BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DanceAllNight

bars closing at 12 am

No-one said that grown up countries don't have any regulations.

However, most developed countries allow the sale of alcohol after midnight, which is what the topic is about. I can't think of any that don't, do

you?

What was said was that If a business wants to sell late, early or both, it should be allowed to, that is pretty close to no regulations.

For the exact regulations, maybe midnight is early, but in most Western cities with a population similar to Chiang Mai, I cannot find a bar with outdoor serving, live music, and open until midnight on every single day of the week, but I can find that easily in Chiang Mai.

Even in larger Western cities, it can be a challenge to find a place that is open past midnight on weeknights, even harder to find a disco.

So Chiang Mai is not really more restrictive than your typical Western city with a population of 2-300k people. The main difference seems to be that some venues are able to ignore the rules for longer periods, making expats think that this is how things should be, rather than be concerned about a system where rules are not the same for everyone (although Im sure there exists different licenses for bars/discos, as there also do in the West).

Agree. It's getting tiresome listening to these foreigners whining/whinging about how Thais run their country when things back home aren't much different. It's simple...if things are so much better elsewhere, they should freakin go there. I have no problem at all with bars shutting down at midnight. If you can't do all you need to do before midnight, tough!

Firstly.. I dont know where you come from, but it IS much different.. Nightclubs elsewhere go on far later.. And as is being pointed out many times.. Nightclubs in Thailand go on far later. So 'how Thais run their country' isnt the issue is it ?? Its how this city is changing, not for the better.. and costing Thais economically.

Secondly, and the point is crucial enough to bear repeating.. Its a change in policy.. It isnt 'how Thais have run the country' under previous governments.. Its how an unelected Junta seem intent on punishing one specific area.. Its a change, not something thats always been that way.. Negative changes get reactions.

LOL

"Negative changes get reactions."

Are you saying enforcing the law is a negative change. LOL

Agree. It's getting tiresome listening to these foreigners whining/whinging about how Thais run their country when things back home aren't much different. It's simple...if things are so much better elsewhere, they should freakin go there. I have no problem at all with bars shutting down at midnight. If you can't do all you need to do before midnight, tough!

Firstly.. I dont know where you come from, but it IS much different.. Nightclubs elsewhere go on far later.. And as is being pointed out many times.. Nightclubs in Thailand go on far later. So 'how Thais run their country' isnt the issue is it ?? Its how this city is changing, not for the better.. and costing Thais economically.

Secondly, and the point is crucial enough to bear repeating.. Its a change in policy.. It isnt 'how Thais have run the country' under previous governments.. Its how an unelected Junta seem intent on punishing one specific area.. Its a change, not something thats always been that way.. Negative changes get reactions.

LOL

"Negative changes get reactions."

Are you saying enforcing the law is a negative change. LOL

Isnt that obvious.. Yes I am saying this current level of enforcement is a LARGE negative change.. And not only for us as customers..

Its damaging the local economy.. Its putting businesses and people out of work.. Its not happening in other places.. and it hasnt happened at other times..

Even the Purachai social order campaign back in what ?? 2002 ?? it was 1am..

Simply because something is a law on the books, a law thats been routinely ignored for decades, does not mean that sudden (and random) enforcement of that law is a good thing.

It may be 'the law' but in no other Thai town, with any amount of tourism, is it enforced.. Phuket, Samui, Hua Hin, Bangkok, Pattaya, etc etc.. None of them are forced to suffer this 'law'..

well maybe the problem is the other areas not enforcing tbe law, if they are staying open beyond legally allowed hours, or are you saying that the legal curfew hours in Chiang Mai are earlier than other places?

well maybe the problem is the other areas not enforcing tbe law, if they are staying open beyond legally allowed hours, or are you saying that the legal curfew hours in Chiang Mai are earlier than other places?

