bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

As tourism evolves, people are more and more drawn to establishments that are clean, well-thought out and have more sophisticated and clever designs. Lighting, atmosphere and comfort all play a key role.

Given that beverages available are primarily the same anywhere you go, the establishment itself and the service and staff are crucial.

Perhaps the reason behind the decline in (hooker) bars, pubs and various spins on this theme is not so much any government regulations or spotty harassment by police, but the fact that these establishments on Loy Khroh are generally grotty and by most people's standards, sleazy. Of course, some are better than others, but also many (most?) are "microbars" with little space or interest in being anything other than a stopping point for alcohol and (rental) women.

Backpackers, Chinese tourists and the like walking down Loy Khroh at night look at the bars along the way and are either frightened (this looks like a clip-joint or something untoward goes on here), repulsed (God, what a dump!), or dissuaded from stopping (a couple of expats nursing beers with middle-aged bargirls, uh, not my scene).

You've obviously never been to China if you think the Loy Kroh bars are off putting... they're all a significant step up on what's available in most Chinese cities. And most Chinese bars are filled with dice playing hookers too - at least the hookers in Chiang Mai don't make you play dice. There's a time and a place for everything. Little dive bars full of over the hill chicks are alwyas going to be popular with a certain market. Well lit and expensive (Beerlab - I'm looking at you) places also have their target audience. My issue with all of them is that the music in this city is uniformly awful. Give me a place with a half-decent playlist and I'll drink there whatever the hell it looks like.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha....I have more Chinese experience than you'd imagine.

My point is, (and I brought up the gobbing masses because they are spreading like a tourist cancer), that modern tourists (in general, not all) are looking for higher standards, nicer places. Your average Chinese tourist might not even go to their local dive back in Nanyang and they surely don't want to spend all that money to come to Chiang Mai, Thailand and get the same hayseed setting they can get back home.

" Little dive bars full of over the hill chicks are alwyas going to be popular with a certain market."

Agreed, but it's not the current trend if you want to not only stay in business, but prosper.

"My issue with all of them is that the music in this city is uniformly awful."

Agreed, but it must appeal to a certain market....

As tourism evolves, people are more and more drawn to establishments that are clean, well-thought out and have more sophisticated and clever designs. Lighting, atmosphere and comfort all play a key role.

Given that beverages available are primarily the same anywhere you go, the establishment itself and the service and staff are crucial.

Perhaps the reason behind the decline in (hooker) bars, pubs and various spins on this theme is not so much any government regulations or spotty harassment by police, but the fact that these establishments on Loy Khroh are generally grotty and by most people's standards, sleazy. Of course, some are better than others, but also many (most?) are "microbars" with little space or interest in being anything other than a stopping point for alcohol and (rental) women.

Backpackers, Chinese tourists and the like walking down Loy Khroh at night look at the bars along the way and are either frightened (this looks like a clip-joint or something untoward goes on here), repulsed (God, what a dump!), or dissuaded from stopping (a couple of expats nursing beers with middle-aged bargirls, uh, not my scene).

I really don't like your post, but I know you're right. :/

Some have tried / are trying though. Number 1 Bar was successful for a while for example, and Carnival just about looks nice enough for the occasional tourist (and, women tourists or couple) to wander in. You somehow need to cater to all markets as a bar and that's difficult. Zoe Yellow is another example: they don't sell bargirl's services directly, but the overall format attracts enough of them to elevate the sleaze to an acceptable level later at night.

Ultimately though, even if you throw all kinds of money, class and style at a place, it'll still be curtains not long after midnight. Not exactly an encouragement.

Your obviously not out sampling the craft beer scene..

I was at a open keg party on Friday where one of Chiang Mais underground breweries was on offer.. Chatting with the brewer its interesting how many micro brews are starting up in the last 2 years.. And in places where your not talking about western consumption.

I think Thai craft beer is going to take off like crazy in the next 5 years, tax laws or not.

I really don't like your post, but I know you're right. :/

Some have tried / are trying though. Number 1 Bar was successful for a while for example, and Carnival just about looks nice enough for the occasional tourist (and, women tourists or couple) to wander in. You somehow need to cater to all markets as a bar and that's difficult. Zoe Yellow is another example: they don't sell bargirl's services directly, but the overall format attracts enough of them to elevate the sleaze to an acceptable level later at night.

