Two dead in police chase, angry mob of people protest in Thalang

Lite Beer

The cop on the motorbike trying to kick the 2 guys off the bike hardly shows that they (the cops) had the welfare of the 2 guys in their minds at all (they had no helmets yet he still tries to kick them off the bike). I can't honestly see how a few pills is worth 2 families being bereaved. It is a complete waste of life.

The cops if diligent enough could have logged the licence plate number and done a house search at a later time. But no. It is very rare to see any proactive policing done here. Just reckless stuff like this, which obviously really upsets the local community. Cops planting evidence on people here is not that uncommon, what is to say that these pills weren't. It certainly helps take the heat off the cops in this case.

It is very rare for the cops to be besieged like this. Would be VERY interesting to get the real reason. The real reason I feel will come to light if the supposed crackdown starts.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what nonsense.. At a police roadblock if for some reason I dont have my license on me or am not wearing my seatbelt and he waves me down I make like I havent seen him.. and 9 times from 10 just ride past fine.. Everyone does it.. Hope they dont look, then dont make eye contact, then look the other way if he waves..

I'm really surprised at you LOS for this sort of talk. If you don't have your driver license in Thailand then it's an offence. And you advocate ignoring the policeman and driving on. What irresponsible nonsense you speak. Myself, if I forget my license (which I never do) then I would just take the 300 baht fine.

OK nothing I have seen on video slowed to a crawl suggests any wrong doing by police on this occasion. As for the drug issue I belive the law states it is illegal to carry or use drugs THE LAW over a certain amount you are then a supplier so to say they only had 50 or so not a big deal is rubbish and a cop out wonder if you would say the same if they sold them to your son/daughter and they died as a result of taking them????? Let's get a reality check here they ran a road block they swerved into an oncoming police car they died there fault. If they were drug dealers or if they weren't does not come into it. As for the riots after it beggars belife that some on here are actually supporting it. What next the bombing in Turkey is justified for goodness sake people look at what you write and think about it before you post . Bottom line 2 young men dead there fault rioting after out of order.

Where's the presumption of innocence that is the foundation of a justice system? Even if the men had drugs, (oooh nasty, evil kratom and hyped up caffeine ) the police took it upon themselves to administer justice, and then apparently did not adequately address the families concerns.

So reverse the situation, if this were your child run down and you knew the police, unless provoked would simply cover it up, how would you react?

I would also separate the legitimate protest by the families and their supporters from the hooligans who caused so much damage

If it were my son or daughter, I have a hard time imagining them ignoring police instructions to stop and instead attempting to flee ... so the question assumes something extremely unlikely and basically unimaginable to begin with. But I do understand that users are just never going to see things like this quite the same way.

what nonsense.. At a police roadblock if for some reason I dont have my license on me or am not wearing my seatbelt and he waves me down I make like I havent seen him.. and 9 times from 10 just ride past fine.. Everyone does it.. Hope they dont look, then dont make eye contact, then look the other way if he waves..

As kids you didnt get chased by the fuzz sometimes ??

All too easy.. they dont stop at the first roadblock as normally sliding through one is routine as eating a sandwich.. Then they get chased so they run.. once running it becomes fight or flight panic to keep running.. Exactly the kind of thing teenagers do..

clap2.gif Nope. Funny thing. As a kid, I never got "chased by the fuzz". Not once. Imagine that. I can say the same for my siblings - all of them. And as far as I know, I can say the same about the crowd I hung out with. We were all raised better by parents who took our upbringing very seriously, as I did the upbringing of mine.

The nonsense is in thinking you're so special and entitled that you can openly ignore and defy law enforcement. Sooner or later that attitude will probably bite a person in the a$$ ... or worse, as in this case.

And there's not a shred of evidence, not a shred, that police corruption, as rampant as the whole world knows it is in Thailand, had absolutely anything to do with this incident.

Where's the presumption of innocence that is the foundation of a justice system? Even if the men had drugs, (oooh nasty, evil kratom and hyped up caffeine ) the police took it upon themselves to administer justice, and then apparently did not adequately address the families concerns.

So reverse the situation, if this were your child run down and you knew the police, unless provoked would simply cover it up, how would you react?

I would also separate the legitimate protest by the families and their supporters from the hooligans who caused so much damage

If it were my son or daughter, I have a hard time imagining them ignoring police instructions to stop and instead attempting to flee ... so the question assumes something extremely unlikely and basically unimaginable to begin with. But I do understand that users are just never going to see things like this quite the same way.

