Thais Telling You You're Fat

Bellatrix

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The usual greeting of "you look fat" does not bother me a bit, I have lived in thailand nearly 18 years and am quite used to it by now. I have adjusted quite well to those aspects of Thai culture, thank you anyway :o

That said, what cpt money shot is talking about is constant nagging criticism that really has nothing to do with personal appearance at all, obviously, since his fiancee does not appear to be fat. I find this aspect of Thai culture to be, frankly, unacceptable. Just because it is a part of the culture does not make it acceptable in my life. I don't believe that we should blindly accept all aspects of Thai culture as somehow acceptable because that is the way it has always been. Just like I don't accept all aspects of American culture simply because thats the way it has always been.

If people in this country hadn't learned to fight those things of their culture that they find unacceptable then women would still be chattel of their husbands, wouldn't they?

cpt money shot, personally, I think your best response in this manner is to say something along the lines of "Oh, I hate skinny women. I am perfectly happy with the way she looks now and since I am the one marrying her, thats all that matters, isn't it?" With a very big smile on your face, beaming at the mom. That should help shut her up for a while. And say something along those lines every single time she makes a comment about your fiancee's weight. She'll get the message. Good luck :D

maybe also something like, "urgh, women who are too skinny really turn me off & make me feel sick, I think (add gf's name) is perfect, in fact I wouldn't change her & if she lost weight would probably look really ugly like most skinny women do instead of beautifull like she does now" again, say it with a big shit eating grin. Will piss her right off :o

Is there another word for ' Fat ' in English apart from couch potato or big hef... ( don't know how to spell it )

Plump, pleasingly plump, heavy, "larger", zaftig, chunky, overweight, big (like "she's a big woman")--I'm not saying any or all of these will win you friends but they are alternatives to "fat". But it's hazardous talking about weight with farang.

Is there another word for ' Fat ' in English apart from couch potato or big hef... ( don't know how to spell it )

Plump, pleasingly plump, heavy, "larger", zaftig, chunky, overweight, big (like "she's a big woman")--I'm not saying any or all of these will win you friends but they are alternatives to "fat". But it's hazardous talking about weight with farang.

Fat is an unwanted word among farangs just like ' stupid ' that affects Thais as much as ' fat ' that affects Farangs :D

I pretty much decided that I will deal with the father who is awsome, and ignore the mother. Untill we have kids then she can babysit and get up at 3 am in the morning to feed em :o Untill they are old enough to understand her negative insults, then we get a nanny and Grandma only gets to see them everyonce in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

Wish I had your problem.

A Thai girl keeps calling me a walking skeleton. Looks like everyday is Halloween for her!

But it's because I'm an endurance athlete with big strong legs and a thin upper body. Lean but healthy. My BMI is just under 20, whereas underweight is below 18.5.

People in poor rural areas of Thailand are used to seeing walking skeletons, so I look completely normal to them. In big cities with many overfed balloons, a few Thais would say I'm on the skinny side.

Would you rather be called a skeleton or pig? ?