Chiang Mai Police turned into Pattaya Style

Foxy

:o

A few days ago I parked my motorbike unfotunately at a street with parking restictions.

Found my bike half an hour later with lock, chain an police ticket.

Well, bad luck, that what I thought.

But what a surprise at the Mai Ping Police station, they charged me a 400,= thb. fine.

Thais friends told me that the regular police ticket for such a ,,criminal parking misbehaviour,, is

100 ,= thb. for the Thai.

I went back to the Mai Ping station to complain. As I already expected a useless action and waste of time. The aswer was that I should not worry as long as the fine is not yet 400,= USD.

Comming and living in Chiang Mai for over 20 years I see my sympaty for Thailand slowly melting away. Now it even looks like Chiang Mai police turns to Pattaya style. Thsi does not make it any better.

Amazing Thailand.

A few days ago I parked my motorbike unfotunately at a street with parking restictions.

But what a surprise at the Mai Ping Police station, they charged me a 400,= thb. fine.

Thais friends told me that the regular police ticket for such a ,,criminal parking misbehaviour,, is

I went back to the Mai Ping station to complain. As I already expected a useless action and waste of time. The aswer was that I should not worry as long as the fine is not yet 400,= USD.

Comming and living in Chiang Mai for over 20 years I see my sympaty for Thailand slowly melting away. Now it even looks like Chiang Mai police turns to Pattaya style. Thsi does not make it any better.

Amazing Thailand.

How can you complain? You broke the law! It's not like they chained up your bike when it was legally parked.

I don't think you were overcharged - the 100 baht is what you pay when stopped by the police - and they want enough for a bottle of Black Label!

Amazing Thailand.

How can you complain? You broke the law! It's not like they chained up your bike when it was legally parked.

I don't think you were overcharged - the 100 baht is what you pay when stopped by the police - and they want enough for a bottle of Black Label!

I think you have found out that there is difference in price [and maybe this is what your friends are talking about] for being stopped on the street and not having a helmet on, vs. parking in an illegal zone , haveing your vehicle chained or booted in some cases.

If you have been here that long why are you getting disillusioned? You ae the one who parked the bike , I take it? Nobody to pass the buck too.... cept u self.....

Cheer up, tomorrow will be a better day,,,,,,, maybe you can get to the 1,000 Baht mark

gonzo

of cours I complained, of course I am willing to pay the price for the law I broke but no additional expensses for their parties.

Sorry your highly appriciated comment can not change my point of view

As I understand it then, you went back to complain about the 300 baht difference, to no avail, and paid the 300 baht.

I hope you got 300 baht worth of satisfaction out of the exercise.... and you say you have been here for 20 years????

I think it would make better sense to have gone and seen a movie..... or buy several second hand books.... but then again thats only my opinion

Good luck to you

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Sorry, I am afreight you do not see the point. This is not about a stupid 300,= thb.

So I will follow your advise and go to the movie where I pay the same price as the Thai, rich or poor for the same movie.

In the meantime you take a trip to the nightsafary. Talk to you later.

An old Scottish mate o mine in Chiangmai taught me how to deal with roadside pullovers.. Firstly tell them your ATM card is f**ked , then tell them you havent eaten yet and your down to your last cigarette in the pack...Then presto, even the nastiest Thai cop will just wave you through.. (Waiver), i am not condoning braking the law by any means..Buckle up for safety and always wear a helmet.. And if that dont work do the Thai thang and "flee the scene".....

An old Scottish mate o mine in Chiangmai taught me how to deal with roadside pullovers.. Firstly tell them your ATM card is f**ked , then tell them you havent eaten yet and your down to your last cigarette in the pack...Then presto, even the nastiest Thai cop will just wave you through.. (Waiver), i am not condoning braking the law by any means..Buckle up for safety and always wear a helmet.. And if that dont work do the Thai thang and "flee the scene".....

It would have to be a Scotsman wouldn't it. The Scots and the Dutch would have to be the tightest bastards on the planet.

Offence meant Lampoon...... :o

Edited by Blinky Bill

I believe the Thai friends are inferring something else. About 10 years ago a wheel lock was put on my car for illegal parking. 400 Baht was the fine, plus the tuk-tuk fare to and from the station. At least no inflation on the charges.

Amazing Thailand.

Try to keep your perspective. Last time that happened to me, back in the US, it cost me $USD 119. I was 30 minutes away from having the tow truck called , which would have been $USD 350 and the loss of a day. Things could be worse.

Those streets where some sign tells in Thai that parking is prohibited on one side of the street on even dates and the other on uneven dates are a bit tricky for tourists having rented a moped. They turned my street into such one a few weeks ago and by now, I've sort of got a second job explaining to tourists where to go to pay the fine. The police have suggested I make a sign in English, explaining the rules ... but no way --- my work permit doesn't cover neither signmaking nor volunteer work for the traffic police.

Amazing Thailand.

Hey, in 1995, I was fined 400 baht for exactly the same thing on Thapae rd.. No big deal then, nor now...

Amazing Thailand.

Hey, in 1995, I was fined 400 baht for exactly the same thing on Thapae rd.. No big deal then, nor now...

I couldn't agree more Arjan. Sounds like farang's making mountains from molehills again. We have it so good here it's ridiculous..

:D

Amazing Thailand.

I couldn't agree more Arjan. Sounds like farang's making mountains from molehills again. We have it so good here it's ridiculous..

