'Not one of us threw a punch': Aussie tourist speaks out over brutal attack by Thai bouncers

Jonathan Fairfield

Yeah.....All you can drink for 800B....One guy of 6 takes his shirt off and gets bounced.....

Trouble already....The bouncers see 6 guys giving the uncomprehending drunken confused/angry/macho men stares while trying to figure out what's happening → and it's on......

Amazing - same stuff from the same areas over and over.....

Swimming with the sharks and chumming the waters at the same time.....Easy targets......by the looks of it too drunk to defend themselves and more to it than what they disremember....

Good summary. I'm sure in some of these clubs the bouncers have ego issues. What good is training to fight if you can't beat the crap out of someone. So yes, in some clubs the bounces are the Sharks, so as a drunken farang, why chum the waters. Be a happy drunk. And if the sharks start circling and look aggressive, this is a sign to get up and move to a different 'watering hole' with friendlier calmer sharks or no sharks at all. I've been in Thai clubs where the bouncers simply did their jobs and where really stand-up guys. You can find overly-aggressive, ego-driven bouncers who really want to 'get it on' in clubs throughout the world. Thailand is no different.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always the case afterwards that they were the victims... why don't you tell us the chain of events prior to the bashing so all of us here will have an idea why u got your head kicked in.

Karlos the name answers all my questions lol.... Why dont you be a man and respect others or better still go back to where you came from

and what questions are they ? They're a tourist from australia and they should have been treated first class ? These guys are only having fun getting drunk and it's perfectly ok for them to misbehave and totally act in a drunken and rowdy state ? With the go back to where u come from bit, see back where I come from, u have to earn respect...

Yes there is merit in this.

Aussies are binge drinkers, Indians rape women, American Black men are violent and aggressive towards Police, Muslims are terrorists..... there are many more but I fear these stereotypes are quite boring. An act of attack is an act of attack. To dissect the nationalities and any stereotypes from back home is simply not useful. A mentality of ranking people means that I could potentially start wearing the star of David sometime soon. Best avoided. smile.png

My sons attackers were American. One was shirtless all night through 6 hours of footage. One had on a tattered singlet top. My son had on a button up shirt to the neck. He is Australian though and was selected as the worst personality type amongst the three due to this racial profiling. This is not the entire case in a nutshell but it helped people of rank avoid certain truths presented to them whilst they were being paid off. It all boiled down to this single point.

This is not an argument this is a DIVERSION from a fair and just discussion and examination. These are all DIVERSIONS from the truth.

Once this happens to you and you experience it you cannot imagine what this is like.

I'm sorry to hear about your son.

But lets face the facts - Party destination + free flowing alcohol + over inflated testosterone levels = problems.

Lets get off our high horses here. I'm sure many of the members here have been young and stupid before.

Bad name for Phuket. Bad name for Australians but this won't be the last incident of this nature.

diversions from the truth by way of racial profiling is just not helpful to anyone i wouldnt imagine.

i dont really agree that people are on high horses here but i m quite sure when fun in the sun in the land of smiles is marketed in Aus i would suggest it would be a shock to be attacked here without any reason and especially king hit. being king hit whether it be in aus or thailand is deplorable.

suffering is suffering no matter whether you wore the wrong shoes, looked at someone the wrong way etc.

these guys planned a bit of a get away and now their reputations are being dissected across forums such as this.

pls remember the marketing for thailand in aus is still land of smiles, sun, maassages, great food. its quite deceptive really but none of my aussie friends come to thailand expecting that this sort of thing could happen to them at any given moment. although i have seen that changing in the last few months.

also from experience, if racial profiling doesnt cause enough of a diversion it will go like this - harassing women, drunk, on drugs, not paying a bill, drunk, they fell over and hurt themselves as they were DRUNK. phone footage should be anyones number one tool when witnessing anything here.

'As you know... It's hard enough to find a level headed, mild-mannered, non-aggressive bouncer in Australia. I'm not being dismissive to the bouncers, but their are two sides to every story.'

Nope, there are three sides to every story: Yours, theirs, and the truth ;)

'As you know... It's hard enough to find a level headed, mild-mannered, non-aggressive bouncer in Australia. I'm not being dismissive to the bouncers, but their are two sides to every story.'

Nope, there are three sides to every story: Yours, theirs, and the truth wink.png

Yes - I'm sure my story will hold up well in their police report.

