'Not one of us threw a punch': Aussie tourist speaks out over brutal attack by Thai bouncers

Jonathan Fairfield

'Not one of us threw a punch': Aussie tourist speaks out over brutal attack by Thai bouncers

One of a group of Australian tourists brutally attacked by a group of Thai bouncers say the claim they refused to pay for drinks was untrue.

Instead Aaron from Mildura said they were confronted for standing on the steps of the VIP area at the White Room nightclub in Patong on Tuesday night.

Aaron and his friend Trev were still in the club but two other mates on the end-of-season footy trip were milling around outside after one of them was booted out for taking off his shirt.

"We were standing on the steps of the VIP area, and one of the security guards came over and he's being pretty aggressive from the word go," he told ninemsn.

"And he grabbed Trev from around the neck and pushed him down the steps.

"I went to go in between them and I was king-hit from the side, and that's all I remember."

-- Nine News Australia

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sock of hearing about these murders. Robberies. Drowning's. Every single <deleted> day dy cowards who stack visitors to their country. Even most I have spoke with do not like this crime tarnishing the name of their country. Far past time to Boycott world wide the travel destination of Pukett. But by the looks of their decreasing visitor numbers they will ban themselves also In the day if the information age this can literally happen overnight.

In Thailand (and some other parts of the world), just a perceived stare will bring out the aggressive instincts in the locals - no punch required.

And from the article "The nightclub's management has sacked the five bouncers involved and condemned their actions". This is good PR damage control from the management. However, I hope that next week they won't be back at work at the same place.

In Thailand (and some other parts of the world), just a perceived stare will bring out the aggressive instincts in the locals - no punch required.

And from the article "The nightclub's management has sacked the five bouncers involved and condemned their actions". This is good PR damage control from the management. However, I hope that next week they won't be back at work at the same place.

Since the club gas been ordered close for a week they won't be working there next week

Yeah.....All you can drink for 800B....One guy of 6 takes his shirt off and gets bounced.....

Trouble already....The bouncers see 6 guys giving the uncomprehending drunken confused/angry/macho men stares while trying to figure out what's happening → and it's on......

Amazing - same stuff from the same areas over and over.....

Swimming with the sharks and chumming the waters at the same time.....Easy targets......by the looks of it too drunk to defend themselves and more to it than what they disremember....

Something must have been done or said prior to the event

what difference does it make? nothing can justify attempted murder. they were kicking the guys heads in. and nothing in the video can justify what the bouncers were doing. the guys were down. kicking someone in the head like a football means you want to kill them.

throw the bouncers and security guards in the video into Thai prison, two to five years. Next case.

Since the club gas been ordered close for a week they won't be working there next week

how about they close the airport. :)

Well, they're drunk Aussies, so they probably weren't squeaky clean. Probably drank more than the bar was willing to serve them on their free-flow tickets and were 86'd from the club. If the bar does feel its patrons are too drunk, it can cut off service and ask them to leave. If they don't leave, the club should hail police assistance.

However, under no circumstances, other than to prevent eminent injury to other patrons, is it acceptable for club security to use violence. The video shows an over-the-top melee and beating. The club has acted correctly in sacking the bouncers. Now, the club needs to compensate the victims and provide assurances of safety to its customers. It also needs to implement proper policies for security and train its security staff in those policies and procedures.

It's always the case afterwards that they were the victims... why don't you tell us the chain of events prior to the bashing so all of us here will have an idea why u got your head kicked in.

The chain of events are there. I am tired of people defending actions of thugs like this. it doesn't matter what they did, I am pretty certain though that a group of Aussie lads watching the Rugby would have had a few beers and been making some noise, I was in a bar with 2 Aussies and thats exactly what they were doing, what wrong with that?

Anyway, its the Bouncers job to ensure everyones safety in the club / bar of an evening. So, if someones violent they throw them out, if it escalates they restrain and call police,, simple.

No where is it ok for Bouncers to knock someone unconscious in the club and then chase his mates out into the street and kick him repeatedly in the head,,,

If I was the Aussie guys I would pushing them all for monetary compensation (its the Thai way after all) and / or for arrest and custodial.

Thailand cannot have this continued press coverage so I am sure their case would be taken seriously... Justice is required here for the good of Thailand..

