Sheffield United

soihok

How cruel can football be.

Sad to see any Yorkshire side going down and now no Yorkshire representation in the premiership. I saw them relegated in 76 when they were pants all season and got what they deserved. This time they were just pants for most of it, but its a seasons effort that counts and as the saying goes " the table dosn't lie". Can West Ham say the same ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to agree Highchol,, sometimes the pants were in the driving seat but most of the time the pants were struggling to stay at the waist,,,,and sometimes the pants were well and truely ripped down and tugged up and over in an emmbarrasing manner.If you get my drift.

In a last comment on the game....Ironically,David Unsworth left to Wigan on a free transfer earlier this year,,the penalty he took for the Blades last year against Blackburn(in Sheffield) was shocking....he did,nt score.But he managed to do it to put the Blades down on Saturday....now is that Karma or what?

Thanks for the commsurations.

Cheers

Neil Warnock and Sheffield United have parted company as from today.

This comes as no great surprise as we all know the end to the premiership for Sheff U would result in a new begining next season.

Obviously Neil does,nt want to go there and has decided to leave on good terms with the club.

I think that he has done a cracking job for the many years that he has been at Bramall Lane and as a fan I say Good on yer Neil and thanks for the ride!

Incidentally,,I grew up in a village that Neil used to live in. Todwick is on the outskirts of Sheffield and I,m proud to say that I used to deliver milk to his house before going to school.I remember him from the local boozer (The Red Lion),and my Mum was in Neils ,ladies keep fit classes at the village hall.

I,m sure that you,ll all sleep better tonight with knowing that info.

I dont know who will take over at the Lane,but they are going to have to follow in the footsteps of a giant of a Blade.

Chris

Neil Warnock and Sheffield United have parted company as from today.

This comes as no great surprise as we all know the end to the premiership for Sheff U would result in a new begining next season.

Obviously Neil does,nt want to go there and has decided to leave on good terms with the club.

I think that he has done a cracking job for the many years that he has been at Bramall Lane and as a fan I say Good on yer Neil and thanks for the ride!

Incidentally,,I grew up in a village that Neil used to live in. Todwick is on the outskirts of Sheffield and I,m proud to say that I used to deliver milk to his house before going to school.I remember him from the local boozer (The Red Lion),and my Mum was in Neils ,ladies keep fit classes at the village hall.

I,m sure that you,ll all sleep better tonight with knowing that info.

I dont know who will take over at the Lane,but they are going to have to follow in the footsteps of a giant of a Blade.

Chris

I'm going to miss 'Colin' even though his constant moaning stretched peoples patience at times. :o I think he got found out at this level but I hope he learns from his experience and comes back. Would you have Paul Jewell despite his past with the 'Wendies' I think it would be a good move and he seems good at unearthing the right players for not much money(Heskey aside -although even he has his moments). I Like the story about the ladies keep fit class. Warnock in Lycra :D What a shocking thought :D:D

What I cannot fathom is that Warnock says he wants to stay managing in the EPL

Well HIS team just got relegated...and HE was the manager. So HE must shoulder the blame

Who is going to want him? !!

I cannot see a queue of clubs in line to sign him as manager

What I cannot fathom is that Warnock says he wants to stay managing in the EPL

Well HIS team just got relegated...and HE was the manager. So HE must shoulder the blame

Who is going to want him? !!

I cannot see a queue of clubs in line to sign him as manager

i dont think there will be a queue of premiership clubs waiting for him but i do believe there will be a lot of ambitious championship clubs interested. He has a good track record.

He is not everones cup of tea i know, but like him or loathe him I think deep down that alot of fans ( even wendies ) would secretly admire his dedication to his cause. The bloke wears his heart on his sleeve. I think football needs the odd one or two like colin. He will be missed for sure .......after all who else are we gonna throw our pies at?

Bryan Robson(he of England captain,West Brom,profitable plops "I did" fame)is the new Sheff U manager.

