BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tywais

Immigration Promenada One Stop Service v2

I know a guy, who used an agency, and had a problem with a mismatch on his bank letter (earlier this year).

It appears that a number of people, who qualify for a marriage extension, do a retirement extension for the sake of simplicity, and if I were married; I would be one of them.

The [variable] requirements for renewal of a marriage extension here can be ludicrous in the extreme. Good pal of mine has been married to his Thai wife for 27 years. They lived in Thailand, then his home country, then back to Thailand now for ten years+. One daughter who has dual nationality and very well educated.

Most of us will appreciate that there are many 'arranged marriages' in this country; and many others. Such arranged marriages can and are simply a route for 'undesirable persons' to sneak in under the wire. However, the laws/rules/local interpretation should really take account of the historical records of those who have proven themselves to be a benefit to the country and not a threat - should they not? He is one of the many who will switch to a retirement extension next time; as will several other friends as it appears that 'single' people are not much threat at all. Duh!

There are no marriage extensions done at Promenada.

If you want to avoid having to go to the airport branch for marriage things, just don't get married. Simple.

I have had some interesting experiences over the years at immigration. I remember my first impression when I moved here. Immigration resembled a poorly run circus. i never dreamed it could get worst. Fast forward to today and it has to be one of the most poorly run immigration offices in Thailand. Thanks to their efforts to be the worst of the worst, I plan on using a visa agency to soften the pain of my required yearly visit.

I think it is interesting to note, all the copies of your personal information you are required to provide these people every year is re-used. They merely turn the pages over and share them with other foreigners when they visit immigration. You just can't make stuff like this up.

Could the perceived incompetence of Immigration in Chiang Mai actually be a cunning plan on their part to get more people, like yourself, to use visa agents. Conveniently there is a visa office right next door to the Immigration office at Promenada, what a coincidence...whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I have had some interesting experiences over the years at immigration. I remember my first impression when I moved here. Immigration resembled a poorly run circus. i never dreamed it could get worst. Fast forward to today and it has to be one of the most poorly run immigration offices in Thailand. Thanks to their efforts to be the worst of the worst, I plan on using a visa agency to soften the pain of my required yearly visit.

I think it is interesting to note, all the copies of your personal information you are required to provide these people every year is re-used. They merely turn the pages over and share them with other foreigners when they visit immigration. You just can't make stuff like this up.

Could the perceived incompetence of Immigration in Chiang Mai actually be a cunning plan on their part to get more people, like yourself, to use visa agents. Conveniently there is a visa office right next door to the Immigration office at Promenada, what a coincidence...whistling.gifwhistling.gif

I think it could be from Bangkok Or

Who know who is changing all what happens at Chiang Mai Immigration

Is there a sticky that tells folks exactly what is needed to extend a retirement visa? Why the confusion about not having the right documents?

The requirements change everytime I do an extension. It's best to start asking on TV about a month before to get the latest version of what is required.

Comment about "Variable Requirements"

Read here recently about the 6 *4 and blue background photo requirement for Visa Extensions.

Yet on 25 December when I attended white backgrounds were being accepted.

Maybe it was part of their plan to "Give Happiness to the (Farang) People"

Mr K also had photo's on a white background a couple of weeks ago - I wondered at the time if it were written anywhere that it has to be a blue background. The sample photo's where it shows what size is correct has a blue background, is this the only reference to it or is it actually written somewhere that it must be blue?

Of course, if it isn't written that it must be blue, that is just another thing that different officers can enforce at will, but that is another subject altogether.

The requirements change everytime I do an extension. It's best to start asking on TV about a month before to get the latest version of what is required.

Can you elaborate?

I've been here coming up on 10 years, and I recall one change, but it's so long ago I can't remember what it was. I seem to recall it being that they didn't want something that they had previously.

I'm curious where you did your extensions for retirement and what exactly changed every year.

A friend was at Imm. Prom today to do his 90 day report and watched the retirement extension queue. He said (amazingly) there were only 20 people in the early morning queue and, of course, they all received queue tickets. It didn't appear that any were visa agents. Don't know if that means that Imm. is making special arrangements for ALL visa agents now or simply that the legitimate visa agents simply don't have any customers today.

No signs of action in the G4T office, but they usually don't get have signs of customer activity until after the time that he left Imm. Prom. anyway.

I was at Imm Prom yesterday, and there was an example of required photo

4 x 6cms Blue background

I was at Imm Prom yesterday, and there was an example of required photo

4 x 6cms Blue background

What shade of blue do they except? And no, I'm not joking, may be useful for members who do their own. But then they may just say 'not blue enough' or 'too blue' and send you off to the copy shop anyway.

//edit - a photograph of the example would be good.

I read the sign on the desk, the shade of blue?

I would say medium blue, not dark or light

About 4 months late with that one.

Coincidence, surely not! 1507122.GIF

Can you elaborate?

I've been here coming up on 10 years, and I recall one change, but it's so long ago I can't remember what it was. I seem to recall it being that they didn't want something that they had previously.

I'm curious where you did your extensions for retirement and what exactly changed every year.

I get them at CM. Going by the first as a base line, second time they wanted bank passbook updated on the day- didn't first time, third time they wanted proof of residence- didn't first 2 times. Now apparently, they want TM 30 and different photos. By my next extension, who knows what they'll have dreamed up.