I'm sock of hearing about these murders. Robberies. Drowning's. Every single <deleted> day dy cowards who stack visitors to their country. Even most I have spoke with do not like this crime tarnishing the name of their country. Far past time to Boycott world wide the travel destination of Pukett. But by the looks of their decreasing visitor numbers they will ban themselves also In the day if the information age this can literally happen overnight.

Why stop with Phuket? This behavior is endemic to the entire nation. However having prostitutes as a basis of tourism will always allow a nation to do whatever it wishes to tourists, and no matter what, the male rut will have them flocking to procure sex.

It's always the case afterwards that they were the victims... why don't you tell us the chain of events prior to the bashing so all of us here will have an idea why u got your head kicked in.

The chain of events are there. I am tired of people defending actions of thugs like this. it doesn't matter what they did, I am pretty certain though that a group of Aussie lads watching the Rugby would have had a few beers and been making some noise, I was in a bar with 2 Aussies and thats exactly what they were doing, what wrong with that?

Anyway, its the Bouncers job to ensure everyones safety in the club / bar of an evening. So, if someones violent they throw them out, if it escalates they restrain and call police,, simple.

No where is it ok for Bouncers to knock someone unconscious in the club and then chase his mates out into the street and kick him repeatedly in the head,,,

If I was the Aussie guys I would pushing them all for monetary compensation (its the Thai way after all) and / or for arrest and custodial.

Thailand cannot have this continued press coverage so I am sure their case would be taken seriously... Justice is required here for the good of Thailand..

Aussies are binge drinkers, Indians rape women, American Black men are violent and aggressive towards Police, Muslims are terrorists..... there are many more but I fear these stereotypes are quite boring. An act of attack is an act of attack. To dissect the nationalities and any stereotypes from back home is simply not useful. A mentality of ranking people means that I could potentially start wearing the star of David sometime soon. Best avoided. smile.png

My sons attackers were American. One was shirtless all night through 6 hours of footage. One had on a tattered singlet top. My son had on a button up shirt to the neck. He is Australian though and was selected as the worst personality type amongst the three due to this racial profiling. This is not the entire case in a nutshell but it helped people of rank avoid certain truths presented to them whilst they were being paid off. It all boiled down to this single point.

This is not an argument this is a DIVERSION from a fair and just discussion and examination. These are all DIVERSIONS from the truth.

Once this happens to you and you experience it you cannot imagine what this is like.

But lets face the facts - Party destination + free flowing alcohol + over inflated testosterone levels = problems.

Lets get off our high horses here. I'm sure many of the members here have been young and stupid before.

Bad name for Phuket. Bad name for Australians but this won't be the last incident of this nature.

diversions from the truth by way of racial profiling is just not helpful to anyone i wouldnt imagine.

i dont really agree that people are on high horses here but i m quite sure when fun in the sun in the land of smiles is marketed in Aus i would suggest it would be a shock to be attacked here without any reason and especially king hit. being king hit whether it be in aus or thailand is deplorable.

suffering is suffering no matter whether you wore the wrong shoes, looked at someone the wrong way etc.

these guys planned a bit of a get away and now their reputations are being dissected across forums such as this.

pls remember the marketing for thailand in aus is still land of smiles, sun, maassages, great food. its quite deceptive really but none of my aussie friends come to thailand expecting that this sort of thing could happen to them at any given moment. although i have seen that changing in the last few months.

also from experience, if racial profiling doesnt cause enough of a diversion it will go like this - harassing women, drunk, on drugs, not paying a bill, drunk, they fell over and hurt themselves as they were DRUNK. phone footage should be anyones number one tool when witnessing anything here.

I am 'racial profiling' my own citizens because I know how problematic we can be (yes I am generalising my own people). Bare-chesting by way of taking our shirt off can be proof of what their frame-of-mind may have been.

Both parties were in the wrong. Let's move on. :)

I just would like to add my 5 cents.

I am an Australian and I know too well how idiotic we can get over seas. Due to the binge drinking culture that we have created, we can barely manage our own affairs on our own streets. Australians have a terrible reputation of misbehaving whilst overseas. We tend to think we are above the law because we are foreigners and because we are from 'Straya'.

We are quick to blame the bouncers but something would've triggered them to react in such a way. Put yourself in their shoes. If you had to deal with drunken yobbos every single night, being abused and dealing with heroes every single night, you can't expect them to be shining beacons of peace.

Sad incident but the fact that the Aussies were so quick to depart the island speaks volumes.

