TOT Fiber 2 U

Inn Between

Since March 2014 I am on ToT fibre.

Had to pay much more for installation (new long cable had to be installed).

I am very satisfied with the connection.

Little to no outages (except for a lengthy power outage at the switching stations some months ago).

Can not say anything about the IPTV.

I currently pay 1200 for a 30/3 connection.

I don't have a use for these high upload rates (I am not a "cloudy" and not a big uploader).

So I tend to stay on this "old" highly asymmetric tariff.

I've had Fiber2U for over a year now and have been fairly happy overall with it. It's certainly better than my TRUE adsl connection. As for the ipTV: it's absolutely terrible. I played around with it for about 5 minutes on installation day as it was a 'new toy' but quickly discovered it's next to useless and have not used it since.

We signed up for TOT Fiber 2u in February this year, the 30/3 Bht1,200 package, it came with free installation I just paid Bht2000 for the wireless modem. It's a lot better than the TOT adsl 13/1 connection we had previously. \

As far as the speeds with fiber, whilst it might get 30/3 connecting in Thailand the connections internationally can be highly variable, generally connections in Asia/Australasia are about 20Mbs, to the USA 15Mbs and to Europe about 10Mbs.

We don't have the TOT IPTV package but I do run two Android IPTV boxes, one is used mainly for Thai TV and that works fine, the other for UK TV and that works pretty well most of the time.

"New Inspire" is a recent TOT Fiber 2U promotion, with two different schedule rates:

(Blue colored tier) for the Internet with IPTV Set Top Box service

(Orange colored tier) for Internet only service

Below that are costs for providing the 'drop line' into your residence and the costs for selected type of ONU (Optical Network Unit) which is a Fiber Optic to Ethernet Router, Wireless would refer to WiFi service, and ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) is the capability for providing landline phone service.

The channel and VOD selection of the TOT IPTV service probably isn't something an expat would be interested in.

Would probably recommend you subscribe to an Orange colored tier with slightly lower price and look into getting a separate IPTV solution that offers more media options in your desired language.

Any current TOT Fiber 2U customer can swap to this promotion, but are obligated to at least an additional 1 year contract.

"New Inspire" is a recent TOT Fiber 2U promotion, with two different schedule rates:

(Blue colored tier) for the Internet with IPTV Set Top Box service

(Orange colored tier) for Internet only service

Below that are costs for providing the 'drop line' into your residence and the costs for selected type of ONU (Optical Network Unit) which is a Fiber Optic to Ethernet Router, Wireless would refer to WiFi service, and ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) is the capability for providing landline phone service.

The channel and VOD selection of the TOT IPTV service probably isn't something an expat would be interested in.

Would probably recommend you subscribe to an Orange colored tier with slightly lower price and look into getting a separate IPTV solution that offers more media options in your desired language.

Any current TOT Fiber 2U customer can swap to this promotion, but are obligated to at least an additional 1 year contract.

Thanks a lot

That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get.

Mods - Please re-assign if you consider this incorrectly posted.

My local TOT office recently asked if I would like to change to a Fibre Optic connection. As I do watch some television through an Android device, this seems a sensible move to me. But not being a technically minded individual, could someone please answer a question for me?

Living as I do, in a semi rural area, and also some distance from the road, will I actually benefit from changing to Fibre Optic?

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption, but surely the TOT cable, supplying me, will be a wire cable. Then how does having a FO link to my house improve my internet connection speeds?

Am I grasping at the wrong end of the stick (Cable)? blink.png

If anyone can answer this, would you please explain in terms that a simpleton, like myself can understand.

Many Thanks.

Mods - Please re-assign if you consider this incorrectly posted.

My local TOT office recently asked if I would like to change to a Fibre Optic connection. As I do watch some television through an Android device, this seems a sensible move to me. But not being a technically minded individual, could someone please answer a question for me?

Living as I do, in a semi rural area, and also some distance from the road, will I actually benefit from changing to Fibre Optic?

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption, but surely the TOT cable, supplying me, will be a wire cable. Then how does having a FO link to my house improve my internet connection speeds?

If anyone can answer this, would you please explain in terms that a simpleton, like myself can understand.

Many Thanks.

The answer is a definite Yes.

I'm assuming that you had someone from TOT comes knocking at the door asking if you want to change from your existing ADSL connection.

My experience was after changing from ADSL, and I live in Backofbeyondland too, the frequent re-syncs will be a thing of the past, a much better DL speed and an overall more stable connection

One more thing. I know a lot of the guys here are dismissive of the additional upload speed you get with Fiber, but if you get into the whole cloud backup, which is only really feasible with a 20+ upload, it's worth its weight in gold

Many Thanks.

The answer is a definite Yes.

I'm assuming that you had someone from TOT comes knocking at the door asking if you want to change from your existing ADSL connection.

My experience was after changing from ADSL, and I live in Backofbeyondland too, the frequent re-syncs will be a thing of the past, a much better DL speed and an overall more stable connection

As GinBoy2 wrote, Fiber Optic along with a newer delivery infrastructure can provide a more stable data transmission environment over that of older/decaying copper wire pairs. Less noise and interference means fewer garbled or lost data packets requiring resends (so the data will seem faster).

