Immigration Promenada One Stop Service v2

Tywais

The other agents have to send someone to wait in the queue for their customers. Only G4T can jump the queue. That is the key difference.

What you're buying when you employ G4T is queue-jumping. If G4T didn't exist, there would be more queue cards for everyone. Instead, the Immigration officials have to set aside some time to handle the paperwork that G4T brings to them during the day for their customers and take photos of their customers when they bring them in to the Imm. office -- interrupting the processing of people (or their agents) who waited in the early morning hours to obtain a queue card.

Yes, visa agents serve a valuable purpose -- a much broader purpose than merely jumping the queue. That's all you're buying with that 3000 fee to G4T.

Take a look at the website for Assist Thai Visa and OS Thai Visa -- two well-regarded, full service visa agencies. They do much, much more than offer you the chance to avoid the queue. Now take a look at the website for G4T. Oh, wait a minute. They don't have a website.

What you're buying when you employ G4T is queue-jumping. If G4T didn't exist, there would be more queue cards for everyone. How do you know that? Where`s your source of information?

I would give odds of 1000 to 1 that the situation would remain the same and the other agents would just receive the customers from the GT4. The people that already know how to do their paperwork would still be paying for a priority queue slot no matter which agent they use. The reputable agents as you describe them charge an extra 2000 baht for a retirement extension on top of what GT4 charge to compensate for not being directly affiliated with immigration, whereas GT4 has cut out the middle people and can charge less.

I have said that the whole situation stinks, I hate it as much as you do, but for the meantime I would rather use the lesser of the evils that is more conveniently placed next to immigration, a faster service and save 2000 baht into the bargain. Pushing the GT4 out of business will not improve the services at the Promenada, please get real.

OK, I'm trying to be patient. And not use the "C" word. I'll explain it again.

As the situation stands now, Imm. had no incentive to "fix" the situation. No incentive to develop a Chiang Mai-specific on-line queue. No incentive to distribute enough queue tickets for all the retirees and legitimate visa agents in the morning queue. No incentive to have a supervisor on site to sign off on passports and return them to retirees in a timely fashion, as is done in other provinces.

No siree, their "solution" seems to be working. Look, the CM retirees love to pay 3000 baht for "expedited" service. Why bother to fix the problem? What problem, governor? What problem, ambassador? Look, the old folks are still flocking to retire in Chiang Mai. They're all rich. They can afford to pay that 3000 baht.

Maybe it will be more once those other visa agents in town are out of business. You know, the ones who gave the frail retirees rides out to Imm. Prom. You know, the ones who took care of the widow's dependent visa extension which was lost the moment her husband died, you know, the ones who came to the hospitals to handle medical visa extensions, you know the ones who spoke good English and explained the ins-and-outs of visas to newbie retirees. Who needs those services anyway?

If carried to the logical extreme, it will get to the point where they distribute just 10 queue tickets each morning and let those that remain to go G4T. That would take care of the needs of the legitimate visa agents that have employees who are young and live near Prom. so they can go wait in the queue at 2 am. For the rest of us, oh well, that 3000 baht fee from G4T is just so "reasonable".

How's that for "service"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only difference with this and the way it works in America is that you pay more for the better connected visa lawyers in the US; not less, and there are plenty of them cutting in line at the Embassies in DC. Same goes for Defense attorneys...those, who formerly working for the prosecutor's office can charge more because they have the connections. How many meters from the US Consulate do you have to go to find an agent for matters there? Is it even 200 meters? Who's next of the privileged to be scrutinized? Wasn't John of John's Place' brother a high up in the BiB? And doesn't he own his property? So he can give the best prices in the Tha Phae area? That's really not fair to all the cowboys that have to pay higher rent and have a more difficult time with BiB....Should he be put out of business, because a few of the bars that charge double have chairs big enough for the morbidly obese, and nice hand railings to get on the toilet. Think about it.

The other agents have to send someone to wait in the queue for their customers. Only G4T can jump the queue. That is the key difference.

