Tourists keep off the water in Samui

webfact

Tourists keep off the water in Samui

364-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- The fatal box jellyfish attack that killed a 20-year-old German girl tourist has scared away tourists from swimming in the water although local authorities have come up with better prevention measure against the deadly marine animal.

A large number of tourists are still afraid to go into the water yesterday in fears that they would run into the jellyfish.

One bungalow operator said many tourists said that they are still quite afraid of what had happened.

They chose to walk along the beach or play in the water that is not too far away from shore, he said.

Yesterday the Samui Jet-ski Club staff tried to locate a large number of box jellyfishes that had killed the German tourist.

One staffer said that they have seen box jellyfish floating among a group of normal jellyfish.

Although normal jellyfishes are not as deadly as the box jellyfish, they could still cause painful stings.

He recalled that he had prior warned foreigners at noon that day of the box jellyfish and that they stayed off the water for a while.

But by around 8 pm that day, some tourists have decided they wanted to go for a swim again and by then, he had already finished work for the day.

Yesterday and today hotel personnel and life guards on the Lamai beach have been on the lookout at the area where the dead tourist had been for more jellyfish, which could have slipped in through the netted area.

They have also prepared first aid kits and vinegar to relieve the venom from the stings for tourists who might have been stung.

Other beaches around Samui Island have now stepped up prevention measures such as putting up signs warning tourists to beware of the jellyfish, especially in risk areas and putting up net to assign safe areas in the water to increase confidence and safety among tourists.

So far 12 tourists were attacked by the box jellyfish in Samui Island this year, 4 are Thais.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourists-keep-off-the-water-in-samui

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-09

The box jellyfish is the least of your worries in Samui. The water is some of the most foul in Thailand. The studies I have seen, on the bacterial counts of the water surrounding Samui are astonishing. In the ten years I lived there, I was afraid to ever get my head underwater. The water is most foul. And the authorities are doing absolutely nothing to improve that problem. That is what the authorities do on Samui. Absolutely nothing. That is what they are paid to do.

The box jellyfish is the least of your worries in Samui. The water is some of the most foul in Thailand. The studies I have seen, on the bacterial counts of the water surrounding Samui are astonishing. In the ten years I lived there, I was afraid to ever get my head underwater. The water is most foul. And the authorities are doing absolutely nothing to improve that problem. That is what the authorities do on Samui. Absolutely nothing. That is what they are paid to do.

I don't doubt it and would love to see a reference for this information so that we can inform the rest of the people. I have had bacterial analyses done on some water in Khlong Saen Sap many years ago and the lab that was doing the analyses asked why I was getting raw sewage analysed. Imagine their surprise when I told them some of the locals were swimming in the "water".

What I really want is some references for beaches in Thailand (not Khlongs) such as Patong, Pattaya, Jomtien, Samui, Koh Tao, etc. etc.

Haven't heard anything more about the garbage disposal problem/broken incinerator for a while. Everything all sorted now? For instance, additional rubbish bins and collections, and the incinerator fixed with the money that was apparently given for that job many years ago? whistling.gif

For someone who hated the place as badly as you did you spend a hell of a lot of time on this board!

What's the water like in hua hin?

For someone to hated the place as badly as you did you spend a hell of a lot of time on this board!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

It's a wonder he's not bitching about the Horse doo doo on Hua Hin beaches! bah.gif

Oh dear .... bah.gif we have another Samui " expert"who has no idea of how beautiful most of Samui really is......

.... must have staggered from one bar to the next in Chawang ..... facepalm.gif

'.... must have staggered from one bar to the next in Chawang'

I think I did when I first came here and wasn't diving the next day but I'm still here and agree it is a beautiful place to live and I feel privileged to live here.

With some posters you automatically know there is going to be a negative comment and I usually think 'here we go again'.........

I never quite understand how some people end up with all these problems they seem to have when visiting Thailand or just Samui....blink.png

It must come down to too much alcohol or drugs or both.... ?facepalm.gif

Shame, because they really miss all the good things that are here and that certainly outweighs the bad stuff ! rolleyes.gif

For someone who hated the place as badly as you did you spend a hell of a lot of time on this board!

I never hated Samui. I loved it for many years. But, I did have dozens of issues with the place, very few of which I felt were being addressed by the incompetent local officials. The water is better in most other places in Thailand, except maybe HH and Pattaya.

I don't doubt it and would love to see a reference for this information so that we can inform the rest of the people. I have had bacterial analyses done on some water in Khlong Saen Sap many years ago and the lab that was doing the analyses asked why I was getting raw sewage analysed. Imagine their surprise when I told them some of the locals were swimming in the "water".

What I really want is some references for beaches in Thailand (not Khlongs) such as Patong, Pattaya, Jomtien, Samui, Koh Tao, etc. etc.

120 tons of trash are generated daily on the island. Samui's current refuse facilities can deal with a maximum of 130 tons a day.The development and growth of Samui as a tourism destination has not included any planning to compensate for increased use of public utilities, and forcing the island’s limited natural resources to accommodate the greatly increased number of visiting tourists has caused problems. These include:• the deterioration of the natural environment• the accumulation of garbage, chemical contaminants, andother pollutants than cannot be eliminated• insufficient water resources and the deterioration of existing ones• damage to the ecology of the beaches and the seaSamui’s indigenous art and culture have also suffered a severe, negative impact. The traditional lifestyle has been swallowed up by a ruthlessly self-serving commercial culture, often both irresponsible and unethical, that has largely come from beyond the island's shores.

.....Samui's two most popular commercial tourist sites.....7-11 and Family Mart are a must for any visitor to experience . The cool thing is.....they're all over the island and sometimes right across from each others franchise!.....more so now than the coconut trees it was famous for!....the only thing I feel sorry for is how the tourist's day will be ruined by a hasty decision of either.....Domo or Doraemon.....ohhhhh too late your on the plane now.....

Archived