Absinthe lovers in Thailand

KMA

Hi all- I just returned from an incredible trip to the 15th Absinthiades convention in Pontarlier France. It was the 100th anniversary of the absinthe ban in France. From Friday evening to Sunday afternoon, absinthe distillers, sellers, historians, authors, collectors and absinthe fans from all over the globe converge. There was even a fan from Japan who came with an unopened bottle distilled in Japan circa 1970 and it was quite good too. Anyway I know there are a couple of bars in Bangkok that cater to absinthe (the Circus and Le Derriere) but I am looking for individuals who also enjoy this classic and historical liquid. Maybe we can share some tips on where to buy, order online or enjoy a glass or three

It sounds like a wonderful experience to attend the 15th Absinthiades convention in Pontarlier France. , Although i understood that true Absinthe was still outlawed in France of all places. Is this still so ?

I am interested in Absinthe , not the fact that it usually has a high alcohol percentage but i like the ritual, the history and the whole Art Noveau aura surrounding Absinthe. I also like the flavour , although i have only sampled a few including that horrible Green Fairy shit that is often the port-way into and out of the world of Absinthe. I am also partial to Pernod and other similar anise flavoured "health" tonics.

I have been told that in Vientiane, Laos there is a small but very good source of Absinthe at reasonable prices , a connection with the French culture . It may be worthwhile you exploring that as well .

Best of Luck

It sounds like a wonderful Experience to attend the 15th Absinthiades Convention in Pontarlier France. , Although i understood that true Absinthe was still outlawed in France of all places. Is this still so?

I am interested in Absinthe, not the fact that it usually has a high alcohol percentage but i like the ritual, the history and the whole Art Noveau aura surrounding Absinthe. I also like the flavour, although i have only sampled a few including that horrible Green Fairy shit that is often the port-way into and out of the world of Absinthe. I am also partial to Pernod and other similar anise flavoured "health" tonics.

I have been told that in Vientiane, Laos there is a small but very good source of Absinthe at reasonable prices, a connection with the French culture. It may be worthwhile you exploring that as well.

Best of Luck

Thanks for the heads up on vientiane. I will do some searches. As far as real classic absinthe (not crapsinthe) most are now made ​​in smaller batches 10-20 liters at a time. There are a few distilleries like Francois Guy in Pontarlier france who produce on a larger scale. Here is a Website Dedicated to all the distilleries in the Val De Travers Region of France and Switzerland Http://www.routedelabsinthe.com/en/ . And just to put a nail in the whole light the sugar cube on fire nonsense, you will never ever see that here. Also most do not even need sugar. There are some incredible people out there keeping the tradition alive and one being Ted Breaux who I had the pleasure of meeting. He is a chemist Who Makes the Best line of absinthe probably Around Called Jade http://www.absintheclassics.com/ . Also Ted B. is even producing a tobacco liqour called Pirique. Do a search or two and read his story about distilling tobacco, it's fascinating.

Last seen: Sihanoukville, Cambodia... USD$10 a bottle (no tax). 60% alcohol/ 120 proof.

Best to follow the classic flame-the-sugar-cube, add-the-ice-water, mix & quaff method... outstanding, krap.

cool.png

Yes that stuff is pure garbage. most everything that is mixed and not distilled is. Also the classic flame-the-sugar-cube, add-the-ice-water, mix & quaff method is for hollywood movies only and is where it belongs

Last seen: Sihanoukville, Cambodia... USD$10 a bottle (no tax). 60% alcohol/ 120 proof.

Best to follow the classic flame-the-sugar-cube, add-the-ice-water, mix & quaff method... outstanding, krap.

cool.png

Yes that stuff is pure garbage. most everything that is mixed and not distilled is. Also the classic flame-the-sugar-cube, add-the-ice-water, mix & quaff method is for hollywood movies only and is where it belongs

Ok, you're the expert- I guess you're right. But, drinking that stuff with friends was a great time for all... of course, no absinthe snobs were present.

cool.png

cool.png

Ok, you're the expert- I guess you're right. But, drinking that stuff with friends was a great time for all... of course, no absinthe snobs were present.

cool.png

I don't think it is about being a snob. If you had a good time with your friends then that is great. Nobody would begrudge you that. But it is like comparing a cheap Issan spirit ,often referred to as Thai whiskey with a moderate to good Irish or Scotch Whiskey or even a good bourbon . Horses for Courses .

You can buy froggie Absinthe in tops - central pattaya looking at it 3 days ago

froggie Absinthe? Never heard of it and could not find anything with a search. Again if it is mixed not worth the money, macerated maybe. Did you see where it was from and how much?

You can buy froggie Absinthe in tops - central pattaya looking at it 3 days ago

froggie Absinthe? Never heard of it and could not find anything with a search. Again if it is mixed not worth the money, macerated maybe. Did you see where it was from and how much?

"French" - froggie...made in france Absinthe :rolleyes:

Archived