What you're buying when you employ G4T is queue-jumping. If G4T didn't exist, there would be more queue cards for everyone. Instead, the Immigration officials have to set aside some time to handle the paperwork that G4T brings to them during the day for their customers and take photos of their customers when they bring them in to the Imm. office -- interrupting the processing of people (or their agents) who waited in the early morning hours to obtain a queue card.

Yes, visa agents serve a valuable purpose -- a much broader purpose than merely jumping the queue. That's all you're buying with that 3000 fee to G4T.

Take a look at the website for Assist Thai Visa and OS Thai Visa -- two well-regarded, full service visa agencies. They do much, much more than offer you the chance to avoid the queue. Now take a look at the website for G4T. Oh, wait a minute. They don't have a website.

What you're buying when you employ G4T is queue-jumping. If G4T didn't exist, there would be more queue cards for everyone. How do you know that? Where`s your source of information?

I would give odds of 1000 to 1 that the situation would remain the same and the other agents would just receive the customers from the GT4. The people that already know how to do their paperwork would still be paying for a priority queue slot no matter which agent they use. The reputable agents as you describe them charge an extra 2000 baht for a retirement extension on top of what GT4 charge to compensate for not being directly affiliated with immigration, whereas GT4 has cut out the middle people and can charge less.

I have said that the whole situation stinks, I hate it as much as you do, but for the meantime I would rather use the lesser of the evils that is more conveniently placed next to immigration, a faster service and save 2000 baht into the bargain. Pushing the GT4 out of business will not improve the services at the Promenada, please get real.

As the situation stands now, Imm. had no incentive to "fix" the situation. No incentive to develop a Chiang Mai-specific on-line queue. No incentive to distribute enough queue tickets for all the retirees and legitimate visa agents in the morning queue. No incentive to have a supervisor on site to sign off on passports and return them to retirees in a timely fashion, as is done in other provinces.

No siree, their "solution" seems to be working. Look, the CM retirees love to pay 3000 baht for "expedited" service. Why bother to fix the problem? What problem, governor? What problem, ambassador? Look, the old folks are still flocking to retire in Chiang Mai. They're all rich. They can afford to pay that 3000 baht.

Maybe it will be more once those other visa agents in town are out of business. You know, the ones who gave the frail retirees rides out to Imm. Prom. You know, the ones who took care of the widow's dependent visa extension which was lost the moment her husband died, you know, the ones who came to the hospitals to handle medical visa extensions, you know the ones who spoke good English and explained the ins-and-outs of visas to newbie retirees. Who needs those services anyway?

If carried to the logical extreme, it will get to the point where they distribute just 10 queue tickets each morning and let those that remain to go G4T. That would take care of the needs of the legitimate visa agents that have employees who are young and live near Prom. so they can go wait in the queue at 2 am. For the rest of us, oh well, that 3000 baht fee from G4T is just so "reasonable".

How's that for "service"

Don`t be shy, you can call me the C word if you like. Loads of people have called me charismatic, but I try to be modest about it.

Nancy,

Is 100% right

Indeed she is - especially as the rules seem to change with the wind nowadays. It's not the charge for visa services by the two most-used agencies which counts, it's the back-up services, emergency assistance and explanations in our own language (whether it's British or American English) which make the essential difference between, say, Assist Thai Visa and the outfit at Promenada.

Let's hope that those too parsimonious to take the slightly more expensive option don't get caught with their trousers down through no fault of their own. We live in interesting times.....

How's that for "service"

Don`t be shy, you can call me the C word if you like. Loads of people have called me charismatic, but I try to be modest about it.

I am suspicious when some one goes on crusade to close down a valuable service like G4T and push two other services both more expensive. G4t does not claim to do every thing and any one is with in their rights to avail them selves of the services they do provide. It took them 5 minute to process me. I am sure the other agents also get a rapid result. The more applicants that use the agents the easier it is for the people who do their own. It is not rocket science folks.

If you want the perks with the other ones use them. If you don't need the perks don't use them. The point is the agents do get us through a lot faster because they have the paper work correct when you go in with them.

