Wait Time to Re-enter with a Visa Exempt at a Border

I am flying in from the USA. I get the typical 30 day visa exempt upon arrival at BKK. I literally leave my return open ended on my EVA ticket. If I later make a side trip to Cambodia, when can I re-enter Thailand by land and get another visa exempt stamp? I hear that immediate exit and return turna-arounds are not being allowed, so what is being allowed? Has anybody gotten a visa exempt stamp at a border crossing at any time recently?

You can get a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Not sure about Poi Pet yet. Ban Pakard and Ban Laem will allow out/in visa exempt crossing if you have not exceed a limit of 90 days on visa exempt entries in a calendar yea.

You can get a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

Not sure about Poi Pet yet. Ban Pakard and Ban Laem will allow out/in visa exempt crossing if you have not exceed a limit of 90 days on visa exempt entries in a calendar yea.

Joe

Any official word on this 90 day limit on visa exempt entries?

Will any refusal of entry be formally recorded in passports?

Does this apply to all entry points to the Kingdom?

Joe

The requirement has been set by immigration division 3 from info I have gotten. I it only covers the 4 southern Cambodia and Khachaturian crossings that are in their area of responsibility

More info on the rules is here on http://www.thaivisaservice.com/ website..

Joe

The requirement has been set by immigration division 3 from info I have gotten. I it only covers the 4 southern Cambodia and Khachaturian crossings that are in their area of responsibility

More info on the rules is here on http://www.thaivisaservice.com/ website..

Thanks I had seen that but it makes no reference to Immigration Div 3 or any other official source for their statement.

I accept that "thaivisaservice" service has,in the past been proven to provide reliable information.

Reports suggest the 30-day visa exempt border runs are back on at all border crossings.

Some are suggesting they are now limited to 3x a calendar year, i.e. 90 days.

As far as I know the 90 days is only for the crossings that were not allowing them at for a while.

It seems the Lao crossings are not putting the restrictions in place for Laotians or anybody else.

Joe

I remain puzzled by this alleged restriction on visa exempt entries which are said to affect only a few land border crossings.

This "restriction" does not seem to accord with the Immigration Act so how can it be put in place and under whose authority.?

I realise I may be asking the unanswerable but would welcome your view(s)

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

Joe

I remain puzzled by this alleged restriction on visa exempt entries which are said to affect only a few land border crossings.

This "restriction" does not seem to accord with the Immigration Act so how can it be put in place and under whose authority.?

There is no mention of visa exempt entries in the immigration act. They were created by a ministerial regulation done a lot of years ago.

I don't think it effects tourists that leave that leave the county for a period of time and then re-enter. It is only meant for serial border runners going for out/in visa exempt entries at the crossing I mentioned.

Authority? Perhaps article 44 of the interim constitution.

Joe

There is no mention of visa exempt entries in the immigration act. They were created by a ministerial regulation done a lot of years ago.

I don't think it effects tourists that leave that leave the county for a period of time and then re-enter. It is only meant for serial border runners going for out/in visa exempt entries at the crossing I mentioned.

Authority? Perhaps article 44 of the interim constitution.

Thankyou

Reports suggest the 30-day visa exempt border runs are back on at all border crossings.

As far as I know the 90 days is only for the crossings that were not allowing them at for a while.

It seems the Lao crossings are not putting the restrictions in place for Laotians or anybody else.

Yes, but this (if confirmed and enforced) will have serious effects on Laotians who do monthly border runs from Pattaya to Cambodia, in order to stay "legal".

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Yes, but this (if confirmed and enforced) will have serious effects on Laotians who do monthly border runs from Pattaya to Cambodia, in order to stay "legal".

Do the visa exempt entries obtained by Laotians allow them to legally work?

• Like 1

Do the visa exempt entries obtained by Laotians allow them to legally work?

No.

Sorry but that appears to be the reason for the new rule. They want people to get a visa instead of doing border runs.

Sorry but that appears to be the reason for the new rule. They want people to get a visa instead of doing border runs.

Yes. I just wish there was a visa for an unmarried Laotian to stay in Thailand with their Thai/farang family. So many currently do so and, up until now, have done so legally by doing monthly border runs. If this is really going to be no longer available, I guess most will just stay illegally. At least for them, the fine is minimal when they do need to leave Thailand, but the worry is if they get picked up by the police while in Thailand.

The little IO in my head understands that a regional division is now having an interpretation, in that an entry after "exceeding a limit of 90 days on visa exempt entries in a calendar year" constitutes a "Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run เพื่อให้ได้รับสิทธิในการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรต่อเนื่องที่มิใช่เหตุผลเพื่อการท่องเที่ยว"

When the May 2014 regulation was published, it has been widly publicised and understood that it tries to regulate back-to-back visa exempt out-ins. However, the wording of the said regulation, as you can see it (sorry, can not find the translated version), is not so specific and open for a lot of interpretations.

Athough it looks like the new interpretation is a face-saving measure for a bad behavier,I have to wait to see if it really goes back to the widly-shared interpretation.

Edited by chaawlepcha

The little IO in my head understands that a regional division is now having an interpretation, in that an entry "exceeding a limit of 90 days on visa exempt entries in a calendar year" constitutes a "Out-In ในลักษณะของ Visa run เพื่อให้ได้รับสิทธิในการอยู่ในราชอาณาจักรต่อเนื่องที่มิใช่เหตุผลเพื่อการท่องเที่ยว"

When the May 2014 regulation was published, it has been widly publicised and understood that it tries to regulate back-to-back visa exempt out-ins. However, the wording of the said regulation, as you can see it (sorry, can not find the translated version), is not so specific and open for a lot of interpretations.

Athough it looks like the new interpretation is a face-saving measure for a bad behavier,I have to wait to see if it really goes back to the widly-shared interpretation.

Where does that come from?

Please provide links and or references

แนวทางปฏิบัติของ สตม.ในการตรวจคนเข้าเมืองของบุคคลสัญชาติเป้าหมาย

บันทึก 8 พฤษภาคม 2557

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/base.php?page=readmore&id=1895&section=notice

Thanks.

That appears to be over 12 months old!

There is nothing in that notice that mentions 90 days as a limit.

"No Border Out-In is allowed in the Visa run to gain the right to remain in the country continuously for reasons other than tourism."

That was when they first tightened up on border runs.

• Like 1