German tourist dies from box jellyfish attack on Samui

webfact

Rip. Hopefully they will put up warning signs and monitor the situation until its safe to swim there again.

Warning signs? That would be a show of concern for tourists. And it would demonstrate a concern for public safety. Has anyone on this forum ever seen any sign of that on Samui? Having lived there for ten years, I never once saw a public official on Samui demonstrate any concern whatsoever for public, much less tourist safety. Never once.

still continuing your constant Samui bashing, I see....coffee1.gifbah.gif

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a number signs around Samui about Jellyfish in general .... one on Chawang Beach, another near Maenam Lomprayah ferry terminal...I can't remember off hand but seen a few more..... (obviously there could be more)

Sadly though how can they check as to whether or not they are in any particular area until something actually happens ?

In other previous discussions on this I have posted images and locations...

" Sadly though how can they check as to whether or not they are in any particular area until something actually happens ? " - a rather silly thing to say - jellyfish re all around the region, so the signs should be too?

the truth is that the signs are just stuck anywhere on a whim with no palnning - there isn't even a universal design....and such things as vinegar stations are left derelict as are the signs.

Sorry to disagree with you, but obviously you have not seen or read the signs....all the ones I have seen are all the same, so I don't know where you have seen these signs just stuck anywhere with no planning ....(I did say there should be more of them)

There also some around Koh Phangan,

There is a lot of information on them in both Thai and English and are in reasonably good order...

IMG_8475.JPG

.... I will agree that there is usually no vinegar at these stations, but vinegar is cheap to buy and to have a bottle would not be difficult to carry in a carry bag, and would also be at any resort or restaurant kitchen usually near by...

One could just as well post signs around everywhere warning there may be venomous snakes just about anywhere in Thailand... or anywhere in the world for that matter...

3 litre bottles of white vinegar is about 60 baht, at any of the large stores, easy to size down to a smaller bottle.... just in case..

Also plenty of signs saying "Wear Helmet 100%" .... how many people take notice of those? ....

Red flags during rough seas, plenty of people disregard those warning too...

Signs where there is road constructing too, all for the most part ignored with speeding drivers both Thai and farang... sad.png

I do have sympathy for the victims and their families any lose of life or serious injury is never good how ever caused ...

It looks to me as if you are being deliberately contrary......

You have put up a photo of one sign on a beach Now where would I start.?

Firstly you say that obviously I haven’t seen it. YES!!! That’s the point! Despite being on the beach on Samui for over week last year.

Secondly and I mentioned it earlier, I’m not sure if you understand this but warning signs follow an international code - Google the signs for Australia,

The graphics on that sign are quite frankly deplorable.

You describe the conditions reasonable” which also suggests it was not ver y good

How many are there?

Are they positioned correctly? If the usual Thai road signs are anything to go by the answer is a resounding no.

If someone had presented that sign to be I would have thrown out the sign and probably sacked the designer.

It looks to me like a sign carefully designed to confuse; presented not to look like a warning and with WAY too much scribbling all over it. A sign that is in fact criminally ineffective

Oooops. Sorry. I did not mean to single-out Australia.

I just meant that any location (island or coastline) that is totally

dependent on

1. Lots of Tourists

2. Coastline Activities (scuba, snorkel, tour boat, jet ski, etc.)

Is going to have unfortunate incidents and accidents. It's just part of the deal.

We really know nothing about the ocean. It's still a complete mystery to us.

Bless those women.

It would appear life is a mystery to you...and logic.....these deadly animals pose a threat to tourism. In countries like Australia the authorities take the wlefare of tourists seriously and put in place measures to protect theor customers from these kind of things 0 one doesn't expect to pay for one's holiday with one's life.

Thailand has shown little or no genuine concern and appear to be balancing loss of life against profit with scant regard for the fate of their punters and their families and friends.

@Loeilad Strange as it may seem these animals were around long before tourists came on the scene. If you go into there territory which we all do dont think they, the animal life, will make concessions they wont.

Your attitude is that these animals have no right to be there but they do. Dont like it stay out of the water.

@Loeilad Strange as it may seem these animals were around long before tourists came on the scene. If you go into there territory which we all do dont think they, the animal life, will make concessions they wont.

