Immigration Promenada One Stop Service v2

Tywais

It's a disgrace, and shameful. Jomtien process retirement visas, same day service without the need for visa-agents, even if you arrive mid-morning. Why the f*** hasn't the head-honcho here been held to task by the CM ex-pat club? (or if so, what was the response - and has it been followed up?

I'm sorry, I have no time for those who say if you don't like it, go elsewhere - or platitudes from the authorities. One person processing 20 RVs per day is NOT acceptable in CM.

Yes, there have been meetings between the head of CM Immigration and also his boss, the head of Region V and not just the lowly CM Expats Club, but also the local foreign consuls. Several meetings in fact. What you now see is the result. In other words, nothing has improved except the goats are gone and we have indoor waiting area, oh and the lights come on at 4 am and the toilets are opened at 6 am. All those are "enhancements" from the mall, incidentally, not Immigration.

The local consuls are becoming increasing frustrated. They're reading your emails. Please email your consuls and Embassies with your concerns. This is the best way to "go to Bangkok" to make yourself heard.

At least for now. The next step is to get the Ambassadors involved and they need to hear from YOU!

The local consul is not interested any more than is the CM Immigration Official.

Obvious you do not know the steps you have to take when talking to Countries that you have Embassy in

There is a protocol that has to be adhered too

You have to talk very diplomaticly about the problem

We can always have our Foreign Minister voice there concerns

The Country Foreign minister listens

Then it goes to the various Dept

Then all the shuffling around

We are only visiting resident here

We do not have much say

As the Old Saying Goes

Rome Was Not Built In A Day

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a disgrace, and shameful. Jomtien process retirement visas, same day service without the need for visa-agents, even if you arrive mid-morning. Why the f*** hasn't the head-honcho here been held to task by the CM ex-pat club? (or if so, what was the response - and has it been followed up?

I'm sorry, I have no time for those who say if you don't like it, go elsewhere - or platitudes from the authorities. One person processing 20 RVs per day is NOT acceptable in CM.

Rather than continuously complaining, why don't you go to Bangkok and make yourself heard?

Bangkok immigration is already aware of CM immigrations less than stellar operation. If you haven't noticed yet, they don't care. People posting on this site are making themselves heard by reporting the daily nonsense they experience at CM immigration.

I was at Immigration Promenada this morning to observe the queue ticket distribution for retirement extensions. High season is here.

They are still distributing just 20 tickets despite no longer having to service appointments made with the defunct on-line queue system.

Today 17 people in the retirement queue did not receive a queue number and they were told to come back tomorrow. Of course, they weren't given a queue ticket for tomorrow -- they were just told to come back. Some of the 17 protested rather firmly and said it was their second or third time at coming out early to get a queue ticket. The people turned away had arrived as early as 5:45 am.

I talked with a visa agent waiting in the queue. She told me that she had been turned away the previous day. She wasn't one of the "Lucky 20" A Visa Agent! She had arrived at 5 am yesterday. She said 22 people were turned away yesterday.

They still just have ONE officer processing retirement extensions.

The earliest arrival today came at 3 am. He said they don't turn on the exterior lights at Promenada until 4 am. This is a safety problem.

The visa agents all seem to arrive at 5 am. For those who think the visa agents have an unfair advantage -- consider this: With the exception of G4T (the visa agency next to the Immigration Promenada office that doesn't seem to need queue tickets) all other visa agents have to send someone to sit in the queue with us "retail" customers. One agent per customer. If they have three customers doing retirement extensions that day, then they have to send three people to sit in the queues. And they don't send one person and two bookbags, either. I arrived early and saw the visa agents sitting together. As if by prior agreement, they all arrive around 5 am. even from different companies.

So, if you want to be certain to get a queue ticket for a retirement extension, it looks like these are your options during High Season:

1. arrive at Immigration Promenada before 5 am

2. employ a reputable visa agent, with an office, website, office in town to send someone to go get a queue ticket for you

3. waltz in sometime in the morning and go see G4T, in the office next to the copy shop at Imm. Prom. They didn't have employees sitting in the retirement extension queue and several of the people turned away today when in to see them and were told that G4T could get them in for their retirement extensions today at 1 pm.

that is very correct, wife and i where there at 4 am and where first in both Q's before the agents even got there. and yes its very dark there, no lights but we had flash lights ,lol there really has to be a better way . seem's like they are trending to just agents. like russia . you can only get a visa threw an agent for that country. that would make there job easier and possible faster for all . who knows

It`s the same in Malaysia only the agents there are official and this is the system throughout the whole country not just 1 city. Can`t compare.