I've had good times with Aussies throughout the Pacific Rim countries, but really drunk Aussies can be a bit disconcerting. I can remember a time back in the 80s were a friend and I went to a bar in Manila owned by an Aussie with lots of Aussie patrons. We really liked the place and the owner. We did have an 'Aussie in their cups' moment where suddenly the 'Yanks' became an object of interest of a group of rugby players who were a couple of sheets to the wind. In the 80s both of us were athletic and far from being pushovers, but we just let the verbal crap coming from the most aggressive guys roll off us and we humored and joked with with least drunk and most sane guys in the group. Eventually everybody calmed down and we had a great time hanging out, telling tall stories, and playing billiards. I like Aussies and I like the culture. I'd rather be brothers than adversaries.

I am 'racial profiling' my own citizens because I know how problematic we can be (yes I am generalising my own people). Bare-chesting by way of taking our shirt off can be proof of what their frame-of-mind may have been.

Both parties were in the wrong. Let's move on. smile.png

Well i dont believe these guys were though.

its somewhat like the black police officer that attacked the black homeless man- its doesnt really elevate what happened in any way because they are 'your kind' ,as 'you' know them to be.

i grew up in australia and i can assure you that the people i knew in aus were not like what you experienced. i am not taking your own experience away from you. and we should not apply one schemata to the men who endured this experience. but what i would like to add is that this very discussion does do what thailand hopes that we do - i.e divert from the truth.

what we KNOW is what they have reported that seems to match with the CCTV footage. if someone chooses to call australia - straya- thats alright. hopefully they wont cop a beating for that because no one deserves to be treated in this way. suffereing is suffering.... these men could have died.

In Thailand (and some other parts of the world), just a perceived stare will bring out the aggressive instincts in the locals - no punch required.

And from the article "The nightclub's management has sacked the five bouncers involved and condemned their actions". This is good PR damage control from the management. However, I hope that next week they won't be back at work at the same place.

Problem made to be somebody else's now. That'll be 2 merit points for club, 10 demerits for Thailand. Keep up the good work boys

The chain of events are there. I am tired of people defending actions of thugs like this. it doesn't matter what they did, I am pretty certain though that a group of Aussie lads watching the Rugby would have had a few beers and been making some noise, I was in a bar with 2 Aussies and thats exactly what they were doing, what wrong with that?

Anyway, its the Bouncers job to ensure everyones safety in the club / bar of an evening. So, if someones violent they throw them out, if it escalates they restrain and call police,, simple.

No where is it ok for Bouncers to knock someone unconscious in the club and then chase his mates out into the street and kick him repeatedly in the head,,,

If I was the Aussie guys I would pushing them all for monetary compensation (its the Thai way after all) and / or for arrest and custodial.

Thailand cannot have this continued press coverage so I am sure their case would be taken seriously... Justice is required here for the good of Thailand..

While I agree with a lot of what you say, the chain of events is not there. All is mentioned is that they were standing on the steps of the VIP area when they were confronted, but what happened before that confrontation is not mentioned.

Theres more then that, read the article. And as I said it doesn't matter, they were not violent, they didn't attack anyone and according to the guys assaulted "they didnt throw a single punch".

Whatever they did the bouncers actions were wrong, it really is that simple. you do not need to overthink it.

its somewhat like the black police officer that attacked the black homeless man- its doesnt really elevate what happened in any way because they are 'your kind' ,as 'you' know them to be.

i grew up in australia and i can assure you that the people i knew in aus were not like what you experienced. i am not taking your own experience away from you. and we should not apply one schemata to the men who endured this experience. but what i would like to add is that this very discussion does do what thailand hopes that we do - i.e divert from the truth.

what we KNOW is what they have reported that seems to match with the CCTV footage. if someone chooses to call australia - straya- thats alright. hopefully they wont cop a beating for that because no one deserves to be treated in this way. suffereing is suffering.... these men could have died.

Again, unsure of the point you are making here. This is the 3rd time you have mentioned 'racial profiling' here. I suggest you don't get caught up on American media buzz words, cliches and propaganda.

Thailand is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Lets focus on that :)

Something must have been done or said prior to the event

what difference does it make? nothing can justify attempted murder. they were kicking the guys heads in. and nothing in the video can justify what the bouncers were doing. the guys were down. kicking someone in the head like a football means you want to kill them.

throw the bouncers and security guards in the video into Thai prison, two to five years. Next case.

Agreed.....while Beating, Kicking and doing bodily harm ( as in, brutal assault ) is not included in the job description and responsibilities of a bouncer at any bar or drinking establishment.

