise restrictions, music venues in some areas have to stop the music by 10 PM .

CM is not really a party place .

Also , there are many temples in CM , temples where Monks live and sleep .

Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink with their friends , they tend to get completely drunk and walk around the streets in a drunken obnoxious state until sunrise .

There are many bars down Loi Kroh closing down and the premises for sale , everyone seems to be selling, but no one wants to buy ,

It must be heart breaking for bar owners : I was out and about in CM at 1 AM the other night and there were hundreds of foreigners walking about around Zoe , Spicy etc all looking for somewhere to have a drink, yet all the bars that desperately need and want their custom had to close down an hour beforehand .

Bars in the UK close at 11 PM .

The UK also has noise restrictions, music venues in some areas have to stop the music by 10 PM .

CM is not really a party place .

Also , there are many temples in CM , temples where Monks live and sleep .

Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink with their friends , they tend to get completely drunk and walk around the streets in a drunken obnoxious state until sunrise .

There are many bars down Loi Kroh closing down and the premises for sale , everyone seems to be selling, but no one wants to buy ,

It must be heart breaking for bar owners : I was out and about in CM at 1 AM the other night and there were hundreds of foreigners walking about around Zoe , Spicy etc all looking for somewhere to have a drink, yet all the bars that desperately need and want their custom had to close down an hour beforehand .

Since when was this a law concerning foreigners? This law was introduced, like practically every law in Thailand, with only Thai people in mind. "Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink"? Most of my foreign customers are out for a quiet drink, are finished by 11pm, and I very rarely have a drunk in the place. The young foreigners out in Chiang Mai after midnight are the exception, not the rule. Are you implying that Thais are out for a couple of drinks and don't get rotten drunk? Try standing outside any late-night Thai bar at closing time. Thailand does not revolve around tourists. This law affects Thai businesses way more than the few bars on Loi Kroh rd,

Archived