Immigration Promenada One Stop Service v2

Tywais

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did my tourist renewal at this location yesterday. After turning in my tm7 at the outside check-in desk, I went inside and waited about 2.5 hours for my name to be called. Overall, not so bad.

what time did you go ? my last tourist extension i make it was at the old place i arrived at 10h30 11am finish :(

At the Department of Land Transport (motor vehicle department) in Chiang Mai there is a sign, in Thai, posted at the service windows that says something to the effect that in order to give good service, you can still conduct your business even during lunchtime (which you can; I've done it).

Personally, I think even if the most senior foreign government officials contact CM immigration with the complaints people have voiced, immigration will simply say, "Sorry, we don't have the personnel or the budget to do anything differently." End of discussion (and, "Thanks for bringing up what we already know...").

Personally, I think even if the most senior foreign government officials contact CM immigration with the complaints people have voiced, immigration will simply say, "Sorry, we don't have the personnel or the budget to do anything differently." End of discussion (and, "Thanks for bringing up what we already know...").

This is essentially what's happening when the Consuls talk with local level Immigration leadership. This is why it's necessary to contact our Embassies to bring the problem to the attention of the higher ups in Bangkok so that CM Imm. can get the resources they need.

Arrived a little later than I wanted... about 1330 hours . That being said, I think arriving a little earlier would be good. But then again, I did not see many staff members handling renewal apps.

ok thank you i will go around 10 am i think me

Nancy:

Is it lack of resources, lack of work ethic or just plain graft?

I think CM IMO would change their ways if there was "loss of face" issue involved which a piece from the BBC might just achieve?

I don't know what exactly the problem is. The statistics about manpower and cases served are widely available so the lack of resources is well-known, but there has to be reasons why CM hasn't been able to get the resources it needs for many years.

Yes, a piece from the BBC or some other international news agency would highlight the problem, but it's difficult to get the attention of major news organizations and then it's difficult to control the story once you do have their attention. Since there's no sex, drugs or pretty young people involved in the early morning activities at Imm. Prom, the story might be a "tough sell".

The more traditional way to try to resolve problems like this was summarized by Lizard2010 in post No. 271:

Obvious you do not know the steps you have to take when talking to Countries that you have Embassy in

There is a protocol that has to be adhered too

You have to talk very diplomaticly about the problem

We can always have our Foreign Minister voice there concerns

The Country Foreign minister listens

Then it goes to the various Dept

Then all the shuffling around

With this approach we stand a chance of having resources approved for more than one officer handling retirement extensions, a supervisor on-site at Imm. Prom to approve retirement extensions and a new-improved on-line reservation queue if funds are approved from Bangkok.

Nancy:

I think CM IMO would change their ways if there was "loss of face" issue involved which a piece from the BBC might just achieve?

They lack the will to improve (for whatever reason) and possibly it is a "cultural" thing to not have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives to lower staff to offer sugestions. As a decade long resident I have had plenty of time see where the bottlenecks and inefficencies are built in to the process. I believe they could make the system work without more staff or budget. ..... I don't think they want to solve the problems.

Nancy:

I don't know what exactly the problem is. The statistics about manpower and cases served are widely available so the lack of resources is well-known, but there has to be reasons why CM hasn't been able to get the resources it needs for many years.

Yes, a piece from the BBC or some other international news agency would highlight the problem, but it's difficult to get the attention of major news organizations and then it's difficult to control the story once you do have their attention. Since there's no sex, drugs or pretty young people involved in the early morning activities at Imm. Prom, the story might be a "tough sell".

The more traditional way to try to resolve problems like this was summarized by Lizard2010 in post No. 271:

Obvious you do not know the steps you have to take when talking to Countries that you have Embassy in

With this approach we stand a chance of having resources approved for more than one officer handling retirement extensions, a supervisor on-site at Imm. Prom to approve retirement extensions and a new-improved on-line reservation queue if funds are approved from Bangkok.

It was my understanding from an article in city life several years ago that the funds had been approved. The problem was Bangkok was going to do the hiring not Chiang Mai.

