bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

It seems like the younger crowd is following i the footsteps of the older folks and insisting on doing things the hard way. The tradition of TV will apparently carry on, into the next generation. Closing times aren't secret. Instead of just starting earlier, they show up at the bars at 22:00, and then by 23:00, they start acting about as bad as a tweeker, with near panic in their voices. I live in a no sale zone, yet I can still walk to Tesco in five minutes, and know of a few places that will deliver to me. I can sit out in front of the closed restaurant, with the Thais, and drink all night, if I really want to, or just simply tap into my Heineken supply in my refrigerator, that actually serves cold beer.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bars in the UK close at 11 PM .

The UK also has noise restrictions, music venues in some areas have to stop the music by 10 PM .

CM is not really a party place .

Also , there are many temples in CM , temples where Monks live and sleep .

Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink with their friends , they tend to get completely drunk and walk around the streets in a drunken obnoxious state until sunrise .

There are many bars down Loi Kroh closing down and the premises for sale , everyone seems to be selling, but no one wants to buy ,

It must be heart breaking for bar owners : I was out and about in CM at 1 AM the other night and there were hundreds of foreigners walking about around Zoe , Spicy etc all looking for somewhere to have a drink, yet all the bars that desperately need and want their custom had to close down an hour beforehand .

Since when was this a law concerning foreigners? This law was introduced, like practically every law in Thailand, with only Thai people in mind. "Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink"? Most of my foreign customers are out for a quiet drink, are finished by 11pm, and I very rarely have a drunk in the place. The young foreigners out in Chiang Mai after midnight are the exception, not the rule. Are you implying that Thais are out for a couple of drinks and don't get rotten drunk? Try standing outside any late-night Thai bar at closing time. Thailand does not revolve around tourists. This law affects Thai businesses way more than the few bars on Loi Kroh rd,

Laws in all Countries are made for everyone in that Country .

It would be unfair on Thais if foreigners could get a drink in a bar, yet Thais couldnt .

Thailand doesnt have a drinking culture , like we do in the West .

The Thai Government doesnt want persons in Thailand drinking all night , whether they be Thai or Foreign

The Thai Government doesnt want persons in Thailand drinking all night , whether they be Thai or Foreign

Not the Thai government, one or two entitled, sanctimonious individuals.

What about people who work late shifts and want a beer after work?

Why should they be penalised?

The people making the rules are the Thai Government .

There are no special rules made for people who finish work late, so they wont be able to go to a bar after work, although they are still allowed to have a beer at home

There are many bars down Loi Kroh closing down and the premises for sale , everyone seems to be selling, but no one wants to buy ,

Says who? Just in the 200m stretch from the moat I know of two places that recently changed hands. (The lease most likely, not the actual property.) The place next to Carnival is getting major work done, solid new roof. I think it'll stay as a bar as they left the existing bar (counter top) in place.

Not seeing too much for sale there. (Other than in the sense that in a way everything is always for sale, like Cherry Bar. )

Also prices of the actual properties are remain sky high. The grottiest little shophouse needs to fetch 10 million.

It's nanny state-ism at the whim of an individual. It doesn't affect me, I can simply go elsewhere.

I think we all can..

post-64232-0-19469900-1446535882_thumb.j

(Also do you now finally understand the sense in Air Asia's schedule..)

* Finish your job teaching English or something, go to the airport at 6:30pm

* Flight to Utapao at 7:40pm.

* Air Asia bus to Central Patters, arriving at 10:20pm --> PERFECT TIME TO HIT THE PARTY

**** PARTY LIKE IT'S 19 90 9 !!! *****

* Air Asia bus to Utapao, departs from Central Festival at 5am. --> PERFECT TIME TO GO HOME.

* Flight to Chiang Mai departing at 6:40am.

* 7:55 arrive Chiang Mai. Taxi back to work.

* Continue teaching English or something at 8:30am.

It's BRILLIANT! :)

Mr K used to drink with the staff from the Good View in a local bar after their closing time, things seem to be slackening off a bit now because he was with them one night last week until quite late.

I think you're quite right saying it's just a couple of individuals laying the law down, I think it's going to be this way for a long time to come. At least with their attention on drinking they aren't looking for other things to crack down on.

Says who? Just in the 200m stretch from the moat I know of two places that recently changed hands. (The lease most likely, not the actual property.) The place next to Carnival is getting major work done, solid new roof. I think it'll stay as a bar as they left the existing bar (counter top) in place.

Not seeing too much for sale there. (Other than in the sense that in a way everything is always for sale, like Cherry Bar. )

Also prices of the actual properties are remain sky high. The grottiest little shophouse needs to fetch 10 million.

There are six bars down Loi kroh with a "Far sale/rent " signs hanging out side them and most have been on sale for over a year . I also looked on business for sale in CM websites and there are numerous other bars for sale in LK, I counted about 15 , Yes, some do get sold, but they are usually back on the market again within six months .

