Immigration Promenada One Stop Service v2

Tywais

The reason we can't get Imm. to provide an up-to-date listing of EXACTLY what documents are required for each type of extension is because they like to move the goal posts and make, say we say, "specialized" requirements depending upon their feelings at the time.

Pay a visa agent, and they don't change any goalposts ........ extension approved.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In theory yes, but in practicability no. The biggest drawbacks are the people that turn up at immigration with inadequate documents and paperwork or discrepancies in their paperwork, uncompleted paperwork or don`t qualify for a retirement visa/extension testing their luck.. They are people that are gumming up the works. 1 person not showing immigration what they want to see can take twice or three times the amount of time to process, even longer.

This just isn't true.

They take the same time no matter how good or poor your paperwork is.

They are operating something we called in the UK a 'go slow'.

You work as slowly as you possibly can without getting dismissed from your post.

Missing a photocopy?

They have scanners and printers on their desk.

5 minutes to process each marriage or retirement extension.

Paperwork missing?

That doesn't stop them moving to the next applicant, then restarting when they come back.

But you know, pay a visa agent, and they don't pick any faults, no waiting, its all about the money.

Apologists are great, not only do they bend over at every opportunity, but they tell everyone else they should bend over as well!

I am not disagreeing with you. I was giving a hypothetical situation. What I was saying is, that if everything was running smoothly at immigration, it still would not be possible to process the 5 or 6 applications an hour for my reasons given.

What I was saying is, that if everything was running smoothly at immigration, it still would not be possible to process the 5 or 6 applications an hour for my reasons given.

And what I'm saying is,

If they were to employ me as an immigration officer, I could process 10 an hour with plenty of time left to chat and drink coffee.

(No matter how messed up the paperwork for each applicant)

What I was saying is, that if everything was running smoothly at immigration, it still would not be possible to process the 5 or 6 applications an hour for my reasons given.

And what I'm saying is,

If they were to employ me as an immigration officer, I could process 10 an hour with plenty of time left to chat and drink coffee.

And me. It's a piece of piss.

And what I'm saying is,

I would still like to see some reports about other immigration offices and peoples experiences with those to make some comparisons. Not having used other areas myself I don`t know. How many retirement applications do they process in an hour? How do they handle the 90 day procedures?

Phuket:

Extensions: 2-3 hours at Immigration. Could be less if you're early. No need to get there before 8. Maybe have to come back in afternoon if you get there very late. Pick up passport next day normally. Not sure how many they do a day. But seem to call next one up every 15-20 mins.

90 day in person: Easy. Especially at Patong. Girl I normally see there blitzed through a dozen or so in about 20 mins.

I also went for Cert of Residence last time. Waited about 15 mins why they cleared the 90 day reports waiting at the time. Then, in and done in 10 mins. And even that was down to the computer taking ages to load. COR issued there and then. Even gave me two. No charge.

So, yep, nowhere near as bad.

Sent using Tapatalk

I would still like to see some reports about other immigration offices and peoples experiences with those to make some comparisons. Not having used other areas myself I don`t know. How many retirement applications do they process in an hour? How do they handle the 90 day procedures?

Then here, read this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/880195-immigration-in-chiang-mai-as-compared-to-other-provinces/page-2

It's now locked but you'll read multiple reports of people from other provinces stating what a piece of cake it is to use their Immigration Office. Common theme: 30 mins max, in and out.

No one else - anywhere - gets up at 3:30 am to go to their office to stand in a line for four hours prior to the office opening for business.

Yesterday the "90-day closed" sign was up at about 2pm (I don't know how long it had been up). From my experience and as has been mentioned, this reporting takes about 3 to 4 minutes. If one person handled this, I don't see how you could not get through all the people on a given day.

This must be a manpower issue, or more to the point, a lack of manpower.

Amnat Charoen, covering Amnat, Yasothon and Roi Et.

90 day reports 5 mins.

Retirement extensions 15 mins.

Marriage extensions 20 mins. (40mins for very first ext with interview of wife and Poo yai)

Queuing tickets rarely needed or used.

Last visit, 9am BKK for letter and update passbooks. 90 minute drive to Amnat arriving 11am. 30 minute wait in queue.

Retirement extension, 90 day report and re-entry permit, out before 12am.

