BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Immigration Promenada One Stop Service v2

At Prom this morning at 11.15 am for 90day report was going to do what I've done in the past once at Prom and always at the old IMO I get in the queue just before lunch ends and I've always been finished in 40 mins or so but NOT today big sign on the outside desk saying 90 day report ' FINISHED' a lady already there being told come back tomorrow but the strange thing was there was nobody at the 90day desk the lady with glasses who always does them seemed to be checking through piles of forms and I only counted about six staff in the place - approx. 30 or more people queuing for tourist visa extns. but only 2 manning the checking desk it seems to be getting even more chaotic if you ask me

.I hung around till after lunch as did a lot of people who stayed queuing but more were turning up so back again tomorrow 'early' I guess!!

Last week a friend went to renew his retirement ext. got there at 7.00am they got to No.35 and stopped he was 36 so he went back last Tues at 5.45am and got No.21 he said that day they quit at 30 and there was at least 15-20 turned away so it looks like we'll soon be back to the old 5.00am bulls--t!!!!.

Sorry for being a trifle slow today of course they're closing the 90 day report for walk ins early so they can process the mail ins for the rest of the day but last time I did my 90 day at Prom they had 2 IMO's working that desk so where's the other one maybe the stress is getting to them it's certainly not an enviable job especially given the very low staff levels?

Sorry for being a trifle slow today of course they're closing the 90 day report for walk ins early so they can process the mail ins for the rest of the day but last time I did my 90 day at Prom they had 2 IMO's working that desk so where's the other one maybe the stress is getting to them it's certainly not an enviable job especially given the very low staff levels?

They had the 2 lady last Friday Morning when i did my First 90 Day Report mine was no 25 arrived 7 45 left 9 45 2 hours

Will be interesting as time goes by

What will happen in Chiang Mai Immigration

To the best of my knowledge they process 90 day mail in at the old airport offices.

To the best of my knowledge they process 90 day mail in at the old airport offices.

well you certinally post your 90 day reports there,done 2 90 day reports by post now could not be simpler.

Just as an aside....I know a lot of folks think the situation at Imm is terrible & this is partly due to Thailand not caring about foreigners needing to do these things

But I would like to add on Tuesday my wife (Thai citizen) needed to renew her govt card at the main Amphur in CM

We arrived at 10:30 & after her sitting in a crowded area for awhile (about an hour) she was told no more que cards for the day & to come back tomorrow & better come early!

The next day she was back early near opening time & was given Que #61 & after 30 minutes waiting a worker told her to come back after 1pm as she would not be seen till then.

She went back @ 1pm & even though she was 1st after lunch Que to be seen it still took awhile & she finally got out at 2pm

So I just wanted to mention this because many times I have seen folks complain about CM Imm & thinking it was partly due to being a foreigner. I think the truth is

there is a very large population in Chiangmai these days of both Thai & foreigners ...Govt offices for many reasons are just very busy.

The last time we renewed her gvt card was in 2010 & it was a breeze. Not like this time at all. So I think it is not just the foreigners at Imm feeling the increased populations

effect on government services. The long Thai faces I observed at the Amphur yesterday were the same as the looks on foreigners faces I have seen at Imm on various busy days smile.png

No doubt an agency will spring up to fill the gap.

Just as an aside....I know a lot of folks think the situation at Imm is terrible & this is partly due to Thailand not caring about foreigners needing to do these things

But I would like to add on Tuesday my wife (Thai citizen) needed to renew her govt card at the main Amphur in CM

We arrived at 10:30 & after her sitting in a crowded area for awhile (about an hour) she was told no more que cards for the day & to come back tomorrow & better come early!

The next day she was back early near opening time & was given Que #61 & after 30 minutes waiting a worker told her to come back after 1pm as she would not be seen till then.

She went back @ 1pm & even though she was 1st after lunch Que to be seen it still took awhile & she finally got out at 2pm

So I just wanted to mention this because many times I have seen folks complain about CM Imm & thinking it was partly due to being a foreigner. I think the truth is

there is a very large population in Chiangmai these days of both Thai & foreigners ...Govt offices for many reasons are just very busy.