Is there a good videographer who can work in low light conditions, doesn't mind getting up early and is willing to get himself in trouble with Immigration? If so, please send me a PM. I've taken still photos of the early morning conditions that I've turned into PowerPoint presentations for the Consuls/Embassies and now for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but I'm an amateur and good, near-professional quality video might be more compelling.

Can't help you with the videographer but how would a silent ,peaceful protest go in front of the Promenada Imm office .Placards in Thai and English and mediaoutlets pre advised of course.A convoy of wheechairs would help the cause.

Social media is a powerful force these days, bound to go viral.

What's the worst that could happen ? deportation ,re education camp ,jail time ? or loss of face for them that would force them to act responsibly.

Plus keep writing as suggested to anyone you can think of,Ambassadors, Consul, Media.About to email the 2 major newspapers.

What could go wrong?

How about they ignore you. How about they say we will show you what real inconvenience is.

People tend to forget that at the airport when they were all going there people were still showing up early and being told to come back tomorrow. This is nothing new.

The best hope we have on the horizon is that the much maligned Ex Pat club can bring back the 200 baht day. I would at a guess think that Nancy is watching out for that option.

Is the Japanese still holding theirs?

This is like a mystery thriller that we can only guess what`s going to happen next and will there be a twist at the end.

We need information, we need some assurances, we need something and not continue to be treated in this insignificant way.

What is wrong with hiring a agent. Be a sport and pay 6000 Baht a year.

Well Henry, lets give this a little thought. Immigration discontinued their online queue, and is only processing 20 people a day for their one year visa extensions. In order to be selected as one of the lucky 20 people, you would have to report to immigration at zero dark thirty hours. The other alternative is to hire an agent.

I believe the answer to your question is people are being forced into hiring an agent due to the above mentioned scenario and there lays the problem. If you don't want to deal with immigration to satisfy immigration yearly requirements, and would rather hire an agent then there is nothing wrong with that. I as well as many others, resent being forced into hiring an agent for someone else's monetary gain.

Is there a good videographer who can work in low light conditions, doesn't mind getting up early and is willing to get himself in trouble with Immigration? If so, please send me a PM. I've taken still photos of the early morning conditions that I've turned into PowerPoint presentations for the Consuls/Embassies and now for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but I'm an amateur and good, near-professional quality video might be more compelling.

Regarding the short-lived Promenada-Retirement Extension Queue that got referred to this forum, but your observation from 11:52 is downright scary:

Yesterday, the first person arrived at 3 am. 17 people did not received queue numbers. The first of those 17 arrived at 5:45 am and several behind him said they arrived between 5:45 - 6 am.

The day before, Wednesday, 11/11 a visa agent told me she arrived at 5 am and didn't get a queue ticket. She said 22 people didn't get tickets on that day.

That is truly incredible, and if it's portends things to come, it's ludicrous. Our windows of opportunity have narrowed to between 3am and 5:45am. I see this getting worse. Also the refusal of Immigration to to process more than 20 visa requests per day is now bordering on the absurd. Any other office in Thailand hand out queue numbers until the last number is processed at closing time. If they complete 20 before closing, they should hand out queue numbers that can be processed until their quitting time. Here in CM, the I/O can finish their 20 customers and then play Tetris on their Smartphones until quitting time. Maybe it's time to say enough. This is utter BS. Pretty soon, even agents won't be getting numbers, or agents will be the only one's getting numbers. I didn't think it could get worst...surprise surprise!

Rather than continuously complaining, why don't you go to Bangkok and make yourself heard?

Bangkok immigration is already aware of CM immigrations less than stellar operation. If you haven't noticed yet, they don't care. People posting on this site are making themselves heard by reporting the daily nonsense they experience at CM immigration.

Yes your right Bangkok really does not care.