Ultimately though, even if you throw all kinds of money, class and style at a place, it'll still be curtains not long after midnight. Not exactly an encouragement.

hopefully it will not last for ever,the closing at midnight,maybe and i say maybe some one will see sense somewere,imho i think its effecting the thais more than tourists.

Last night in the Thai kareokes and bars there was a flap getting everyone out and locked up by midnight. When I asked why they mentioned Army and Police coming round to check (if Army personel serious can't be paid off to look the other way).

They said the new crackdown is because of the rape in Pai of the British girl and the subsequent remarks by the senior cop there (see the Thai Visa news article)

So expect more early closing for the forseeable future

Well good thing I checked online forums in advance blink.png

I sure hope those closing time will evolve by April 2016!

I'm coming with a friend for a week in CM, we're in our late 20's, Swiss, and although we don't plan on partying everynight, I sure hope we could find some fun places opened later than midnight !

I've been to CM a few times before, I've seen more than my fair share of SE-Asia and lived in Shanghai for 4 years. CM has always been a highlight for me, it's such a great city, for lots of reasons. And tbh nightlife was one of them. Last time I came here, I had some amazing time in Warmup and I really want to show that side of CM to my friend as he's never been there. It's such a different vibe than BKK, more chill out with a nice mix of tourists, backpackers, thai locals, students etc etc.

But if the city dies at midnight... I'm not even sure CM is the right choice anymore. It's my favorite city in Asia and although I wouldn't call us alcoholic, nightlife has to be important part of our trip. Not sure what to think anyore sad.png

We have planned lots of things: a Pai road trip, Suthep, the Carry, some trek etc... But goddamn we don't see our ourselves ending our days at 00h. Is CM the new Burma?

PLEASE tell me it will most likely be relaxed by Songkran 2016.

Great forum btw !!

I'm coming with a friend for a week in CM, we're in our late 20's, Swiss, and although we don't plan on partying everynight, I sure hope we could find some fun places opened later than midnight !

Well, if you're here for Songkran then it hardly matters, because it's a mad party all day long. If anything people are thoroughly tired in the evening, so nights tend to be a bit subdued during the festival.

That days however... super, SUPER fun and crazy. Best party on Earth.

And then after Songkran just move to Pattaya or the islands something. ;)

Well, if you're here for Songkran then it hardly matters, because it's a mad party all day long. If anything people are thoroughly tired in the evening, so nights tend to be a bit subdued during the festival.

That days however... super, SUPER fun and crazy. Best party on Earth.

And then after Songkran just move to Pattaya or the islands something. wink.png

True it will be Songkran ! And I never experienced it before so I'm really looking forward to it. As for the South, we've done it before, but my friend never been to the North. So the plan is BKK-CM-LuangPrabang-BKK this time around !

Can't wait ! biggrin.png

If I were a younger man I'd give Thailand a pass and go elsewhere in SE Asia for nightlife and fun. Since I'm not a young man I am perfectly comfortable with buying my beer and spirits at almost any time of the day or night in my very Thai neighbourhood. Drinking with the locals, listening to my own sound system, having friends over....... what a life!

If I were a younger man I'd give Thailand a pass and go elsewhere in SE Asia for nightlife and fun. Since I'm not a young man I am perfectly comfortable with buying my beer and spirits at almost any time of the day or night in my very Thai neighbourhood. Drinking with the locals, listening to my own sound system, having friends over....... what a life!

Yes, BUT the whole world and everyone elses lives, doesnt revolve around you, does it ?

Yes, BUT the whole world and everyone elses lives, doesnt revolve around you, does it ?

I've never thought it had actually!..... and thankfully it doesn't!. I apologize for missing the point of your comment.

My years working for the governments of Taiwan, Abu Dhabi, Cambodia and Thailand brought me great experiences, opportunities to learn and many friends native to those countries. Living amongst the locals is far more enriching than being simply part of an insular "faring/expat" milieu.

I think the closure time for bars set at mid-night are fine. Earlier would be better.

More exciting and frequent house parties would result from such. (you can always sleep over at a host's house but not a bar)

Less crime against farangs! Less road rage and deaths!

and............. far better music!

Seems like there is going to be no let up for Loi Kratong given article below.

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/6432-ตำรวจกองเมือง-จับร้านบาร์เบี/

Pixilated faces for your Facebook page if you ere in attendance, and pixilated grog.....

And it seems Thai places are also under the pump with military in attendance.

