Thais Telling You You're Fat

Bellatrix

Not that I should have to defend myself, but I'm definitely *not* fat, thought don't have a waifish figure either, but I've been told by many people here that I'm fat, and though none of them have been trying to be malicious, it annoys me. I've tried explaining that in my culture calling someone fat is the same as calling someone ugly, but so far I've just been told "Try to understand Thai culture".

Have you guys experienced this not so delightful aspect of "Thai culture" and if so how do you suggest one responds?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I should have to defend myself, but I'm definitely *not* fat, thought don't have a waifish figure either, but I've been told by many people here that I'm fat, and though none of them have been trying to be malicious, it annoys me. I've tried explaining that in my culture calling someone fat is the same as calling someone ugly, but so far I've just been told "Try to understand Thai culture".

Have you guys experienced this not so delightful aspect of "Thai culture" and if so how do you suggest one responds?

Easy

Just say THANK YOU. :o

Thai food is very good :D

Easy

Just say THANK YOU. :o

Thai food is very good :D

Excellent answer.

People really aren't being malicious when saying that.. it's sort of a term of endearment.

I always remember a story that one of the members here called Insight recounted about this very subject, I'll try and dig it out, it's very funny.

So... in short... don't try to defend yourself.. there's no need, I would recommend you do as Ivanlaw suggests, and then think nothing of it.

totster :D

try jogging - it will burn the fat off ya , just stick to it even in the heat.

Jenny Craig?

When I first arrived in Thailand, I was of average western size. I found it near impossible to buy clothes to fit since I have hips and wider shoulders than most Thai gals. The sales assistants would tell me "we hab big size" or "no hab big size"... I didn't see myself as "big" darnit ... I was NORMAL!!! :D

Four years on, after eating a Thai "diet" I can wear anything I like. I am now the same size as I was at age 16 :D The Thai women tell me how "sexy" I am and my western friends tell me I am "too thin".... go figure!!! :o

You may think I'm fat but I tomorrow I may be slim - you are impolite, what can you do?

Dont take it to hart. Western women are usally bigger than Thais, it's just a matter of fact. Also they usually lack the vocabulary to use words like curvy. The west teaches us to fear the word fat it is used as the ultimate insult but it is not the same here. It is really just a word. I usually get called fat followed by lovely or beautiful in the same sentence. So you can expalin to thouse close to you that you don't like to be called that but otherwise I would let it go.

I agree with meme, I get a lot of fat & sexy (from thai women mostly!) or fat & beatiful (older women) & it am always being touched as I am very fair skinned, My MIL is slightly obessed with my figure & likes to run her hands over my hips & occasionlly my boobs too :o

Sometimes though, you know someone is being malicious so my best one that tends to shut the person up really quick is "thank you so much, so are you" said with a big smile on my face & nodding action whilst looking them up & down :D It's amazing how it isn't considered rude or to be offensive when thai (even when they intend it to be) says to farang but when you say it back, their smile ALWAYS drops :D

I am 6 ft & have an amazon build so even if I was a a skelton thai people would think I was "big" size cause compared to most of them, I am, so I just have a laugh with this now. :D

calling people fat is very asian, not just Thai.They are just stating a fact in their opinion.

Mind you, when the last person called me fat, I replied that I have a big knob too.... :o

(was it rude for me to talk about the wife like that?) :D

calling people fat is very asian, not just Thai.They are just stating a fact in their opinion.

Mind you, when the last person called me fat, I replied that I have a big knob too.... :D

(was it rude for me to talk about the wife like that?) :D

I thought she would have known about the knob Chucky, you still chasin them sheep? :o

I agree with meme, I get a lot of fat & sexy (from thai women mostly!) or fat & beatiful (older women) & it am always being touched as I am very fair skinned, My MIL is slightly obessed with my figure & likes to run her hands over my hips & occasionlly my boobs too :o

Sometimes though, you know someone is being malicious so my best one that tends to shut the person up really quick is "thank you so much, so are you" said with a big smile on my face & nodding action whilst looking them up & down :D It's amazing how it isn't considered rude or to be offensive when thai (even when they intend it to be) says to farang but when you say it back, their smile ALWAYS drops :D

I am 6 ft & have an amazon build so even if I was a a skelton thai people would think I was "big" size cause compared to most of them, I am, so I just have a laugh with this now. :D

ah yes, you're right boo, how could I forget the constant groping (sp?) by all the old ladies. One of my bfs very old aunts has just taken to kneeding me everytime she sees me. I stick out my arm for her so she doesnt go for other parts of me :D

5555 that's a great post Boo. I like your method of returning the favor, and I know exactly what you mean when you say they get offended by the same thing that they say or do to you.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I have been felt up by bargirls, old ladies, and on occassion ladyboys :D When I first arrived 4 years ago, they used to tell me I was fat, and it didn't matter what size I was, they all would reach for an extra-large size even though I wasn't. I was only a Western size 9. I only got annoyed by this by the sales people who would try to push anything on me and seemed to think there was a one-size-fits-all for Western women.