I assume a work permit will be provided :-)

Sorry.......couldn't resist.

northernjohn,

".... much maligned Ex Pat Club......",,,, Either you are trying too hard to be eloquent, or you are going to raise the ire of NancyL.

It is real almost every thing we hear is against them. They are a fantastic organization. just not for every one. They have done more for the farongs with immigration than any one else. Nancy gets out there and talks to the people in power knowing what she hears stands a good chance of just being talk yet she continues on.

Do you really think the Ex Pats club gets nothing but praise on Thai Visa?

Yes, there have been meetings between the head of CM Immigration and also his boss, the head of Region V and not just the lowly CM Expats Club, but also the local foreign consuls. Several meetings in fact. What you now see is the result. In other words, nothing has improved except the goats are gone and we have indoor waiting area, oh and the lights come on at 4 am and the toilets are opened at 6 am. All those are "enhancements" from the mall, incidentally, not Immigration.

The local consuls are becoming increasing frustrated. They're reading your emails. Please email your consuls and Embassies with your concerns. This is the best way to "go to Bangkok" to make yourself heard.

At least for now. The next step is to get the Ambassadors involved and they need to hear from YOU!

The local consul is not interested any more than is the CM Immigration Official.

Obvious you do not know the steps you have to take when talking to Countries that you have Embassy in

There is a protocol that has to be adhered too

You have to talk very diplomaticly about the problem

We can always have our Foreign Minister voice there concerns

The Country Foreign minister listens

Then it goes to the various Dept

Then all the shuffling around

We are only visiting resident here

We do not have much say

As the Old Saying Goes

Rome Was Not Built In A Day

But the son of a bit--h burnt down in a day.

As I said earlier the only hope on the horizon that I can see is the efforts the Chiang Mai Ex club has put in.

I assume a work permit will be provided :-)

Sorry.......couldn't resist.

Not a problem. If challenged the cameraman only has to say, smile please, you`re on candid camera.

This question may have been asked and answered before, if so sorry.

Are we; as CNX residents; obliged to renew/ extend here, or can we do it anywhere in Thailand?

PS: I see from the Chiang Rai Forum that a Letter of Residence is 100 there and not 500 as in CNX.

This question may have been asked and answered before, if so sorry.

Are we; as CNX residents; obliged to renew/ extend here, or can we do it anywhere in Thailand?

Unfortunately where you reside yo have to renew

That is unless you can get a different address and use that area

Unfortunately you will have to go to that area to do first 90 day report and renewal

i

Its a pity we could not do at any other Immigration than CNX

The there would be questions asked

Many jobs would be on the Line

Only my thoughts on this matter

northernjohn,

".... much maligned Ex Pat Club......",,,, Either you are trying too hard to be eloquent, or you are going to raise the ire of NancyL.

It is real almost every thing we hear is against them. They are a fantastic organization. just not for every one. They have done more for the farongs with immigration than any one else. Nancy gets out there and talks to the people in power knowing what she hears stands a good chance of just being talk yet she continues on.

Your sentence structure and the use of "maligned" is ambiguous. The sentence could mean that the ExPats Club is "evil in effect; pernicious; baleful; injurious"....

You have completely misunderstood the meaning of my post.

My initial rant was aimed to highlight that the Thai Immigration works very well in Pattaya, so it's not a matter of Thai authorities refusing to play ball, so why can't the same standard of service be applied here in CM?

I've heard (on a different thread) that BKK Thais are 'politically' inclined to resent CM Thais, and thus are more circumspect when requested to help improve the CM service. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

And I do appreciate the efforts of Nancy, she's one activist that is hands on - however, IMO it needs a concerted joint effort by many, not individuals writing to every Tom Dick and Harry who might reply with more platitudes. If there is a demonstration planned with media invited, I will hold up my hand and join in.

Since the agency with an office next to immigration does not have to wait in line to attempt to get a number, it must mean that they are associated with immigration, and one can infer that there should be an exchange of money involved. Therefore, as I stated long ago, there is NO incentive for the folks at immigration to make it easy for people to complete their obligatory paperwork to live in Thailand. In fact, it behooves immigration NOT to make it reasonable for the foreigner to extend his visa by himself.

There is nothing corrupt about this arrangement; it's just business. This business model might embody questionable ethics, but it does not break any laws.

