Right size air-conditioner for 30 sqm studio?

moonseeker

Actually it recommends 24,000 btu for Extremely hot/cold in season (and Thailand is hot conditions compared with South Africa)

January is the hottest month in Pretoria with an average temperature of 24°C
April is the hottest month in Bangkok with an average temperature of 31°C (87°F) and the coldest is December at 26°C (79°F)

Just saying... I have 18 sqm bedroom with 9K BTU A/C and set to 25C is very comfortable for me. Sometimes I open up "window" shutter that I have in the bedroom out to the living area for additional 40 sqm and the 9K will make that comfortable - like about 28C. I use ceiling fans to distribute air when I do that.

IMO the calculators are very conservative and perhaps designed by mfg of A/Cs.

@Lopburi maybe the OP is in chiang mai smile.png

Still a far cry from max of 24 degree - gets colder than Bangkok but also gets just about as hot.smile.png

But the big difference is those who live here do not need temperature to be nearly as low as those that live in colder areas to be comfortable (generally speaking). I find 9k cools my 26 square meter bedroom to a comfort level of 27/28 even on hottest days. If it were a work area suspect would need more. But there just are too many variables to have one rule fits all.

Still a far cry from max of 24 degree - gets colder than Bangkok but also gets just about as hot.smile.png

But the big difference is those who live here do not need temperature to be nearly as low as those that live in colder areas to be comfortable (generally speaking). I find 9k cools my 26 square meter bedroom to a comfort level of 27/28 even on hottest days. If it were a work area suspect would need more. But there just are too many variables to have one rule fits all.

Ok whatever... I provided the OP with a link to work out what he needs.

If you got something better then help him out and stop trying to be a smart ass...

18,000 BTU will be fantastic :)

This chart is very much applicable to Thailand, because it was made by Thai AC experts:

http://rung-ruengair.com/new/InformationAir.html

According to it, 18K BTU would be borderline on hot days - it recommends 21K BTU.

That said, check the actual specs on the unit - some "18K" ones are only 17K - others might be closer to 19K or more. I'd say once you've got some furniture in there taking up some cubic meters, a good 18K BTU unit would be fine.

This chart is very much applicable to Thailand, because it was made by Thai AC experts:

According to it, 18K BTU would be borderline on hot days - it recommends 21K BTU.

That said, check the actual specs on the unit - some "18K" ones are only 17K - others might be closer to 19K or more. I'd say once you've got some furniture in there taking up some cubic meters, a good 18K BTU unit would be fine.

Having looked at the chart it is easy to see that it was "made by Thai AC experts" exactly the same ones who always oversize the AC.

For my bedroom it says I need a 12,000 BTU unit, I would be happy with a 7,000 BTU unit if it was available, but 9,000 is the smallest.

They recommend 700 to 800 BTU SQM night time and 800 to 900BTU SQM daytime ,and I find that with almost no insulation 550 BTU SQM is more than enough all the time.

Having looked at the chart it is easy to see that it was "made by Thai AC experts" exactly the same ones who always oversize the AC.

For my bedroom it says I need a 12,000 BTU unit, I would be happy with a 7,000 BTU unit if it was available, but 9,000 is the smallest.

They recommend 700 to 800 BTU SQM night time and 800 to 900BTU SQM daytime ,and I find that with almost no insulation 550 BTU SQM is more than enough all the time.

Ever experienced a 45+ celcius day though? That's where the sizing comes from - not just what you need on average days/nights, but what you need when it gets properly hot outside.

Actually the temperature has never reached above 45 degrees in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/117968-thailand-has-its-hottest-day-in-47-years/#entry1271326

And it is very seldom even close. But it is very humid and that requires airconditioning that is not over rated to properly remove excess water.

Ever experienced a 45+ celcius day though? That's where the sizing comes from - not just what you need on average days/nights, but what you need when it gets properly hot outside.

As Lopburi3 has said your 45+ celcius day Is fantasy. The hottest recorded temperature in Thailand was 44.05C in Uttaradit on 27 April 1960.

2011 40.7 Buriram,

2012 41.7 Lampang, Phrae and Tak.

And sensible sizing of AC is not to size so that it never runs continually, during the hottest part of the hottest days it should run continually, otherwise it will short cycle at lower temperatures making it unable to reduce the humidity effectively.

I for one do not want to cool more than a maximum of 10 degrees and more often 4 or 5 with a reduction in humility. I will often use a fan as well as the AC so I can have a higher comfortable temperature and reduce the temperature shock when going out of the AC area.

If you want to cool from 35 degrees to 15 degrees then the Thai recommend sizes will be good.

Actually the temperature has never reached above 45 degrees in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/117968-thailand-has-its-hottest-day-in-47-years/#entry1271326

And it is very seldom even close. But it is very humid and that requires airconditioning that is not over rated to properly remove excess water.

These temperatures are measured outside - inside temps easily get above that.

Anyway, if you are happy using a small AC and have it struggle/fail to achieve your desired temp on hot days, up to you :)

Having lived here for over 12 years I can assure you that for 30 square meters, 12,000 BTU will be adequate. Go up to 18,000 only if you live in an unshaded room. This way it will cool down quicker. But as for going from 30 to 24 degrees for sleeping at night, 12,000 will do fine....

At least 15 000 BTU, 18 000 BTU being ideal.
Of course 12 000 can do it too, but it's going to kill your compressor very fast as it will run long hours every day especially in march-april.

It also depends on how many degrees you set it.

If you stay reasonable, like 27-28 degrees, 15 000 should be ok, if you want to have 25 degrees or less, then definitely go for a 18 000.

As Lopburi3 has said your 45+ celcius day Is fantasy. The hottest recorded temperature in Thailand was 44.05C in Uttaradit on 27 April 1960.

2011 40.7 Buriram,

2012 41.7 Lampang, Phrae and Tak.

And sensible sizing of AC is not to size so that it never runs continually, during the hottest part of the hottest days it should run continually, otherwise it will short cycle at lower temperatures making it unable to reduce the humidity effectively.

I for one do not want to cool more than a maximum of 10 degrees and more often 4 or 5 with a reduction in humility. I will often use a fan as well as the AC so I can have a higher comfortable temperature and reduce the temperature shock when going out of the AC area.

If you want to cool from 35 degrees to 15 degrees then the Thai recommend sizes will be good.

Having an ac unit that is too small so that it runs continuously is one of the quickest ways to destroy one. The other option is to never clean one.

Without knowing how cool you want it to be but I would say anywhere from 9,000 BTU to 13,000 BTU's should be about right. If you live on the top floor the roof gives off a lot of heat from the sun so in that case 13,000 BTU would be better.

With AC Units bigger is not better. I wouldn't go over 13,000 BTU. With a larger unit you are just going to get more starts and stops with a larger compressor which will cost you more money on your electric bill, The AC Unit also acts as a dehumidifier but to work properly it needs to be running longer so moist air hits the cool coils, which a larger unit will not do well for you.

I installed 13,000 BTU in my room the same size as yours which since I like it set at only 26 C might even be too large. But this room is also well shaded and nothing giving off any heat. It still works well though and no problem on the hottest day or if I want it cooler. .

From the O/P

"Location Pattaya"

so you have the choice ....... from the responses ... 9,000 BTU up to 24,000 BTU .....

good luck ......... crazy.gif

Hard to say which is the better resource ... Thai Visa or a Magic Eight Ball

post-145917-0-05577400-1444912936_thumb.

Archived