All too easy.. they dont stop at the first roadblock as normally sliding through one is routine as eating a sandwich.. Then they get chased so they run.. once running it becomes fight or flight panic to keep running.. Exactly the kind of thing teenagers do..

clap2.gif Nope. Funny thing. As a kid, I never got "chased by the fuzz". Not once. Imagine that. I can say the same for my siblings - all of them. And as far as I know, I can say the same about the crowd I hung out with. We were all raised better by parents who took our upbringing very seriously, as I did the upbringing of mine.

The nonsense is in thinking you're so special and entitled that you can openly ignore and defy law enforcement. Sooner or later that attitude will probably bite a person in the <deleted> ... or worse, as in this case.

And there's not a shred of evidence, not a shred, that police corruption, as rampant as the whole world knows it is in Thailand, had absolutely anything to do with this incident.

I appreciate your point but to compare an upbringing in the west, with the stricter code of ethics for police, to one in Thailand is like comparing mango to rambutan.

And not one shred of evidence to the contrary, either.

Can't have been that much of a disturbance if neither The Nation or Bangkok Post feel it worthy of coverage........

Wrong...They do not want to publicize so-called civil disobedience...might go viral. I hope it does one day...corruption can't go on forever.

Both papers are covering it,The Nation even with an editorial replete with jabs and the usual mistaken but highly touted references to Thaksin's efforts " war on drugs"

( Lots of good info out about how inflated the numbers are of the deaths caused by that misguided effort.)

The nonsense is in thinking you're so special and entitled that you can openly ignore and defy law enforcement. Sooner or later that attitude will probably bite a person in the <deleted> ... or worse, as in this case.

I appreciate your point but to compare an upbringing in the west, with the stricter code of ethics for police, to one in Thailand is like comparing mango to rambutan.

And not one shred of evidence to the contrary, either.

You said: "As kids you didnt get chased by the fuzz sometimes ??" And the answer was NO!!! That was a bust, so now you want to deflect the discussion to talk about western upbringing vs Thai. These kids defied law enforcement, refused to stop, and something bad happened. End of story.

"And not one shred of evidence to the contrary, either" Now there's a logic gem ... You're expecting signage at every accident scene saying "this is a no-corruption zone" or what? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Clue: you can't prove a negative. If you've got evidence of corruption here, then show us! Otherwise, you're just bloviating.

I'm really surprised at you LOS for this sort of talk. If you don't have your driver license in Thailand then it's an offence. And you advocate ignoring the policeman and driving on. What irresponsible nonsense you speak. Myself, if I forget my license (which I never do) then I would just take the 300 baht fine.

Thai cops throw a wide net.. and dont seem bothered at all by someone taking a chance.. I have been caught doing a u turn by a cop hiding in the bushes.. all just grins for having a go..

9 times from 10 is a shakedown stop anyway.. Ohh you have aftermarket indicators on your bike.. Ohh thats a non stock exhaust (despite it having a euro road legal marking).. Ohh you were not in the left lane.. Its so often just dream up a any ticket we can.. I see no reason why the pocket filling brigade need to be treated with any respect as upholders of the law. If you are committing a crime, its 200b in the pocket v 500 at the station.. Thats the real world.

Try driving around Cambodia or Indonesia and stopping at every cop who tries to stop you.. ohh your wheels over the line.. ohh you were not in your lane.. oh <insert imaginary offense here>. Then you cant go until theres a donation to the benevolent fund.. No I go by the 'sorry were you waving at me ??' every time !!

Thai cops throw a wide net.. and dont seem bothered at all by someone taking a chance.. I have been caught doing a u turn by a cop hiding in the bushes.. all just grins for having a go..

9 times from 10 is a shakedown stop anyway.. Ohh you have aftermarket indicators on your bike.. Ohh thats a non stock exhaust (despite it having a euro road legal marking).. Ohh you were not in the left lane.. Its so often just dream up a any ticket we can.. I see no reason why the pocket filling brigade need to be treated with any respect as upholders of the law. If you are committing a crime, its 200b in the pocket v 500 at the station.. Thats the real world.

Try driving around Cambodia or Indonesia and stopping at every cop who tries to stop you.. ohh your wheels over the line.. ohh you were not in your lane.. oh <insert imaginary offense here>. Then you cant go until theres a donation to the benevolent fund.. No I go by the 'sorry were you waving at me ??' every time !!

I been driving both car & m/bike every day for almost the last 20 years here in Phuket. I've experienced anything like you claim. Sure I've had fines for doing something wrong - no tax disc displayed- lost it, speeding in radar trap, and blocking a marked turn left lane. I was wrong and accepted the fines. I've never ever thought the BiB were looking for any excuse.

Archived