It's always the case afterwards that they were the victims... why don't you tell us the chain of events prior to the bashing so all of us here will have an idea why u got your head kicked in.

From which point of view would you like clarification,the Thai or the tourists.I think we can pre determine the Thai point of view which suits many of the Quislings on here.

"Aaron said the group decided not to go to police because they feared being locked up themselves"

This says it all about the Thai Police reputation with tourists.

The Thai police are internationally famous for collaborating with Thai criminals and NO protection for tourist.

These incidents are getting more news time domestically. It seems the media have gotten the taste for these stories and given they keep coming the conversation is alive and well about the dangers and negatives virtues of Thailand for travelers. The koh tao incident is being closely monitored as are a number of other current assaults in the courts.

The immaturity of Thailand's administrators to not properly attend to this is indicative of so many of the countries problems. And they cannot do it. Nor really care. At the base of the issue, there is an attitudinal dislike for farangs. Combine that with a opportunism to take when they can, you get the lawlessness.

The chain of events are there. I am tired of people defending actions of thugs like this. it doesn't matter what they did, I am pretty certain though that a group of Aussie lads watching the Rugby would have had a few beers and been making some noise, I was in a bar with 2 Aussies and thats exactly what they were doing, what wrong with that?

Anyway, its the Bouncers job to ensure everyones safety in the club / bar of an evening. So, if someones violent they throw them out, if it escalates they restrain and call police,, simple.

No where is it ok for Bouncers to knock someone unconscious in the club and then chase his mates out into the street and kick him repeatedly in the head,,,

If I was the Aussie guys I would pushing them all for monetary compensation (its the Thai way after all) and / or for arrest and custodial.

Thailand cannot have this continued press coverage so I am sure their case would be taken seriously... Justice is required here for the good of Thailand..

While I agree with a lot of what you say, the chain of events is not there. All is mentioned is that they were standing on the steps of the VIP area when they were confronted, but what happened before that confrontation is not mentioned.

They are footy players from Mildura. Not hurt had their fun which ended on a sour note.

So many bad news stories emanating out of Thailand just going home is understandable and what most would do. Why get involved when you are leaving?

This talk of compensation misses the point. "Justice" and "for the good of Thailand" means charging Thais rather than implicitly suggesting it is okay with a sacking. It was assault. Justice means apprehending the offenders. Sure this case is done but next time...

Those bouncers will be reinstated or turn up at another club in the next soi, now with a reputation to maintain. And they will do it again. I dare say the ease with which they were able to commit to such a reaction indicates they are experienced.

good to see all the tough and hang "em high TV member’s up early on a Sunday..

Many obviously dont understand the ACTUAL job of Bar/Club/Disco Security ...it is to protect the customers and the property, it is not a fitness training centre to see how many people you can hospitalize or Murder each night.

IT makes no difference what the CUSTOMER supposedly did …it is the Job of the Security to contain and manage the situation with minimal body contact or force….end of

This is why in most countries Bouncers have to be registered and fully ACCOUNTABLE for THEIR Actions…..Assault is Assault in any country ..its just places like here; that look at NON Thais as inferior to basic Human and Legal Rights

These clowns should be prosecuted for Attempted murder ..no less

While I agree with a lot of what you say, the chain of events is not there. All is mentioned is that they were standing on the steps of the VIP area when they were confronted, but what happened before that confrontation is not mentioned.

Of course its not possible to know the full details.. But we do know the bouncers story has lies.. They clearly stated the problem started due to the tourists refusing to pay a bar bin. Fact has been established they had free flow tickets.. So thats the 'justification' clearly a lie..

If the bouncers or staff were unaware of free flow tickets (something I really doubt) or the tourists got scammed in buying them.. Its the bouncers job to involve a manager of some sort to address the issue.. This clearly isnt a 'refusing to pay for drinks' its a routine problem that required customer service.

So with that lie established.. We then have the video of the bouncers behavior.. Video that shows no one fighting back, acting belligerent, or playing rambo.. Again.. Evidence and fact of one parties behavior.

Lastly theres the (apparent) fact the same bouncer in that group cold cocked a TVP of all people, for no reason at all..

So you add those things up.. And the ever present apologists claiming that they somehow deserved a shoeing simply because they are 1) aussies 2) drinking 3) on thai turf and rules etc etc etc are sounding pretty weak.