Most of the ISPs in Thailand are offering FTTH (Fiber To The Home) so the new Fiber Optic drop line comes right into your residence to connect to a special Fiber Optic Router used to convert the modulated-light signal over to Ethernet (or WiFi). In some locations the ISP will deliver FTTC (Fiber To The Curb/Cabinet/Condo) terminating and converting the Fiber Optic service to VDSL to utilize copper pair delivery infrastructure already in place. In this instance the subscribers would see no difference in service performance or speed as the signal conversion from FO to wire Ethernet is only happening a bit earlier.

Fiber Optic can be a more reliable medium. Most people won't see a 'speed' difference unless their previous ADSL connection was poor or problematic.

boozer, go for it and get at least the 20MB/2Mb package. I know you can afford it so get the higher speeds. The reliability of the FO line is far superior to the copper you have now. I switched here as soon as it was available and the line is always working now versus what I had before. Where your place is I would not hesitate as you will see a marked improvement in reliability. In Thailand speeds are a huge improvement and it seems to also help the international connection as well but not greatly

I don't see a 30/3 package offered for 1200 bht.

Is this an older package or am I missing something?

Yes, it's an older package.

Indeed there are all sorts of packages, we have 25/3 for 1,500 +VAT tagged on the bill as "Smart Business".

It does the job for us, and since I do a lot of work from home the 'Business' makes sense, it was however the only package we were offered when we first got fibre some time back.

You're locked in to the package you sign up for for 12 months, after that if there's a better package available you can get the TOT service centre people to make the switch.

TOT will sometimes allow you to switch packages (promotions) for 1,000 baht fee.

Also, when I asked about switching from our 15/1 package (no longer under 12 mo contract) to the "New Aspire" package/promotion I was told I would have to agree to an new 12 month contract.

TOT uses the word "promotion" to mean current subscription offer or package, not in the western sense of special discount or subsidized offer.

In my case the addition of a 12 month contract term isn't offsetting any additional cost encumbered by them (those costs would have been settled with the previous contract period).

It's just standard business practice, an attempt to negotiate a sustained/continued revenue stream over a longer period of time. A good tactic for them so, long as their customer base continues to be willing to agree to that and no other viable alternatives are available.

TOT in Phrae is telling me it's a 2 year contract. Same prices and speeds as on the flyer.

Installation is 119 baht, and the modem/router is 1650 bht.

I've been undecided because my ADSL is 10mbps and mostly problem free for the past 5 years.

Is it worth making the switch?

TOT in Phrae is telling me it's a 2 year contract. Same prices and speeds as on the flyer.

Installation is 119 baht, and the modem/router is 1650 bht.

I've been undecided because my ADSL is 10mbps and mostly problem free for the past 5 years.

Is it worth making the switch?

New Fiber Optic Service is subject to a 2 year contract, switching existing Fiber Optic package is subject to a 1 year contract.

They want to make sure their capital outlay to install Fiber Optical infrastructure to serve you gets paid off.

If your existing ADSL service is trouble free then you probably won't see any improvement with Fiber (unless you desire higher in-country speed (20, 25, 35, 45, 55 mbps), though it's unlikely that those higher speeds would equate with higher speeds through the International Internet Gateways to access content abroad. You usually have to switch to a Business Package (if available), or conjure up your own VPN/VPS route to use IIG with less contention.

The issue I've found is that ADSL service is being run over a way-older existing copper infrastructure (old phone cable), which is oxidizing in place and causing signal integrity issues. But if the Fiber Optic infrastructure is already in place nearby then new FO service could be established for you with a few days notice.

New Fiber Optic Service is subject to a 2 year contract, switching existing Fiber Optic package is subject to a 1 year contract.

It was 12 months switching from ADSL to Fiber Optic in Hat Yai, so it must be dependent on where you live.

When I switched to Fiber2U from ADSL it was a 12 month contract. I then upgraded the package after 10 months, and all they did was reset it to a new 12 month contract.

Then again TOT in my experience can play a little fast n loose with T&C's. Ask 2 people on 2 days about something and you can well get a totally different answer

Ask 2 people on 2 days about something and you can well get a totally different answer

That seems to be the case for most things in Thailand. If you don't get the answer you want, go back another day and ask a different person, or try a different outlet/branch/service centre.

Thank you all for the heads-up. I had 15 Mb download, 2 Mb upload and 1 TOT-IPTV for 890 Baht. Changed it into a 20 Mb, 7Mb and 1 TOT-IPTV for 750 Baht.

IPTV works reasonably well when connected trough wifi but sometimes it needs time to buffer. It seems to be perfect when you connect through ethernet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick question for those who already use one of those "Fiber2U" package: Do you now have a static (permanent) IP, or still a dynamic one (usually changing every 24 hours)?

Still dynamic. Static IP is available is you're willing to sell a kidney (ie: expensive).

Just a quick question for those who already use one of those "Fiber2U" package: Do you now have a static (permanent) IP, or still a dynamic one (usually changing every 24 hours)?

Dynamic. Why would you want to have a static IP?
Tons of reasons.

Reach all your equipment at home from outside home.

CCTV, webservers, ftp server, remote login etc etc.

Archived