Nancy:

They lack the will to improve (for whatever reason) and possibly it is a "cultural" thing to not have brainstorming sessions and offer incentives to lower staff to offer sugestions. As a decade long resident I have had plenty of time see where the bottlenecks and inefficencies are built in to the process. I believe they could make the system work without more staff or budget. ..... I don't think they want to solve the problems.

Agreed.Why would they want to solve the problems if there are certain incentives not to do so ?

Having lived here for almost a decade there is little that shocks or even surprises me. And yet I am occasionally disappointed .....................

Mostly by some of the posts on this site from those who are obviously unwilling or unable to adjust to the country they chose [?] to live in.

Living here is [relatively] easy and [relatively] cheaper than the countries we were previously living in. Many of us have additional reasons for coming here and few have devious motives nor wish to buck the system. Fit in as best you can a follow the rules as best you can.

Those who commit their time and make an effort to assist us in doing that are few and far between. Which is why I am sometimes astounded by the negative comments that are made about NancyL and the efforts she makes. I don't know her personally but she should be appreciated and applauded for what she does in attempting to be a reliable conduit between 'them' and 'us' Not that I personally see the situation as them and us. I doubt very much that there is a Monday morning meeting at CM Immigration where they discuss how best they can inconvenience/screw those who come to their premises simply to abide by the laws of the land.

Give NancyL a break and appreciate that someone is actually batting on your side.

Nancy:

It was my understanding from an article in city life several years ago that the funds had been approved. The problem was Bangkok was going to do the hiring not Chiang Mai.

NJ -- that article was, as you said, several years ago. Also it was a couple of regimes ago.

Last year when the current head of CM Imm. spoke at CEC he opened his talk by saying he'd submitted a plan for a new building and (if approved) CM would have a new building within two years. If you go back and watch the video, what everyone in the audience thought he said was that we'd have a new building in two years. Nope -- the proposal wasn't approved. Nor was the one submitted by the chief before him.

Having lived here for almost a decade there is little that shocks or even surprises me. And yet I am occasionally disappointed .....................

Mostly by some of the posts on this site from those who are obviously unwilling or unable to adjust to the country they chose [?] to live in.

Living here is [relatively] easy and [relatively] cheaper than the countries we were previously living in. Many of us have additional reasons for coming here and few have devious motives nor wish to buck the system. Fit in as best you can a follow the rules as best you can.

Those who commit their time and make an effort to assist us in doing that are few and far between. Which is why I am sometimes astounded by the negative comments that are made about NancyL and the efforts she makes. I don't know her personally but she should be appreciated and applauded for what she does in attempting to be a reliable conduit between 'them' and 'us' Not that I personally see the situation as them and us. I doubt very much that there is a Monday morning meeting at CM Immigration where they discuss how best they can inconvenience/screw those who come to their premises simply to abide by the laws of the land.

Give NancyL a break and appreciate that someone is actually batting on your side.

Caspersfriend, thanks for your words of support, but I don't feel that most people contributing to this thread are finding fault with me. They're exasperated with the lack of improvement at Imm. Prom. and just trying to understand why conditions are bad, why they aren't improving and what can be done to facilitate improvement.

Any and all ideas are worth discussing.

Caspersfriend, thanks for your words of support, but I don't feel that most people contributing to this thread are finding fault with me. They're exasperated with the lack of improvement at Imm. Prom. and just trying to understand why conditions are bad, why they aren't improving and what can be done to facilitate improvement.

I am sure everyone is aware that the situation is unsatisfactory and not a stick of dynamite is not going to budge these people. If you are taking this on as a lone crusader you are fighting an uphill struggle.

It needs the support of people in high places to make any significant improvements that comes from within the system, like an MP and these are the people that should be addressed about our grievances once most other avenues have been exhausted and possibly bringing this to attention in the Chiang Mai news papers.

I am sure everyone is aware that the situation is unsatisfactory and not a stick of dynamite is not going to budge these people. If you are taking this on as a lone crusader you are fighting an uphill struggle.

