Chiang Mai Police turned into Pattaya Style

Foxy

:D

A few days ago I parked my motorbike unfotunately at a street with parking restictions.

Found my bike half an hour later with lock, chain an police ticket.

Well, bad luck, that what I thought.

But what a surprise at the Mai Ping Police station, they charged me a 400,= thb. fine.

Thais friends told me that the regular police ticket for such a ,,criminal parking misbehaviour,, is

100 ,= thb. for the Thai.

I went back to the Mai Ping station to complain. As I already expected a useless action and waste of time. The aswer was that I should not worry as long as the fine is not yet 400,= USD.

Comming and living in Chiang Mai for over 20 years I see my sympaty for Thailand slowly melting away. Now it even looks like Chiang Mai police turns to Pattaya style. Thsi does not make it any better.

Amazing Thailand.

Hey, in 1995, I was fined 400 baht for exactly the same thing on Thapae rd.. No big deal then, nor now...

Lucky he didn't check on your license or it would have been 600 ole mate. Missus has been had twice in the past for no license (200 a time) and she can speak Thai believe it or not. Another reason to get one me thinks. :D

My chopper was parked very close to a small sidewalk and bothering no one at all.

I'm sure your 'chopper' would have raised a few eyebrows if it were parked on Loi Kroh. :o

On Loi Kroi ??? Maybe it was a Thaiquila Chopper ????? :D:D

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I must admit, I'm a bit biased, when reading about some foreigner having had to pay some fine, bribe or whatever it might be called ... Living here, I pretty much prefer to see those rich foreigners' money entering into - and contributing - to the local moneyflow, rather than it remains on that foreigners foreign bank account ... Sorry.

I would say the average 'foreigner' puts a huge amount more into the local economy than the average Thai already without being fleeced... not that he has been in this particular case of course.

:o

A few days ago I parked my motorbike unfotunately at a street with parking restictions.

But what a surprise at the Mai Ping Police station, they charged me a 400,= thb. fine.

Thais friends told me that the regular police ticket for such a ,,criminal parking misbehaviour,, is

I went back to the Mai Ping station to complain. As I already expected a useless action and waste of time. The aswer was that I should not worry as long as the fine is not yet 400,= USD.

Comming and living in Chiang Mai for over 20 years I see my sympaty for Thailand slowly melting away. Now it even looks like Chiang Mai police turns to Pattaya style. Thsi does not make it any better.

Amazing Thailand.

Hey, in 1995, I was fined 400 baht for exactly the same thing on Thapae rd.. No big deal then, nor now...

Lucky he didn't check on your license or it would have been 600 ole mate. Missus has been had twice in the past for no license (200 a time) and she can speak Thai believe it or not. Another reason to get one me thinks. :D

I still have my old, expired, DL for those times :D

I have some empathy for OP, in that it sucks to get the chain-boot period... regardless of country or era. I got the boot not more than two weeks ago. It was one of those wacky "even-odd days" roads (which I would love to know the rationale behind, just for curiousity's sake), which I would argue can be confusing for more than just tourists, not being too handy with dates and all.

Went to the station and paid the 200B fine... wondering if I was just lucky?

I have some empathy for OP, in that it sucks to get the chain-boot period... regardless of country or era. I got the boot not more than two weeks ago. It was one of those wacky "even-odd days" roads (which I would love to know the rationale behind, just for curiousity's sake), which I would argue can be confusing for more than just tourists, not being too handy with dates and all.

Yes, I have read that each station can charge basically whatever they want, up to, as I recall, 10,000 baht.

Which station? The one on Ratchadamnoen Rd in the old city collects 400B.

Finaly some real wise guy's with experience and no BS talk.

I also met a tourist at the police station who was charges thb 600,= for the same ,, crime,,

It's not about money, it's not about your kind of motorbick, it's about a change in mentality of the CM Pol. and its seems like a very few are willing understand this. :o

Which station? The one on Ratchadamnoen Rd in the old city collects 400B.

That's the same station I paid my 400B 10 years ago.

Amazing Thailand.

My girlfriend (Thai girlfriend) had the same thing happen to her ... same price 400 baht. There is NO mistaking her for anything but what she is.. a thai national. so...

:o

Thanks for all you excelent reactions, wise guy's lessons and advises, I have never been fined in 20 years time, so never payed attention to the amount of a fine. My chopper was parked very close to a small sidewalk and bothering no one at all. ,,No parking sign,, out of view.

It might be a subject for another topic but if you realy think they love you that much, look at recent changes from the immigration. And there will be much more to follow. Please be realistic Thailand is a nice place to stay, but it's not heaven. Comparing to 20 years ago there has changed a lot for the worst. The best years have pased by already. So do not be ashamed to keep your eyes open wide and poster your criticts. :o

So....in 20 years you've now been fined the grand total of 400 baht....and you're bitchin about it............ :D

I guess you're right.....things going downhill fast...... :D

I also met a tourist at the police station who was charges thb 600,= for the same ,, crime,,

It's not about money, it's not about your kind of motorbick, it's about a change in mentality of the CM Pol. and its seems like a very few are willing understand this. :D

Not quite sure what you are saying here.

I've been 23 years with a car and motorbike in Thailand with a total of less than 1,500 baht to the police. Mind you I never speed, drive or ride dangerously and always park legally. :o

It's not about money, it's not about your kind of motorbick, it's about a change in mentality of the CM Pol. and its seems like a very few are willing understand this. :D

I've been 23 years with a car and motorbike in Thailand with a total of less than 1,500 baht to the police. Mind you I never speed, drive or ride dangerously and always park legally. :o

:D:D:D

That's 65 baht per annum........No complaints. I love the Thai Police system. :D

Edited by Blinky Bill

I think that he knows Blinky Bill personally. :D:D

It's not about money, it's not about your kind of motorbick, it's about a change in mentality of the CM Pol. and its seems like a very few are willing understand this.

:D:D

I think that he knows Blinky Bill personally. :D:D

Oh :D:D

I seem to remember a rather expensive diving watch that changed hands when discussing the Thai laws on drinking and driving with a member of the constabulary :D

One more report to confirm that it's 400 baht... My wife's car got chained, then she went to pay at the police station. This was when parking at a bus stop cleverly disguised as a Motorola phone. We have vowed to charge the amount back to Motorola by never buying another of their phones for as long as we live. :D

So anyway... Let's stop flogging a dead fox. I would have loved to see the scene at the police station though, the faranglish monologue like 'you say farang pay 400 but khon thai they get 100... etc etc.'

But then when informed that it's actually 400 for all, then came the very strong counter with 'you think they like you just look at the immigration rules'. ............

As for:

"While it might be nice to compare today with 20 years ago, "

Keep firmly in mind that not only Thailand changes in 10-20 years, *YOU* (and me) ALSO change in 10-20 years, perhaps even more so than Thailand did. We are not the same people we were when we first came to Thailand 10 years ago. (Or in some people's cases, 100 years ago. :o:D