bars closing at 12 am

DanceAllNight

A friend has almost no reservations at her guesthouse for Loi Krathong. She blames this on widely publicized restrictions on the release of lanterns, but I'm sure the restricted nightlife has a lot to do with it as well. Last year, when we still had martial law, was bad for her business, this year is worse.

I don't know if it's a conspiracy against Chiang Mai or just government idiocy, but a lot of businesses are hurting.

If you go on the Agoda booking site, you can see that in the Loy Crating week, 420 hotels have still accommodation... a bad sign... but tourism is up, guess our Chinese vistors are sleeping in the rice fields?

That doesn't mean a whole lot without a comparison to Loy Krathong during other years, or indeed to other times of the year.

For example, for a low-season time of the year, you get 1004 hotels with availability.

So another way of saying exactly the same thing is that 60% of hotels are booked completely full. (As far as Agoda bookings go; some will have availability at rack rates.)

And then secondly the connection to nightlife is iffy; people would be coming for Loy Krathong and general sightseeing first and foremost.

(Even as a sex tourist, you wouldn't have much trouble finding a girl to bang while wearing glittery Lanna attire. ;) )

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

420 in CM? Is that a lot at this time of the year then?

I dont think its telling us a lot, for example Four Seasons Residence have a last room available at ฿90k and 137 Pillars House have their last room available at ฿30k. With such offers included in the list, I wouldnt make calls about whether or not the hotel industry is bleeding

I do remember last year it was impossible to get a plane ticket from Bangkok to Chiang Mai during Loi Kratong, but this was 1-2 days before, and the train was not going all the way (due to track renovation), so that might have put additional pressure on the planes.

Right now AirAsia have the plane tickets (DMK → CNX) at about ฿3k.

If fewer tourists are coming to Chiang Mai (in general), my money would be on the air quality rather than nightlife crackdowns.

"Last room available" means that Agoda has only been alotted a certain number of rooms or it is a marketing ploy. Early bar closings probably decreases the return visits from the young partiers.

I dont see the relevance of the last comment, am I missing something?

Put on some glittery Lanna attire (As suggested previously) and you may find out... just joking. I didnt really see the relevance to this topic either, maybe a form of wit?

Back to the future here!

Now let's face it... Pattaya and Bangkok and another few lesser bright lights are the "geese that lay the golden eggs". The junta needs them in 2 ways and that's what distinguishes these parts of Thailand from the rest. The government needs to keep the "dream of a vacation in thailand" alive. The junta also needs the cash flow that results from that. They need it as high as they can support it so that they can reap their own personal benefits. Don't kid yourself... the junta could close down any area in a blink of an eye - but why should they when those areas offer such financial rewards to the country and to themselves and their cronies? False pretences, double standards? no... just good old business sense.
This country keeps touting that tourism is the "keel" of the ship to recovery. .... and by golly the junta is going to ensure that that happens and make as much profit off it as possible. Bury the real culprits (locals) in obscurity, cherry pick a few transnationals as goat-bait, spin-doctor as much as possible to keep the nationals feeling less guilty of a corrupt system etc; etc
Drinking hours are your concern?
Sorry, but if you don't live in the select few "graft gardens' then you really shouldn't complain. it was your choice to do so. Just follow the example of the locals in your area and walk solemnly down the street with your heads hanging low.
Revolution takes patience to coordinate. Follow your Thai neighbours ways and hope to live long enough to see how passive resistance and stored sentiment can be exercised.
in the meantime, take advantage of the General's gift of giving you the opportunity to get to bed early - BUT don't forget to start drinking earlier and getting the most out of the evening available.

Now let's face it... Pattaya and Bangkok and another few lesser bright lights are the "geese that lay the golden eggs". The junta needs them in 2 ways and that's what distinguishes these parts of Thailand from the rest. The government needs to keep the "dream of a vacation in thailand" alive. The junta also needs the cash flow that results from that […]

What cash flow are you talking about?

You think the girls working the nightlife areas in Pattaya and Bangkok pay tax?

You think all the foreigners who bought condos in Pattaya and Phuket are paying tax from rental income?

You think the bars/agogos are generating any noticeable profit from which the junta benefits?

I really doubt the junta is dependent on these places.

Tonight : Lucky bar, 12. 20 AM, Just had a visit from the Police : closed down. Had my photo taken with them , Thai guy (owner) got cuffed up and taken away

Mr. "No Noisey" on Loi Kroh Soi 1 must be as happy as a pig in <deleted>. I wonder how #1 Bar, Bob at Basic, and Tony at Lanna Rentals are managing.

