German tourist dies from box jellyfish attack on Samui

webfact

German tourist dies from box jellyfish attack in Samui

12087022_10153680768668637_157311979_n-w

KOH SAMUI: -- A 20-year-old German tourist died and her friend was injured after she was stung by box jellyfish while swimming at night at Lamai beach in Samui Island last night.

Bophud station police investigator Pol Maj Udomsak Thappa said the police were alerted of the death of Ms Thies Saskia by Bangkok Samui hospital around midnight.

She suffered wounds on both legs, stomach, back and arms, the officer said.

Her friend identified as Jiovana Rassi, also a German tourist, received slight injury as she swam to rescue her friend after hearing she screamed while swimming in the sea in front of Lamai beach.

She is still at hospital for monitoring of the wound.

Investigation later revealed that both tourists checked in at a bungalow on Lamai beach.

Shortly later Bungalow employees heard loud scream from the beach, they rushed to the source of the sound and saw both tourists in the sea.

They cried in pains with wounds believed to be stung by box jellyfishes on their bodies.

They were given primary care by rescue workers of Samui municipal rescue centre with vinegar to relieve their pains, and later rushed to Bangkok Samui hospital.

But Ms Thies Saskia died later from the deadly poisons.

The body of the dead tourist will be flown to Police General Hospital in Bangkok this morning for autopsy.

Jet Ski club president Withaya Suksom, said he was alerted of a large number of box jellyfishes in the sea of Lamai beach by residents and club members yesterday.

He immediately coordinated with the marine police and also asked jet skiers to go out warning tourists swimming in the water to stay off the sea.

Besides he also sought cooperation from all bungalow and hotel operators to put up warning signs on the beach and advise tourists not to swim in the sea during this period.

He said he never expected the incident would happen at night.

The box jellyfish is one of the world’s most toxic animals and its stings usually cause victims to die quickly and in agony.

A French boy aged five years old died on Koh Phangan from box jellyfish stings in August last year.

Experts say that the only treatment for box jellyfish is common vinegar. The vinegar does nothing to dull the pain but it does combat the toxicity. Without vinegar, the jellyfish stings continue to attack and destroy the victim’s flesh.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/german-tourist-dies-from-box-jellyfish-attack-in-samui

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-07

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jellyfish Kill German Tourist on Koh Samui
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

14441988391444198913l.jpg
Lamai Beach on Koh Samui in a 2010 file photo. Photo: Anthony Spratt

SURAT THANI — Tourists on a popular resort island have been warned to stay out of the water after a German tourist was killed last night by box jellyfish.

Thies Saskia, 20, was swimming at night when she was stung, at which time an unidentified friend entered the water to help her and was also stung. Both women were taken to the hospital where Saskia was soon pronounced dead. Her friend was slightly injured.

“It was reported by our members today that there are many box jellyfish at Lamai Beach, so I coordinated with marine police and sent out our jet ski drivers to warn tourists to get out of the water,” said Witthaya Suksom, president of the Samui Jet Ski Club.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1444198839

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-07

I call BS on any warnings put out. This has been happening for years and the response is always the same, they try to keep quiet about it and do not tell tourists who might up sticks and go somewhere else. The most important thing in any such situation in Thailand is lets not do anything to upset the money supply. ie the tourist cash cow

"They were given primary care by rescue workers of Samui municipal rescue centre with vinegar to relieve their pains," - this is deeply disturbing as that is NOT what the vinegar is for....let's hope this is bad reporting and not bad training as regards the primary carers.

Were there signs on the beach and were there vinegar stations?

This is one of the most popular beaches in Thailand, in an area that is well within the region of box jellies - in Oz, there would be nets and the season clearly demarcated.

The more we hear of box jellies in Thailand, the more I'm reminded of the plot of "Jaws 1"

I went for my usual late swim off the most popular part of Lamai beach at about 6pm yesterday - there were no warnings - noticed about a half a dozen jet skis packing up for the day only about 50mtrs from where I jumped into the water, but nothing was said to me.

There have been a lot of reports of jelly fish past few months, so I have been very watchful both in and out (along the shoreline) of the water for any, but yesterday did not see anything.

Dodged a bullet for sure ...

1. Isn't zinc gluconate worth trying ?
  2. Google "box jellyfish zinc gluconate"

I don't know why Scientific American couldn't be linked to. If I'm incorrect mod, apologies and delete.

Don't Pee On It: Zinc Emerges As New Jellyfish Sting Treatment

By Christie Wilcox | December 12, 2012

Nothing can turn a fun day at the beach into a nightmare faster than a jellyfish sting, as Angel Yanagihara, researcher at the University of Hawaii, learned firsthand when she was swimming off Kaimana beach in 1997.....

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/dont-pee-on-it-zinc-emerges-as-new-jellyfish-sting-treatment/

Summary: The toxin create holes in red blood cells that then leak potassium into the blood stream which can lead to cardiac arrest. Zinc Gluconate looks promising and has been used topically on a long distance swimmer attempting a Cuba to Florida swim through box jelly fish swarms.

Excellent article. 555

I don't know why Scientific American couldn't be linked to. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/science-sushi/dont-pee-on-it-zinc-emerges-as-new-jellyfish-sting-treatment/

If I'm incorrect mod, apologies and delete.