Like a broken record (remember records?), I will say again: Get the media involved. Forget having an alien try to film the scene, and even suggesting it is probably going to get some gullible foreigner deported. Instead, alert local media, English or Thai, TV or print. There is a story here and if someone could coach a reporter how to actually cover a story properly, it would be aired. Whether or not it would make an iota of difference is uncertain.

Since the agency with an office next to immigration does not have to wait in line to attempt to get a number, it must mean that they are associated with immigration, and one can infer that there should be an exchange of money involved. Therefore, as I stated long ago, there is NO incentive for the folks at immigration to make it easy for people to complete their obligatory paperwork to live in Thailand. In fact, it behooves immigration NOT to make it reasonable for the foreigner to extend his visa by himself.

There is nothing corrupt about this arrangement; it's just business. This business model might embody questionable ethics, but it does not break any laws.

Like a broken record (remember records?), I will say again: Get the media involved. Forget having an alien try to film the scene, and even suggesting it is probably going to get some gullible foreigner deported. Instead, alert local media, English or Thai, TV or print. There is a story here and if someone could coach a reporter how to actually cover a story properly, it would be aired. Whether or not it would make an iota of difference is uncertain.

I would like to add that there are various agents in Pattaya as well who are given preferential treatment, presumably in return of 'commission'. It still doesn't affect the standard of service to those who, for whatever reason, choose to attend Immigration in person. While there could be little incentive for the folks at Pattaya Immigration to make it easy, the fact that they do so is a credit to them in maintaining good community relations.

In CM, when there is only one officer dealing with retirement visas, there is an absolute limit he/she can process in any one day - and even if they were all 'agency retirees' their 'income' couldn't exceed the daily maximum. So their 'incentive' (e.g. not to become loathed by the community) should be to open up at least one more desk to handle the expected days limit - there will still be those who choose to use agencies.

My initial rant was aimed to highlight that the Thai Immigration works very well in Pattaya, so it's not a matter of Thai authorities refusing to play ball, so why can't the same standard of service be applied here in CM?

I've heard (on a different thread) that BKK Thais are 'politically' inclined to resent CM Thais, and thus are more circumspect when requested to help improve the CM service. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

And I do appreciate the efforts of Nancy, she's one activist that is hands on - however, IMO it needs a concerted joint effort by many, not individuals writing to every Tom Dick and Harry who might reply with more platitudes. If there is a demonstration planned with media invited, I will hold up my hand and join in.

Yes, I'm "hands on" and frankly, I'd appreciate more reporting along the lines of what I did in Post # 237 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861438-immigration-promenada-one-stop-service-v2/?p=10070725

Just how many people are getting turned away each day and what time did they arrive?

On November 12, the Imm. officer handing out queue tickets told me the previous day 5 people were turned away for retirement extensions. Later I talked with a visa agent (not from G4T) who told me she arrived at 5 am the previous day and 22 people were turned away, including herself. We had this conversation both in Thai and English so there could be no confusion about the numbers. I tend to believe her, and not the Imm. officer because many of the 17 that I witnessed being turned away said it was their 2nd or 3rd time at being turned away.

This information has already been reported to several of the local consulates and will be reviewed with the local contact of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Monday. I was invited to present because I've got data, spreadsheets, Power Point presentations, photos. Some of the data came from this forum.

We need more people going out early, watching and reporting. And we need everyone emailing their consulates and embassies. They are taking notice. Part of what I'm doing in my early morning visits is noting if there are any improvements. The consuls have been promised that improvements are coming. Our emails of first-hand accounts will tell them it isn't happening.

northernjohn,

Your sentence structure and the use of "maligned" is ambiguous. The sentence could mean that the ExPats Club is "evil in effect; pernicious; baleful; injurious"....

You have completely misunderstood the meaning of my post.

I used the dictionary definition

"to say unpleasant things about someone or something, usually unfairly"

example

"the much-maligned manager of the England team"

You took it out of context and added in a definition that I have never seen used before.

I used the agent next door to the immigration and the girl who took me in told me she is in there 5:00 every morning.

I do have a question and don't waste your time or mine telling about how immigration doesn't want us. That is stupid. Of course they want us they need the money to feed their family and supply them with shelter.