I am baffled you could understand otherwise.. Nowhere is it applied at midnight except here and perhaps Udon.. Tho it was more like 12:30 - 1 in Udon last visit..

Pattaya or Phuket its 4 even 5 am..

Samui its about 3 but they have clubs which go late..

Bangkok its 2.. Same Hua Hin..

If you count towns with a significant tourism element no where closes like Chiang Mai does.. Saying its the law, while no where else does it, and it wasnt applied here before is kind of missing the point !!

I know, right? The audacity of people discussing their viewpoints in an online discussion forum.....wait, what?

Wait a minute, are you chastising me for giving MY viewpoint?? Sorry, but where I come from, it's perfectly acceptable to express oneself, e.g., complain about the complainers. Unless you have issues with freedom of speech.

You don't have freedom of speech. Whatever gave you the idea that you did?

I am baffled you could understand otherwise.. Nowhere is it applied at midnight except here and perhaps Udon.. Tho it was more like 12:30 - 1 in Udon last visit..

Pattaya or Phuket its 4 even 5 am..

Samui its about 3 but they have clubs which go late..

Bangkok its 2.. Same Hua Hin..

If you count towns with a significant tourism element no where closes like Chiang Mai does.. Saying its the law, while no where else does it, and it wasnt applied here before is kind of missing the point !!

i wouldn't say i was I'm baffled more just trying to clarify what the exact case is and you haven't managed to appease my so called bafflement.

What is the law exactly and is it a national law? Do other towns have different local licensing hours as per the local laws or perhaps exceptions that have been passed by local authorities and are as such in the law?

just because something has never been enforced strictly doesn't mean to say its ok or legal to break such as opening late beyond licensing hours permitted.

The law is and has been for at least 20 years 12 midnight.. Except for a couple of special entertainment zones where its 1am..

Thats nationwide..

And never been enforced before.

Pointing out that its 'the law' when no where else suffers the same enforcement of that 'law' is missing the point.

I know, right? The audacity of people discussing their viewpoints in an online discussion forum.....wait, what?

Wait a minute, are you chastising me for giving MY viewpoint?? Sorry, but where I come from, it's perfectly acceptable to express oneself, e.g., complain about the complainers. Unless you have issues with freedom of speech.

No, I'm mocking you for complaining about others who exercise their right to to free speech.

Brave of you to double down on your hypocrisy, though.

So if you or others don't like it then do something about it or live with it. Whenever I've been unhappy in a job I've looked for another. Im sure if people don't like bars closing early enough that it seriously bothers them, then I would expect them to move or be constantly unhappy. Bar owners the same if its not working out look to get out even if you have to take a loss as is normal in business when trade suffers.

I would personally prefer a 2am cut off but i just start my evening earlier if I want more drinking time. I do agree that its lost some of its nightlife appeal compared to a few years ago which is disappointing. That said if thats a major drag to people I am sure they will go elsewhere or curb their activities. Underground rave anyone? lol

So if you or others don't like it then do something about it or live with it. Whenever I've been unhappy in a job I've looked for another. Im sure if people don't like bars closing early enough that it seriously bothers them, then I would expect them to move or be constantly unhappy. Bar owners the same if its not working out look to get out even if you have to take a loss as is normal in business when trade suffers.

I would personally prefer a 2am cut off but i just start my evening earlier if I want more drinking time. I do agree that its lost some of its nightlife appeal compared to a few years ago which is disappointing. That said if thats a major drag to people I am sure they will go elsewhere or curb their activities. Underground rave anyone? lol

That's exactly what I'm doing, time to try another country out.

I doubt I'm the only one, I've read of others who are doing the same thing.

Which is bad for everyone, less customers = prices go up, that's how it works in Thailand.

tongue.png

where are u headin'

I'm a veering between Cambodia and Vietnam at the moment.

(Well not literally, obviously, but I could have been because their bloody bars are open past midnight).

Bye, bye!

No, just "au revoir", these muppets will get booted eventually.