Just walking around their in the evening and you can see that most bars are empty .

Not many customers, many bars for sale .

Seven bars have closed down LK recently and they are now non bar business's .

The bars on LK seem to deny that they need some local regulars to come in a couple of times a week, year around, and stay for several rounds. The higher prices, make them often empty, and even a loaded tourist is going to be reluctant to come into an empty bar and stay for more than one, I think the model John's used to have was the best; lowest prices in the area, a real active pub style feel, and a good mix of people who had been there 300 times, and first timers. John owns that property, and that right there was a huge advantage. I don't know exactly what transpired, but prices are up, numbers are down, and it, too, is often nearly empty. There used to be 30 drinkers in there at 6pm...on a Wednesday.

My choices come down to 90 THB smalls on LK or 3 large for 200 off Nimman, in a somewhat nicer venue.....not hard to make.

Yes, five years ago, most bars down LK and Muy Thai were full of an eclectic bunch , backpackers, holiday makers, teachers, long termers, bar girls and free lancers and sex tourists all playing pool together until about 1 AM and then sometimes all head off together to Zoe or Spicy, then on to the Lucky bar and home by sunrise , These days, theres usually just one sex tourist sitting in the bar looking miserably at his big chang with grandmother bar girls as company

In terms of pricing it's a little weird in many places. When visiting with my wife she would normally drink something like Malibu & pineapple juice. Small shot Malibu, pineapple juice from a can. 130 baht. Which is a lot. But looking at the menu at that particular bar, it appears they do Mojitos for 100 Baht. Which is a MUCH better deal, much better drink, and significantly cheaper.

I think if anyone is a regular anywhere they can usually work something out, be it a straight discount, extended happy hour pricing, a free drink after every two, or they end up serving you twice the amount of everything in a tall glass, which amounts to a 50% discount. Sometimes all you need to do is ask.

But yes, I do agree that more bars could be a bit more proactive in offering people a good deal, especially residents and women.

The bars on LK seem to deny that they need some local regulars to come in a couple of times a week, year around, and stay for several rounds. The higher prices, make them often empty, and even a loaded tourist is going to be reluctant to come into an empty bar and stay for more than one, I think the model John's used to have was the best; lowest prices in the area, a real active pub style feel, and a good mix of people who had been there 300 times, and first timers. John owns that property, and that right there was a huge advantage. I don't know exactly what transpired, but prices are up, numbers are down, and it, too, is often nearly empty. There used to be 30 drinkers in there at 6pm...on a Wednesday.

My choices come down to 90 THB smalls on LK or 3 large for 200 off Nimman, in a somewhat nicer venue.....not hard to make.

He still honors the 20% discount card, which says on it in his writing 'member forever'.

It was a great place, it was better when Cosey was going, it had just the right amount of sleaze.

There was a time when it was full at 6am!!

Winnie your last sentence would apply to any reasonable country where adults are treated as such. But this is Thailand!

Study the 70 page booklet that details the restrictions that apply here. It is Thai and was handed out by the Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office a little over a year ago. It clearly shows that any form of promotion such as happy hours, beer girls, free ice and mixers are banned. As are staff wearing branded clothing, the use of empty bottles as decoration, logos on glasses or ashtrays etc.

A waiter cannot even recommend a brand in response to a customer question.

Yes we all know that bars ignore a lot of the regulations but the current actions on trading hours are only the start of what the authorities plan as a crack down on the sale of the demon drink.

At 11:45 pm on Halloween a pair of police arrived outside the bar that I was drinking at and were busy taking photographs! I wonder what they will do with those images. And having told the owner to follow the law they sped off, red lights flashing, to their next location.

Chiang Mai bar owners have to be increasingly careful. So don't blame them for a lack of initiative. Read the regulations and see how Thailand is increasingly restricting their lives. And the authorities seem oblivious of the example of prohibition in the U.S.A. as an example of how draconian banning of alcohol did nothing to cut consumption and everything to increase criminal control of illicit liquor.

Thailand doesnt have a drinking culture

Mind.. Blown..

Compared to Western Nations

Im not talking about bar girls or old Thai guys on the local whisky .

Im talking about generally .

Many Westerners go out most week-ends to drink as much as possible , yes, some Thais do drink, but to to the same extent as Westerners .

Many UK towns and cities are awash with drunken youngsters at the week end and also some week days , most Thai towns are not like this .

Mind.. Blown..

Many Westerners go out most week-ends to drink as much as possible , yes, some Thais do drink, but to to the same extent as Westerners .

Many UK towns and cities are awash with drunken youngsters at the week end and also some week days , most Thai towns are not like this .

You don't get out much, do you?

I say that because I don't know too many places in the UK where they start the night by buying a whole bottle of rotgut and mixers.

Here it's the norm and happens all over.

The people making the rules are the Thai Government .