I have no financial interest or personal association with D4T just passing on a good deal. If people need others services done for them they can always go to the other agents for a higher price. I don't care which one you use That is up to you and should be judged in your own needs not some body else's dislike.

If there was no G4T I would use Thai Assist. I have no connection with them either.

I am suspicious when some one goes on crusade to close down a valuable service like G4T and push two other services both more expensive. G4t does not claim to do every thing and any one is with in their rights to avail them selves of the services they do provide. It took them 5 minute to process me. I am sure the other agents also get a rapid result. The more applicants that use the agents the easier it is for the people who do their own. It is not rocket science folks.

If you want the perks with the other ones use them. If you don't need the perks don't use them. The point is the agents do get us through a lot faster because they have the paper work correct when you go in with them.

I have no financial interest or personal association with D4T just passing on a good deal. If people need others services done for them they can always go to the other agents for a higher price. I don't care which one you use That is up to you and should be judged in your own needs not some body else's dislike.

If there was no G4T I would use Thai Assist. I have no connection with them either.

Exactly! I have never yet used an agent for this kind of stuff in LOS or Malaysia because the process and time involved where I've had to go through it in the past has not been bad enough for me to need to. Plenty of folks I know do though because for them it's just more convenient and not worth the hassle. Their time, their money, their choice. Thus in the past I have no ongoing support services or whatever from any agent and have yet to be 'caught with my trousers down' as a result of not using their services.

As I see it G4T largely provide ticket to speedier processing and nothing else, aside from checking your papers. Thing is, if you'd have otherwise have done it yourself, why would you pay out 2-3,000 more for the services other agents provide BUT that you don't need? Indeed I'd rather the G4T option was there to choose from rather than have to shell out more for a hand-holding service I have no need for. Others might, up to them, I don't, up to me.

While I'd rather not to have to use any agent at all, if I turn up one or two times at 8:30 and don't get sorted, G4T it will be. G4T it will also be the time after if, having got my ticket to get sorted, it takes an unacceptably long period of time in terms of waiting / coming back etc.

So as it stands there's 3 options that people have the freedom to choose from:

1) DIY and all that that involves

2) DIY with G4T assisted rapid processing

3) Full agent with the complete hand-holding and support services

Of course it would be great if no-one ever had to use an agent at all but I doubt the folks using G4T (of whom I'd guess those on TV make up a VERY small proportion) are not going to boycott them any time soon and it will take much more than a TV protest call to change how things get done, either by Immigration or G4T.

G4T has full run of the Imm. office. Their agents don't need to queue up to get a number for their clients, like the other agents do. They don't rent their office space from Promenada Mall -- it's in the space that the Immigration "rents" from the mall. Their agents also handle the Certificates of Residency -- what is suppose to be a free document from Imm, for which they charge 500 baht.

Now think about what sets them apart from the other visa agents.

Cyberfarang, don't flatter yourself. The "C" word, I didn't want to use in my previous post wasn't your name.

G4T has full run of the Imm. office. Their agents don't need to queue up to get a number for their clients, like the other agents do. They don't rent their office space from Promenada Mall -- it's in the space that the Immigration "rents" from the mall. Their agents also handle the Certificates of Residency -- what is suppose to be a free document from Imm, for which they charge 500 baht.

Cyberfarang, don't flatter yourself. The "C" word, I didn't want to use in my previous post wasn't your name.

I was going to "Like" your post but apparently the ptb are now locking people up for that.

Let me tell you a story....

My wife's son and his wife had a baby son last year. We are helping them by buying the baby milk powder ("formula" to you Americans).

We have two local sources of baby milk powder (other suppliers are available, as they say)

The first source is "Big C".

They charge 1,600 baht for a 1.5 Kg pack. However, if we buy enough produce from them, they will deliver free. We can also buy clothes whilst we are in the store and we can have a meal.

The second source is a small shop run by a man in Nong Hoi.

He charges 1,300 baht for a 1.5 Kg pack. He does not offer a delivery service or meals, but we can buy Pampers at reduced (cheaper than Big C) price, and baby toys.