The last time we renewed her gvt card was in 2010 & it was a breeze. Not like this time at all. So I think it is not just the foreigners at Imm feeling the increased populations

effect on government services. The long Thai faces I observed at the Amphur yesterday were the same as the looks on foreigners faces I have seen at Imm on various busy days smile.png

The difference is that your Thai wife won`t face a large fine, or imprisonment or being deported once her Thai ID card has expired.

There are tons of spaces available for rent in the ghost mall, so why doesn't some enterprising Thai (probably attached to some farang) open a stand-in-line-for-you agency. Charge 2,500 baht. Foot massage girls in the office. Beer and snacks.

If I had a ball and chain, I'd be all over this like a bum on a baloney sandwich.

They had the 2 lady last Friday Morning when i did my First 90 Day Report mine was no 25 arrived 7 45 left 9 45 2 hours

Will be interesting as time goes by

What will happen in Chiang Mai Immigration

They are going to have to hire more staff. That is a given.

When is the question.

As I said in my earlier report yesterday December the 16th they were still doing 90 day reports with about 10 waiting inside the office at 5:00 . They are supposed to close at 4:30.

The last time we renewed her gvt card was in 2010 & it was a breeze. Not like this time at all.

My wife's last Thai ID card was issued in 2009 -- and on that card the "date of expiry" is "Lifelong." I wonder why your wife didn't get the lifelong ID in 2010? Age have something to do with it (my wife was born in 1944)? Anyone? (Sorry for the thread creep -- I guess I was dreaming about a "lifelong" expiration date on my retirement extension. Sigh.)

The last time we renewed her gvt card was in 2010 & it was a breeze. Not like this time at all.

My wife's last Thai ID card was issued in 2009 -- and on that card the "date of expiry" is "Lifelong." I wonder why your wife didn't get the lifelong ID in 2010? Age have something to do with it (my wife was born in 1944)? Anyone? (Sorry for the thread creep -- I guess I was dreaming about a "lifelong" expiration date on my retirement extension. Sigh.)

Hi Jim

Yes that is correct at age 65 she no longer needs to renew.

Also with the Thai gov ID as you get older the time between renewals gets longer

In my wife's case her last card renewal she was still under 40 & was only given 5 years between renewal

Now over 40 gets her 9 years between renewals

(agreed sorry for thread creep but being at the Thai govt card offices so reminded me of immigration)

They do as that is where they are mailed to.Many times my return slip has been dated on the Saturday so maybe they call in some interns as well to process them.

Online doesnt work for me but mail in is so easy, Cant for the life of me see why people would stand in a queue. 7 mail ins completed never more than a 4 working day return

at a cost of no more than 50 baht.

Had someone today tell me (Guest House next door) it took them 4 hours to do a Tourist extension and that she had met people in the line that have come a few days in a row trying to get a retirement extension but had failed.

She was told it looks like over 7,500 extensions will be done this year and it is a increase (by a marked margin) over years gone past. Chiang Mai is becoming popular and I have seen the difference now over 8 years.

Look, if you have not got it right after a few days trying to get an extension, I would say you need to use a Agent or just get up a lot earlier. One cannot be that daft.

She quoted that she spoke to another guy that told her if you were not in line before 6am, all the cue cards would have been used for the day. She said he will have had been there 10 hours all up by the time he was finished.

I am just too lazy these days and use a Agent. Stops a lot of bother an getting up at 4am does not appeal to me very much these days, when at one stage, I had to do it 4 times a year for just a Tourist extension.

Had someone today tell me (Guest House next door) it took them 4 hours to do a Tourist extension and that she had met people in the line that have come a few days in a row trying to get a retirement extension but had failed.

She was told it looks like over 7,500 extensions will be done this year and it is a increase (by a marked margin) over years gone past. Chiang Mai is becoming popular and I have seen the difference now over 8 years.

Look, if you have not got it right after a few days trying to get an extension, I would say you need to use a Agent or just get up a lot earlier. One cannot be that daft.

She quoted that she spoke to another guy that told her if you were not in line before 6am, all the cue cards would have been used for the day. She said he will have had been there 10 hours all up by the time he was finished.

I am just too lazy these days and use a Agent. Stops a lot of bother an getting up at 4am does not appeal to me very much these days, when at one stage, I had to do it 4 times a year for just a Tourist extension.

If the endurance and sufferance levels are laid on thick enough then the majority of people are going to use agents except for the die hards who refuse to admit defeat and will fight on regardless.

This is the general practice behind all this.

A plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.