Your attitude is that these animals have no right to be there but they do. Dont like it stay out of the water.

WhatI think you better read some of my posts as I have said no such thing EVER!

"If you don't like it stay out of the water" is possibly the most facile comment I've read so far.

"If you don't like it stay out of the water" is possibly the most facile comment I've read so far.

You don't like it I don't really care. You have to understand it is their home and it isn't yours. You play by their rules not the other way around. Incidentally the tourist industry is not the be all and end all despite what you think. Take precautions of course and things such as nets may well be useful but at the end of the day you are still a guest in the water.

In reply to Herbaled:-

I've been a very regular visitor to Thailand for 30-plus years and have been living here 9 months/year for the past 5 years. I have a home in Hua Hin and regularly visit my condo in BKK, Suk. Soi 10. I have no stats but it does not appear to me that tourism is down from normal this time of year.

That's what I see. Your experience obviously varies.

Nice to see a sensible reply without sarcasm! I think it obviously varies from place to place. Bangkok always seems busy to me, and Hua Hin seems to be getting more popular as a tourist destination, so maybe more people are going there to the detriment of other areas like Koh Samui, Phuket, and Koh Tao (for more obvious reasons!)

There are a number signs around Samui about Jellyfish in general .... one on Chawang Beach, another near Maenam Lomprayah ferry terminal...I can't remember off hand but seen a few more..... (obviously there could be more)

Sadly though how can they check as to whether or not they are in any particular area until something actually happens ?

" Sadly though how can they check as to whether or not they are in any particular area until something actually happens ? " - a rather silly thing to say - jellyfish re all around the region, so the signs should be too?

the truth is that the signs are just stuck anywhere on a whim with no palnning - there isn't even a universal design....and such things as vinegar stations are left derelict as are the signs.

Sorry to disagree with you, but obviously you have not seen or read the signs....all the ones I have seen are all the same, so I don't know where you have seen these signs just stuck anywhere with no planning ....(I did say there should be more of them)

There is a lot of information on them in both Thai and English and are in reasonably good order...

IMG_8475.JPG

.... I will agree that there is usually no vinegar at these stations, but vinegar is cheap to buy and to have a bottle would not be difficult to carry in a carry bag, and would also be at any resort or restaurant kitchen usually near by...

One could just as well post signs around everywhere warning there may be venomous snakes just about anywhere in Thailand... or anywhere in the world for that matter...

3 litre bottles of white vinegar is about 60 baht, at any of the large stores, easy to size down to a smaller bottle.... just in case..

Also plenty of signs saying "Wear Helmet 100%" .... how many people take notice of those? ....

Signs where there is road constructing too, all for the most part ignored with speeding drivers both Thai and farang... sad.png

I do have sympathy for the victims and their families any lose of life or serious injury is never good how ever caused ...

Thanks Jimmy, I know the signs and am aware that there are a few around, however not enough and not with an accompanying vinegar station. I'm also not sure how visible they are. so to where they are exactly located. It's indeed the same sign as the one that is being used on Koh Phangan.

More awareness and prevention are key in preventing tragedies like the one just happened.

This year alone, supposedly 12 encounters with box jelly fish have been registered!

You don't like it I don't really care. You have to understand it is their home and it isn't yours. You play by their rules not the other way around. Incidentally the tourist industry is not the be all and end all despite what you think. Take precautions of course and things such as nets may well be useful but at the end of the day you are still a guest in the water.

Have you actually read anything I've written??? You just seem determined to engage in baseless gainsaying. Why not try and address something I have ACTUALLY posted?

Sensationalism at it worst. Box jellyfish and indeed any other jellyfish don't go around attacking people as the headline suggests. If the writer doesn't understand this then get rid of him.

If you are swimming and happen to come into contact with a jellyfish you may well get stung. Box jellyfish are very dangerous but difficult to see in the water. But the concept of jellyfish attacking you is ridiculous.

Perhaps you'd care to suggest a word to replace attack.... Seeing as you feel so well informed on jellyfish behaviour?

I learned my lesson in Indonesia when I got sting by a dozen "Sea Wasps" all over my back..........I carry a bottle of Vinigar when I go to the beach.......have had to use it several times - on other people.