Yes, and one should expect anyone here for 'over 20 years' to have a better attitude... :o

Rank stupidity, I believe is the phrase the everybody is looking for. Twenty years should have been sufficient to learn where to park, and where not to.

400 baht is the official fine! The aforesaid 100 baht is just a "gratuitous offering" if you actually arrive as the officer is clamping your vehicle, and manage to persuade him to unclamp it.

If it takes 20 years to have an awareness as to what is what in Chiangers, Thailand or the rest of the planet. Then we have some real head-cases out there, and thats scary.. I dont think time served here is a correct gauge to someone's CDF (common dog <deleted>) common sense.. But as they say, when experience counts, count on experience.

Amazing Thailand.

I was fined 700B about 5 years ago when my car was 'steel booted', on Chotana near Novotel. The 'no parking' sign was well up the road, inconspicuously posted. Actually met the cop as he was remounting his M/C draped with more steel boots. No compassion; I didn't expect any, just wanted to know where to pay the fine. He took me via his bike to the police station, I paid 700B and was returned to my car. Just last week on Suthep Rd at the BkkBank there were about 6 M/Cs being chained as they were blocking access to the the side road. The Thai owners were complaining as the cop silently continued his lock-up and promptly left. Equal justice, good police work.

BTW, good coffee and small talk from the Thai chap selling espresso etal from his VW van...the Italian espresso machine is a magnificent thing, mega baht. Must be doing well as he is importing the penultimate machine in the near future.

Thanks for all you excelent reactions, wise guy's lessons and advises, I have never been fined in 20 years time, so never payed attention to the amount of a fine. My chopper was parked very close to a small sidewalk and bothering no one at all. ,,No parking sign,, out of view.

It might be a subject for another topic but if you realy think they love you that much, look at recent changes from the immigration. And there will be much more to follow. Please be realistic Thailand is a nice place to stay, but it's not heaven. Comparing to 20 years ago there has changed a lot for the worst. The best years have pased by already. So do not be ashamed to keep your eyes open wide and poster your criticts. :o

I have also been here 20 years or so, and have been caught twice, once a speeding ticket (132 km/h on Lamphun road, 200 bahts, would have cost me a hefty fine and my driving license in France...) and once caught without driving license on a motorbike,again 200 bahts, the actual 1 hour wait at the police station was more deterrent than the ticket price itself.

As a result, I have now a valid thai driving license and look twice before speeding... We are guests here, the least we can do is to abide by local laws and do not complain if fined when breaking it.

Isn't Thailand a formidable place to stay ?

Thanks for all you excelent reactions, wise guy's lessons and advises, I have never been fined in 20 years time, so never payed attention to the amount of a fine. My chopper was parked very close to a small sidewalk and bothering no one at all. ,,No parking sign,, out of view.

It might be a subject for another topic but if you realy think they love you that much, look at recent changes from the immigration. And there will be much more to follow. Please be realistic Thailand is a nice place to stay, but it's not heaven. Comparing to 20 years ago there has changed a lot for the worst. The best years have pased by already. So do not be ashamed to keep your eyes open wide and poster your criticts. :o

Mistake #1 - Never look back and compare a location with what it was like 20, 10 even 5 years ago...... Thailand has just grown up, alot like places from when you grew up in your own country.

While it might be nice to compare today with 20 years ago, many tend to forget the trade-offs such as restaurants today vs. then, internet today vs. then, hotels, transportation etc. There is a price to pay for what we have today vs. then....... such as tighter regulations on immigration, bars etc.

hel_l, I remember Bangkok in 1959, and yes I look back fondly, but there is no comparison that could be made nor would I try and do it......

well, after whingeing on about your small fine, I am suprised that you never stopped to consider that your Thai friends may have been wrong

Chiang Mai is blocked by illegal parking and the police are obviously determined to stop it

400B is a cheap price to pay for being a public nuisance

"My chopper was parked" you say. I do not know you but could it be you are driving a big 200 CC Honda Phantom or Kawasaki Boss "Chopper" ? According to your reaction you are just the guy riding one of these mean machines.

Amazing Thailand.

I was fined 700B about 5 years ago when my car was 'steel booted', on Chotana near Novotel. The 'no parking' sign was well up the road, inconspicuously posted. Actually met the cop as he was remounting his M/C draped with more steel boots. No compassion; I didn't expect any, just wanted to know where to pay the fine. He took me via his bike to the police station, I paid 700B and was returned to my car. Just last week on Suthep Rd at the BkkBank there were about 6 M/Cs being chained as they were blocking access to the the side road. The Thai owners were complaining as the cop silently continued his lock-up and promptly left. Equal justice, good police work.

BTW, good coffee and small talk from the Thai chap selling espresso etal from his VW van...the Italian espresso machine is a magnificent thing, mega baht. Must be doing well as he is importing the penultimate machine in the near future.

If you haven't been fined in 20 years you are merely lucky. The CM police have been booting illegally parked cars for at least 10 years and the fine is always 400B. I think your problem must be something else entirely. In terms of parking enforcement it's status quo.

:D

Amazing Thailand.

Lucky he didn't check on your license or it would have been 600 ole mate. Missus has been had twice in the past for no license (200 a time) and she can speak Thai believe it or not. Another reason to get one me thinks. :D

My chopper was parked very close to a small sidewalk and bothering no one at all.

I'm sure your 'chopper' would have raised a few eyebrows if it were parked on Loi Kroh. :o