Over 2 years ago, plans were revealed to make Roi Et the capital city of Issan and a lot of preparation work for construction work was already in hand.

That included the location of a new Immigration office in Roi Et. Decisions had been made in Bangkok to expand the Immigration offices in Thailand,

so that no office covered more than 2 provinces.

All of these plans came to a halt when the new PM took control.

All central government spending has been frozen since, and until another election takes place that situation is unlikely to change.

Roi Et has the largest number of expats reporting to Amnat than the other 2 provinces put together, so Amnat have now stationed an IO at Roi Et airport 3 days a week for 90 day reports only due to the current delays in expansion plans.

The Boss of Chiang Mai Immigration is correct when he states there is no more money available, his hands are tied.

However reading most of the posts in this topic, it seems obvious to me that someone has taken advantage of this situation for their own financial gain and Chiang Mai have no incentive or reason to be more efficient to Joe Public for obvious reasons.......nuff said!

I'm afraid things aren't going to improve in Chiang Mai or elsewhere for some time.

Visitor from Europe on his first visit asked: " If this is what it is like why would people want to retire here? "

Because you only need to do it once a year and in the big picture, it's inconsequential.

Ah that would be great Trujillo, once a year.

But we were told if retiring in CM the report is needed every 90 days, is this no longer required?

Visitor from Europe on his first visit asked: " If this is what it is like why would people want to retire here? "

Because you only need to do it once a year and in the big picture, it's inconsequential.

Ah that would be great Trujillo, once a year.

But we were told if retiring in CM the report is needed every 90 days, is this no longer required?

No need to go to Immigration to submit the 90 day report. That can be done by mail or on-line. (The 90 day report is a nation-wide requirement, btw. Not just in CM.)

Then here, read this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/880195-immigration-in-chiang-mai-as-compared-to-other-provinces/page-2

It's now locked but you'll read multiple reports of people from other provinces stating what a piece of cake it is to use their Immigration Office. Common theme: 30 mins max, in and out.

No one else - anywhere - gets up at 3:30 am to go to their office to stand in a line for four hours prior to the office opening for business.

Thanks, and I guess that well answers my question. And thank you to northernjohn for helping to put us all in the picture with that informative thread.

The outlook for Chiang Mai, dark, overcast and a deep depression coming over from the west.

FAZ: How many immigration officers are there to serve people?

3 Desks, but usually only 2 are manned.

Total of 9 staff usually, two backroom staff (civilian), the Boss, his secretary and 3 Immigration officers dealing with public.

2 other IO officers come and go, I suspect there outworkers. (Home visits and collecting 90 day reports at Roi Et airport etc)

Around 2,000 extensions a year.

Amnat Charoen, covering Amnat, Yasothon and Roi Et.

90 day reports 5 mins.

Retirement extensions 15 mins.

Marriage extensions 20 mins. (40mins for very first ext with interview of wife and Poo yai)

Queuing tickets rarely needed or used.

Last visit, 9am BKK for letter and update passbooks. 90 minute drive to Amnat arriving 11am. 30 minute wait in queue.

Retirement extension, 90 day report and re-entry permit, out before 12am.

Over 2 years ago, plans were revealed to make Roi Et the capital city of Issan and a lot of preparation work for construction work was already in hand.

That included the location of a new Immigration office in Roi Et. Decisions had been made in Bangkok to expand the Immigration offices in Thailand,

so that no office covered more than 2 provinces.

All of these plans came to a halt when the new PM took control.

All central government spending has been frozen since, and until another election takes place that situation is unlikely to change.

Roi Et has the largest number of expats reporting to Amnat than the other 2 provinces put together, so Amnat have now stationed an IO at Roi Et airport 3 days a week for 90 day reports only due to the current delays in expansion plans.

The Boss of Chiang Mai Immigration is correct when he states there is no more money available, his hands are tied.

However reading most of the posts in this topic, it seems obvious to me that someone has taken advantage of this situation for their own financial gain and Chiang Mai have no incentive or reason to be more efficient to Joe Public for obvious reasons.......nuff said!

I'm afraid things aren't going to improve in Chiang Mai or elsewhere for some time.

Glad to see you have it all well in hand in Roi Et. Here in Chiang Mai things are changing at the moment they are not getting better.

How ever there is remodeling being done at the old airport office so it is not like they have completely forgot about us and it goes to show that money is being spent here.