Talk is in Pattaya it is easy. I have a friend who used to live there and he told me that you were in half an hour and out done deal. He said often there was a volunteer there checking papers to make sure they were right.

How many people are there for the extended 365 days that we get at the Promenada? We are apparently getting over 20 a day some times less. Are they getting the same numbers for the 365 extended days? Are we talking apples to apples or apples to oranges.

There was no sign of life at the G4T office on Thursday until about 7:30 am and none of the visa agents waiting in the queue were from G4T.

Since I posted my report of Thursday's visit, I've had a detailed debriefing from someone who didn't get a queue ticket on Thursday and decided to pay the 3000 baht (plus Imm.'s standard fees) to G4T so he didn't have to come back another day.

He went into see G4T around 9 am, when it was evident that the Imm. officials weren't going to respond to the rather loud complaints from the 17 left who didn't get queue tickets. G4T took his passport, filled out the TM 7 form, took his money and photo and told him to return at 1 pm and he'd be done out of Immigration by 1:15 pm, with his passport. I repeat, no one from G4T got queue tickets on Thursday morning.

The fellow returned to the G4T office promptly at 1 pm but no one from G4T showed up until 1:10 pm. But they were good to their word that he'd be done with Immigration by 1:15 pm. They took him into the main door of Immigration and had him sit down at a desk to the left of the center Info/Tourist ext. counter -- not the usual desk to the right of the counter for retirement extensions. Across the desk was a male Immigration officer (wearing glasses) with two female college students helping. The Imm. Officer looked through a stack of eight or nine passports and found the fellow's passport. Each passport had an Immigration receipt in it for 1900 baht. The paperwork had already been processed and the visa extension stamped and approved in the fellow's passport. The Imm. officer motioned for him to look into the camera on the desk and that was it. He was handed his passport and was free to go.

He didn't see anyone else come to claim a passport from that stack, so we don't know if they were G4T customers or not.

whats new old dear, ???? a normal reputable visa agent express service for which u pay approx 15 baht a day for smile.png

been there done that. by crikey its a 5 star servicebiggrin.png

a nice late arvo to all

Actually, sweetheart, G4T isn't 5 star service like your ace service in town. No website, only a couple people with any English proficiency, haphazard office hours. They don't handle the full range of Immigration services. (I'm not certain they respond to emails, either) No rides for customers in town AND they don't have to have an employee show up in the wee hours to wait for your queue ticket like your super-duper ace agent in town does.

Dearie, your agent is just crack-jack. Hubby uses them and loves 'em to pieces. They're victims in this almost as much as the retail customers.

I used G4T on Tuesday for a retirement extension, multiple entry and 90 day report, my reasons and experience was pretty much as NancyL outlined.

I was a casual walk in about 10.15am, they took photocopies of passport etc as I had everything else, I signed copies, and blank application form and told to come back at 2.00pm.

Came back and was walked into immigration quickly, saw officer on the right for extension and photo, and then officer on the left (who had trainee who took photo). In and out in less than ten minutes.

I had no problems with the English of two staff G4T in attendance, the lady who looked to be in charge was fine and very thorough.

I would use them again, just as I have used agents in the UK, USA, and Ireland, simply because they are a viable quick alternative that I am prepared to pay for.

I can understand that some agents may have lost business, and certainly its proximity to immigration is a license to print money. But by no means is it the only agent by a long long long way that has a close relationship with immigration.

For example from Chiangmaibuddy.

"Aimmy is a former employee of the Immigration department, and has for years keep her established contacts with the Chiang Mai Immigration while running her own Visa Assistance Service. Aimmy is extremely knowledgeable about the continuing changes in the Immigration Laws and Procedures and Speaks English.

Using her huge range of established contacts, we are often able to provide solutions to difficult Visa situations, sometimes bypassing the usual processes."

While I was there another agent from across town also flagged her and clients presence to immigration staff by just walking up and talking to the immigration officer while they were serving someone else....and they were called across next bypassing those seated/waiting but perhaps they had an appointment.

I do not need a full range of services, website, or ride across town so for me what they provide, quickly, effortlessly is perfect.

To me G4T a good and worthwhile service all round, would use them again, and would like them to hang around.

Archived