Their job is to control the crowds in an orderly fashion while their presence in the drinking establishment is more or less recognized and understood to be a sort of "on premise private police force" that can dictate and enforce the rules of the house and or restrain any patron, if necessary, and or have you arrested by the local police when called in to do so for disorderly conduct or violations of the in house rules, while any and all patrons are on the property or inside the premise at any time.

Regardless of what the victims did or said, short of hitting any bouncer first or aggressively and physically contacting the bouncer in any way .....the beating is totally unwarranted and the Aussies should sue the bar and the bouncers.......but I already know that would be a waste of time and probably escalate the animosity and hostilities....but just saying.

**** That is ......under the assumption that the victims really did nothing at all deserving of a brutal beating.

Other than that, this is just one more example of people drinking and or drinking establishments run amuck.

Cheers

Not so sure they would get no where with legal action now it has so much media attention. I think if they decided to sue the bar and the bouncers and push for assault (maybe even with intent with such brutal kicks to the head) I think it would be worth it, and I think that the authorities should allow justice be done to send a message that this will not be tolerated..

I would also sue them under defamation for claiming they were not willing to pay for their drinks which is attacking their honestly,,

I hope they do it..

These young kids protecting the business are dealing with hundreds of complete morons everyday, these 5 made them go overboard and they lost control. Shit happens. I dont condone it but i dont make a big deal of it because im not retarded enough even on 10 beers + yaba + coke+ whatever else you can throw at me to ever be a big enough to ever make people lose control and if you are able to make people that angry you should learn to deal with the consequences on your own or move back to nanny-states where you'll be protected even though you don't deserve to be part of society.

To 'make someone lose control' ???

Sorry thats the standard blame the victim, she was raped because she was wearing a short skirt analogy.

We are responsible for our own actions.. These men were paid to provide security.. That security is for the patrons as well as the owners of the bar. It is their job to diffuse aggression.. To prevent and restrain violence. It is their job not to 'lose control' that is precisely what they are supposed to be doing.

If you are in the bar business and you sell an all you can drink ticket- it is anticipated that people are going to get drunk. If you can't figure out how to handle people who are drunk without striking them or if you can't control your own security staff, you need to get out of the business. I would never enter this bar after what happened. Everything about is an example of a poorly run place. It should be closed and license pulled, if it has one,

Again, unsure of the point you are making here. This is the 3rd time you have mentioned 'racial profiling' here. I suggest you don't get caught up on American media buzz words, cliches and propaganda.

Thailand is a beautiful country with beautiful people. Lets focus on that smile.png

its american ? hmmm.......ok....with all due respect, again you divert.

its a great country with some amazing aspects to it ! no buzz words. no racial profiling. no reference to Thailands beauty or its lack thereof.

back to the issue - nothing can justify what was seen and reported. it is unwarranted and someone from that situation could have easily died. verbal, physical and psychological violence is a cowards path.

anyway none of points you raise make any difference to that. if it did the establishment i guess would not have shut for a week.

it is very easy to spin off into different arguments here but IMHO best to stay on topic....

best of luck to these lads and i am just glad we are not reading that one had been killed.

I've got news for you- Thailand and its people are generally a great place but there is a darker side and its real. People have already been killed under similar circumstances and for less. Until the Thai police and courts start to take violent assault seriously others will die on both sides. Develop a zero tolerance policy and you will see how quickly it stops. The Japanese police in Okinawa who patrol the bar districts where some pretty macho US Marines hang out have no problems controlling them. Zero tolerance- you assault someone or someone assaults you- it's off to jail you go.

Hours later, a threatening message was posted on the page, demanding the person who put up the video immediately remove it.

"Is this video yours? Please delete it. Your Facebook friends are also my friends. It's not difficult to find you," the Facebook user warned.

Too late to delete from the internet

But does show someone does not want the video seen

Someone probably one of the kickers

While I agree with a lot of what you say, the chain of events is not there. All is mentioned is that they were standing on the steps of the VIP area when they were confronted, but what happened before that confrontation is not mentioned.

Of course its not possible to know the full details.. But we do know the bouncers story has lies.. They clearly stated the problem started due to the tourists refusing to pay a bar bin. Fact has been established they had free flow tickets.. So thats the 'justification' clearly a lie..

If the bouncers or staff were unaware of free flow tickets (something I really doubt) or the tourists got scammed in buying them.. Its the bouncers job to involve a manager of some sort to address the issue.. This clearly isnt a 'refusing to pay for drinks' its a routine problem that required customer service.

So with that lie established.. We then have the video of the bouncers behavior.. Video that shows no one fighting back, acting belligerent, or playing rambo.. Again.. Evidence and fact of one parties behavior.