Which source do you think we patronize?

Edit..nearly forgot, as Speedy Gonzales said "Come quickly, down to BigC, They're giving green Stamps with Taquila"

​To quote Nancy:-

There is NO incentive for IM to provide a better service whilst promoting G4T, you give out less queue cards, provide a poor service AND BINGO you have created the ideal situation for an on site Visa Agent business

I believe no-one is against Visa Agents, and I agree you get what you pay for BAHT 3000 or 5500 approx.

NOW IF G4T had their office down town or ALL Visa Agents had Prom Offices, then the playing is a lot more level

Now if IM is truly interested in providing a service to support the Immigrations laws of Thailand, they would NOT HAVE EXPATS queuing at 0400hrs, one should be able to turn up in normal office hours and complete their business as the law requires

OR are the promoting G4T

I wonder?

Cyberfarang, don't flatter yourself. The "C" word, I didn't want to use in my previous post wasn't your name. Nice person to do business with.

Their agents don't need to queue up to get a number for their clients, like the other agents do. What`s that to me? Who gives a septic blister on an elephant`s backside?

Nancy, I'm having a problem trying to understand your motivation for repeatedly criticizing the one visa agent. You've always been a great advocate for the expats and, based on that, I'm presuming that you think that closing them down would somehow benefit us expats. How? By somehow making Immigration do a better job? (if so, I'd consider that a pipedream). Or by making those that want to use a visa agent for retirement extensions use another visa agent (which, by the way, would cost them an extra 2000 to 5000 baht)? Just what is your end game with respect to G4T and what benefit comes from repeatedly going after them?

(As for the residency certificate comment, you yourself know that Immigration itself has charged 500 baht if you wanted the certificate the next day. So nothing new or different there.)

Cyberfarang, don't flatter yourself. The "C" word, I didn't want to use in my previous post wasn't your name. Nice person to do business with.

Their agents don't need to queue up to get a number for their clients, like the other agents do. What`s that to me? Who gives a septic blister on an elephant`s backside?

As previously mentioned, if you (and other "Northern" people) lack the mental acuity to comprehend why that's an issue then you should just keep paying your money for what should be a free service...as it is everywhere else in Thailand.

This isn't a conversation about what's the better value fee for service organization. facepalm.gifsignthaivisa.gif

Nancy, I'm having a problem trying to understand your motivation for repeatedly criticizing the one visa agent. You've always been a great advocate for the expats and, based on that, I'm presuming that you think that closing them down would somehow benefit us expats. How? By somehow making Immigration do a better job? (if so, I'd consider that a pipedream). Or by making those that want to use a visa agent for retirement extensions use another visa agent (which, by the way, would cost them an extra 2000 to 5000 baht)? Just what is your end game with respect to G4T and what benefit comes from repeatedly going after them?

(As for the residency certificate comment, you yourself know that Immigration itself has charged 500 baht if you wanted the certificate the next day. So nothing new or different there.)

You should ask that question via PM since forum rules prohibit discussion about many aspects of this situation. (The fact that so many on here can't see the forest through the trees is truly amazing.) Suffice to say, no one is "going after" a visa agent to push business to another visa agent.

I was going to "Like" your post but apparently the ptb are now locking people up for that.

Even more interesting is when you get a LIKE and you go to your post and it's not there anymore....Gremlins....

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think the crux is that if the "in-house" visa agent were not at immigration, the process would, allegedly, be more normalized for those who want to renew their visa themselves, as it should be.

No one is saying that visa agents should not exist, but when there is one that allegedly undermines the ability of normal, walk-in customers to have their business attended to efficiently and respectfully, then one has to closely examine this situation.

I suspect the mystery "c" word being alluded to rhymes with eruption.

It amazes me that some folks seem to applaud these eruptions, or not even see them occurring right in front of their eyes. Some folks seem really happy, even grateful, to be a targeted victim. Maybe they're nostalgic about the good old days of traffic-stop extortion and are happy to find a new channel to pay money into Thailand's dark side.

Interesting thought, what would happen if the Visa Agents in town lowered their prices.