Not too sure what to make of it yet,,,,we will have to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad state of affairs,Phil Jags,,,does,nt hold back in his hurry to leave United. If the b###er had,nt tried to do a Paddy Kenny and handle the ball which gave way to a David Unsworth penalty to put the Blades down,,,he would still be in Premiership football.

Blood and sand is all I can say say.

Mrs soihok says he is" ding dong"what ever that means.

• 2 weeks later...

"Campaign for fairness"

All about playing the game.

I stand by the fact that we were,nt good enough but we did,nt do a dirty.

How mad is it that Tevez scored the goal that sealed our fate(other than David Unsworth)((and Phil "bloody " Jags hand ball))

Well ,, Sean Bean is on our team so we are bound for victory.

What a mess :o

"Campaign for fairness"

How mad is it that Tevez scored the goal that sealed our fate(other than David Unsworth)((and Phil "bloody " Jags hand ball))

You went down because you blew it. This "campaign for fairness" is just straw clutching. West Ham were penalised for making an agreement with another company, that were in the process of buying out the club, not for fielding an ineligible player. It's not our fault if the penalty didn't suit 1 club.

Edited by tw25rw

the blades may be a bit down and a little blunted but my little hammer, anvil and stirup tell me that they will be soon having have some irons in the fire.. :o

If I was the head of the PL, I would be doing everything to keep Sheffield Utd out now. McCabe's campaign has seriously brought the game into disrepute.

"Campaign for fairness"

You went down because you blew it. This "campaign for fairness" is just straw clutching. West Ham were penalised for making an agreement with another company, that were in the process of buying out the club, not for fielding an ineligible player. It's not our fault if the penalty didn't suit 1 club.

Have to agree .

the blades may be a bit down and a little blunted but my little hammer, anvil and stirup tell me that they will be soon having have some irons in the fire.. :o

If I was the head of the PL, I would be doing everything to keep Sheffield Utd out now. McCabe's campaign has seriously brought the game into disrepute.

Sorry mate .....cobblers!!!!!

I can assure you that the PL are mighty pissed-off with the antics of the monkey MCcabe and took great delight in officially relegating Sheff Utd. Watch this space. It's Sheff United vs Colchester in August. Live with it.

I can assure you that the PL are mighty pissed-off with the antics of the monkey MCcabe and took great delight in officially relegating Sheff Utd. Watch this space. It's Sheff United vs Colchester in August. Live with it.

You sound like a nervous man . :D

Ok Ok Ok ,,,lets put things in perspective here.

This "campaign" is ultimately, to ensure that this kind of back hand ,,ducking and diving.....and breaking rules ,will not happen again.

For me,,,my heart broke when (our hero) Phil Jagielka tried to do a Paddy Kenny and brought Sheff Uniteds world crashing down around them.

Sheff United were elimated to the Championship by a gnats cock.

Unbelivalbly , that gnats cock was called Tevez......who was allowed to play in the Prem ,after Wesht Am were fined by the FA.

As we all know the FA stand by all their decsions and dont bend one bit.

So I see that what is going with fellow Blades supporters back in Sheffield has to be worth while to protect the likes of West Ham,ManU ,Blackpool,Plymouth and who ever.

If you feel that bending rules is ok,,thats you,re game.

Most people would like to be playing on level ground.......thanks.

I dont expect that the Blades fans in London will have any impact on the FA.

But if you dont say anything,,,nothing will be done.

Am I correct or not?

BTW Mr HH ,,,are you sure that you represent the view of the whole of the Premiership?

I'm firmly of the belief that West Ham should be deducted points. A 2 point deduction sounds about right and of course a refund of the £5.5 million fine :D

And to think that Sean Bean is fronting the Sheffield United campaign after he was allowed to star in the film Essex Boys.