There are no special rules made for people who finish work late, so they wont be able to go to a bar after work, although they are still allowed to have a beer at home

I thought the person making the rules, overthrew the legal government at gunpoint.

re

Seven bars have closed down LK recently and they are now non bar business's

i walk loi kroh quite a lot and the only bar i can think of that shut and went to something else was one love bar which went to ying yang massage which it still is

so can you name some of the 7 that shut please ?

dave2

ps .. im talking bars

not pizza places , burger , mexican or french eating places etc

post-42592-0-92987800-1446552382_thumb.j

post-42592-0-83338400-1446552411_thumb.j

so can you name some of the 7 that shut please ?

Tottenham Chrises bar .Which oisnt anything now, just closed

The one on the corner of soi 1 , which is now a jewelers

The bar next to the Playhouse, now a Karen silver shop.

The Wat bar

The bar next to the Chiang may saloon , now a cafe .

Angelas in Muy Thai complex .Just closed

Mikes pizza, which was solely a bar when they stopped selling food in the evening .

The bar next to Cindys . Just a void now

2 gether bar, down soi 1 . Now a cafe

And a bar opposite 2 gether bar , now a launderette

Mind.. Blown..

You don't get out much, do you?

I say that because I don't know too many places in the UK where they start the night by buying a whole bottle of rotgut and mixers.

Here it's the norm and happens all over.

and also the promotion of the night generally about 6 bootles of chang /leo ect

Mind.. Blown..

I think your confusing the way people go out and socialize versus the amounts they drink.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/infographic/alcohol-consumption-thailand

Thailand is the top alcohol-consuming country in ASEAN

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/WHO-report-reveals-Thailand-is-reeling-under-a-liq-30236548.html

Thailand is ranked fourth-highest in the world for consumption of alcohol.

Interestingly..

One of the goals of any successful alcohol programme is to move drinkers toward drinks that contain less alcohol, for example beer and wine rather than spirits. The main legislative vehicle to make that move is usually the tax structure, but that concept has not penetrated political minds in Thailand.

Bars in the UK close at 11 PM .

The UK also has noise restrictions, music venues in some areas have to stop the music by 10 PM .

CM is not really a party place .

Also , there are many temples in CM , temples where Monks live and sleep .

Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink with their friends , they tend to get completely drunk and walk around the streets in a drunken obnoxious state until sunrise .

It must be heart breaking for bar owners : I was out and about in CM at 1 AM the other night and there were hundreds of foreigners walking about around Zoe , Spicy etc all looking for somewhere to have a drink, yet all the bars that desperately need and want their custom had to close down an hour beforehand .

Since when was this a law concerning foreigners? This law was introduced, like practically every law in Thailand, with only Thai people in mind. "Drinking foreigners in CM do not tend to have a quiet drink"? Most of my foreign customers are out for a quiet drink, are finished by 11pm, and I very rarely have a drunk in the place. The young foreigners out in Chiang Mai after midnight are the exception, not the rule. Are you implying that Thais are out for a couple of drinks and don't get rotten drunk? Try standing outside any late-night Thai bar at closing time. Thailand does not revolve around tourists. This law affects Thai businesses way more than the few bars on Loi Kroh rd,

Laws in all Countries are made for everyone in that Country .

It would be unfair on Thais if foreigners could get a drink in a bar, yet Thais couldnt .

Thailand doesnt have a drinking culture , like we do in the West .

There are lots of places in the world where tourists and foreigners can drink and locals cannot. Try UAE, Qatar, Pakistan, etc.

Isn't that more because of their religion? If a muslim non local was in Qatar the same thing would apply as to the Qatari surely? Not the fact that the person is a local or not in that instance or am I misunderstanding something? A local is someone who lives there, a non muslim residing in Qatar would be able to drink wouldn't they?

As tourism evolves, people are more and more drawn to establishments that are clean, well-thought out and have more sophisticated and clever designs. Lighting, atmosphere and comfort all play a key role.

Given that beverages available are primarily the same anywhere you go, the establishment itself and the service and staff are crucial.

Perhaps the reason behind the decline in (hooker) bars, pubs and various spins on this theme is not so much any government regulations or spotty harassment by police, but the fact that these establishments on Loy Khroh are generally grotty and by most people's standards, sleazy. Of course, some are better than others, but also many (most?) are "microbars" with little space or interest in being anything other than a stopping point for alcohol and (rental) women.

Backpackers, Chinese tourists and the like walking down Loy Khroh at night look at the bars along the way and are either frightened (this looks like a clip-joint or something untoward goes on here), repulsed (God, what a dump!), or dissuaded from stopping (a couple of expats nursing beers with middle-aged bargirls, uh, not my scene).

Nothing good used to happen after midnight anyway.

Bullocks !

after midnight we're let it all hang out ! after midnite we gonna chugalug and shout we're gonna cause talk and suspicion, give an exhibition we're gonna find out what it is all about !

after midnight we're shake our tambourine, after midnight it's gonna be peaches and cream.

so there, you are wrong.

Archived