But I agree, the friends or casual acquaintances don't mean to offend, but in their world, it is just a matter of fact. Now they all tell me that I am slim-slim, or curvy, by motioning their hand in an hour glass. And once in a while, a thai bargirl or ladyboy will cop a feel :D

This is typical of Thais, in general. So dont worry about such comments. As another poster said, I am also 6'1" (184cm) and according to Thai standards I am fat but they dont understand the difference between fat and big. I have seen less than 1% thai guyz of my height or tall, does that mean, so to say, that they r small. Or the average IQ of thai students are less than their driving speed (average IQ is 88). Should we call them dumbarse?

Stating a fact is different thing but humiliating someone is another story. I remember once we were having food with some indians and all of a sudden a very slim thai friend (she can be easily called a walking stick, coz she is just 5'1" and weighs around 40kg) started saying bad things about indians. Considering the fact that this was to celebrate the wedding ceremony of indian couple, she was too harsh to say it out loud while sitting among indians. Immediately, as expected, all people started to hate her attitude (she is already hated everywhere and by everyone) and nobody talked to her that evening.

In my opinion Thai perspective, in general, is very narrow and they are very much self centered.

Any insight?

One of the reasons they call it like it is in Thailand is the incredibly anally retentive political correctness from the West hasn't arrived here yet.

And Kat, size 9 in the west aint what it used to be.

The people in the fashion industry are a little smarter than you and me. About 20 years ago when the people of the west began to get, um, let's say larger, some clever marketing exec, knowing how important it is for a women to wear a certain "size" of clothing, decided to "revise" the size of womens clothing. This was a huge success and everyone else followed suite.

Let's face it, you'd buy a size 8 dress over one of identical quality and price labelled a size 10, wouldn't you?

My sister whom I haven't seen for a few years recently came over to Thailand and I noticed she'd ballooned out a little. I was surprised and maybe even a little sceptical when she told me that in Australia she was a size 10-12. Hmmm.........

Some people from the west say how small and thin Asian girls are. The fact is 40 years ago women from the west were the same size. It's only in the last couple of generations that western women have gotten bigger (and bigger).

Edited by dgoz

Yes, I've noticed the men in the West getting "bigger and bigger" as well. It is amazing to me how many overweight men there are but also how so many of them complain about the women being overweight.

And actually, dgoz, you are incorrect. Thais are also getting bigger and bigger, and apparently you've never spent much time in the South where the women are taller and heavier than their undersized Northern counterparts.

Frankly, I am apalled at the emphasis so many men seem to place on a woman's appearance, as if the person she is inside doesn't matter if the person she is on the outside is fat.

Yes, well, let me change that to "apalled but not surprised".

And frankly Vespa, you'd be surprised. Where I live plenty of the Thai women are bigger, and amazingly enough, they all manage to attract husbands and have families and normal lives.

Frankly, I am apalled at the emphasis so many men seem to place on a woman's appearance, as if the person she is inside doesn't matter if the person she is on the outside is fat.

In Thailand fat chicks are out. :o

In the US, fat men are out :D

One of the reasons they call it like it is in Thailand is the incredibly anally retentive political correctness from the West hasn't arrived here yet.

And Kat, size 9 in the west aint what it used to be.

The people in the fashion industry are a little smarter than you and me. About 20 years ago when the people of the west began to get, um, let's say larger, some clever marketing exec, knowing how important it is for a women to wear a certain "size" of clothing, decided to "revise" the size of womens clothing. This was a huge success and everyone else followed suite.

Let's face it, you'd buy a size 8 dress over one of identical quality and price labelled a size 10, wouldn't you?

My sister whom I haven't seen for a few years recently came over to Thailand and I noticed she'd ballooned out a little. I was surprised and maybe even a little sceptical when she told me that in Australia she was a size 10-12. Hmmm.........

Some people from the west say how small and thin Asian girls are. The fact is 40 years ago women from the west were the same size. It's only in the last couple of generations that western women have gotten bigger (and bigger).

You think "they call it like it is" in Thailand? That's a new one on me. In fact, they go out of their way to not call a spade a spade, except to tell you if you are fat. And in terms of beauty and appearance, well, every white man in Thailand is a handsome man, right? :o

The fact is, if you are over 50 kilos here, then according to them you are fat. That is simply not a realistic weight for all women, and not even all Asian women. Size and beauty are all relative and culturally influenced, which is the reason why you see adverts for whitening cream everywhere, half-white models, women that talk like babies, and girls that are taking pills and teas to remain at a pre-pubescent 40 kilos. It is the glorification of little girls, not women.

Actually, when I first came here, I was a size 8, and as far as I can tell, clothing sizes in the states have not changed, depending on the designer. In fact, some of them have come under fire because they have not adjusted their sizes. I have vintage dresses that my mother wore, and she was a size 5, which is what I am now. I really don't think that has changed, because when I was a size 4 in the states, they were too big.

Sizes also vary from country to country, so there are no standard size anywhere, especially Thailand.

In Thailand fat chicks are out. :D

Yeah, and fat, balding white men are in.

Edited by kat