How ever we are not sure what the plans are. I have talked to two of the officers in the Promenada and they have no idea either.

All I know for sure is with remodeling at the airport office there is the chance of it getting better. Remember they handled it all up until 6 months ago. If it gets enlarged hopefully it will mean more staff.

On a little bitt of a different note I was thinking that many more people retired to Thailand at this time of the year than many other times and that is why lately they have been sending almost 1/3 of the people home who are looking for the extensions.

With the 90 days I believe they are not getting the word out to the people that it can be mailed in. I doubt that most of the foreigners here in Chiang Mai follow Thai Visa and know that. They could have a big sign in the window with the address of where to send it. Also mention it to the people who come in to file. Maybe have business cards with the address to send them to along with the papers needed.

Just back from the Promenada to extend a tourist Visa . Arrived at 2 PM , filled out all the forms and handed them all in at 2.30 PM , got my PP with the extension back later in the afternoon .

They stopped accepting 90 day reporters about 3PM, due to having the full amount .

The Visa shop a few doors down wanted 200 Baht for six photos , I went upstairs to the camera shop and got 12 photos done for 150 B

Today was the day to visit the Promenada office. I was there today, shopping, and I took a look at how busy they were. I arrived around 3pm, and the overflow waiting area was empty, I counted 9 people waiting inside. The 90 day desk and extension of stay desk, were manned but no customers.

I hovered around the checking desk outside, waiting for my wife, and a guy handed in his papers for a retirement visa extension. The girl checked the papers and told him "Go to desk, no wait". I saw him go inside to the desk and the officer started to process his application. Then, two people arrived at the 90 day desk, my wife arrived, and we left to do the shopping.

If your extension of day expires in January, today would have been a great day to get it done without an early start. Wish it was like that every day.

If presenting to immigration incomplete or incorrect documentation by retirees in Chiang Mai is such an issue, why is there not a sticky detailing exactly what is required? There is a sticky for 90-day reporting procedures, so why not for retirement extensions?

I think that would be useful.

Because they constantly change and modify what they demand.. From day to day and app to app..

For the last 5 years every year they have wanted something different or contradicting the previous year.. With an app last year they wanted something then when it was obtained said it wasnt needed.

The staff they have is already working overtime at a job that most of us would loose are cool at with the number of people being disrespectful. There seems to be no plans to improve it at the moment. The officer doing the extensions smiled when I asked if he was going to get any help.

I posted I was recently in the airport branch mid / later afternoon.. Of the 5 active staff, and the more senior level officer behind not one was actually processing an app.. a couple were playing with phones, one had her hands behind her head and staring at the ceiling.. Just total obvious wasting time.. While in front of them anxious people hoping to have the honor of being squeezed in that day..

In theory yes, but in practicability no. The biggest drawbacks are the people that turn up at immigration with inadequate documents and paperwork or discrepancies in their paperwork, uncompleted paperwork or don`t qualify for a retirement visa/extension testing their luck.. They are people that are gumming up the works. 1 person not showing immigration what they want to see can take twice or three times the amount of time to process, even longer.

And how easy would it be to make a printout, a poster, or a handout, that documented PRECISELY what they want ??

What photos, what size, printed as photos or on paper.. Hand map or google map ?? define 'money seasoning' and define the proof required (transaction within a week or a what ??).. what size headshot.. etc etc etc..

Set it.. Standardize it.. make it absolute.. Currently they give out a very confusing (badly explained and vague) Thai language checklist..

If it was made 100% consistent for all officers,, Then it would be trivial to have helpers give it the once over.. Fact is each officer wants something very slightly different.

Because they constantly change and modify what they demand.. From day to day and app to app..
And how easy would it be to make a printout, a poster, or a handout, that documented PRECISELY what they want ??

Pinned threads on ThaiVisa are not carved in digital stone. They can be updated, so if immigration changed something, or oscillated about photos sizes, for example, that could be reflected by updating the pinned thread, yes?

From my 10-years' experience, I have not found much change in the yearly requirements. They're not all over the map. No use hyperbolizing.

If presenting to immigration incomplete or incorrect documentation by retirees in Chiang Mai is such an issue, why is there not a sticky detailing exactly what is required? There is a sticky for 90-day reporting procedures, so why not for retirement extensions?

I think that would be useful.