Say to 3000 Baht or less

Would you push G4T out of business and by default improve the IM service

A bit like OIL PRICE between Saudi and Russia

Problem is, the legit agencies (the pre-existing ones) have likely seen a boost in customer numbers after the service deterioration. If so, participating in fixing the service would be precisely counter to their own interests.

I would happily pay 500baht to g4t to ensure my retirement paperwork was correct. That way more people could be processed by immigration and there would be no need to queue at 4a.m. to get a ticket. It's a compromise where it's a win win situation. But 3000 is taking the Pisa when free service is provided at all other offices in a normal day time frame.

I disagree.

Went to G4T, they did all the paperwork and made all copies. Only thing I had to bring was the letter from the bank. It sounds pretty full service to me!

Arrived at 2 PM and was out 15 minutes later. They told me to come back at 4.30 to pick up passport; I replied that I would rather pick it up the next day, and so it was.

I used another agency last year (one of the two you mention in your post), on two occasions for 2 different family members. One time my 89 year old mother had to wait almost an hour at the old office for the photo. On a separate occasion they forgot to do the re/entry, so had to go back again the next day (total of 3 trips). Not the best full service at almost twice the cost of G4T, who also handle re-entries (not sure what they charge) and 90 day reports at 300 baht each time.

IMHO G4T is just as good as the others and at almost half price. The inner workings of how they do it do not concern me at all, as the paying customer.

Reentry 500 baht plus whatever the government fee is.

David

There isn't a fee - it's free. Good luck if you want it this week and you want it free though.

I don't see where you can conclude that this is a crusade to close a business down, nor is it pushing the others opinion. I think you have either misread some posts or are being a little disingenuous.

Your post has actually pointed out the issue that is fueling the fire of Nancy, myself and a lot of others.

It took them 5 minute to process me. I am sure the other agents also get a rapid result.

They don't. That's the whole point. If you wander into one of the other agents today and they drove you to immigration, would they be able to process you in 5 minutes? The answer of course is no. 5 minutes to make sure your photo's and documentation are in order. Then they have to go to Promenada at 4am the next day and sit waiting until the office opens at 8.30 and get a queue ticket, then estimate what time you will be called up and then make sure that you are there at the appointed time. Fair enough, that's what used to happen at the Airport location for years and years. The issue is that you can wander in to the agency next to immigration and go immediately to the top of the queue, regardless of how many people are waiting with queue tickets - tickets they got because either they or their agent was at Promenada in the middle of the night.

I don't have any connection to anyone, don't particularly care about the agents in town as I have never used and hopefully never will have to use them. The point of the rants of several people here is that it is quite simply and very obviously in no way fair to the other agents, but more importantly (to me) is that along with others, I am curious about the seemingly close relationship between Immigration and G4T and wondering if it is appropriate. I'm not saying it is inappropriate, just pointing out that it appears to be, and as such, moves should be made to have the dealings between the two made transparent, which would stop all complaints and speculation in one fell swoop.

I would happily pay 500baht to g4t to ensure my retirement paperwork was correct.

What? This must be a typo or something.

First off, the "paperwork" for a retirement extension is extremely easy and entails only a few things. Moreover, what you have to bring is not a closely guarded secret; finding out what you need is easy.

Secondly, (and I was going to post about this earlier when NancyL said something about people coming to her who didn't know squat about how to even start the extension process) -- how on earth can you be a guest in a country (and want to retire there) and not be able to do the basic research on what is required of you to continue to stay?

Nothing personal to the poster here, but I find it remarkable that a person would actually go to immigration for a retirement extension and be turned away because he wasn't prepared. What is that? Arrogance? Stupidity?

What is the thinking process? "Well, I didn't do any homework at all on what I need to provide, so I brought these copies and some other things -- that should be enough; anyway, I'm an American, whatever I give you ought to be sufficient..."

I have not lived in the country where I was born for over 30 years now and I have never screwed up on an extension, a visa, a work permit, a resident alien permit, a reentry permit or overstayed my visa. This is not bragging -- there is nothing clever about this. You want to live in a foreign country? Well, you need this and that and you have to report here at such and such a time and you need copies of this and ... we all (or so I thought) know the drill.