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/6429-ปกครอง-ออกตรวจสถานบันเทิง-ที่/

Out and about last night down Loi Kroh and some places were open at 12 30 AM . Not sure what time they closed, because I went home

Guess how much Chinese money is being invested in Chiang Mai? I have 2 Thai real estate friends that have switched to solely "sales"of land and buildings and courting the Chinese 90% of their time. Chinese tourists, especially tour groups will soon be housed in Chinese owned complexes (many are already near completion), driven about by Chinese transpo companies (who put in the highest bid at the airport?), eat at Chinese owned restaurants and the only Thais to benefit will be those who smelled the opportunity to make money by facilitating this. Look at Siem Reap, Cambodia and the Korean wave!

The government wants stability and so do Chinese tourists.

Loi Kroh and it's bars dont' appeal to the Chinese. Neither do the trinkets(since most are made in China)

The real estate does appeal to them!

With enough pressure, the government will bring the farang establishments to their knees and then the big scoop-up will occur with Chinese entrepreneurs and a select few Thais benefitting.

The bar scene will go through an extraordinary facelift! Expensive drinks, plastic backdrops for fabulous selfies, glitter balls and stability. Need I mention karaoke and an eclectic dung-pile of muzak?

It will be difficult for tuktuks and songtaews to park with all the Chinese tour buses on the roadside!

Out and about last night down Loi Kroh and some places were open at 12 30 AM . Not sure what time they closed, because I went home

Guess how much Chinese money is being invested in Chiang Mai? I have 2 Thai real estate friends that have switched to solely "sales"of land and buildings and courting the Chinese 90% of their time. Chinese tourists, especially tour groups will soon be housed in Chinese owned complexes (many are already near completion), driven about by Chinese transpo companies (who put in the highest bid at the airport?), eat at Chinese owned restaurants and the only Thais to benefit will be those who smelled the opportunity to make money by facilitating this. Look at Siem Reap, Cambodia and the Korean wave!

The government wants stability and so do Chinese tourists.

Loi Kroh and it's bars dont' appeal to the Chinese. Neither do the trinkets(since most are made in China)

The real estate does appeal to them!

With enough pressure, the government will bring the farang establishments to their knees and then the big scoop-up will occur with Chinese entrepreneurs and a select few Thais benefitting.

The bar scene will go through an extraordinary facelift! Expensive drinks, plastic backdrops for fabulous selfies, glitter balls and stability. Need I mention karaoke and an eclectic dung-pile of muzak?

It will be difficult for tuktuks and songtaews to park with all the Chinese tour buses on the roadside!

we digress but I beg to differ. The PRC tourists are largely here on the back of the Lost in Thailand film which featured CM prominently. You see a lot more around CMU and other sites from the movie (CMU now having tours and buses and the like). They are not coming for the food, temples, culture or land. Thai land owenweship laws have not changed even though proxy arrangements still feature.

China is investing in a lot of Asian countries...on a national level, on a private investor level accomodating western countries are still the favourites.

Much like the Russians in Pattaya, this too will pass.

Meanwhile a TAT tourist draw card has bars closing at midnight or thereabouts which is bad enough, but spare a thought for the local Thais who think they exist in a large city and can go out and party but apparently not...other cities in Thailand are clearly not being policed to this level, including other tourist type places. Somebody wants it dead here for some reason. What was the Cold War slogan, ."Better dead than....."

Pathetic yesterday , the police and military police sweeping out the Zoe area at 11:30.

They had half the Ratchavitee Rd taken with police cars and vans.

Had to move back to Loi kroh to get my last drink which was not a problem but it is sad to see Chiang Mai losing it.

In Phuket they where talking about opening a new entertainment zone that closes at 4 AM, so whats going on here.

Pathetic yesterday , the police and military police sweeping out the Zoe area at 11:30.

They had half the Ratchavitee Rd taken with police cars and vans.

Had to move back to Loi kroh to get my last drink which was not a problem but it is sad to see Chiang Mai losing it.

In Phuket they where talking about opening a new entertainment zone that closes at 4 AM, so whats going on here.

yeah was there in the middle of that last night, whole thing was a circus and just downright embarrassing. it was more of a photoshoot than a police action.

All sounds a bit grim. Just occasionally it's nice to get a drink after 12. Esp when commitments mean you can't get out until 9 or 10.

I rent in Phuket at the moment, lots of places open until 3. But they're finding other ways to kill Phuket. Close and bulldoze the beach bars; no sun-loungers, umbrellas or tables on the beaches; people unable to buy food or drinks near the beaches. Way to go.

Archived