For the last 5 years every year they have wanted something different or contradicting the previous year.. With an app last year they wanted something then when it was obtained said it wasnt needed.

What photos, what size, printed as photos or on paper.. Hand map or google map ?? define 'money seasoning' and define the proof required (transaction within a week or a what ??).. what size headshot.. etc etc etc..

Set it.. Standardize it.. make it absolute.. Currently they give out a very confusing (badly explained and vague) Thai language checklist..

If it was made 100% consistent for all officers,, Then it would be trivial to have helpers give it the once over.. Fact is each officer wants something very slightly different.

Firstly...

I must agree that over the last 5 years I have been here, nothing has changed in the required documents for the retirement extension. The only change, for me, was because I had renewed my passport whilst in the UK and had had the "visa" transferred to the new passport, they required copies of an old stamp in my old passport.

Which brings me on to my second point...

In my opinion, it is not possible to produce a document that will state precisely what documentation is required for the retirement extension since many peoples particular circumstances may differ, thereby requiring differing documents.

Pinned threads on ThaiVisa are not carved in digital stone. They can be updated, so if immigration changed something, or oscillated about photos sizes, for example, that could be reflected by updating the pinned thread, yes?

From my 10-years' experience, I have not found much change in the yearly requirements. They're not all over the map. No use hyperbolizing.

The point is that a ThaiVisa thread carries no authority.. Immigration setting a public rule does give a precise list, with authority !!

But they sort of are all over the map.. Just my own personal ones of the last few years..

Photos..

Printed on paper not OK.. Needed to be 'photos' stuck to paper.. Next year printed preferred.

Previous years demands for picture of wedding.. This year told no dont want wedding want stuff you do together this year, holidays travel etc..

Wanted pics of road entrance to house.. this year not want..

Maps.. Google map not ok must be hand drawn.. later.. Google map preferred..

Marriage proof.. This year even went and asked prior to the app and was told I must go get a new one annually.. Wife got one from amphur to be told, no just use the same one each year !!

Seasoning.. Didnt need a recent transaction.. recently needed one..

Considering some things have no possible interpretation all the rest is pretty damn vague.. Every officer plays their own rules and each one has to have a tut tut, this is a problem, if you wai me nicely I might just overlook and solve it..

Set a simple rule.. write it up.. and that in turn makes the officer stick to it.. Consistency breeds consistency !!

The fact is that every application has to be based on it`s merits. Even if an applicant has all the correct paperwork an officer can still decide he wants to see more if an applicant seems is being deceptive, or doesn`t satisfy that the intentions for being in Thailand are only for retirement reasons or could have a criminal record somewhere, in fact there could be many reasons involved. An applicant only receives the final stamp at an officers discretion and maybe why immigration does not display a printed list of requirements?

The point is that a ThaiVisa thread carries no authority.. Immigration setting a public rule does give a precise list, with authority !!

But they sort of are all over the map.. Just my own personal ones of the last few years..

Photos..

Printed on paper not OK.. Needed to be 'photos' stuck to paper.. Next year printed preferred.

Previous years demands for picture of wedding.. This year told no dont want wedding want stuff you do together this year, holidays travel etc..

Wanted pics of road entrance to house.. this year not want..

Maps.. Google map not ok must be hand drawn.. later.. Google map preferred..

Marriage proof.. This year even went and asked prior to the app and was told I must go get a new one annually.. Wife got one from amphur to be told, no just use the same one each year !!

Seasoning.. Didnt need a recent transaction.. recently needed one..

Considering some things have no possible interpretation all the rest is pretty damn vague.. Every officer plays their own rules and each one has to have a tut tut, this is a problem, if you wai me nicely I might just overlook and solve it..

Set a simple rule.. write it up.. and that in turn makes the officer stick to it.. Consistency breeds consistency !!

That was interesting experiences over the years

Just goes to show how CM Immigration is being Run

Maybe the Boss of CM Immigration and staff do not know what is required

Maybe Bangkok Immigration do not know what is being done at CM Immigration or they keep changing the requirements

It is a pity that Bangkok Immigration do not do regular evaluations on the Boss and staff to that they are proficient in their Jobs

There was a report of staff going to Bangkok for Training

That will be interesting to see if anything changes

This is the problem us Falangs think in a Western Way

Unfortunately the Thai people think completely Differently

One day things might change, we can only but hope!

Archived