'Never let a person sit alone': Memorial bench for David Miller unveiled on Jersey north coast

Lite Beer

'Never let a person sit alone': Memorial bench for David Miller unveiled on north coast

KOH SAMUI:--THE family and friends of Islander David Miller, who was killed in Thailand last year, recently gathered for the blessing of a bench that has been placed on the north coast in his memory.

The simple wooden seat is on the north coast cliff path, half-way between Plémont and Grosnez – an area that he loved.

The bench carries the inscription ‘Never let a person sit alone’, with a plaque showing the location of a star that has been named after him.

Funding for the bench was raised by friends at a celebration of his birthday earlier this year. The blessing was conducted by the Rector of St Ouen, the Rev Ian Pallent.

Mr Miller (24), a former Victoria College student, was found murdered on a beach on the island of Koh Tao, in Thailand, just over a year ago.

Source: http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2015/10/02/never-let-a-person-sit-alone-memorial-bench-for-david-miller-unveiled-on-north-coast/

--Jersey Evening Post 2015-10-03

There is no tonic or solution for the pain this young man's family and friends will have to endure, hopefully with the passing of time the good memories will help to ease their suffering.

This is indeed a nice tribute to him, he was obviously a much loved and respected young man and will be fondly remembered by those he left behind.

Every tragedy like this is pointless and meaningless, there is no reason to it. Something that is made more obvious and sad by this simple act of remembrance...

There is no tonic or solution for the pain this young man's family and friends will have to endure, hopefully with the passing of time the good memories will help to ease their suffering.

This is indeed a nice tribute to him, he was obviously a much loved and respected young man and will be fondly remembered by those he left behind.

Every tragedy like this is pointless and meaningless, there is no reason to it. Something that is made more obvious and sad by this simple act of remembrance...

A lot of us seniors have been lucky in life to side step these moments of misfortune. Is it luck that does this? It is nice to see this tribute to a young fellow cut down so early in life. I doubt if there will be any justice found for this tragic event.

Very touching, and should remind us all that David and Hannah were living, breathing human beings with families and friends who loved them very much.

Sometimes it seems that members posting on the other thread forget that. Arguing on and on and on, back and forth.

Maybe a bench (or a memorial) on Koh Tao to the memory of the two of them...

The ultimate respect would be young travelers avoiding Koh Tao and Thailand all together.

For me it would be the punishment of those truly guilty and involved.

I do not see it happening.

A bench erected there would probably be desecrated within an evening. With graffiti etc. No respect.

It's not like at home. You put a bench where the person liked to sit with a plaque, and people respect it. And the bench will last for decades. Out of respect of the person for whom it was placed. My family have one for my father, every time i go home i sit on "his bench". It helps with the grieving. Just sitting and talking.

I don't see that happening in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a bench (or a memorial) on Koh Tao to the memory of the two of them...

Slightly off-topic, but after the OneTwoGo air crash in Phuket, I helped to erect a non-religious spirit house on the beach near to the runway, in rememberance of those who died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB4OhwbmUuU

This was originally erected on the airport land by the beach, but the airport authorities insisted that it be moved off their land by about 5 metres, so that it was on public beach land.

The spirit house was visited by relatives of the crash victims.

Some months later, the whole memorial mysteriously disappeared overnight......

• 1 month later...

A lot of us seniors have been lucky in life to side step these moments of misfortune. Is it luck that does this? It is nice to see this tribute to a young fellow cut down so early in life. I doubt if there will be any justice found for this tragic event.

Not luck but karma IMHO.

One thing about getting old is that I see that there are reasons for EVERYTHING, whether it seems tragic at the time or not.

Those at the ironically named "karma bar" as Sean McA sang about will get there comeuppance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5_Pkc3Ja7U

If I were the friends and family, I'd be searching for this guy to get some instant karma - just listen to the words.

I do not like posting this item in the David memorial thread, but there will be many here who will want to be aware of this:

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-independently-investigate-the-horrific-murders-of-hannah-witheridge-and-david-miller/u/14625682?tk=k9h6feAwyijS8dNSMikipwy-EecZvRxIiaNPDlNB1X

Perhaps, the mods could move this to its own thread. If they do not, please resist commenting on the contents here.

Archived