Lastly theres the (apparent) fact the same bouncer in that group cold cocked a TVP of all people, for no reason at all..

So you add those things up.. And the ever present apologists claiming that they somehow deserved a shoeing simply because they are 1) aussies 2) drinking 3) on thai turf and rules etc etc etc are sounding pretty weak.

That all has nothing to do with what I said.

Huh???? It has EVERYTHING to do with what you said. Nothing and no action should result in this sort of response by bar security. Their job is to contain or prevent violence; in other words to protect patrons staff & property. Not kick the living S%&( out of people who they perceive to be intoxicated or unruly. If they are that bad call the police, who have the same legal standards to adhere to. And unfortunately frequently no better. Doing things correctly has to start somewhere. This country has a wee leaning curve in front of it!!!!

Theres more then that, read the article. And as I said it doesn't matter, they were not violent, they didn't attack anyone and according to the guys assaulted "they didnt throw a single punch".

Whatever they did the bouncers actions were wrong, it really is that simple. you do not need to overthink it.

Sorry, no, there is no more than that in the article.

As I said myself, thanks for confirming again, there is no excuse for what the bouncers did. But that does not mean I'd not like to know. A post made by somebody else here earlier (obnoxious behaviour, removing shirt) seems quite likely.

Of course its not possible to know the full details.. But we do know the bouncers story has lies.. They clearly stated the problem started due to the tourists refusing to pay a bar bin. Fact has been established they had free flow tickets.. So thats the 'justification' clearly a lie..

If the bouncers or staff were unaware of free flow tickets (something I really doubt) or the tourists got scammed in buying them.. Its the bouncers job to involve a manager of some sort to address the issue.. This clearly isnt a 'refusing to pay for drinks' its a routine problem that required customer service.

So with that lie established.. We then have the video of the bouncers behavior.. Video that shows no one fighting back, acting belligerent, or playing rambo.. Again.. Evidence and fact of one parties behavior.

Lastly theres the (apparent) fact the same bouncer in that group cold cocked a TVP of all people, for no reason at all..

So you add those things up.. And the ever present apologists claiming that they somehow deserved a shoeing simply because they are 1) aussies 2) drinking 3) on thai turf and rules etc etc etc are sounding pretty weak.

Thais like our money but that necessarily don't mean they like us, truth is the bouncers hate us and only looking for a reason to beat the shit out of us, this time they used "refused to pay the bill" as an excuse. I bet all the CCTV cams was disabled and the police close the case prior to no evidence.

When you realize this is disgusting an unacceptable behaviour from the business White Room who the bouncers were representing, you ask yourself, what can I do?

Comment?

Share?

Like/Unlike?

You can always post on their Facebook, TripAdvisor, or other web sites to express your opinion and be heard.

Search https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Patong+White+Room

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Room-Nightclub/149132001903467

Facebook 2 https://www.facebook.com/pages/White-Room-Patong-Beach/164281810288466?_rdr=p

TripAdvisor https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Patong+White+Room+Tripadvisor

Any other suggestions?

ThaiVisa http://phuket.thaivisa.com/nightclubs-and-discos-in-phuket/

Here it is again, seeing as you missed it the first time round -

One of a group of Australian tourists brutally attacked by a group of Thai bouncers say the claim they refused to pay for drinks was untrue.
Instead Aaron from Mildura said they were confronted for standing on the steps of the VIP area at the White Room nightclub in Patong on Tuesday night.
Aaron and his friend Trev were still in the club but two other mates on the end-of-season footy trip were milling around outside after one of them was booted out for taking off his shirt.
"We were standing on the steps of the VIP area, and one of the security guards came over and he's being pretty aggressive from the word go," he told ninemsn.
"And he grabbed Trev from around the neck and pushed him down the steps.
"I went to go in between them and I was king-hit from the side, and that's all I remember."

Talk about blaming the victims ! Seems like that nasty trait is really catching on.

You really are treading on thin ice just showing up in Phuket. Go to a bar and then proceed to let it all hang out and you are begging for trouble. If you must go to Phuket and then be unable to restrain yourself from going out to a bar, to be safe you should conduct yourself as though you are going to a library. Keep your voice to a whisper, don't disturb any of the others, they are trying to concentrate on their work such as being a security guard or cashier or waitress. It is difficult for them and they should not be disturbed. If you are noisy, well, just like a library, you shouldn't be surprised that you are asked to leave. Personally, I'd rather holiday where it is fun to do so, not in some place where I have to tiptoe around the library lest I annoy someone and get into trouble.

Archived