Something must have been done or said prior to the event

What you guess may even be true but no evidence has been offered by the club owner, the police or the bouncers to assert this. Consequently, your suposition is just your guess and nothing more.

Of course its not possible to know the full details.. But we do know the bouncers story has lies.. They clearly stated the problem started due to the tourists refusing to pay a bar bin. Fact has been established they had free flow tickets.. So thats the 'justification' clearly a lie..

If the bouncers or staff were unaware of free flow tickets (something I really doubt) or the tourists got scammed in buying them.. Its the bouncers job to involve a manager of some sort to address the issue.. This clearly isnt a 'refusing to pay for drinks' its a routine problem that required customer service.

So with that lie established.. We then have the video of the bouncers behavior.. Video that shows no one fighting back, acting belligerent, or playing rambo.. Again.. Evidence and fact of one parties behavior.

Lastly theres the (apparent) fact the same bouncer in that group cold cocked a TVP of all people, for no reason at all..

So you add those things up.. And the ever present apologists claiming that they somehow deserved a shoeing simply because they are 1) aussies 2) drinking 3) on thai turf and rules etc etc etc are sounding pretty weak.

Just one question on the "drink bill lie". Does the free flow ticket include the price of lady drinks?

That all has nothing to do with what I said.

These Australians were pretty smart to depart Thailand asap. They were told the cops were looking ('hunting' the media said) for them to be interviewed.

Probably not much in it but they made the right decision for sure. They've got more brains than most 50-60 year old farang bar punters.

Australians are more savvy because theyre taught about SEAsia .

Its unlikely those Thai doorman thugs have police connections but the NAHK LENGs (street toughs/gangsters) definitely are tied in with the cops.

Street gangsters who are only 30 years old go into police stations to have lunch with senior police in the back room.

Ive seen this happen in central Bangkok. It'll be the same all over Thailand. Every cop station will have its NAHK LENG crew.

You dont wont to upset a 'connected 'nahk leng because he can kill you with impunity.

Cops go outside their juristiction in Bangkok to back up the nahk leng crew. Probably the same everywhere.

If the Thai thugs were sacked and they do actually have police connections then, ok, they will be back on the job in a week or two.

Wasnt singling you out.. merely wasting my own 2c..

But theres a general undercurrent (including in your quoted) that we dont know the full story, they probably did something to deserve it.. My reply is to say we will never have all the facts, so we need to establish what are facts and what is obviously a lie. From the evidence we have its clear the bouncers have lied, from the evidence we have, we cannot see anything that undermines what the Aussies have said.

Until the bouncers, the club, management etc provide some kind of proof (and dont tell me this club has no video system) that there was at least provocation.. The guilt lies squarely on the club and its security staff.

The "we dont know what they did" is just that.. we dont know..

Wasnt singling you out.. merely wasting my own 2c..

But theres a general undercurrent (including in your quoted) that we dont know the full story, they probably did something to deserve it.. My reply is to say we will never have all the facts, so we need to establish what are facts and what is obviously a lie. From the evidence we have its clear the bouncers have lied, from the evidence we have, we cannot see anything that undermines what the Aussies have said.

Until the bouncers, the club, management etc provide some kind of proof (and dont tell me this club has no video system) that there was at least provocation.. The guilt lies squarely on the club and its security staff.

The "we dont know what they did" is just that.. we dont know..

If you don't react to me please don't quote me. And no, I did not say or imply they did deserve this.

My hunch is the foreigners were likely drunk and being obnoxious very common here. From my experience many both men and women should be avoided. After nearly sixteen years here with the Thais i have never have had much of any serious problems. But then again i am not a common alcoholic.

if you hate the Thais so much perhaps you should leave. Never had any serious problems.

...I doubt that this reaches any Thai media...

...if it does...hold on to your hats for 'What happened, why and how...'...

...invite us here...but hate us....take all our money...and kill us at the slightest excuse....

My hunch is the foreigners were likely drunk and being obnoxious very common here. From my experience many both men and women should be avoided. After nearly sixteen years here with the Thais i have never have had much of any serious problems. But then again i am not a common alcoholic.

That would also be my guess. Still no excuse for the bouncers' behaviour though.

Archived