The owner of Lucky either put up some kind of fuss or else the intimidation tactics have risen to a new and distasteful level for them to have "cuffed" him.

is there anything more to the taking pics of customers than simply evidence of a so-called infraction?

Now let's face it... Pattaya and Bangkok and another few lesser bright lights are the "geese that lay the golden eggs". The junta needs them in 2 ways and that's what distinguishes these parts of Thailand from the rest. The government needs to keep the "dream of a vacation in thailand" alive. The junta also needs the cash flow that results from that […]

You think all the foreigners who bought condos in Pattaya and Phuket are paying tax from rental income?

You think the bars/agogos are generating any noticeable profit from which the junta benefits?

The junta's not concerned about taxation. That's a no brainer. "Cash cows" to line people's pockets are extremely profitable though. Imagine the fallout in the tourist sector if the police/junta put the same pressure on these areas as they are putting on CM? Not good for anyone! But it's darn good for someone and their friends in CM.

I think you will find that the bar owners are hurting more so because they still have to 'donate' to the police 'security fund' every month or so. Naturally receipts are never given for this donation and its not like its voluntary either.

So together with this donation, they are getting hit hard with enforcement of closing times. The bar owners know its 12 midnight but the last few nights places have been closed down at 1130. My missus is a bit annoyed by this (She has a small bar in the Zoe complex) but knows she dare not complain.

I worry that one day soon it may all come to a head, then things could get nasty. Either that or we might as well forget about going into the city for a few drinks with friends. Who knows what may replace this part for young tourists. Sad times ahead methinks

Not so much the Junta is financially dependent.. More the Junta is dependent on a the society at large being just complacent enough to tolerate it for the time being..

Shut down Samui, the islands, Phuket, Patts, Hua hin, Bangkok, etc at those times and watch the Tourist industry take a big hit.. In turn see huge swathes of the thai grey economy lose their livelihood, and see how tense things get then..

The Junta may not be reliant on an electoral majority.. But they get onto much thinner ice when the distaste for them goes from apathy to genuine hunger..

I think you will find that the bar owners are hurting more so because they still have to 'donate' to the police 'security fund' every month or so. Naturally receipts are never given for this donation and its not like its voluntary either.

So together with this donation, they are getting hit hard with enforcement of closing times. The bar owners know its 12 midnight but the last few nights places have been closed down at 1130. My missus is a bit annoyed by this (She has a small bar in the Zoe complex) but knows she dare not complain.

I worry that one day soon it may all come to a head, then things could get nasty. Either that or we might as well forget about going into the city for a few drinks with friends. Who knows what may replace this part for young tourists. Sad times ahead methinks

Young people anywhere around the world don't have the money a bar-owner needs from a customer. the serious money is found in the pockets of retirees, those with jobs and not travelling.

i grew up as a 20-something year old in the early 70's -in a city of 65k - 5 bars with live bands 6 nights/week - GUESS how long that lasted? "video killed the radio star" nailed it

no money in kids - unless dumb kids willing to spend a fortune on a drink - using parents back-up promise of funds to keep afloat

maybe your missus should try a new concept like karaoke for chinese tourists - they love group settings and comfy outcomes

Young people anywhere around the world don't have the money a bar-owner needs from a customer. the serious money is found in the pockets of retirees, those with jobs and not travelling.

i grew up as a 20-something year old in the early 70's -in a city of 65k - 5 bars with live bands 6 nights/week - GUESS how long that lasted? "video killed the radio star" nailed it

no money in kids - unless dumb kids willing to spend a fortune on a drink - using parents back-up promise of funds to keep afloat

maybe your missus should try a new concept like karaoke for chinese tourists - they love group settings and comfy outcomes

Good points....However karaoke will be the last thing on her mind and I back her with that.

Young tourists in the past haven't been shy to spend "their" money at bars but their generation typically wait till late to do so. So now they generally binge drink from 11 until the bars get shut down....or don't bother at all.

But we have seen a lot more 'slack-packers' sitting on footpaths consuming products sourced from 7 11. So times are getting tough for all.

Oh and booze is quite cheap here compared to what one would pay back in our homeland...so I don't think they are spending a fortune on drink by comparison.

I agree that in order to succeed, you sometimes need to diversify into other areas. Do the market research and hopefully come up with a service thats not already thrashed to death. Then get into it quick before everyone else copies your idea.

Time will tell with the missus place.... may end up just walking away from the business if it becomes unsustainable.