It reminds me of what an old friend once said: "People should have to pass an IQ test before they are issued a passport."

It's truly amazing how many people do not understand the IM process, or many other requirements when you live overseas

The IM process is simple compared to taxation, income tax, capital gains tax and IHT etc. etc.

My own principle is not to pay if I cannot do the 'THING' myself

That said , most people including Nancy have clearly said there is a requirement for Visa Agents, people have the choice how to spend there money

The issue G4T creates, is NO incentive to provide the normal service other IM offices provides throughout Thailand

Now in most countries you CAN pay for a FAST TRACK passport services

What if IM said G4T is actually IM and we provide a normal service during office hours AND a FAST TRACK service at a price 3000B

Interesting

Crikey must admit I am dumbfounded about how some people are so happy to pay for something that is free in other places.

I did the retirement visa for my mother a few years ago.

The process was so easy. Starting with online queue then bank letter. Then on the day turn up with filled in form, power of attorney and copies etc. Took about 10mins once my queue was called and the passport returned in about another 10 minutes.

All it cost me was the extension fee and the gas to get there. (Old Location)

It's truly amazing how many people do not understand the IM process, or many other requirements when you live overseas

The IM process is simple compared to taxation, income tax, capital gains tax and IHT etc. etc.

My own principle is not to pay if I cannot do the 'THING' myself

That said , most people including Nancy have clearly said there is a requirement for Visa Agents, people have the choice how to spend there money

The issue G4T creates, is NO incentive to provide the normal service other IM offices provides throughout Thailand

Now in most countries you CAN pay for a FAST TRACK passport services

What if IM said G4T is actually IM and we provide a normal service during office hours AND a FAST TRACK service at a price 3000B

Interesting

The reason immigration is not saying GT4 is part of immigration, is this would be unethical even by Thai standards.

There are a certain number of extensions to be processed in a year, and the immigration chiefs down in Bangkok don't care if everybody uses an agent, or nobody uses an agent.

So let's project forward if the present situation continues. Most aliens have yet to extend their permission to stay at the Promenada under the current conditions. As time passes, more and more people will have problems, and more and more will use G4T to make things easier. If no extra officers are assigned to process applications, and G4T customers continue to get priority, this must mean that less and less DIY applications will be processed.

So, is it possible that at some time in the future, it will not be possible to make an application unless you use an agent. If that happens then the early morning queue will still be there every day, except that people will be queuing to use the G4T services (maybe even other agents will be forced to use G4T).

No difference to the immigration chiefs, the same number of applications will be processed as before.

If that happens, then it will not be long before the charge for the service increases, and your "choice to use an agent" disappears.

Naturally, I hope this never happens, but it is a possibility.

There are a certain number of extensions to be processed in a year, and the immigration chiefs down in Bangkok don't care if everybody uses an agent, or nobody uses an agent.

So let's project forward if the present situation continues. Most aliens have yet to extend their permission to stay at the Promenada under the current conditions. As time passes, more and more people will have problems, and more and more will use G4T to make things easier. If no extra officers are assigned to process applications, and G4T customers continue to get priority, this must mean that less and less DIY applications will be processed.

So, is it possible that at some time in the future, it will not be possible to make an application unless you use an agent. If that happens then the early morning queue will still be there every day, except that people will be queuing to use the G4T services (maybe even other agents will be forced to use G4T).

No difference to the immigration chiefs, the same number of applications will be processed as before.

If that happens, then it will not be long before the charge for the service increases, and your "choice to use an agent" disappears.

Naturally, I hope this never happens, but it is a possibility.

delboy, you forgot to add: Only in Chiang mai.

Other provinces IM offices provide a respectable service. Chiang Mai IM has no incentive to do so as long as people are happy to pay 3000 THB to G4T. In fact as long as G4T is pulling in the cash there is indeed a disincentive for CM IM to improve their shameful service.

Archived