Growing up with Portugueze Man of War stings, always peed in my hands and rubbed it on the stings - it worked. I have read some people saying "don't pee on it!!" Life guards where I grew up has ammonia on hand for jellyfish stings, so whatever works - use it.thumbsup.gif

I learned my lesson in Indonesia when I got sting by a dozen "Sea Wasps" all over my back..........I carry a bottle of Vinigar when I go to the beach.......have had to use it several times - on other people.

Growing up with Portugueze Man of War stings, always peed in my hands and rubbed it on the stings - it worked. I have read some people saying "don't pee on it!!" Life guards where I grew up has ammonia on hand for jellyfish stings, so whatever works - use it.thumbsup.gif

Box jelly stings are not the same as other jellyfish........The Box Jelly isn't even a regular jellyfish the vinegar is NOT to ease pain it is to paralyse the venom injections......rubbing ANYTHING even vinegar is considered highly dangerous.

you POUR the vinegar onto the tentacles still attached before pulling them off - I hope to

god that is what the poster did or he/she would have made the situation a whole lot worse.

Nature can be a mortal bitch - seems many people have forgotten that.

Remember the Tsunami?

If you want 100% safety go to Disneyworld or stay in your house (although there are many dangers lurking there also).

Just saying

Remember the Tsunami?

If you want 100% safety go to Disneyworld or stay in your house (although there are many dangers lurking there also).

Just saying

sorry but that seems are rather facile take on the issue.

no-one is suggesting 100% safety. What we ARE suggesting is that the Thai authorities take the matter seriously and take reasonable steps to inform the public of the reality of the situation and take precautions for public safety in the same way other governments have already done - noticeably in Australia.

Remember the Tsunami?

Just saying

no-one is suggesting 100% safety. What we ARE suggesting is that the Thai authorities take the matter seriously and take reasonable steps to inform the public of the reality of the situation and take precautions for public safety in the same way other governments have already done - noticeably in Australia.

I've been to Australia. Most parts of the coast don't have any safety-nets against sharks/jellyfish/... . Every year a few people are killed by Crocs in Kakadu national park (ok maybe not every year but it happens). Nobody holds your hand at Cape Tribulation.

The only point I agree is there could be more warning signs in Thailand, for drowning and now (new phenomenon) jellyfish.

Thailand is not a nanny state.

Remember the Tsunami?

Just saying

I've been to Australia. Most parts of the coast don't have any safety-nets against sharks/jellyfish/... . Every year a few people are killed by Crocs in Kakadu national park (ok maybe not every year but it happens). Nobody holds your hand at Cape Tribulation.

The only point I agree is there could be more warning signs in Thailand, for drowning and now (new phenomenon) jellyfish.

Thailand is not a nanny state.

OK - now this is getting silly - ...I'm a banana bender and in our state we have Box Jellies, sharks and crocs (and Irukandji Jellies too - we also have some of the world's leading researchers on the subject.

I can also tell you that the beaches are signed about Box Jellies and the creeks are signed about crocs! They also have lifeguards on the more popular beaches who are FULLY trained in primary care.

In the jelly season you will see people wearing pantyhose or nowadays stinger suits........

Calling the jellyfish a “new thing” is also has little foundation in reality at all - it just indicates that you aren’t up to speed on this topic.. just because you’ve only just heard about it doesn’t mean it wasn’t there before.

if you go out into the bush or some of the great outdoors there is PLENTY of literature on how to keep safe and what to avoid when it comes to wildlife - can you show me ONE piece of literature like that in Thailand? no of course not...they just haven't got a grasp on the situation at all.........

Thailand's economy is in slowdown at the moment and the only sector that is doing well is the tourist trade which makes up about 10% of the nations economy and if they get a reputation for NOT showing a duty of care towards their customers they will lose them. People are simply not interested in going to a destination where they are in danger of risking their life when they go swimming.

Quite frankly if you resort to clichés like “nanny state” it seems to me that you really don’t have an argument at all.

This seem to me to be ultimate solution to jellyfish protection! Has anybody tried this?:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/safe-sea-jellyfish-sting-preventer-sunblock-combo-promises-protection-both-stings-and-uv-305002

“It didn’t completely inhibit the stings, but it came pretty darn close,” - Sound good enough for me

This will absolutely not help with box jelly fish stings. P{lease feel free to test this on yourself but don't promote it to other people.