Many here don't realize how small the backpacker's budget is. I've tried to help a few find a place, occasionally, and one would think that 300 for a/c, TV, security in a good location would meet the budget needs of any farang traveler, let alone a couple. But no, too expensive, even though that is less than the taxes would be on a hotel room in the US or Europe...I just checked Motel-6 in Nogales....not exactly a fashionable destination...taxes one night; 272 THB, room 2161 THB.....So their room budget is about 100 per night per person.....just how many 120 THB drinks made with cap-fulls of liquor are they going to buy? Maybe one more than the Thais, who aren't going to buy any. They and their Chinese cousins will go to the places, where they can bring in their own bottle.

Many here don't realize how small the backpacker's budget is. I've tried to help a few find a place, occasionally, and one would think that 300 for a/c, TV, security in a good location would meet the budget needs of any farang traveler, let alone a couple. But no, too expensive, even though that is less than the taxes would be on a hotel room in the US or Europe...I just checked Motel-6 in Nogales....not exactly a fashionable destination...taxes one night; 272 THB, room 2161 THB.....So their room budget is about 100 per night per person.....just how many 120 THB drinks made with cap-fulls of liquor are they going to buy? Maybe one more than the Thais, who aren't going to buy any. They and their Chinese cousins will go to the places, where they can bring in their own bottle.

Backpackers' budget isn't much I agree, but they do bring more than just the cash, it's an incentive for other people (like me) to come and have a few drinks, dare I say party.

And there are other type of traveler than the cliché broke backpacker or the 75 years old cynical grumpy retiree.

I for one, will be coming with a friend (late 20s) for a weeks in April, we'll be spending 40k on accommodation alone and we sure hope to be able to enjoy some drinks and a nice ambiance later than midnight. But looks like it's not happening for now. I seriously can't fathom the reasons to impose that kind of curfew.

Well, maybe things will look different in a few months.

Cheers.

I for one, will be coming with a friend (late 20s) for a weeks in April, we'll be spending 40k on accommodation alone and we sure hope to be able to enjoy some drinks and a nice ambiance later than midnight. But looks it's not happening for now. I seriously can't fathom the reasons to impose that kind of curfew.

I doubt it - if I were you I would avoid Chiang Mai and just go elsewhere. Somewhere like Hua Hin is running quite normally at the moment.

Tonight I will be out sitting outside a bar having a few beers until around 1 or 2 am.

I for one, will be coming with a friend (late 20s) for a weeks in April, we'll be spending 40k on accommodation alone and we sure hope to be able to enjoy some drinks and a nice ambiance later than midnight. But looks it's not happening for now. I seriously can't fathom the reasons to impose that kind of curfew.

I doubt it - if I were you I would avoid Chiang Mai and just go elsewhere. Somewhere like Hua Hin is running quite normally at the moment.

Tonight I will be out sitting outside a bar having a few beers until around 1 or 2 am.

Thanks for the input :) !

We've done the south a few times already and I really would like to show the North to my friend asI do think it's the best part of Thailand. We'll be going to Luang Prabang as well.

Really, we're not coming for the nightlife alone. We look forward to go to Pai, and do as much activities as we can. But saying we don't care about our night time in Chiang Mai would be a lie. I've been there several time before and I have only but great memories about the scene. I'm just sad to hear it's slowly dying.

Backpackers' budget isn't much I agree, but they do bring more than just the cash, it's an incentive for other people (like me) to come and have a few drinks, dare I say party.

And there are other type of traveler than the cliché broke backpacker or the 75 years old cynical grumpy retiree.

I for one, will be coming with a friend (late 20s) for a weeks in April, we'll be spending 40k on accommodation alone and we sure hope to be able to enjoy some drinks and a nice ambiance later than midnight. But looks like it's not happening for now. I seriously can't fathom the reasons to impose that kind of curfew.

Cheers.

Sorry to break your bubble - no it won't be different and your 40k means diddly in the grand scheme of things - you are merely easy pickings' son

April is the worst month to be here. Police presence is 5X, driving is pure insanity. Go for it.

It's also SongKran, but I guess this festival is not worth a visit...?

ya sure it is - if you are sincerely into culture and whatever it costs to discover it

and I will be sitting outside my condo, having a few beers and thinking of how much I miss the inner-city of CM - NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers.

Sorry to break your bubble - no it won't be different and your 40k means diddly in the grand scheme of things - you are merely easy pickings' son

Ha! so much about my clichés heh grandpa? neus.gif

Archived