This all came out about 3 years ago.....but I haven't read or heard a thing since. There is a possibility that it hasn't lived up to expectations, is still undergoing research before trials or the press simply got it wrong, which wouldn't be the first time on matters scientific.

So why would someone go to Samui without being able to actually swim in the sea? I can swim in a swimming pool in Bangkok, too. This is what they are afraid of so I do not expect any big campaign but rather a huge effort to sweep it under the carpet.

So why would someone go to Samui without being able to actually swim in the sea? I can swim in a swimming pool in Bangkok, too. This is what they are afraid of so I do not expect any big campaign but rather a huge effort to sweep it under the carpet.

Definitely they kill more people than shark attacks. Wouldn't stop me from swimming in the ocean though. Living life to it's fullest is full of risks. "You pays your money and you takes your chances", as the old saying goes.

Kinda dull headline "bix jellyfish attack" like a jellyfish would purposedly swim towards a person and attack her...

"Believed to..." it could also have ben a Man-of-War jellyfish, who knows?

West coast seems to be safe when looking at disribution maps...

RIP to the victim and fast recovery to the 2nd swimmer. Tragic, but this kind of stuff happens every day all over the world. More people get killed while bowling or even changing light bulbs at home.

This is really tragic. RIP

But it's the second time that the victim get stung swimming in the dark. Does anyone know if the box jellyfish goes out mostly at night?

Maybe there should be signs warning people not to go swimming after dark as you cannot see what's in the water?

Just let this be a warning to all tourists keep out of the sea in pattaya its full of jellyfish and plus its filthy

This has nothing to do with Pattaya- as far as I am aware there are no reports of jellyfish.

Why is it that there are a certain cohort of members that bash Pattaya at EVERY possible moment ( probably going out every day to see how their tapioca plants have grown)

So young, popular beach, nature bites you back.

A bit of seaweed, some non threatening jellyfish- OK - if there is a chance of death- this should be broadcast to all and sundry - to hell with TAT

I see the cynical TV brigade are out in force on this one!

Those pesky tour operators and business owners are conspiring to exspose their valued customers in the persuit of a few extra Baht, haven't we heard all this before?

It is not unusual for Box Jellyfish to be in Thai waters at this time of the year, yes signage would be preferrable but lets be honest, how many people would read tham and act on it?

For the few negative people who weren't told about the hazard, I am sure there were many more that were told.

There are many hazards out there in the open water, there will always be a chance of a tragedy like this. It's heart breaking for this young woman's family and friends, to lose a loved one like this would be horrendous but is anyone actually to blame?

Commiserations and condolences to her family and friends...

This is very painful for me to read this as my friend passed away on July 31st in Koh Phagan at the Full Moon party after being stung by a box jellyfish. Thailand need to do something about that it's been going on for years now. I hope this girl didn't suffer for long. I wish my condoleances to her family and friends, this is a terrible tragedy

I call BS on any warnings put out. This has been happening for years and the response is always the same, they try to keep quiet about it and do not tell tourists who might up sticks and go somewhere else. The most important thing in any such situation in Thailand is lets not do anything to upset the money supply. ie the tourist cash cow

Really, wonder how i was warned on my first visit, oh, by some Thais, telling me so......................

So sorry to hear this sad news.

I'm not saying this would have saved this girl's life, but here's what I do to neutralize the poison in jellyfish stings and insect stings (e.g., bees, wasps, hornets, etc.).

I topically apply either bruised papaya tree leaves, or the pulped flesh of green (unripe) papaya fruit, or meat tenderizer. The leaves and green fruit are high in the protein-digesting enzyme papain, and meat tenderizer is mostly pure papain which is derived from the papaya tree.

Jellyfish and insect venoms are made mostly of protein, and when papain comes into contact with those venoms they're rendered harmless.

A bottle of meat tenderizer is commonly found in the kits of EMTs (Emergency Medical Technicians), which they use to tread venomous stings. [/size]

Bruised papaya leaf and green papaya fruit have also traditionally been applied to infected wounds or ulcerations to enzymatically debride dead and festering tissue.

Bruised papaya leaves are also used to tenderize raw meats. Wrap the bruised leaf around the meat or fish and let it sit for 1 or 2 hours before cooking.

In university my biology teacher, who was doing his PhD research on jellyfish, kept several bottles of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer on his lab benches to tread the inevitable stings.

Here in Thailand my wife prepares almost daily som tam salad which many of you know. For those who don't, it's made from shredded green papaya fruit flesh, lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, tomato and peanuts ... and is often garnished with fresh boa bok (Centella asiatica) and other raw greens. (And there are many variations.) It's the perfect, digestive-enzyme-rich salad to enhance digestion. Especially when eating high-protein foods like fish, shrimp, beef, pork, chicken, tofu, etc.

Ripe papaya covered with lime juice is also the perfect low-calorie desert. However, the ripe fruit contains no papain because as the papaya fruit ripens it contains less and less papain enzyme.

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." Hippocrates

Lifeguards determined years ago the box jellyfish cycle and it looks like it pertains to Thailand as this month the dates at 6-7-8 - Google hawaii jellyfish calendar

This calendar is for Hawaii. How do you know it also applies to Thailand?

Archived