Vinegar is the only advised primary care item to use with box jelly fish stings. As already mentioned plenty of times in this thread, the vinegar doesn't relief the pain but it stops the stingers from firing off more venom into the wounds.

NOTHING ELSE works.

This seem to me to be ultimate solution to jellyfish protection! Has anybody tried this?:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/safe-sea-jellyfish-sting-preventer-sunblock-combo-promises-protection-both-stings-and-uv-305002

“It didn’t completely inhibit the stings, but it came pretty darn close,” - Sound good enough for me

This will absolutely not help with box jelly fish stings. P{lease feel free to test this on yourself but don't promote it to other people.

Vinegar is the only advised primary care item to use with box jelly fish stings. As already mentioned plenty of times in this thread, the vinegar doesn't relief the pain but it stops the stingers from firing off more venom into the wounds.

NOTHING ELSE works.

This is not what I read:

Does Safe-Sea® protect swimmers against all types of jellyfish and sea lice?

Yes, Safe-Sea® eliminates stinging cells discharge and prevents skin penetration by the cnidaria sting mechanism. There are 15,000 specimens of jellyfish, coral hydroids and anemones and their toxins content is highly variable, but they share 30 types of stinging cells with same mode of action. Safe-Sea® inactivates the stinging mechanism and is therefore designed to work for all types. Trials have shown it to be effective against toxic jellyfish from different types.

Was Safe-Sea® tested against many types of jellyfish?

Safe-Sea® is the only product which has been tested and proven to be effective against jellyfish stings. This includes clinical tests under double blind conditions in several medical centers against several types of jellyfish. These clinical tests were conducted on Sea Nettle in Stanford Hospital University, Box Jellyfish in Bert Fish Medical Center in Florida, and Rhopilema (toxic Mediterranean jellyfish) in Rambam Hospital, Israel. All tests demonstrated that that Safe-Sea® provides effective protection against jellyfish stings. Other tests conducted by an independent Japanese team indicated that Safe-Sea® provides protection against Blue Bottle, Sea Wasp and Box Jellyfish (clinical test reports can be provided on request). These tests indicate that Safe-Sea® is effective against even the most dangerous jellyfish.

What I have understood from what I read about this is that it greatly reduces the severity of jelly stings in general but it is not specifically teated against the Thai Box jelly variant.

But how do you know that "This will absolutely not help with box jelly fish stings"?? Have you tested that or heard about others that has??

And I don't "promote" it. I just wonder if peoply have tried it because it would be a very good solution if it worked. Wearing a stinger suit or staying out of the water is not imho

Because of research and various warnings from well known Australian researchers regarding this and other products that claim things that are not true in respect to box jelly fish.

As I said before, by all means try it on your self in the very unlikely event you ever get stung by box jelly fish, but please refrain from promoting such insane ideas and false promises that can cause death because of the wrong treatment being delivered.

This can be found on the Thailand box jelly fish blog

"New cream??!! This stuff's been around for years - and it still doesn't work! Safesea was introduced to Thailand in 2008 and exploited the wave of concern regarding the 'discovery' of box jellyfish here. It made false claims then and still does. It has not - still - been proven to work against box jellyfish or man o war/bluebottles and for other species it could be 50-70% effective, is this enough? Once again, why make the claims without the proof? Why not just prove it? Go on Nidaria, you too, do some tests on box jellyfish and bluebottles before making such grand claims about protecting innocent, unsuspecting people against ALL jellyfish and giving them a false sense of security when there is no efficacy, no proof, none."

Because of research and various warnings from well known Australian researchers regarding this and other products that claim things that are not true in respect to box jelly fish.

As I said before, by all means try it on your self in the very unlikely event you ever get stung by box jelly fish, but please refrain from promoting such insane ideas and false promises that can cause death because of the wrong treatment being delivered.