They'll be some Essex Boys looking to take up matters with him if he's not careful :o

They'll be some Essex Boys looking to take up matters with him if he's not careful

I know who my money would be on in a toe-to-toe with Ray Winstone :D

1-0 to the Essex boys, 1-0 to the Essex boys.

I know that he's from Hackney, but still... :o

Unbelivalbly , that gnats cock was called Tevez......who was allowed to play in the Prem ,after Wesht Am were fined by the FA.

As we all know the FA stand by all their decsions and dont bend one bit.

AFAIK the FA had nothing to do with it. It was the Premier League administration. So the suggestions I have heard about Brooking being behind the decision are off the mark.

As I see it, and I am slightly biased, the agreement with MSI was there in case the takeover fell through, so they could take their players back and move on. We got no direct benefit unless the deal hinged on the agreement. I believe the agreement caused some behind the scenes disputes among the club hierarchy who were undecided about the legality and chose to cover it up, or who thought it would be a moot point if the takeover went through. So really, the breach itself may not have been that serious or necessary. When it all flared up Kia Joorabchian said that if the club had approached him, he would have sorted something out, so it could have been avoided.

As for whether a points deduction was appropriate, I would have to rely on the PL's judgement, and would have either way.

AFAIK the FA had nothing to do with it. It was the Premier League administration. So the suggestions I have heard about Brooking being behind the decision are off the mark.

That's totally correct. Sir Trev had no part to do with the decision to fine West Ham - he was not part of the decision making process.

Jeez, does anyone not think that MCcbaby would throw the matress out with the toys had that been the case ? :o

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry boys, it looks like it's all over.

From the BBC:-

Blades lose appeal on relegation

Sheffield United's bid to regain their Premiership status appears to be over after their bid to see West Ham docked points was dismissed.

An arbitration panel upheld the Premier League's decision not to dock the Hammers points over the signings of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Sheffield United launched an appeal after they went down on the last day of the season and West Ham stayed up.

West Ham had earlier been fined £5.5m for their handling of the duo's deals.

A statement on Sheffield United's website said: "We are obviously very disappointed by this conclusion.

"In particular, in circumstances where the tribunal recognised that the outcome of the decision turned out to be 'unfortunate in the extreme', and that Sheffield United have done nothing wrong to merit this outcome."

The Hammers were found guilty on 27 April of acting improperly and withholding vital documentation over the duo's ownership.

When Tevez and Mascherano were registered as players, West Ham failed to disclose that they had entered into an agreement with third-party companies.

The Blades had wanted the panel to order a new disciplinary commission to deal with the London club.

Sheffield United also lost another claim - made jointly with Fulham - that the Premier League should have forced West Ham to de-register Tevez.

A statement from the arbitration panel read: "The tribunal have found in favour of the FA Premier League on both issues and dismissed the claims of Sheffield United FC and Fulham FC."

The three-man panel, headed by retired High Court judge Sir Philip Otton, did not have the power to change West Ham's punishment but could have ordered a new independent commission to judge the case.

The ruling from the arbitration panel said Sheffield United would not normally have been allowed to dispute another club's punishment but that there were "exceptional circumstances" because of their relegation, which affected their membership of the Premier League.

The tribunal said they had "sympathy" with the Blades, while West Ham had been "deliberately deceitful" and yet remained in the Premier League.

But they said they could not rule that the independent commission's decision had been wrong to fine West Ham in the first place.

The panel's ruling stated: "The tribunal had much sympathy for Sheffield United's grievances.

"However, the tribunal had to apply the principles of judicial review and determine whether the decision was irrational or perverse.

"This is a very strict test and is very difficult to satisfy.

"It concluded that it was impossible for this tribunal to find that the decision was irrational or perverse."

The performances of Tevez in particular helped the Hammers string together an excellent run of results late in the season which moved them clear of the relegation zone.

Mascherano made less of an impact and moved to Liverpool during the January transfer window.