It needs the support of people in high places to make any significant improvements that comes from within the system, like an MP and these are the people that should be addressed about our grievances once most other avenues have been exhausted and possibly bringing this to attention in the Chiang Mai news papers.

Are there any members of the government who were elected as a MP?

i may be wrong but the Military is running the country

Until they hold Elections One Day?

Exactly. The inadequate situation must be more widely known or it will remain as a storm in a teacup. Name and shame the authorities.

Nancy:

NJ -- that article was, as you said, several years ago. Also it was a couple of regimes ago.

Last year when the current head of CM Imm. spoke at CEC he opened his talk by saying he'd submitted a plan for a new building and (if approved) CM would have a new building within two years. If you go back and watch the video, what everyone in the audience thought he said was that we'd have a new building in two years. Nope -- the proposal wasn't approved. Nor was the one submitted by the chief before him.

I am aware of those facts. But I am still wondering about the permission to hire only Bangkok would do it. Nothing was said at the meeting abut that. If it has not been officially scrapped would it not be a good opener in disguising the current problem. Seems mighty strange to me that two different administrations know full well the problem here in Chiang Mai and know it is only a Chiang Mai problem can ignore the answer and carry on with prolonging the problem When they know that it had already been solved and was just waiting for them to enact it.

Telling them what is wrong is like pissing in t the wind they know. Asking them when they are going to enact the solution they already came up with is a different way to approach it. We all know the present complaints to the different Embassies has done nothing.

Nancy:

I am aware of those facts. But I am still wondering about the permission to hire only Bangkok would do it. Nothing was said at the meeting abut that. If it has not been officially scrapped would it not be a good opener in disguising the current problem. Seems mighty strange to me that two different administrations know full well the problem here in Chiang Mai and know it is only a Chiang Mai problem can ignore the answer and carry on with prolonging the problem When they know that it had already been solved and was just waiting for them to enact it.

Telling them what is wrong is like pissing in t the wind they know. Asking them when they are going to enact the solution they already came up with is a different way to approach it. We all know the present complaints to the different Embassies has done nothing.

Agree. And a mass demonstration might be appropriate.

Agree. And a mass demonstration might be appropriate.

Boycott might work thumbsup.gif

Great idea. My point is if pattaya can provide good service why can't cnx? I was thinking of a silent demonstration with placards denoting we have Thai families and contribute to the economy, why treat us badly? And get news reporters to witness it with handouts from us to keep it accurate. A one off but follow up

I think the problem is that not enough people have emailed their Embassies.

Have every one of the "regulars" on this thread done so already?

Nancy it may appear a bit old fashioned but emails tend to get lost deleted or just left on file. A registered letter has more effect and for a few baht its worth the effort.

I have sent many ,many emails in Thailand in 17 years and rarely received a reply or even an acknowledgement.

I have sent quite a few letters on this current shambles but I bet many have not even bothered.

Not my side!

This thread and the previous one shows that Nancy gets up early mornings for no other reason to hire a songteow (at her own expense) and go to immigration to see what the queue situation is. She talks to people, gathers and compiles information and then passes on that information to us - not a select group of people; The threads here are in the public domain and everybody can read what she posts, even people who are not members of ThaiVisa Forum.

Nobody is exempt from obtaining the information she provides, therefore we all benefit. She is not doing it for her own purposes, she is doing it to provide up to date information which has been of benefit to many people. Nobody can argue against the conclusion that Nancy is doing a splendid job of this and is definitely batting on all of our sides. She deserves kudos not negativity.

I managed a not for profit group for 13 years and part of my job was coordinating over 300 volunteers. I can say with honesty and experience that those volunteers who received continuous negative feedback from people they were offering a service to or trying to help got dejected and gave up. I saw it happen many times.

Nancy, you're being like a dog with a bone (in a totally good way) with this issue. On behalf of everyone reading this thread, thank you for all of the time and effort you are putting in. You're a star.

Archived