This can be found on the Thailand box jelly fish blog

"New cream??!! This stuff's been around for years - and it still doesn't work! Safesea was introduced to Thailand in 2008 and exploited the wave of concern regarding the 'discovery' of box jellyfish here. It made false claims then and still does. It has not - still - been proven to work against box jellyfish or man o war/bluebottles and for other species it could be 50-70% effective, is this enough? Once again, why make the claims without the proof? Why not just prove it? Go on Nidaria, you too, do some tests on box jellyfish and bluebottles before making such grand claims about protecting innocent, unsuspecting people against ALL jellyfish and giving them a false sense of security when there is no efficacy, no proof, none."

"please refrain from promoting such insane ideas and false promises that can cause death because of the wrong treatment being delivered" -jeeez, are you actually saying that jelli protection in a sun screen can kill...?

If this gives you, let's say 30% less "damage" from a box jelli sting and more on other jellifish why not use a sunscreen with jellifish protection instead of one without when you need sunscreen anyway?? And stop accusing me of promoting this product, I just asked for people's experiences unlike you who just seems to know it all. So please send me some links that this product has absolutly no effect on box jellies as you claim or keep quit if you have no idea

IMG_8475.JPG

Thanks Jimmy, I know the signs and am aware that there are a few around, however not enough and not with an accompanying vinegar station. I'm also not sure how visible they are. so to where they are exactly located. It's indeed the same sign as the one that is being used on Koh Phangan.

More awareness and prevention are key in preventing tragedies like the one just happened.

This year alone, supposedly 12 encounters with box jelly fish have been registered!

those signs are utterly appalling!

... And this sums up the situation very well.

Yvonne from S. A.......

Oct 14, 2015, 10:50 AMf

Koh Lanta has had deaths. Phangan Bay has had deaths, Box jelly fish have been caught at the marina in Phuket ( lately) there are now traps and also some juveniles have been trapped- it is ongoing there. There was an incident in Nai Harn Beach and a Professional Diver barely survived diving near Koh Chang. He saw the Box Jelly fish in time and managed to get away but was stung on his hands,. This has always been a problem in these waters and the Fishermen will tell you so. They like to feed at sunset and lights attract them. If their are hotel lights ashore and on Beach , they will be attracted to come closer to the lights at dust and at night. Do not Swim in the dark. . Some species you cannot see in the water in sunshine either. Monsoon is the worse time for them it seems . Rough seas also bring them closer to shore. it is thought increased sea temperatures/climate change also have something to do with the Increase in Thailand lately.They also breed in lagoons and estuaries. Malaysia has also had incidents.Both my grandchildren are born in Phuket and they lived there for over 10 years. They are now 18 and 13 years old and since they were born, my son and daughter in Law were aware of Box Jelly Fish already. It is NOT a new phenomena at all. They were just fewer cases than other parts of the world, and generally many Thai people were not aware of box jelly fish etc, and many cases were NOT reported in less popular small islands where Thai people did die of "unknown" attack. In Some cases people do not make it to shore and die in the water. Also to protect TOURISM, which I think is a Crime, a lot of Publicity was not wanted ! NOW it is out in the open and suddenly there will be nets recommended and Vinegar stations, and at LAST FUNDS allocated for Marine Studies and Solutions and to verify the type of Box Jelly fish in Thai waters. and Hotels trained and Staff more informed. Malaysia has done some research. in January a yacht was moored there in the one bay at Langkawi. and the boat lights were on and about 5 bottle jelly fish were sighted around the yacht. There have been more than one Box jelly fish stings there. It should be taken very seriously. PLEASE google the following for your own safety and what transpires when somebody is stung. This was a 9 year old girl stung in January this year in Langkawi Island. Also read . gcgeorge.net/2015/. Dr GC George is a Medical Consultant General Surgeon in Malaysia, a wellknown Scuba diver and underwater photographer.

google www.. abc.net.au/health/2437041.htm

google : www. thaiboxjellyfish.blogspot.co.za - 12 incidents this year on KOH SAMUI

There have many deaths before on Islands in Asia. INCLUDING Thailand.! I hope by reading and googling as mentioned here it may saves Lives !!

Was near the end of Lamai beach yesterday for a massage, there are signs there (although not that many and they are not particularly prominent) but advise people not to swim between 6pm and 6am (nighttime).

The advise not to swim between 6pm and 6am is kind of misleading since it may imply that swimming on any other time is safe. Well, it isn't. Box jelly fish incidents happen during the day time as well.

Archived