West Ham were still in danger of losing their Premiership status on the final day of the Premier League season depending on results, but Wigan's win at Sheffield United ensured it was the Blades who were condemned to relegation.

"We are happy that this matter is finally closed and all parties can now move on," said Hammers chairman Eggert Magnusson.

"The arbitration panel's decision is very clear and reflects what we have believed all along.

"West Ham United have been preparing for next season in the Premier League since the final whistle at Old Trafford in May and we will continue to do so.

"I would like to reiterate that Carlos Tevez is a registered West Ham United player with a playing contract that still has three years remaining on it, and that situation remains unchanged."

The decision of Sheffield United's appeal makes it all but certain that the Blades will be playing in the Championship next season.

In relation to Sheffield United's and Fulham's claim that the Premier League should have immediately terminated Tevez's registration, the tribunal ruled they had acted reasonably in allowing the Argentina striker to play in the last three games of the season.

A Premier League statement added: "The panel confirmed that throughout this complex and unprecedented case the Premier League followed the process laid out in our rules and behaved reasonably at all times.

"The panel also understood that this was a difficult situation, exacerbated by the fact that decisions were being made against the backdrop of the climax to the 2006-07 season."

• 2 weeks later...

Transfer news.

Following in the steps of Jagielka to Everton,Davis to Derby. Christian Nade has been bought by Hull City for approx.550,000 quid.

He would be best remembered at Sheff U for scoring the winning goal against Arsenal earlier this year.

David Sommeil ,French striker, looks to have failed in his move back to a French club and will stay put for now.

As a neutral in this matter, I don't see anything wrong with United's attempts to get themselves re-instated .

the suporters expect it , the shareholders demand it.

If it fails as it has appeared to...well at least McCabe cannot be faulted for taking it lying down. He has done everything he can and with the start of he season a mere three weeks away time is fast running out and complete chaos would now ensue if any other decision wre made. But if Unted were re-instated and there were 21 clubs in the EPL and four got relegated the team in 18th place would be crying "Foul" come the end of next season for sure so the saga would never really end.

If my club were in Sheffield's position I would expect our Chairman to do the same....who honestly would not?

But it looks like it has failed.

As I said I am ambilivant about this issue, but certainly would not be had it been Reading in Sheffield's situation.

As a neutral in this matter, I don't see anything wrong with United's attempts to get themselves re-instated .

If it fails as it has appeared to...well at least McCabe cannot be faulted for taking it lying down. He has done everything he can and with the start of he season a mere three weeks away time is fast running out and complete chaos would now ensue if any other decision wre made. But if Unted were re-instated and there were 21 clubs in the EPL and four got relegated the team in 18th place would be crying "Foul" come the end of next season for sure so the saga would never really end.

If my club were in Sheffield's position I would expect our Chairman to do the same....who honestly would not?

As I said I am ambilivant about this issue, but certainly would not be had it been Reading in Sheffield's situation.

You mean that every team that gets relegated should get reinstated because they simply weren't good enough - and in Sheffield United's case because they also couldn't beat a piss-poor Wigan? Do me a favour.

Anyway, who knows, maybe you can do the same amount of whinging if Reading get relegated at the end of next season. :o

You mean that every team that gets relegated should get reinstated because they simply weren't good enough - and in Sheffield United's case because they also couldn't beat a piss-poor Wigan? Do me a favour.

Anyway, who knows, maybe you can do the same amount of whinging if Reading get relegated at the end of next season. :D

You have an axe to grind I see : :o

I did not say what you say I said :D

I Merely stated that if you(or any other team ) were in Sheffield's United's position you would do the same. do you honestly thnk Dave Whelan would have let it rest had Wigan LOST that game...come on...........I have always been polite to you HH, why are you having a go at me for saying what I think? :D

I am sure though that we won't beat you 6-0 next year, but we certainly will not go down...wheras you have a whole new team to bed in and that will not be easy, but good luck anyway :D